6.9

1. Mar 28, 2015
    Good family entertainment! Steve Martin is funny as always and the kids are good too. The story is good and believable and the jokes are quite funny. Yes, it has the cliches you see in movie with parents who deal with tons of kids but that shouldn't matter to the viewer.
  2. Sep 1, 2014
    Purely lighthearted family comedy. An amusing take on the original version, Steve Martin proves himself much more than likable in this role. One too many kids, not enough laughs.
  3. Sep 26, 2013
    Like most recent Steve Martin movies, sadly to say, this one isn't that good, and focuses on the aspects of family and lighthearted fun. The execution is poor and the script is weak, but the message is warm.
  4. Jul 8, 2013
    A very average family film that deals with the trials of living in a large family. I like Steve Martin and Bonnie Hunt and they do a good job here, but the script failed to capture me fully.
  5. Nov 8, 2012
    Its tediously boring. Martin doesn't let himself go manic the way he should when dealing with all the kids.
  6. Apr 2, 2012
    A wonderful movie all around. There were lots of funny parts and some were hysterical with lasting impressions. I even found some scenes like the dog scene classic. Very good film for mainly a bunch of kid characters.
  7. Apr 2, 2012
    A very easy lay back movie to watch. It is enjoyable and interesting to see all the different characters interact. There were some really funny moments that remain very funny until this day.
  8. Mar 21, 2012
    I loved this movie as a child, I recently watched this on a movie channel and still held up pretty well, Steve Martian shows he still has it, plot was great the script was so-so and ashton kutchers character was kinda annoying despite being bitten in the crotch by the family dog.If your looking for a funny light hearted movie to watch with the family, you've found it.
  9. Jan 9, 2012
    First time watching it is ok. Second time it starts getting way to boring. Third time the movie doesn't seem to pass! Some parts are a little bit enjoyable, but still, no big deal. Just go watch another comedy movie after watching this the first time.
  10. Apr 9, 2011
    A fantastic movie that has humor and likable characters, a good movie for the whole family to enjoy, a truly enjoyable movie that I highly recommend watching.
  11. Nov 7, 2010
    its half-good, and half-bad at the same time.
  12. Brendan
    Apr 17, 2007
    Sure the kids might say "that was so funny!" But trust me when I say it is not. The "funny" scenes in the movie are taken right out of America's Funniest Home Videos but when transfered to the silver screen it leaves you waiting for the unbearable madness to stop. It is a film that everyone is sad and for no reason all of a sudden all the problems are gone and everyone is happy again Sure the kids might say "that was so funny!" But trust me when I say it is not. The "funny" scenes in the movie are taken right out of America's Funniest Home Videos but when transfered to the silver screen it leaves you waiting for the unbearable madness to stop. It is a film that everyone is sad and for no reason all of a sudden all the problems are gone and everyone is happy again for no reason. It's pointless and boring and just plain stupid even for kids. Some kids comedies can be smart and actually be enjoyable for the whole family (Bridge to Terrebithia, Big Fat Liar, Shrek). So when your in the theater watching it remember me when I say "I told you so." Expand
  13. Steve
    Nov 22, 2006
    For kids only. Worse than a bad sitcom.
  14. FeliciaP.
    Jun 18, 2006
    This movie was amazing! All the actors and actresses did an outstanding job. Jake Smith did one of the best jobs along with Alyson Stoner. Great job everyone.
  15. mary
    Apr 5, 2006
    I liked that movie alot the only reason i liked it was cause of jacob i love you.
  16. CheyenneS.
    Apr 2, 2006
    I think cheaper by the dozen is the best movie ever i love jacob smith and tom welling i think they were costed perfcetly.
  17. JessicaS.
    Jan 29, 2006
    It was the best movie ever my favorite charecter was Jake. I love Jacob Smith.
    Dec 15, 2005
    I thought it was pretty good. i dont like it for one reason though, ITS THE ONLY MOVIE TEACHERS AT SCHOOL HAVE!! but its a pretty good movie and i think the critics are being stupid to give it a bad rating.
  19. KaraB.
    Mar 31, 2005
    I thought cheaper by the Dozen was great. i thought it was written really well, and all the charaacters played their parts really well. I thought Jacob Smith did his part especially well. i think he's very talented but, GOD WILL ALL THE GIRLS QUIT SAYING HE'S YOURS! it really bugs me that he probably doesn't even know you but yet you guys are like claiming him!
  20. kelseyl.
    Mar 31, 2005
    I thought it was a very good movie, it was classic and funny. You don't really see any movies like that now a-days. Jacob Smith, Hilary Duff, and Tom welling were my favorite actors.
  21. SarahD
    Dec 25, 2004
    I loved this movie. My favourite is Jacob Smith. He is a hotty. Hey Jacob if ur free, i am available!!! email me sometime. well i love this movie but i would have to agree with the other people hilary duff is like old news. I really liked it when they put ashton kutcher in the pool that was the greatest!!! well g2g remember my offer Jacob!!! haha I LOVE U JACOB.
  22. frankr
    Oct 14, 2004
    This movie was boring! Its a comedy and i cried because of how boring it was.
  23. KelsieA.
    Aug 21, 2004
    This was the best movie I ever saw my favourites are Jacob Smith and Alyson Stoner.
  24. RobertB.
    Jul 24, 2004
    Steve martin is not funny. He does the same thing every time! i hate that bit when he hangs on the chandelier and when the kids attack Ashton Kutcher (who is actually as good as he is in that 70's show). Piper Perabo is the only bright spot. she is so underrated. all the kids were annoying and will not have careers.
  25. HollyZ.
    Jun 11, 2004
    I loved it. and actually, veronique l., im really sorry, but you cant have jabob smith and hes not yours. i really hate it when people try and claim actors when they dont even know them. besides, jake doesnt know you and you dont know him, so everyone just StOp TrYiNg AnD cLaImInG hIm!!! HeS aLrEaDy TaKeN!!! gawd, seriously, jake hates it too, and trust me, i know he does. because i know I loved it. and actually, veronique l., im really sorry, but you cant have jabob smith and hes not yours. i really hate it when people try and claim actors when they dont even know them. besides, jake doesnt know you and you dont know him, so everyone just StOp TrYiNg AnD cLaImInG hIm!!! HeS aLrEaDy TaKeN!!! gawd, seriously, jake hates it too, and trust me, i know he does. because i know him, hes "mine", not yours. because i'm actually going out with him. i know not many people will believe me, if none at all, but stop trying to claim my bf. it makes me really mad when people try and claim him! So StOp!!! Expand
  26. VeroniqueL.
    May 30, 2004
    I love this movie because its funny i like hilary duff in this movie and jacob smith he is such a cutie pie i love him he's mine.
  27. TaylorM.
    May 27, 2004
    I loved Cheaper by the Dozen! It was the best!
  28. MarkB.
    May 16, 2004
    Typical piece of so-called "family entertainment" that relies far too much on vomit jokes and mean-spirited slapstick. You can't blame the two stars, though: Steve Martin projects uncommon warmth (and when was the last time you heard "warmth"and "Steve Martin" uttered in the same sentence?) as the conflicted daddy of twelve, while Bonnie Hunt is an actress who is utterly incapable of Typical piece of so-called "family entertainment" that relies far too much on vomit jokes and mean-spirited slapstick. You can't blame the two stars, though: Steve Martin projects uncommon warmth (and when was the last time you heard "warmth"and "Steve Martin" uttered in the same sentence?) as the conflicted daddy of twelve, while Bonnie Hunt is an actress who is utterly incapable of making a false move. (Supposedly she wrote a much more down-to-earth script that was, of course, immediately squashed.) Even these two excellent performances can't hide the fact that we're talking about two so-called parents who don't deserve one kid, let alone twelve: remember that they're so completely unaware of how completely ostracized one of the more sensitive members of their brood is that he not only runs away from home, but it takes them a while to even notice he's gone! Their story isn't a cause for celebration...it's a reason to call Child Protective Services... ASAP!! Expand
  29. HaleyF.
    May 16, 2004
    I think this movie was awesome! It rocked my sox. But it would have been way better if they showed more of Ashton Kutcher! Love always -Haley p.s- I love you Ashton!
  30. AllieH.
    May 7, 2004
    Awful! I totally agree w/ Sarah B. I'm sick & tired of Hilary Duff! She's soooooo full of herself! She can't act AT ALL! And she really can't sing, her voice it computer generated!!! I would have given it a higher rating if they would have left her out. Because, I have to admit, Ashton Kutcher was hilarious! It should have had more of him!
  31. SarahB.
    Apr 26, 2004
    I am SOOO sick of Hilary Duff! The film would have been at least HALF good of she wasn't in it! She cannot sing, and can barely act, so I'm completely sick of all the rave about her. Besides her, the movie made me laugh a little, but it was fairly predictable, which took away all the emotion.
  32. StaceyG.
    Apr 25, 2004
    Pretty good, Cheaper by The Dozen is nothing new and some people who are sick of movies like cheaper by the dozen will not like it. Althoguh it didn't change any outlook i have on the movies genre or even refresh my opinions on family comedies... It did make me laugh and it did make me smile, the acting was pretty good and so was the film.
  33. OJ.S.
    Apr 19, 2004
    It sucked but it was ok.
  34. SaerA.
    Apr 17, 2004
    (7.5) I really enjoyed Cheaper By The Dozen. It was really fun and funny. I enjoyed it! Fun For The Whole Family!!
  35. SaerA.
  36. G.C.
    Apr 17, 2004
    Ugh...how cliched can you possibly get?!?!? Man, stupid, don't waste your money.
  37. RobertH.
    Apr 7, 2004
    I thought it was funny, in a corny way, but good. It was another stupid good movie. I would recommend it to younger children and adults with young children.
  38. MarkC.
    Mar 16, 2004
    The first half was hilarious. Then it becomes dragging. Nothing happens for a long time. Could have been a great film if they had sustained the early laughs.
  39. Colm
    Mar 3, 2004
    Enough with the Ashton Kutcher and Hilary Duff effect hollywood.
  40. CameronS.
    Feb 28, 2004
    The first 2/3 of this family comedy are hysterical. However, the last third act drags to the extremely conventional it had me cringing throughout. Also, the kids are occasionally selfish, and also twice brilliant. Great for the kids, okay for the adults.
  41. Ari
    Feb 26, 2004
    I looooved d movie! so great! jacob smith is beyond sweet!! I luv Jacob.
  42. Dr.Steve
    Jan 16, 2004
    This movie was genuinely funny and warm, if a little cliche. I thought it was very well-cast. It was a good vehicle for Steve Martin, to let him do some physical comedy, which has always been his best stuff. Bonnie Hunt and Hilary Duff did very well in their roles, as well. It made me laugh over and over. The guys from the university did seem a little like cardboard cutouts, though, just This movie was genuinely funny and warm, if a little cliche. I thought it was very well-cast. It was a good vehicle for Steve Martin, to let him do some physical comedy, which has always been his best stuff. Bonnie Hunt and Hilary Duff did very well in their roles, as well. It made me laugh over and over. The guys from the university did seem a little like cardboard cutouts, though, just there to establish some kind of negative presence. Expand
  43. CaseyM
    Jan 15, 2004
    I thought this movie was excellent!!! it not only kept me laughing, but it reminded me of my family and how crazy things can get.
  44. LeighN.
    Jan 13, 2004
    I love it !!! it is very funny oh god 12 kids wow!!!
  45. AshleyR.
    Jan 13, 2004
    It was very funny and hiliary Duff was a great actor in this movie!!!
  46. KristinD.
    Jan 11, 2004
    This movie really wasn't exactly hilarious. It was funny in cute ways. It is fun to see it once because it really is a cute movie, but only once and never again. It has really good family values and is great for little kids.
  47. Reese
    Jan 11, 2004
    Like many movies this one ended up being too sappy and just plain sickening sweet by the end (which didn't come soon enough). The "aren't kids cute" lack of discipline style of parenting is what really grates, though. For instance, the neighbor parents are presented as uptight A-holes for not allowing their son to skate in the house, while the "good parents" allow their kids to Like many movies this one ended up being too sappy and just plain sickening sweet by the end (which didn't come soon enough). The "aren't kids cute" lack of discipline style of parenting is what really grates, though. For instance, the neighbor parents are presented as uptight A-holes for not allowing their son to skate in the house, while the "good parents" allow their kids to play roller hockey in the house. Try explaining this to your 10-year-old son on the way home. Expand
  48. ConstanceS.
    Jan 10, 2004
    This movie the poster child for birth control. Don't subject yourself or children to this half baked mess. Read the books, rent the classics ("Cheaper by ther Dozen" and sequel "Bells on Their Toes") and pray for Steve Martin's career.
  49. MichaelD.
    Jan 9, 2004
    Suprisingly...Great! Some may be turned off by its manufactured 'feel good' nature, but I would argue that there is an extra refreshing element to this film. With the exception of Hilary Duff, almost all the performances were well done - especially Steve Martin and Bonnie Hunt's. Some cliche characters do emerge as the movie's biggest weakness.
  50. MollieN.
    Jan 6, 2004
    It is super funny! My friend Ellie couldn't stop laughing.It is one of the best movies I have seen!
  51. LarryS.
    Jan 4, 2004
    Yikes! Don't waste your money and definitely don't waste your time. Not even a decent video rental. Same old, all to familiar stupid Steve Martin gags, American moviemaking at it's mediocre worst. Hard to believe anyone would give it more than a 5.
  52. DidiT.
    Jan 1, 2004
    A great family movie ! You'll laugh and just love the Baker family! This film truly shows how any action that you make can affect anyone, whether you wanted it or not ...
  53. MarshaT.
    Dec 31, 2003
    Mind boggling! How could the producers take what was essentially a great idea and turn it into such a lousy movie? It must take an awful lot of hard work to extract every single theme from a book that was so carefully written it became a classic. And believe me when I say they took it ALL out. What's left is a pointless series of gags and stunts that even Steve Martin can't Mind boggling! How could the producers take what was essentially a great idea and turn it into such a lousy movie? It must take an awful lot of hard work to extract every single theme from a book that was so carefully written it became a classic. And believe me when I say they took it ALL out. What's left is a pointless series of gags and stunts that even Steve Martin can't save. What a disappointment! Expand
  54. WAKOJAKO
    Dec 30, 2003
    It is a pretty sad situation where the outakes at the end of a film are funnier than anything in it. This film should have been titled "Let's Make A Big Mess," for both literally and figurativelly that is what it enbodies. It comes from filmmakers who believe tossing a frog into a huge egg breakfast platter or repeating a falling chandelier non-joke ten times is funny. Not to mention It is a pretty sad situation where the outakes at the end of a film are funnier than anything in it. This film should have been titled "Let's Make A Big Mess," for both literally and figurativelly that is what it enbodies. It comes from filmmakers who believe tossing a frog into a huge egg breakfast platter or repeating a falling chandelier non-joke ten times is funny. Not to mention Steve Martin's constipated look, but given the material, it's no wonder. The only saving grace: Bonnie Hunt, who could make even this drivel watchable. But she is in the movie so little, that I found the overall experience exceptionally gruelling. Expand
  55. RyanB.
    Dec 29, 2003
    CRITICS SUCK, they don't know comedy, this movie was hilarious.
  56. RyanB.
    Dec 29, 2003
    CRITICS SUCK, they don't know comedy, this movie was hilarious.
  57. JonM.
    Dec 26, 2003
    Astoundingly unfunny and boring. It is also a stretch to imagine that a man who coaches football for a living could be so ineffectual at imposing discipline of any sort at home. A complete waste of time.
  58. FrankG.
    Dec 25, 2003
    Steve Martin is funny. Funny lady. Kids are there to make us laugh. They are in a big house. Lots of kids and they are getting tired. Makes laughs. The story is funny and funny lady. Kids are all over the place. Maybe they are mormons. The end is the best. You will like it.
  59. AlecS.
    Dec 23, 2003
    One of the five best movies I've ever (co) written!
  60. ScottM.
    Dec 22, 2003
    Great Family film with a lot of heart and laughs. It's a very well made Hollywood Family Flick that both kids and adults can both enjoy!
  61. Brookline
    Dec 22, 2003
    Martin was hilarious and so was Hunt. The kids were also hilarious.

1. Much as I adore Martin and Hunt, whose matching tongue-in-cheek delivery and finite patience make them seem more like siblings than spouses, their movie is indistinguishable from an Afterschool Special.
  2. Resembles nothing more than an overstuffed, undernourished "Brady Bunch" episode, only not as funny.
  3. Equal parts fantasy and cautionary tale, a film that manages to be uplifting and off-putting simultaneously -- fortunately, more the former than the latter.