4.7

1. Jun 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I found the first half of the movie good. If it would have stuck with the first half, and continued as a documentary, this movie would have been a 9 or a 10, easily. The second half of this movie is frustrating, with bad camera angles, and constant sprinting from zombies, something which is being overused. The idea was great, even with the zombies, and this movie had a lot of potential. How the movie was presented was close to pathetic, and it was just frustrating seeing the wasted potential of this movie. Expand
  2. Aug 8, 2012
    What I enjoyed the most, was the complete lack of logic, no plot, bad acting and less brain then Paris Hilton has
  3. Mar 11, 2013
    Chernobyl Diaries is the Directorial debut from Bradley Parker and Written by the man who brought us four installments of Paranormal Activity, Oren Peli, but the only thing original about this film is it's location. A group of friends are traveling through Europe in what looks like a shot for shot remake of Hostel, when they meet a man who gives tours of the abandon city near Chernobyl.Chernobyl Diaries is the Directorial debut from Bradley Parker and Written by the man who brought us four installments of Paranormal Activity, Oren Peli, but the only thing original about this film is it's location. A group of friends are traveling through Europe in what looks like a shot for shot remake of Hostel, when they meet a man who gives tours of the abandon city near Chernobyl. After being rejected entry into the city, the group sneaks in and runs into a whole mess of trouble. This is your very basic zombie film, with nothing extraordinary about it. You've seen this story a hundred times, but what makes Chernobyl Diaries different is that it takes place in Russia and features a talent cast. What's interesting about this cast is that none of them have any background in horror. Jesse McCartney is a singer who does mostly voice over work, and Devin Kelley is almost strictly a TV actress. Taking these role was something new for them and they really put all they had into it. I feel like it was wasted effort though, as this film really is nothing different. Friends on vacation go to a unique location and run into something supernatural that tries to kill them, it's been done over and over again. The unique location made for a great start to something, unfortunately the writers didn't know what to do with that, and the result is another ordinary film that gets an average rating. Expand
  4. Aug 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie, is bad and good. But, mostly bad. What really pissed me off about this movie was how it ended.. It didn't leave me extremely disappointed, but extremely pissed. You find out that Chernobyl is pretty much controlled by these people. The movie went too fast. It was one thing after the other. The acting was pretty awful. But, I was somewhat entertained. Expand
  5. Jun 23, 2012
    I did not think this was a great film its pretty low-budget to be fair so it's not got much to work with so taking that in to consideration its worth a watch Hills Have Eyes comes to Russia.
  6. Jun 5, 2012
    Besides the point of it taking a controversial stance of actually daring to touch the already sensitive subject of Chernobyl, it doesn't give any love or care into it at all. We've been on this ride before hundreds of times. The ninety minutes of this was the longest two years of my life. With zombies and vampires on the rise and flooding the markets in the movie and game section I thoughtBesides the point of it taking a controversial stance of actually daring to touch the already sensitive subject of Chernobyl, it doesn't give any love or care into it at all. We've been on this ride before hundreds of times. The ninety minutes of this was the longest two years of my life. With zombies and vampires on the rise and flooding the markets in the movie and game section I thought it would be different, I actually miss not and going seeing a zombie or vampire film that's barely passed as B-Movie now. If people want to explore Chernobyl and go to Pripyat, my advice would be to actually go there or stop by and pick up S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl for PC from 2007 or S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat for PC from 2010. They offer more entertainment and actual scares then this does while actually getting to see real time mapped landscapes and scenery from their current time. Expand
  7. Jul 7, 2012
    I had a rather good time watching this. It is the kind of low budget movie you know will get made over and over. Simple idea. Simple execution. Simple to follow. And easy to enjoy. In fact there's not even a need for real name actors of any kind... If you are an independent filmmaker and your uncle has a bag full of money, make this movie. It will work. Guaranteed.
    I found the script to
    I found the script to be well crafted. It didn't ask much from the audience. The problem upon which the horror theme is built is quite simple. It revolves around a nuclear disaster with enough notoriety to gain instant credibility. What of the small towns that surround the Chernobyl nuclear meltdown? Specially when we have in current news the nuclear disaster in Japan? Perhaps we should repeat this formula in its Japanese version? I'm in!
    The scares come mostly from what we don't see. A job well done by the filmmakers. They keep us wondering what the hell is out there? And they actually hold out long enough to show us and stay interested. Also, the Russian guide does a great job hinting at the fact that he knows more than he is telling these kids. And the kids themselves make good use of their roles. Believable all the way through.
    I don't want to give away the surprises. But if there was a small shortcoming, and I do insists on short, it was their practical effects budget. You'll see what I mean.
    I would have rewritten the ending slightly different. A couple of choices didn't need to overdo it, but it is believable where it is. I liked it, and I'm sure you won't be disappointed when you watch it.
  8. X0R
    Jun 11, 2012
    While this was filmed really well, it was an awful movie. I felt guilty later since so many people suffered from that incident, and here I just paid $$ to watch basically a spoof on a tragic event - - wished I would have donated the money to a charity instead.
  9. Jun 24, 2012
    An interesting concept with flaws with the actors as they unravel to become the most annoying and dumb characters ever to be in modern day films. I found myself in tense situations because of some of the interesting choices of "freaks" and "creatures". But overall vastly flawed.
  10. Oct 20, 2012
    There is no denying the set pieces are amazing. I will give the film one point for that. Another point comes from the creative writing and conversations the characters have towards the start of the movie. And the third and final point comes from the fact that this is not a found footage film. I'm sick of those. Other than that this is a scare-deprived, cop out ending, recycled piece of garbage.
  11. Sep 30, 2012
    Whilst there are a few moments where tension is built nicely, the fact that the only interesting thing about the film atall is the setting says a lot. A forgettable breeze of a horror movie that packs a few moments of brief tension, but no actual scares to back it up.
  12. Nov 20, 2012
    Chernobyl is scary as hell
  13. Oct 29, 2012
    "Terror in Chernobyl" is not a perfect film, but it has its quasi-found-footage charm terrifying. This is due to the simplicity of fictional suspense, and perhaps the film disappoint Hollywood fans, but it fits well and leads to a curious adventure where terror is not just a pompous CGI monster. It's like a little walk of skewed insinuation becomes in darkness radioactive danger.
  14. Jan 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Chernobyl Diaries" has a promising setup, but ultimately gives you nothing you haven't seen before in countless other horror films. When a group of American teenagers accepts an offer from a Russian extreme tourist guide to an abandoned town just outside Chernobyl, they quickly discover they're not alone and find themselves in a grim fight for survival . . . only, really, there's less fighting in this movie than just vaguely incoherent running, chasing and split-second scary images. It honestly plays and feels like a found-footage movie, despite not actually being one, and although the acting is decent, it's only at its best in the first act, when it's relying on the atmosphere of the abandoned town itself to build suspense. After that, you just get some dogs, a bunch of people you never see clearly, a series of moronic decisions to continue further and further into the high-radiation zones (they actually end up right outside the friggin' Chernobyl reactor), and a conclusion that is as unsurprising as it is unoriginal. I'll give the film credit for its characters, as they are much more believable and likeable than most other horror flick teenagers, but they're only slightly less idiotic in their decisions and, of course, all die (the last one counts, I say). The result? A rather messy and underdeveloped film that wastes an engaging context on cliches, tropes and a thorough lack of authentic tension or excitement. Expand
  15. Jan 12, 2013
    "Chernobyl Diaries" is like being in the world of Silent Hill which is 100% scary, no, terrifying to be honest.
    "Chernobyl Diaries" delivers good scares, good scenes, and a great horrific-adventurous plot, with a great movie twist, expected somehow that they will get stick in Chernobyl, but great!
  16. Oct 12, 2014
    Very awesome! I would like to see pewdiepie on this movie and hearing him screaming like a little girl.

I don't know why this movie has low ratings, I enjoyed a lot.
  17. Mar 16, 2013
    This movie stinks, just another terrible horror movie. How fun would it be to visit Chernobyl? That is a serious question that this movie asks. Chernobyl Diaries is one of the worst of 2012.
  18. Apr 23, 2013
    I honestly can't believe all the negative reviews, In my opinion from so-called horror movies like Paranormal Activity, Saw, Psycho, etc. This has been the mos entertaining sure the characters were bad, excluding. the girl who made it to the end, She was actually the only real one and good one and smart one. Sure I didn't get scared my girlfriend jumped a few times, but eh. But theI honestly can't believe all the negative reviews, In my opinion from so-called horror movies like Paranormal Activity, Saw, Psycho, etc. This has been the mos entertaining sure the characters were bad, excluding. the girl who made it to the end, She was actually the only real one and good one and smart one. Sure I didn't get scared my girlfriend jumped a few times, but eh. But the atmosphere was creepy. I liked the idea a good mutant/zombie film better then 28 Days Later. Were ever Chernobyl actually happened this better not be shown there or America will have another war going on, unless there reasonable enouh to realize its just a movie. The only part of the film tha literally felt the most unrealistic didnt include any mutants, it envovled a bear in some building. My point is watch it. Expand
  19. May 1, 2013
    I am not a fan of this genera of movie. I am normally a scaredy cat but this movie didn't even make me flinch. The acting was horrid, it even made me laugh it was so bad. I liked the idea of being in Chernonyl and the exposer to radiation. I think they could have done it a lot better than they did.
  20. May 4, 2013
    This is the scariest horror I have seen. The suspense and tension is jaw dropping and some quality plot twists towards the end.

NO SPOILERS: The story is about 6 people who take a tour out to Chernobyl were the reactor core 4 blew up 26 years ago causing everyone to evacuate and while they are there they become stuck and with no one to help them they are lost... but are they alone.

The acting is mediocre with some bland acting mixed with good but its the atmosphere and tension which really keeps the movie alive and it never drops is pace of awe and terror and using the atmosphere around them really keeps it interesting. The only problem I have with the movie is that I fell the characters could of been more deeper and interesting as they are very generic but still worth a buy under 8 pounds or a rent and it really doesn't deserve the bashing its been getting.
  21. Jun 11, 2013
    That's a great film. Good plot and great direction. The end.. bahh extraordinary I am sad that this movie has such bad reviews. In my opinion it's a must-see horror movie of the decade. Not the best of course, but still a good one
  22. Jul 29, 2013
    Chernobyl Diaries is far from the Paranormal Activity series or Insidious, but it is a good film in its own right. View the film knowing that it is less for the scares and more for the anxiety. Appreciate it for what it is meant to be. The acting isn't great, but the camera work and setting are absolutely phenomenal. A+ cinematography on this film. Motion graphics not so much, butChernobyl Diaries is far from the Paranormal Activity series or Insidious, but it is a good film in its own right. View the film knowing that it is less for the scares and more for the anxiety. Appreciate it for what it is meant to be. The acting isn't great, but the camera work and setting are absolutely phenomenal. A+ cinematography on this film. Motion graphics not so much, but cinematography was excellent. In regards to the end, since everyone seemed to hate it to the bones, what did you think was going to happen? For once a horror film fully realizes that sometimes actions have consequences. Though it seemed like a no brainer story-wise, it played completely original on screen and I honor Peli for that. Chernobyl Diaries is not the greatest horror movie ever made, but it is worth a watch. Expand
  23. Sep 26, 2013
    Chernobyl Diaries in an effective thriller, but only good at most. It is shot in the style of Paranormal Activity, except the story that captivated millions in Paranormal doesn't show here. Instead, we have a shell of a horror movie that has many clich├ęs and flaws, but is worth a look-see. Well, at least a look-see at the last half hour, because the rest of the movie is just filler.
  24. Oct 21, 2014
    The idea is fairly unique and creative making for and interesting plot, however It's dim scenes and shaky camera movements make for a difficult ride. So interesting it deserves a sequel (A shot at redemption)
  25. Feb 18, 2014
    Simply aweful. The movie itselfdragged on and on despite its relatively short run time. To be clear it is not found footage, it's just bad filming. I had high hopes for the movie as Chernobyl is a very unique setting, however that is where the uniqueness ends. If you've seen one bad horror movie, you've seen this one. Any difference would be that there aren't actually any scary parts orSimply aweful. The movie itselfdragged on and on despite its relatively short run time. To be clear it is not found footage, it's just bad filming. I had high hopes for the movie as Chernobyl is a very unique setting, however that is where the uniqueness ends. If you've seen one bad horror movie, you've seen this one. Any difference would be that there aren't actually any scary parts or suspense. Many have said it's a low budget film as though that's an excuse, but i have seen scarier movies on YouTube. The acting was meh but that's probably more a consequence of the bad writing. The characters seem to be competing with those from Scary Movie for idiocy. If there is an upside, it's that the movie is so bad it makes it easy to miss some of the many plot holes. The mutants are strong enough to filp a van over and roll it at least a hundred feet but cabt push a door open? The guy with the broken leg runs quite a ways back to the van but then cant walk? At one point the group walks for 5-10 minutes in one direction but then it takes them at least 6 hours to go back the same distance. There are numerous times when things like flashlights just appear in the characters hands. Not to mention the idea that spending 3 days within 1/2 a mile of Chernobyl should have made them all very sick. This movie is bad from start too finish, don't waste your time watching it. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Jun 21, 2012
    Diaries is dark and gruesome, but with little in the way of genuine shock or surprise, you should expect the expected.
  2. Reviewed by: Hank Sartin
    May 29, 2012
    If, as some critics have claimed, "The Cabin in the Woods" made the horror genre obsolete, someone forgot to tell screenwriter Oren Peli.
  3. Reviewed by: Wesley Morris
    May 26, 2012
    The movie wants us to find this frightening, but there's no suspense, no terrifying images.