Roadside Attractions | Release Date: February 29, 2008
6.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 10 Ratings
Watch Now
JohnR.Mar 15, 2008
Pretentious, boring and manipulative.
JayH.Aug 21, 2008
Great subject, very informative, but the animated segments are irritating and distract from the power of the subject matter. It's amazing that it all happened to begin with.
KenGNov 9, 2008
As an extensive history lesson this is a bit fuzzy, but what this film does very well is capture the spirit, mood and the tone of both events (the riots and the trial) in a way that is intense, powerful, and harrowing.
DjdFeb 29, 2008
Pretentious and tedious, this film tries so hard to be hip it might as well have prohibited any viewing except on the 16 GB iPhone. Morgen's very self-conscious direction provides no context for the events of the film leaving most Pretentious and tedious, this film tries so hard to be hip it might as well have prohibited any viewing except on the 16 GB iPhone. Morgen's very self-conscious direction provides no context for the events of the film leaving most viewers scratching their heads and unmoved. This lack of background does a disservice to his heroes by not showing the tiniest bit of the reasoning and provocation for their actions which would've humanized them. Instead, they come across as immature pranksters. When the climax of the film comes, the protesters being throttled by the police, all Morgen can do to try and make you feel something is crank up the score which just feels manipulative and diminishes the emotions that could've been felt. A perfect example of style over substance. Is it that hard to achieve both? Expand
DaveMar 6, 2008
Very interesting film. Since I was very young during the DNC in Chicago in 1968, this was very educational to me. I thought there would be more animation, but overall very good.
SusieAug 21, 2011
The movie is just not focused and for someone who wants to know about the persons in the film, there is not enough background info. I agree with one other review which states they are presented as young prankster. That trial set the tone forThe movie is just not focused and for someone who wants to know about the persons in the film, there is not enough background info. I agree with one other review which states they are presented as young prankster. That trial set the tone for all future "political" trials in the U.S, and it affected the rest of the world.
What happened to these people. I saw on PBS TV on its Independent Lens program. Very disappointing.