Chicago

8.0

1. Aug 27, 2011
    Perhaps Chicago is meant to be self-analytical in commentary on shallowness in nearly everything, but that doesn't forgive the fact that it is indeed shallow. While it's flashy and pretty funny when it needs to be, in the end, Chicago is still a miraculously vapid movie underneath it all, and that, in the end, makes it boring when it's not belting.
  2. Mar 13, 2014
    The ambition and devotion to 'Chicago' is blindsided by a contempt for all the protagonists (the exception being John C. Reily, whose Mr. Cellophane is truly heartbreaking) and a certain modernization of an era that was not nearly so "razzle-dazzle" as the film portrays it to be. I still can't get by the self-obsession of Renee Zellweger and Catherine Zeta-Jones. That's really why I can'tThe ambition and devotion to 'Chicago' is blindsided by a contempt for all the protagonists (the exception being John C. Reily, whose Mr. Cellophane is truly heartbreaking) and a certain modernization of an era that was not nearly so "razzle-dazzle" as the film portrays it to be. I still can't get by the self-obsession of Renee Zellweger and Catherine Zeta-Jones. That's really why I can't give the movie higher than an 8. A 6 is because it wasn't 20's to me. Expand
  3. Jul 29, 2014
    "Chicago" is a genre classic, but it actually praised more than deserved. Performances are generally good, the premise very intriguing, but is somewhat weak as a picture. The plot can be unintelligent at times, and there are too many numbers overshadowing the storyline. Zeta-Jones and Queen Latifah are more than adequate fits. Overall, "Chicago" has some strong qualities, but is also"Chicago" is a genre classic, but it actually praised more than deserved. Performances are generally good, the premise very intriguing, but is somewhat weak as a picture. The plot can be unintelligent at times, and there are too many numbers overshadowing the storyline. Zeta-Jones and Queen Latifah are more than adequate fits. Overall, "Chicago" has some strong qualities, but is also perhaps a little overrated. Expand
  4. SteveH.
    Jun 30, 2003
    It's okay. It was not good enough to be best movie of the year. Best movie should have gone to Gangs Of New York or Far From Heaven instead. The movie was cute but not monumental.
  5. Jack
    Mar 22, 2003
    It's okay, but hardly impressive, and many dance numbers are badly filmed.
  6. DanC.
    May 3, 2004
    While not bad, it is very overrated.
  7. JohnM.
    Mar 29, 2003
    Great kix moulin crap rouge :)
  8. HalW.
    Nov 28, 2003
    The costumes and cast were excellent and full of life but the storyline was a bit dull to me and dragged the whole movie down.
  9. DaveC.
    Jul 21, 2004
    A very routine celluloid adaptation of the broadway music. Never really demonstrates any creativity in bringing it to screen and it doesn't help that the dance sequences are ordinary and Renee Zellweger and Catherine Zeta Jones' vocals aren't up to scratch. An enjoyable film but nothing to shout about.
  10. chw
    Mar 12, 2015
    As far as I know, Chicago is the worst movie of the movies that have won Best Picture. It is completely overrated, more overrated than most bad best pictures...and Frozen.

1. Reviewed by: Noel Murray
    Mar 3, 2014
    The original musical holds up well, and Marshall and Condon’s adaption doesn’t wreck it.
  2. Freshly transplanted from the stage, is a thrilling ode to the intertwined glories of sex, showmanship, and lying: what the film calls ''the old razzle-dazzle.''
  3. I seem to be in a distinct minority in finding the satire toothless, obvious, and insufferably glib -- Still, I found genuine pleasure in watching Catherine Zeta-Jones, Renee Zellweger, Richard Gere, and John C. Reilly try their hands at singing and dancing.