6.8

1. Mar 2, 2012
    A proof that animated films are not just for kids but for adults as well. This is the film that should have won the Oscar for Best Animated Feature. I like Rango but it wasn't anything spectacular compared to this. Pretty much one of the best romantic films I have ever seen. It's portrayal of the early 50's is breathtaking, its design is unique, the animation, though simple, is full of life and energy and allows the simplest facial expression become a legit emotional feeling, the two leads are realistic, charming, complex and have an unrivalled chemistry and the music is authentic and timeless. I honestly couldn't see this as a live action film as it wouldn't capture the emotion and expression that the animation allows into the love story. I am in love with this film. Great story, great characters, great animation, great music. If you love romance films, don't ever pass this up on DVD. Expand
  2. Lyn
    Jan 20, 2013
    It's hard to explain how a Spanish-language film featuring not-that-sophisticated animation could be so utterly captivating. The music helps, of course, and the way the star-crossed Cuban lovers evoke another time. I thought of "Calle Ocho," "The Mambo Kings" and "An Affair to Remember." Loved it.
  3. Feb 14, 2012
    I may not be very stunned by this movie as i was from a foreign animated movie with "The Illusionist" but this still was extremely dazzling, amazing and quite charming movie. An adult animated movie with a classic romantic story over the span of life time and places with deep cultural roots and lovely jazz dazzle to it, this is a good movie to watch.
  4. Nov 27, 2013
    "Chico & Rita" offers a beautiful and charming moment. Trueba brings a fantastic old story about love. "Chico & Rita" is like "Porgy & Bess" with latin sounds and excellent honor to Bebo ValdĂ©s. "Chico & Rita" and "Wrinckles" are newest beginning of Spanish animation cinema history. Soundtrack is faboulous, plot is solvent and directing is correct. AzĂșcar!!

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Apr 14, 2012
    It's called Chico & Rita, but their film could just as easily have been titled "Chico & Cuba." In both cases, it's a film are about a long-lost love, and in both cases it is steeped in such a pitch-perfect sense of place -- and affection -- that you can almost smell the cigar smoke as it unfolds.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Apr 6, 2012
    When a place and its people are this stylish, we can't help but be drawn to them.
  3. Reviewed by: Shawn Levy
    Mar 29, 2012
    It's hot and sweet and made with inspiration and cheek. And it is not your children's animated fare -- which, in this case, is a recommendation.