Universal Pictures | Release Date: December 25, 2006
8.4
Universal acclaim based on 1068 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
FilmMasterEddyAug 13, 2016
The end is nigh in “Children of Men,” the superbly directed political thriller by Alfonso Cuarón about a nervously plausible future. It’s 2027, and the human race is approaching the terminus of its long goodbye. Cities across the globe are inThe end is nigh in “Children of Men,” the superbly directed political thriller by Alfonso Cuarón about a nervously plausible future. It’s 2027, and the human race is approaching the terminus of its long goodbye. Cities across the globe are in flames, and the “siege of Seattle” has entered Day 1,000. In a permanent war zone called Britain, smoke pours into the air as illegal immigrants are swept into detainment camps. It’s apocalypse right here, right now — the end of the world as we knew and loved it, if not nearly enough.

Based in broad outline on the 1992 dystopian novel by P. D. James about a world suffering from global infertility — and written with a nod to Orwell by Mr. Cuarón and his writing partner Timothy J. Sexton along with David Arata, Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby — “Children of Men” pictures a world that looks a lot like our own, but darker, grimmer and more frighteningly, violently precarious. It imagines a world drained of hope and defined by terror in which bombs regularly explode in cafes crowded with men and women on their way to work.

Seriously. “Children of Men” may be something of a bummer, but it’s the kind of glorious bummer that lifts you to the rafters, transporting you with the greatness of its filmmaking. Like Clint Eastwood’s “Letters From Iwo Jima,” another new film that holds up a mirror to these times, Mr. Cuarón’s speculative fiction is a gratifying sign that big studios are still occasionally in the business of making ambitious, intelligent work that speaks to adults. And much like Mr. Eastwood’s most recent war movie, much like the best genre films of Hollywood history, “Children of Men” doesn’t announce its themes from a bully pulpit, with a megaphone in hand and Oscar in mind, but through the beauty of its form.

It may seem strange, even misplaced to talk of beauty given the horror of the film’s explosive opening. For Theo, the emotionally, physically enervated employee of the Ministry of Energy played without a shred of actorly egotism by Clive Owen, the day begins with a cup of coffee, an ear-shattering explosion and a screaming woman holding her severed arm. The Mexican-born Mr. Cuarón, whose previous credits include the children’s films “A Little Princess” (1995) and “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban” (2004), as well as the supremely sexy road movie “Y Tu Mamá También” (2001), has always had a dark streak. But nothing in his résumé prepares you for the shocking realism of this explosion, which proves all the more terrible because here it is also so very commonplace.

The action is swift, ferocious, spectacularly choreographed, with bodies careening wildly amid a fusillade of bullets and flying glass. Yet what lingers isn’t the technical virtuosity; it’s that after the car screeches off, Mr. Cuarón’s camera quietly lingers behind to show us two dead policemen, murdered in the name of an ideal and left like road kill. He forces us to look at the unspeakable and in doing so opens up a window onto the film’s moral landscape.

“Children of Men” has none of the hectoring qualities that tend to accompany good intentions in Hollywood. Most of the people doing the preaching turn out to be dreadfully, catastrophically misguided; everyone else seems to be holding on, like Theo’s friend Jasper (Michael Caine, wonderful), a former political cartoonist who bides his time with laughter and a lot of homegrown weed while listening to Beatles covers and rap. Still others, like Theo’s wealthy cousin, Nigel (Danny Huston, equally fine), who’s stashing away masterpieces like Michelangelo’s “David” for safekeeping in his private museum while Rome, New York and probably Guernica burn, can only smile as they swill another glass of wine. Hope isn’t the only thing that floats, as a song on the soundtrack reminds us.

There are, Mr. Cuarón suggests in “Children of Men,” different ways of waking up. You can either wake up and close your ears and eyes, or like Theo you can wake up until all your senses are roaring. Early in the film Theo and the restlessly moving camera seem very much apart, as Mr. Cuarón keeps a distance from the characters.

Every so often the camera pointedly drifts away from Theo, as it does with the dead policemen, to show us a weeping old woman locked in a cage or animals burning on pyres. In time, though, the camera comes closer to Theo as he opens his eyes — to a kitten crawling up his leg, to trees rustling in the wind — until, in one of the most astonishing scenes of battle I’ve ever seen on film, it is running alongside him, trying to keep pace with a man who has finally found a reason to keep going.
CinemaphileJul 29, 2016
I'd forgotten what a complete movie Cuaron's Children of Men is. Worth it for the 4 different "long takes" worthy of Hitchcock and cold dystopian atmosphere worthy of Kubrick.

It's also worthy of anyone owning it on BluRay.
choomtabi31Jun 1, 2016
This was an excellent film and a totally new take on an apocalypse movie. Superb acting and realism without the Hollywood polish.

Watch it online for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-637-Children-of-Men
oDjentoDec 12, 2015
One of my favourite films of all time. This film contains excellent performances, incredible cinematography, insane tracking shots and a story that is tense and well written that it keeps you feeling stressed for the characters all the wayOne of my favourite films of all time. This film contains excellent performances, incredible cinematography, insane tracking shots and a story that is tense and well written that it keeps you feeling stressed for the characters all the way through. Alfonso Cuaron created an under appreciated masterpiece here that is one of the best underrated films ever. I would recommend this to literally anyone.
If anyone wants to know one of the reasons this is one of my favourite films ever, just watch the car tracking shot. You'll know which one I mean.
RobertBroganSep 28, 2015
If you are a fan of filmmaking and world-building sci-fi then Children of Men is a must-see for the production values (reminiscent of Brazil in that respect). It looks like a lot of work went into the sets and there are so many extras; it isIf you are a fan of filmmaking and world-building sci-fi then Children of Men is a must-see for the production values (reminiscent of Brazil in that respect). It looks like a lot of work went into the sets and there are so many extras; it is quite a spectacular, cinematic experience. Expand
2141Sep 26, 2015
this is blatantly the best movie I have at least ever seen. Everything about this movie I love I hail alfonson Cuaron as the best director of our time. As I write this the movie has been out for 9 years and for a movie that Is 9 years oldthis is blatantly the best movie I have at least ever seen. Everything about this movie I love I hail alfonson Cuaron as the best director of our time. As I write this the movie has been out for 9 years and for a movie that Is 9 years old still looks like It came out yesterday. It's just that good. ! Expand
VinceRocks123Jun 4, 2015
Easily one of the most important sci-fi films ever made of the 21st century, Gravity director Alfonso Cuaron brings one of the most chilling apocalyptic novels to the big screen!

In the year 2027, a massive chemical war has left all of

In the year 2027, a massive chemical war has left all of humanity infertile, the inability to reproduce, in the middle of the chaos, cynical bureaucrat Theo Faron (Clive Owen) discovers mankind's new hope in a young pregnant african refugee and her miracle baby. Theo is soon placed responsible for the unborn child's safety as he helps get the refugee out of the country in a futuristic United Kingdom now divided by an islamic themed war-zone and a militarized all-british industrial society, that has made all immigration illegal through the government's growing bigotry and intolerance.

featuring other well done performances by Julianne Moore, Michael Caine, and Chiwetel Ejiofor, this film is very dramatic in its message and a painfully unbearable future apocalypse we wish and hope will never happen!

hands down one of the best science-fiction films since Planet of the Apes and the Day the Earth Stood Still.
borderlinefilmsFeb 5, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Keep Rolling

If one scene in Children of Men, more accurately, one shot, isn't being played over a hundred times, dissected, analyzed, sped up, slowed down, played in reverse, and thoroughly deconstucted in film schools right now, there's something fundamentally wrong with film schools.

This uninterrupted take running over 4 minutes is shot in a car with runaway rebels: the driver and Julianne Moore in the front, and Clive Owen, the pregnant woman and another character cramped in the back. The shot begins with Moore and Owen playing games as they motor merrily along a hillside country road to their designation and, after fleeing from a gang of murderous counter-rebels, ends with two cops being shot to death and left on the road.

I'm not sure many movie audiences consciously appreciate the skill and mastery of a long uninterrupted take. There are no edits. There is no room for error. There is no stopping and starting and shooting from various angles, then filtering out unwanted material and tweaking the content, flow and pace in the editing room. It's one, long uninterrupted take. It is an actual unadulterated document of the action. I suppose this effects a kind of documentary realism, which explains why steadycams have been replaced with shakycams. I notice them all the time. When a film has too many cuts in it, I figure there wasn't much patience and confidence shared on the film set. The editor may be trying to save the film. With cutty films there is less risk and challenge because you can shoot the same scene so many times in so many ways and splice them to splinters. Save it in post. The editor is the filmmaker.

The long shot in Children of Men is a work of sheer genius. A single continuous take from inside a car driving down a country road starts off with Moore and Owen playing a game: blowing and catching a ping-pong ball in each other's mouths. This game sets up and illustrates how risky and challenging the rest of the shot will be, bordering on plain recklessness. The playfulness will be contrasted by the ensuing terror. If the ball bounced off their teeth it would have been easy enough to cut and restart until they got it right, since it was only a minute into the shot. Neat trick but now comes the crazy magic. Cue the flames as a burning truck rolls down the hill to cut them off. The driver slams to a halt and reverses as an army of screaming militants emerge from the woods, throwing rocks, beating sticks, and smashing through Moore's window. Moore throws up her hands to protect herself from flying shards of glass. A Molotov cocktail smashes and flames up on the hood. The shot continues while they drive in reverse. A motorcycle breaks out from the swarm, buzzing towards them, firing a gun shot which breaks through the windshield causing Moores's blood to splatter. We see she's been shot in the throat. Owen covers her to stop the bleeding. As the motorcycle speeds closer, Owen throws open his door to precisely knock one rider off the back of the bike, hurling to the ground. The motorbike crashes against the car and we see the bike and the other rider spin in the air and hit and bounce off the ground. The shot continues as the windshield cracks open and the car turns around to drive forward. Moore's bleeding can't be contained and she dies. They are pursued by the two policemen who pull them over at gun point. The driver steps out and shoots both cops dead. Owen scrambles out of the car (with the cameraman) to scold the killer. They drive off into the distance leaving behind two dead cops (and the cameraman).

WOW! All this in one take. Four fabulous minutes. It's kind of choppy and the timing misfires here and there, but it's still an incredible and incredibly exciting work of filmmaking. I haven't researched how this amazing shot was pulled off because I don't care to deconstruct the beauty and mystery out of it. The POV is always in the car with five people (six, including the cameraman). Not a big car yet the camera manages to move and circle around freely within a confined interior. Even if this was shot with the finest, smallest digital video camera available at the time, it still needed an operator. A really skinny small kid perhaps? This long take stands out in the movie. In its entirety, the movie is worth watching, and for this shot alone deserves a perfect score. I challenge you to watch it only once.

There is another uninterrupted shot of note in the film. Owen and the pregnant woman enter a dingy old room, Owen pays off the provider and proceeds to wash his hands as the woman lays back on a beat up mattress, and then as Owen coaches the woman, he sterilizes his hands and handles the baby when it emerges from the womb, then rests it on the mother's belly, umbilical cord and all. One take, 3 1/2 minutes. This time there would be no second tries. There are no tricks here. The fiction is blurred. Clive Owen is the midwife who delivers the newborn.

(Though a wandering close-up betrays the baby might have been planted off-camera.)
NikolaiChernovJan 16, 2015
If you take the movie for what it is, it is a much more enjoyable experience rather than sitting their asking questions like, "How did this girl get pregnant in the first place?" Remember, it is just a movie, and an amazing one at that.
vikesh2206Dec 31, 2014
Presented through its believable dystopian society, the riveting and thought provoking Children of Men" works as an evocative link to the real world, a visceral action thriller and a standout for director Alfonso Cuaron and cinematographerPresented through its believable dystopian society, the riveting and thought provoking Children of Men" works as an evocative link to the real world, a visceral action thriller and a standout for director Alfonso Cuaron and cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki. Expand
SynystarSep 4, 2014
You probably won't like this movie unless you are experienced at life. Regardless of what any one has told you you ought to give it a chance. Pay attention to details and try to feel it.
beingryanjudeAug 25, 2014
Extraordinarily terrifying, Children of Men serves as a disturbing warning of what may become of Men and our world. Alfonso Cuaron and his cast prevent the audience from ever questioning the reality of this apocalyptic version of our world...Extraordinarily terrifying, Children of Men serves as a disturbing warning of what may become of Men and our world. Alfonso Cuaron and his cast prevent the audience from ever questioning the reality of this apocalyptic version of our world... quite simply because they are too damn convincing. One of the best films of the decade for its look ahead and futuristic thrills. Expand
ExKingFeb 18, 2014
Children of Men is a beautiful movie, from the first 10 minutes you can notice that it's class A movie with every element, i was astounded by the first explosion because it was so realistic, then i began to notice the environment and i was soChildren of Men is a beautiful movie, from the first 10 minutes you can notice that it's class A movie with every element, i was astounded by the first explosion because it was so realistic, then i began to notice the environment and i was so impressed by it, it's like they created an entire city to shoot the movie in, that's reminded me of the importance of Cinematography.
and this movie gotta be the most realistic expectation of reality i have ever seen, we all seen movies that pushed as 20 or more years, and it's all about technology, but this movie takes a different direction,
the last 30 minutes for me was a blast, because i haven't seen a realistic representation of a street conflict since Black Hawk Down and that movie was beautiful.
Alfonso Cuarón should be praised for his astonishing director skills and the movie is enjoyable to the max.
MickJaguarOct 14, 2013
What an absolute gem of a movie. Overall, the movie was brilliantly conceptualized and executed. The world the movie paints seems like a world inhabited by actual people. The grim London streets inhabited by street toughs and desperate,What an absolute gem of a movie. Overall, the movie was brilliantly conceptualized and executed. The world the movie paints seems like a world inhabited by actual people. The grim London streets inhabited by street toughs and desperate, hungry immigrants, the prison camps in which immigrants are herded like cattle by the watchful eyes of sadistic military-police, the bombed out, Balkan-like war shelters all serve to transport the viewer into the dystopian future in which the movie is set in, as well as the desperation its inhabitants face. The stunning, visually arresting cinema verite cinematography also serves to heighten the sense of realism of the film. The jaw dropping camera work made me feel the chaos, fear, paranoia and confusion the characters felt in the brilliant conceived and executed action scenes. What a rush! While the bravura visual effects are worth the price of admission on its own, Cuaron does not skimp out on content. The film is a heady brew of ideas that riffs on everything from the nature of the police state, the widening economic disparity between the rich and the poor, immigrant rights to the vapidity of our tabloid-driven culture. However, Cuaron manages to convey these heady ideas without being preachy or overtly political. Cuaron seems to trust that the viewer is intelligent enough to draw his or her conclusions. However, the one aspect that ties it all together is the human element. The characters are well fleshed out and the actors brought brought incredible performances that bring the characters to life. Clive Owen brings a Humphrey Bogardian performance as the protagonist, Theo Farron, a world-weary cynic whose cynicism is rooted in pain. As Farron, Owen displays fear, paranoia, anguish (and even the vacant stare of a mindless office drone beat down by the daily grind of the 9-5). Yet Owen's Farron also displays humor, warmth, bravery and resiliency. In short, Owen's Farron is a complete human being, not the stock action hero caricature that is so prevalent in big budget Hollywood thrillers. Chiwetel Efiojor is at times both warm, but chilling and manic as the rebel leader Luke. Clare-Hope is a revelation as Kee. ****'s Kee displays the vulnerability of a teen in need of guidance, but also a fierce innate resolve and a sense of humor. The plot moves along at a brisk pace, until it ends in an ambiguous ending that leaves as much questions as answers. Indeed, that aspect bothers viewers who disliked the film. A minor quibble if you ask me. If you are an OCD afflicted math nerd who needs every plot strand to be bow-tied neatly, or a small-minded nitwit who needs to be shown everything, then you will probably dislike the movie. If, however, you enjoy well shot films that are not only entertaining on a visceral level but also have something to say, you will most definitely enjoy this film. One of my favorite movies for sure. Expand
ThegodfathersonOct 6, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Children Of Men is a unique, breathtaking and fresh film that is director Alfonso Curaon's best film yet. Yes, I have watched Gravity but this film is sad, scary and brilliant. Clive Owen gives a great performance as Theo Faron- a normal officeman who lives in a future world of Britain of 2027. The country raged with war and no democracy and a rule of having no children or fertility tests. The tables pound when Theo's ex girlfriend Julian played by Julianne Moore finds a 17 year old girl named Kee who is an illegal immigrant and needs help to get off coast and join the Human Project. Theo was suspicious but moved along with the plan. Luke played by Chiwetel Ejiofor a man who works with Julian is extremely raged and rushed about the pregnancy to come. When Mariam the caretaker of Kee takes the newly with Theo to thier safe house on a farm, Julian gets shot by some random raged teenagers who are part of the Anti Social Human Society. When Theo and Luke try to run they get stamped by police who Luke shoots later on. Theo gets more suspicious when Luke shoots the officer and asks him why. Luke stays quiet about the inquiry. Theo finds out on the farm that Kee is pregnant and can change the world with the last baby on earth. Theo overhears Luke talking to his gang members to kill Theo and snatch the baby from Kee to make him a part of the society. Theo informs Mariam and Kee when the others chase them. Theo takes them to his friend Jasper played by Micheal Caine. But they don't last long and Luke finds Jasper and kills him in his house in front of his handicapped wife. Theo and Kee escape and Theo swears that he will fulfill his promise. When Jasper's friend Syd helps them get a boat he also betrays them for money and the baby. Mariam gets taken by the border patrol camp. Now the question wrapped around the film is that will Kee and Theo escape the horror of war and the violence of sadness and get to their goal? Children of men is beautiful and very sad to watch but it is a wonder of cinema. Expand
miwojApr 11, 2013
One of my all time favorites and one of those rare occurrences where movie is way better then a book it is based on. I watched it a dozen times and i will watch a dozen more time in the future.
sanyrubMar 23, 2013
Awesome film. The idea is very interesting and you are in from minute one. Every character is there for a reason you keep finding as the movie goes on. Great cinematography. There is an action sequence towads the end that it is a 10 out ofAwesome film. The idea is very interesting and you are in from minute one. Every character is there for a reason you keep finding as the movie goes on. Great cinematography. There is an action sequence towads the end that it is a 10 out of 10. Actors do their job nicely. So well done you feel the characters. Entertaiment plus quality. If only most successful films could be like this... Expand
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
Alfonso Cuaron's "Children Of Men" takes place in the not-too-distant-future where every woman is infertile and world order is on the brink of collapse. Theo Faron (Owen), a conflicted diplomat, is kidnapped by his ex-wife and revolutionaryAlfonso Cuaron's "Children Of Men" takes place in the not-too-distant-future where every woman is infertile and world order is on the brink of collapse. Theo Faron (Owen), a conflicted diplomat, is kidnapped by his ex-wife and revolutionary (Moore) to escort a refugee to freedom. However, what Theo doesn't know is that this refugee is in fact a pregnant woman. Thus, a epic and provocative quest ensues. In this world nearly every country's government has fallen. Therefore, as the only nation left standing, the U.K. must deal with millions of illegal immigrants trying to take refuge within their country. This prompts the U.K. drop into a militarized police state where violence and death are commonplace. Interesting enough, what I enjoyed most about this movie was the atmosphere. The world in "Children Of Men" is so disquieting, and so scary. You can tell that the art directors really took an extensive amount of time to make this setting look as dreary as it's supposed to be. The setting's bleakness is accentuated with really appropriate lighting. However, the cinematography also offers some really beautiful shots of the ravaged U.K. The screenplay is really well written, and it is performed equally as well. Clive Owen really shines in this roles, and Michael Caine plays a character that has a bundle of hilarious lines. Another aspect of this film that I admired is the fact that Cuaron utilized single-shot. This means that when the crap hits the fan for Clive Owen and Co. the cameras never stop rolling and the whole sequence is filmed in one single take. Which brings me to another aspect of "Children Of Men" that I enjoyed - the final sequence of the film. This film's final sequence used the aforementioned action scene technique and it also features a really interesting yet spoilerish dynamic that I can't share. You'll just have to watch it yourself. Overall I felt that "Children Of Men" was an awesome piece of speculative fiction that effectively serves as a cautionary tale for everyone to take seriously. Expand
TokyochuchuOct 15, 2012
Children of Men is a thunderously exciting film, featuring amazing performances and fantastic action scenes. The sci-fi flavored world the movie creates is also utterly convincing. Children of Men is brilliant from start to finish.
IIISPQRIIIOct 2, 2012
Easily one of my favorite movies from a cinematographic point of view. There are at least two scenes in "Children of Men" that make the film as great as it is. Without trying to give away too much, there is an action scene near the end thatEasily one of my favorite movies from a cinematographic point of view. There are at least two scenes in "Children of Men" that make the film as great as it is. Without trying to give away too much, there is an action scene near the end that is shot in one take, lasting about 10 minutes, and is just an amazing feat of accomplishment. The story is also very well played out, but don't expect to understand every aspect and angle as they are not all fully developed (an aspect I actually liked considering most stories spoon feed you explanations that sometimes should not be included in the natural flow of events). Expand
cabritaAug 31, 2012
The film succeeds because of it's dramatic power. this is a result of the great camera work and great acting. However I found the films themes to be a bit week but this is a really weak criticism.
sammyramoneAug 29, 2012
Children for Men is an astonishing movie for taking an idea most people haven't ever thought off what if people have kids no more ho would that effect the world.This movie is dark gritty movie about how a normal avergae guy gets caught up inChildren for Men is an astonishing movie for taking an idea most people haven't ever thought off what if people have kids no more ho would that effect the world.This movie is dark gritty movie about how a normal avergae guy gets caught up in some mess and is linked up with the only pregnant womam in the whole world.Alfonso Cuaron's direction is amazingly portrayed into the storyline.A near perfect film I sggest you watch it even if you already have. Expand
DoehlApr 21, 2012
Children of Men is a sci-fi thriller that not only brings about new ideas for the future, but also has much contemporary impact mostly because it intelligently and insightfully places contemporary issues into a futuristic context.
futurefinderFeb 23, 2012
I read a review saying the premise of this movie was unrealistic, most of the issues raised in this movie are happening today! It has left me thinking, and I'm glad i decided to watch it.
House0fWolves_Dec 16, 2011
Another apocalyptic, eerie film that I could watch on repeat. A thrilling ride that didn't even need to incorporate astounding effects due to the intricate plot. Bravo.
Alexander_FredDec 14, 2011
Children of Men is a film that becomes something more than itself. It is political. It is intelligent. It is emotional. And most importantly it speaks into the lives of people in this day and age teaching us about our own humanity. Aside fromChildren of Men is a film that becomes something more than itself. It is political. It is intelligent. It is emotional. And most importantly it speaks into the lives of people in this day and age teaching us about our own humanity. Aside from minor faults including one of the worst birthing scenes in modern cinematic history, the film truly makes the viewers a part of the action. During the climactic final battle, the camera moves in such a way that the viewer feels himself being a part of the scene. Violence may be present, but never is it used for the sake of violence. Rather it is always used as a tool to further explore the thematic elements of morality, humanity, and the politics that get in the way of both. The dystopian future is perhaps the greatest since A Clockwork Orange and in many ways may even be better. The use of varied cinematographic elements and the musical accompaniment to the film add wonders in bringing the vision of Alfonso Cuarón to life. Editing then weaves together the brilliant performances from Clive Owen and Chiwetel Ejiofor. This is not a movie to be watched for cheap thrills or laughs, but a film that must be taken seriously. And when that is done, truth will be spoken into the lives of all who witness it. A tear or two may come as well. Expand
nashville13Nov 1, 2011
this movie could really predict the future,'cause the issues such as old age crisis and war which stated in this movie are happening in almost every country now.(2011) this movie's right, the old age crisis could really bring a plague upon the earth.
JAM123Oct 23, 2011
This was an interesting movie. Don't get me wrong, it was an awesome movie and it had a cool soundtrack and an amazing cast. Alfonso Cuaron did an amazing job of making a fantastic movie out of this shallow story line. It had a good scriptThis was an interesting movie. Don't get me wrong, it was an awesome movie and it had a cool soundtrack and an amazing cast. Alfonso Cuaron did an amazing job of making a fantastic movie out of this shallow story line. It had a good script though, I would have picked it. It was a strange movie but highly reccommend. Expand
RodrigoBGCSep 27, 2011
Alfonso Cuarón is simply the best in the art of camera, this movie is brilliant the message that leaves you is incredible and show us that no matter how dark is the sky we can always find hope
Potter17Sep 26, 2011
Forget about zombie-apocalypse. "Children of Men" shows we don't need monsters to make our society collapses. The dark creatures responsible for our doom live inside the humans themselves.
MultipurposeSep 15, 2011
As it has been said, you'll either love or hate this movie. Personally, as I enjoyed it, it's hard to understand why others dislike it. There's talk of poor character development, unanswered questions, etc. The problem is, with characterAs it has been said, you'll either love or hate this movie. Personally, as I enjoyed it, it's hard to understand why others dislike it. There's talk of poor character development, unanswered questions, etc. The problem is, with character development, if the protagonist goes on the traditional route (naive to weary to underdog to champion to victim etc.) it's completely cliche and it has been done thousands of times. You can go into a movie and you already know exactly how the character is going to react to every plot twist and curve that comes along, and it's boring! You know "well obviously, this every day regular guy is clearly going to reject the ludicrous things he is being told. Then slowly he is going to accept them, then embrace them, then champion them, and then get burned by them, and then redeem them".

So I'm happy when there's this character who comes along, and we don't need to spend an hour watching him reject the plot of the film, only to then embrace it. Not to mention, actually, there is quite a good amount of character development in this movie. I can't be bothered to explain it all, and if you missed it, obviously you weren't paying close enough attention, and that's not the directors or actors fault.

Regarding "unanswered questions". That was one of the themes of the entire movie (besides "hope"). No one knows what's going on. No one knows what the next day will bring. The rest of the civilised world has collapsed. What, did you want some scientist in a doctors coat and big classes, while holding some test tubes, to explain in the last 30 seconds of the movie what caused the sterility of the world, and what caused the female protagonist to become pregnant? These questions were left unanswered because, as is the theme of the movie, no one knows why. Basically, if you go into a movie wanting it to do something, you will always be disappointed, because it won't do what you want. If you go into a movie and strap yourself in and enjoy the ride, you're going to enjoy it. You can't blame a movie for not doing something you want it to do, especially if doing such a thing would destroy the entire theme of the movie. Great movie, 9/10, the cinematography was beautiful, some really professional and inspired work there.
Anthony1111Jul 2, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It honestly seems like a lot of the negative reviewers don't look at the aching humanity that basically pours out of this film. The reason I felt it was great is because, while the plot may be simple, the emotion and, more importantly, the reaction of the characters, is incredibly well acted and scripted.
The film also seems to ask a lot of questions, most of which are terrifying in their implications, and that is exactly what kept me watching until the end.
For those of you who don't see character development: Do you honestly think the man Clive Owen portrayed in the beginning would be sitting in the boat with the baby at the end of the movie?
And we all know that even though it is only one baby, what would be the point in waving an endeavor to possibly save all of humanity as futility?
DamienDarko777May 6, 2011
I'd have to say this is one of the best science fiction movies ever made. The cinematography, the performances, the music, the story, everything about it excels. The director convincingly presents a bleak near-future where humanity has goneI'd have to say this is one of the best science fiction movies ever made. The cinematography, the performances, the music, the story, everything about it excels. The director convincingly presents a bleak near-future where humanity has gone infertile and is slowly dying out. Add in gut-wrenching action scenes, a particularly wonderful performance by Michael Caine, and an anti-fascist subtext, and you have a brilliant humanistic tale. Expand
MorningtonOct 23, 2010
I feel that Children of Men is an electric motion picture that is both original and evocative of early cinema, where the skilled manipulation of the viewer is carried out to evoke raw, visceral feelings that are primeval within us.
dijavantewowOct 17, 2010
The one long, one-shot scene alone was enough to make anyone realize that the cinematography is above the rest. The plot is interesting, and I do like where the director goes with it. I liked this movie, and was under the impression that mostThe one long, one-shot scene alone was enough to make anyone realize that the cinematography is above the rest. The plot is interesting, and I do like where the director goes with it. I liked this movie, and was under the impression that most thought it was just okay, until I saw this page. I'm glad more people agree with me, because this one was impressive. Expand
NF123Aug 23, 2010
Alright, I thought the film pushed too hard on immigration politics as a couple of critics noted but aside from that I don't have a problem with it, at all. The charachters are superb and in the beginning and middle we're given a chance toAlright, I thought the film pushed too hard on immigration politics as a couple of critics noted but aside from that I don't have a problem with it, at all. The charachters are superb and in the beginning and middle we're given a chance to know about them, but then at the end the film literally explodes and throws you in the middle of a war with the most intense action scenes since saving private ryan. It does this very smoothly aswell to the point where you don't mind that it's really become a different film. I don't really use this word a lot because I think it's shamefully overused in the metacritic user reviews and critics themselves overuse it, but this film is quite simply a Masterpiece. Expand
rodericrinehartAug 14, 2010
Although it leaves you wondering what happened, this is a movie that sticks in your brain. Like a good meal, you will think about it afterward. Disturbing and entertaining.
andyrApr 20, 2010
It was above average and might be a 7.5, but between a 7 and 8 I lean a little towards the 8. I'd say it's worth seeing, but I'm not sure you'll remember it the way other really good movies do.
DarcieKDec 26, 2009
This movie is brilliant and the cinematography is astounding!
8 of 10 users found this helpful
P.M.Dec 16, 2009
The cinematography alone merits a perfect score. It is revolutionary, pushing the boundaries of cinema like never before! It evokes powerful emotions and sends an important and highly relevant political message. Unfortunately, many have The cinematography alone merits a perfect score. It is revolutionary, pushing the boundaries of cinema like never before! It evokes powerful emotions and sends an important and highly relevant political message. Unfortunately, many have missed the point of the film. Complaints about realism and the lack of a proper resolution? I bet these people would try to make those very same complaints about Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Bladerunner, and other sci fi classics. Expand
LuciaCOct 30, 2009
This was good for thinking but it needed answers not questions!!!!!
JDOct 8, 2009
Wow the level of idiocy of some of these users just blows my mind...like the guy who kept complaining that London isn't like the one in the movie. It's a fictional FUTURE you genius. Anyways, I LOVE this film. It's very Wow the level of idiocy of some of these users just blows my mind...like the guy who kept complaining that London isn't like the one in the movie. It's a fictional FUTURE you genius. Anyways, I LOVE this film. It's very engaging, the cinematography is excellent, and the acting is great. Expand
JamesKJul 15, 2009
Not only does it have action and suspense to rival the best thrillers but it is also deep and enchanting. The directing alone makes this film a must see, but combined with everything else it is even more of a masterpeice.
russelljonesFeb 8, 2009
This film is fantastic. The dystopian future that Clive Owen's character Theo has to live in is believable and grim. Theo lives in a future where women are all infertile and the youngest person is 18 and has just been killed. Theo isThis film is fantastic. The dystopian future that Clive Owen's character Theo has to live in is believable and grim. Theo lives in a future where women are all infertile and the youngest person is 18 and has just been killed. Theo is understandably cynical and bordering on alcoholic. His true friend being an hippy played my Michael Caine. Hope is rekindled in Theo when he is introduced by his ex-wife to a young girl who is pregnant and needs them to take her to a rendezvous point. The film is about Theo's journey and his realisation that he is playing a part in something which is much bigger than him. The concept and vision of a world without children is a scary prospect and is something I never thought about until I watched this film. There are criticisms I have heard from friends. The first is the film doesn't explain why this infertility epidemic arose. My opinion on this is that it reflects real life, no one knows how Aids originated for instance. The second criticism is the low key ending which I personally love, I love the ambiguity of this ending which imbues the nature of sacrifice and your own pessimism or optimism will determine whether that was in vain. Expand
R.LopezFeb 4, 2009
I was wandering in a DVD shop one day just looking for something to buy, anything that looked interesting and I came across Children of Men, at first I wasn't really interested in it so I went on to look for something else, but I was wandering in a DVD shop one day just looking for something to buy, anything that looked interesting and I came across Children of Men, at first I wasn't really interested in it so I went on to look for something else, but amazingly something compelled me to buy this movie. And I did, and now I'm glad I did Children of Men does what most dystpoia sci-fi adventures rarely do, they tell a story that all of us can relate to in someway or another. Children of Men stars Clive Owen as Theo Faron a disillusioned bureaucrat who has been tasked with the sole duty of escorting and protecting the first pregnant woman in 18 years to the Human Projects so they can utilize her pregnancy to fix the fertility problem with the world. It's a heart pounding & mind blowing visual race to get out of England before the government catches them and use the poor girls baby for publicity and to acquire money to fiance there war with the rebels. Children of Men is a heart wrenching film that deserves to be called one of the greatest modern Science Fiction films ever made. I very highly recommend this amazing film. Expand
RobVJan 29, 2009
Concerning Sibyl P's blind attempts to hurt this movies reputation, it wasn't about violence. It was about the hope new life brings in a world doomed by a fate of infertility. The scene when the man walks through a war zone Concerning Sibyl P's blind attempts to hurt this movies reputation, it wasn't about violence. It was about the hope new life brings in a world doomed by a fate of infertility. The scene when the man walks through a war zone carrying the baby which was born not more then a few hours ago, when everyone just stopped and looked at the child... That's what the movie was about. The death was the back drop of a world without meaning. That child gave it meaning. That's why the movie was so great. Expand
PhilM.Jan 13, 2009
I've never seen violence filmed so well before. It feels like you're watching footage, and not film. The use of less cuts and more one-shot "following behind the protagonist" and using less action music to create a more intense I've never seen violence filmed so well before. It feels like you're watching footage, and not film. The use of less cuts and more one-shot "following behind the protagonist" and using less action music to create a more intense effect. I also like how the characters are genuinely fearing for their lives when under violence. The environments look the part beautifully. Very immersive film. Expand
AlexP.Dec 27, 2008
Put you on the edge of your seat and does what so few other movies do: not only causes you to examine the world, but also your impact on it, and then leaves you determined to shape your own future.
johnDec 21, 2008
Perfect movie. The director has giant balls. More movies like this need to be made.
USMCGuyOct 5, 2008
Only intelligent people who don't need to be spoon-fed every single plot point should watch it. This movie plays out as the book, relies on stark realism of how the world would be without children, without a future. However it Only intelligent people who don't need to be spoon-fed every single plot point should watch it. This movie plays out as the book, relies on stark realism of how the world would be without children, without a future. However it doesn't tell you anything, and the ending is left open. The director said it's up to the viewer to decide their own ending. An optimistic person will say 'happily ever after.' and A pessimist the opposite. And the average moronic moviegoer will say "But what happens next? ZOMG THIS MOVIE DIDNT TELL ME EVERYTHING IT SUCKS" So... what are you? Expand
DerekColemanSep 18, 2008
!!!!!!!!!!READ!!!!!!!!!! Every time I see a movie that I believe is good, I like to read all of the negative reviews, as it helps me to conclude my opinion. Yes, the plot of this movie was not a conventional one, nor did the ending leave us !!!!!!!!!!READ!!!!!!!!!! Every time I see a movie that I believe is good, I like to read all of the negative reviews, as it helps me to conclude my opinion. Yes, the plot of this movie was not a conventional one, nor did the ending leave us with a sense of closure. However, there are many factors that make this movie unique and brilliant. The events portrayed in this film are so realistic that it can almost be classed as non-fiction science fiction. I can't believe the naivity of people who think that society wouldn't revert back to the dark ages if a pandemic of this speed and magnitude were introduced to humanity. I think the best scene in the movie was the part where Theo is being driven to his cousin's place and the song "In the Court of the Crimson King" by King Crimson is being played. The scene is Theo (Owen) observing what transitioned from a crowd of desperate protestors and "fugees" to the high class citizens of Britain as he is chauffeured to his cousin's place. The scene was filmed brilliantly and the choice of music was absolutely perfect. The only reason I gave this movie a 9 and not a 10 is because the plot could have been a little better in the fact that it is greatly unbelievable that the infertility pandemic would have onset to every human in the world so quickly. I just couldn't believe that Theo and Julian had a child, Dylan, and now for some reason couldn't. If Theo and Julian were born infertile then that would have made more sense to me. The fact is, having children is what gives the majority of humans a sense of purpose and meaning. I feel that this movie did an excellent job in portraying the insanity that would ensue from a massive infertility pandemic. Who knows, if something like that were to happen in the future, perhaps it would be an even more violent and bleak existance for the remaining humans on Earth. Expand
HaleighOSep 7, 2008
Awesome, original movie. people complain that all movies are so predictable and then when the ending doesn't go how they want, like theo dying for example, they still complain. it was meant to have alot of unanswered questions because Awesome, original movie. people complain that all movies are so predictable and then when the ending doesn't go how they want, like theo dying for example, they still complain. it was meant to have alot of unanswered questions because it's a dystopian film- it makes the audience think for themselves. Expand
FinnAug 30, 2008
One of the best movies i watched in a LONG time. Sure, there isn't much different from a lot of other action movies "Someone is important, and he/she has to survive till he/she made the destination", but the story, the suspense, acting One of the best movies i watched in a LONG time. Sure, there isn't much different from a lot of other action movies "Someone is important, and he/she has to survive till he/she made the destination", but the story, the suspense, acting and a brutal look at how our future might look like if something like this might ever happen. I wont go in further details, all i can say is that i loved it, and i recommend everybody to check it out. Expand
WesM.Aug 24, 2008
Pretentious at times, but overshadowed by consistent excellence in the form of an odd-but-good coupling of minimalist filmmaking and pervasive epic-ness. I'm making up terms.
GarryL.Aug 11, 2008
One of my favorite films of all time. An ambitious, complete and chillingly believable vision of the near future. It is beautifully shot - action scenes are visceral and made all the more heart-pounding with the decision to extend them into One of my favorite films of all time. An ambitious, complete and chillingly believable vision of the near future. It is beautifully shot - action scenes are visceral and made all the more heart-pounding with the decision to extend them into shots minutes long, rather than Hollywood's customary nanosecond cuts. It is gloomy and uncompromising, but this is because it's an honest script that doesn't pander to viewers who, rather than being challenged by what they've seen, would like some soggy popcorn happy ending as an antidote to their daily grind. Expand
SamuelAug 2, 2008
Great acting, great story, great suspense, great everything really. Its flaws are minor and its strengths are amazing. Bravo.
TimP.Jul 28, 2008
A true gem of a film. It is clearly intended to make viewers think... I've read some mixed reviews and it seems that those who slated the film either didn't understand it or are cretins who prefer cheesy Hollywood action flicks. A true gem of a film. It is clearly intended to make viewers think... I've read some mixed reviews and it seems that those who slated the film either didn't understand it or are cretins who prefer cheesy Hollywood action flicks. Very realistic and gritty scenes - most realistic birth scene I've ever seen. The use of hand held cameras, and the blood on the lens for several minutes adds to the realism of the film. Caine's portrayal of a dope growing hippie was fantastic and very entertaining. A breath of fresh air to not have to watch a film dumbed down for the American market - I recommend it! Expand
JimKJul 26, 2008
I found this movie fascinating, well acted, and well filmed. It is in many ways a basic chase movie, but the twists and turns are satisfying and unexpected. I would recommend it to anyone who can handle a fair amount of violence and I found this movie fascinating, well acted, and well filmed. It is in many ways a basic chase movie, but the twists and turns are satisfying and unexpected. I would recommend it to anyone who can handle a fair amount of violence and bleakness. Also, I'm a bit baffled by some of the plot hole complaints other reviewers have made, e.g., the source of infertility (rather superfluous), why infertility would cause global chaos (rather obvious), etc. The plot may feel a little rushed at times, especially in the first 15 minutes, but there aren't any major flaws I found bothersome. All in all, highly recommended. Expand
RandyM.Jun 27, 2008
Well...what can I say about Children of Men? It's a completely heartbreaking thrill ride that'll keep you glued to your seat. Simply outstanding.
CodeyB.Apr 6, 2008
Anyone who rides this film off as no-braining idiot culture obviously has a clue on, well, not much at all... With it's surreal presentation, Children of Men gives just a tiny, oh so sweet taste on several powerful problems that could Anyone who rides this film off as no-braining idiot culture obviously has a clue on, well, not much at all... With it's surreal presentation, Children of Men gives just a tiny, oh so sweet taste on several powerful problems that could potentially rock the human race in times too come. As the director and producers explore and apply their philosophies, an interesting, albeit quite bland story emerges. However it is the way the world of Children of Men exacts itself on the viewer that makes this movie what it is. Hidden in the subtlties is indeed something rich that sets this movie apart and defines it as a must see. Expand
ClintonS.Mar 23, 2008
In 20 years, the only movie people will remember from 2006 is "Children of Men." I enjoyed the "Departed" and "Letters from Iwo Jima", but "Children of Men" is truly extraordinary. It is not uncommon for truly great movies to be ignored when In 20 years, the only movie people will remember from 2006 is "Children of Men." I enjoyed the "Departed" and "Letters from Iwo Jima", but "Children of Men" is truly extraordinary. It is not uncommon for truly great movies to be ignored when they are released. This movie was released on Christmas and people failed to notice. The acting is first rate and the Cuaron told this story in a innovative and compelling way. Please watch it. Expand
AndyM.Feb 15, 2008
This movie is spine-tinglingly, blood-curdlingly, skin-crawlingly good. It is filmed in such a dynamic, constant-shot fashion that the realism is disturbing. When I first saw the movie, I was constantly questioning the main premise: How were This movie is spine-tinglingly, blood-curdlingly, skin-crawlingly good. It is filmed in such a dynamic, constant-shot fashion that the realism is disturbing. When I first saw the movie, I was constantly questioning the main premise: How were all the women infertile? And why? What changed things? But in the end I realized that these questions are not the important part of the movie. It's the pure humanity portrayed, a humanity that is so true to form that you never forget it. When a character dies, it feels horrifically bland and absolute, as if it were real life. Don't watch this as a captivating sci-fi or a intricate action; watch it for the human nature that is so convincing in this picture. Expand
PaoloSFeb 15, 2008
This film makes a good attempt to speak out against Western capitalism, and how nothing is too far, however it makes the mistake of doing this through narrative and tries to persuade the audience to sympathise with the characters, which at This film makes a good attempt to speak out against Western capitalism, and how nothing is too far, however it makes the mistake of doing this through narrative and tries to persuade the audience to sympathise with the characters, which at times, obscures the political message, as the audience will become emotionally involved with the characters as opposed to looking at the film with an objective eye. Expand
ElaineR.Jan 28, 2008
Compelling movie with outstanding performances.
RayB.Jan 19, 2008
The characters and the world in which they find themselve struggling to survive (and save the human species) moved me moreso than any other film has in ages, But, ultimately, it was the story of disillusioned, beaten-down, ordinary people The characters and the world in which they find themselve struggling to survive (and save the human species) moved me moreso than any other film has in ages, But, ultimately, it was the story of disillusioned, beaten-down, ordinary people trying to make their way in a brutal world that can sometimes be quite beautiful but often is not and how they somehow find it in themselves to rise to the occasion and be heroic in ways they could never have expected of themselves. I watched the movie and immediately calculated my age in November 2027 to be 64. It's far enough away to be a world we can avoid if we elect the right leaders and globally make the right decisions, but it's also a world that's already here in so many ways - a world where Iraq is never contained and the entire world except possibly the United Kingdom has become Iraq. It's beautifully filmed and remarkably edited. The acting and writing is the best of 2006, possibly the best of the past ten years. It's despairing and anxiety-producing and supremely upsetting. And, strangely, it is the most hopeful movie I have seen in a long time. Many questions aren't answered - such as why women are infertile and no child has been born since 2009. But the people who live in this dystopian future, namely us 20 years from now, don't know these answers either. So would it really have been fair for me sitting confortably at the theater in Battery Park City to know when they didn't? See this movie. Wait a month or two and see it again. Then have a long conversation over pie and coffee with two friends who've also seen it more than once. It is uncommonly good filmmaking. Oh, and one more thing - in two scenes there are shots panning newspaper and magazine clippings; pay close attention and learn what's happened since 2006 - i.e. "Kazahkstan Annihilated" - the film delivers exposition as good as I've ever seen it. Expand
SeanM.Jan 17, 2008
Absolutely brilliant, Clive Owen at his peek as he shows us why he's an outstanding acto, A++ performances by all the actors, this is such a great movie as it shows something that we probably take for granted in our lives
DerekDec 31, 2007
It's baffling how many people completely miss the point.... lets dig a little deeper, my god. Easily one of the best films from 2006, check it out.
KeithJDec 30, 2007
The professional reviewers explain why the movie's good. To answer user comments: 1 - why does it matter what caused infertility? This isn't a jigsaw puzzle or CSI: Miami. 2 - if you think it "ended in the middle" without The professional reviewers explain why the movie's good. To answer user comments: 1 - why does it matter what caused infertility? This isn't a jigsaw puzzle or CSI: Miami. 2 - if you think it "ended in the middle" without conclusion, perhaps you should stick to the Spider-Man or Superman franchises of movies. The ending was plenty clear. Expand
BushM.Nov 27, 2007
extremely well done. The director is amazing. How every scene is done in one huge take is incredible. One of the best movies I've ever scene.
A.DOct 16, 2007
You can touch the real future in this film.
mattallenOct 15, 2007
Reading comments by ignorant fucks like Brian K. just aggrivate the shit out of me. His examples of why the movie was bad were just dreadful. Mention of a specific cause for the sudden infertility isn't necessary because it wouldn'tReading comments by ignorant fucks like Brian K. just aggrivate the shit out of me. His examples of why the movie was bad were just dreadful. Mention of a specific cause for the sudden infertility isn't necessary because it wouldn't have added anything to the overall message of the film (here I'll make a name of the disease up for you Brian-"You're a fucking cuntface-itis"). The ending was perfect. Rather than showing Khia being taken in and examined and the baby examined, etc. we just get a shot of the boat coming to rescue her. What more could you ask for? As for the blood on the camera, yea it had no specific purpose, but these guys are doing bravura long takes and the one that happened to be the best one was the one where blood happened to spray on the camera. It's really not that big of a deal and to have such an insignificant thing lend to you giving the movie a 3 is just ridiculous. I hope I never have to meet you Brian K. or anyone like you because it would just make me wish your mother would have been struck with a disease that rendered her incapable of having children. Expand
TravisS.Oct 14, 2007
Why did infertility impact the human race? The death, war, and despair, that the film takes place in, is the reason. The human race had F*(Kd things up so much that someone/thing had to interrupt us and force us to step back and take a look Why did infertility impact the human race? The death, war, and despair, that the film takes place in, is the reason. The human race had F*(Kd things up so much that someone/thing had to interrupt us and force us to step back and take a look at what we are.... do we deserve to live? do we as a race deserve to go on? I think the obvious answer the movie shows is absolutely not. The rape and pillage of the natural world caused something to strike back at as... and it spared us. All the past f*(K ups die away and the new and "week" inherit the world. what stepped un to wake us up? what ultimately spared us? I'm not religious, but obviously it was God. That's not what the point of this story is. the point is that we have messed things up beyond repair, but we were spared. Brilliant movie... I could go on for hours. Expand
PrinceR.Sep 15, 2007
Greatest movie of the century which can change the world if the whole world see this movie together.
MortenNAug 6, 2007
This is a great movie. It was emotionally captivating, had great action sequences and gave the right balance between solving the mysteries and letting us think for ourself. I honestly don't understand those who think this movie suck.
RussellJ.Jul 21, 2007
This has gone into my top five movies along with requiem for a dream, dead man's shoes, eternal sunshine and sideways. It is a unique vision of the future that actually feels like it could happen. The acts of terrorism and social This has gone into my top five movies along with requiem for a dream, dead man's shoes, eternal sunshine and sideways. It is a unique vision of the future that actually feels like it could happen. The acts of terrorism and social disorder are quite prevalent in todays society now so if a situation where infertility arose then the dystopian society depicted in this movie is well realized. One of the criticisms of this movie i have come across is that the cause of the infertility is never explained, why is this a problem? We live in a world where there are no easy answers. It also leads us to the ambiguity of this society who are thinking that they are let down by science or religion. One of the most interesting points of this film is the importance of children to our future and is beautifully illustrated in the exquisite scene when Clive Owen walks through the battle zone with a new-born and everything goes quiet until a shell goes off and the fighting continues. This enforces the fragility of our existence and the improbability of the human race getting this far. Is it evolution last attempt to carry on the human race encapsulated in this child or is it divine intervention?. When i was watching this film i was hoping it wouldn't end in a typically Hollywood ending where there is closure. Luckily the film ends in a downbeat but also in a fashion an optimistic way. There is a light at the end of the tunnel albeit a pinprick of light. This film blew me away. The action was tense and well thought out and believable. The cinematography was bleak but beautiful. Clive Owen is tremendous in a subtle and nuanced role which made you feel for him and believe in the arc his character goes through. Expand
NickA.Jun 29, 2007
The year 2006 in film ended as it started some eight months prior: with a forceful work of unflinching potency. First 'United 93,' now 'Children of Men;' never before have I been witness to two movies of such great power The year 2006 in film ended as it started some eight months prior: with a forceful work of unflinching potency. First 'United 93,' now 'Children of Men;' never before have I been witness to two movies of such great power in the same year of release as I had in 2006. As '93' worked on the level of a power-driven docu-drama, thrust forth by the emotion of such tragic events our nation has ever seen, 'Children of Men' reminds us, with heightened intensity, where our problems in this day in age could put us twenty years down the road. Tackling the whole spectrum of world events with vigor and unrelenting passion, 'Children' makes for both intellectually challenging and irresistibly entertaining movie-viewing. In Cuaron Expand
DaveAJun 12, 2007
So refreshing to see a decent thought-provoking movie once in a while! For all the apparent home reviewers that had issues with the storyline stop watching so many shallow Hollywood blockbusters and start looking at what is really going on,So refreshing to see a decent thought-provoking movie once in a while! For all the apparent home reviewers that had issues with the storyline stop watching so many shallow Hollywood blockbusters and start looking at what is really going on, because this movie gives us a look at what could very well be our planet 20yrs from now (maybe without the infertility bit- and for fu.k sake stop being so politically inclined.. most politicians don't give a shit about the working class, they only care about getting more power and more money!) this movie draws you in, whilst being predictable at times it is never boring, characters are believable, as is the storyline, and the battle scene's are equal to any action movie... one of the best movie's of this decade. Expand
DeoB.Jun 11, 2007
I have not seen (yet) any of the other Oscar-nominated films from last year, but I cannot imagine a better film. Given the subject and the horrors that unfold on film, it does seem strange to call this movie lovely, but it is. A seminal I have not seen (yet) any of the other Oscar-nominated films from last year, but I cannot imagine a better film. Given the subject and the horrors that unfold on film, it does seem strange to call this movie lovely, but it is. A seminal moment in filmmaking history. Expand
JoeyM.Jun 4, 2007
One of the finest movies I've seen in the last decade. Bravura filmmaking techniques (for example, the single four minute shot as they first attempt to drive Kee out of the country), excellent acting, and (yes) actual meaningful themes One of the finest movies I've seen in the last decade. Bravura filmmaking techniques (for example, the single four minute shot as they first attempt to drive Kee out of the country), excellent acting, and (yes) actual meaningful themes reward repeated viewings. I can't recall the last time I felt so anxious for the main characters while watching a movie. My heart was racing the entire time! These days, movies that have any meaning deeper than "hero beat up bad guy yay" seem to be falling out of favor with the world. A shame. If you want an action blockbuster, look somewhere else. If you want a tense road trip that explores where our world might be going and delivers a great story, this might be one for you. Expand
RobertH.May 30, 2007
One of the most thoughtful and heartfelt thrillers I have ever seen. Alfonso Cuaron has crafted a masterpiece that will not be forgotten. It is arguably one of the most overlooked films of the past ten years.
LindaL.May 22, 2007
Depressing and thought-provoking, this film prompts the frustrating, unanswered questions many have mentioned, yet I was carried along .It's a dark vision of a horrible future that (a nagging voice in your head tells you) might not be Depressing and thought-provoking, this film prompts the frustrating, unanswered questions many have mentioned, yet I was carried along .It's a dark vision of a horrible future that (a nagging voice in your head tells you) might not be completely impossible. Got a little bored during the final hide-and-chase sequence, but never with Clive Owen's world-weary face. If you like him in this, rent "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead." Expand
CarlyMay 19, 2007
I watched it over and over. I couldn't get enough.
JohnB.May 12, 2007
Though Children of Men presents an apocalyptic science fiction, the human side of this story is deeply woven in all aspects of a not so far out possible future. The first half of this movie plays out like an observation of what humanity Though Children of Men presents an apocalyptic science fiction, the human side of this story is deeply woven in all aspects of a not so far out possible future. The first half of this movie plays out like an observation of what humanity would do in such a situation. The only problem here is that once the real substance of the film comes in, it barely holds on long enough to bring you to an ultimately disappointing end. Everything seemed so well thought out until logic managed to escape everyone. Thankfully, enough of this movie provides insight and provokes thought from the audience. It will leave you rattled as well as slightly frustrated. Expand
MattG.May 10, 2007
The affinity between the moment of dystopian and the moment utopian thought has long been recognized (they are in many ways the flip side of the same coin). Yet never have we had such a bleak and striking dystopian depiction of what exactly The affinity between the moment of dystopian and the moment utopian thought has long been recognized (they are in many ways the flip side of the same coin). Yet never have we had such a bleak and striking dystopian depiction of what exactly a world in which utopian politics as such are rendered more or less impossible by the sudden lack of any posterity for the world to prepare for at all. One of the best movies of the last ten years. (If we are, in the end, to judge works of art politically.) Beyond politics, the execution of the premise was adept and subtle and exhilarating. Expand
TristanB.May 8, 2007
One of the greatest visual master pieces that I have seen in a long time. Alfonso has proved himself an excellent director, primely with his choice of long single take action sequences, which gives the film an even more believable appeal. It One of the greatest visual master pieces that I have seen in a long time. Alfonso has proved himself an excellent director, primely with his choice of long single take action sequences, which gives the film an even more believable appeal. It is one of the best sci-fi movies that have ever been brought to life on screen. Expand
ChristopherW.May 8, 2007
In my opinion, this is the best film of 2006. Simply put, this is flawless filmmaking and a brilliantly conceived premise and execution. The whole cast and crew deserve high praise. The much esteemed tracking shots are not overrated in the In my opinion, this is the best film of 2006. Simply put, this is flawless filmmaking and a brilliantly conceived premise and execution. The whole cast and crew deserve high praise. The much esteemed tracking shots are not overrated in the least. There are many scenes in this masterpiece that made my jaw drop in their cinematic splendor. Pay close attention to the assault by hooligans on a traveling vehicle carrying pivotal characters. How did they do that? Wow! Great film and a definite must-see. Expand
C.B.May 7, 2007
Visually amazing
FrankA.May 7, 2007
If you keep the politics out as requested one would not accuse the movie of being liberal fear mongering. It may be exactly what you say it is, but your demons are your own. I saw a great movie with actors I like and enjoyed the storyline If you keep the politics out as requested one would not accuse the movie of being liberal fear mongering. It may be exactly what you say it is, but your demons are your own. I saw a great movie with actors I like and enjoyed the storyline and action. After I saw the movie I read why people dislike it, mostly, they hate it for political reasons. Nice. Expand
LoganS.May 5, 2007
Personally I find this movie to be a full 10 out of 10 due to the intellectual stimulation it offers if nothing else. It dares to challenge the mind. I cannot speak for the book itself but as any sort of adaptation it shines as brilliantly Personally I find this movie to be a full 10 out of 10 due to the intellectual stimulation it offers if nothing else. It dares to challenge the mind. I cannot speak for the book itself but as any sort of adaptation it shines as brilliantly as Lord of the Rings or Bladerunner. On the other hand the cinematic presentation of the material was absolutely stunning with massive uncut scenes that made it a definitively realistic viewing. Despite this many audience members may not enjoy the movie fully due to the simple fact that many people do not enjoy viewing movies to be intellectually stimulated on any high level. Suffice to say you will not enjoy this movie if you cannot question it. I would say it's a must have for any serious movie collection, regardless. Expand
MattB.Apr 30, 2007
Wow! Reading all these reviews, I guess you either love it or hate it. I love this film for the same reason a lot of people hate it- because not everything is explained. I think a lot of people posting low scores have been conditioned to Wow! Reading all these reviews, I guess you either love it or hate it. I love this film for the same reason a lot of people hate it- because not everything is explained. I think a lot of people posting low scores have been conditioned to expect Hollywood formula where you get a nice cosy package and don't have to think too hard. This was like a snapshot of the future focussing on one man; why do we nee to know his past or the intricacies of governemnt ideology? This painted a believable vision of consumer society gone mad; the acting was tremendous- a career high for Michael Caine. Expand
PatApr 28, 2007
Amazing...my favorite of 2006 by far. Much is communicated visually which is where I think some people get lost- if anything watch it for the visual spectacle and insanely long shots.
KalenK.Apr 23, 2007
I am honestly shocked to see that so many people gave this brilliant film such low scores. There's always one or two people that just do not GET a movie and give it low scores, but this is astounding. There is no possible way this movie I am honestly shocked to see that so many people gave this brilliant film such low scores. There's always one or two people that just do not GET a movie and give it low scores, but this is astounding. There is no possible way this movie deserves a 2 or less. Ridiculous. If you have not seen it, this is one time you should listen to the pro reviews above and ignore the commenting idiots down here. (sure, me too, that's fine). Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
ChrisG.Apr 22, 2007
I'm not a big movie "expert" as most of you other voters seem to be. Can someone help me out and explain "character development". And for everyone who voted 0 and 1, does every last detail need to be explained? Very Anti-Climatic? Will I'm not a big movie "expert" as most of you other voters seem to be. Can someone help me out and explain "character development". And for everyone who voted 0 and 1, does every last detail need to be explained? Very Anti-Climatic? Will one of you "experts" tell me how a movie should end? Expand
ChrisB.Apr 19, 2007
A 10 for those who gave it a 0 and who don't obviously know anything about film!Gripping, heart-pounding entertainment.
CiaranApr 9, 2007
This was a beautifully made film, it wasn't pretentious, it was raw, gritty and real.
GinoM.Apr 7, 2007
This film is a gripping fantasy that harbors more than meets the eye. I can't wait to watch it again to see what new emotions and feelings are conjured up within me. The fabulous cinemetography is a given, and not the source of debate. This film is a gripping fantasy that harbors more than meets the eye. I can't wait to watch it again to see what new emotions and feelings are conjured up within me. The fabulous cinemetography is a given, and not the source of debate. Morever, it's truly complex nature of issues that underpin the futuristic plot of this movie that really get people polorized...I'm on the positive side of that spectrum. An eyeopening vignette into the plausible effects of a global earth. Expand
EnriqueS.Apr 7, 2007
Mesmerizing dystopian nightmare is a masterpiece of the new millennium. Prodigious filmmaking at its finest. Cuaron is a force to be reckoned with. Clive Owen and Claire-Hope Ashitey are enthralling and ultimately engaging.
JimH.Apr 7, 2007
Gritty cinematography and a bit too glossy in the narrative. Lots of great sequences and bits but the film does not add up to a truly great whole. It blurs or glosses over the answers to many questions.
SteveK.Apr 4, 2007
If I could, I'd give it a 6.5. It's gripping and haunting while I was watching it, but ultimately, it didn't pass the one-day test for me. In one day, I wasn't thinking about this movie at all. The theme of hope is If I could, I'd give it a 6.5. It's gripping and haunting while I was watching it, but ultimately, it didn't pass the one-day test for me. In one day, I wasn't thinking about this movie at all. The theme of hope is compelling, but there is little development, not enough meat on the themes of the plot, just lots of repetive chase scenes and chaotic violence. One day, someone will come along and remake this movie, and when they do, there are a lot of elements here for a classic movie that will resonate for ages. But in its present form, it is an entertaining diversion, but little more. Expand
BrianT.Apr 3, 2007
A movie this stylish, well written and entertaining does not come around that often. The true feat of this movie is making the audience belive that this futuristic dystopia is plausible.