7.3

1. Mar 2, 2012
    When I first saw the trailer for this film it looked very exciting, an on-edge gritty film which I looked forward to watching. However, the documentary style doesn't work with this sci-fi film as you seem to miss the action being constricted to a shoddy camera angle in which it is hard to make out what is going on. There is also a disappointing ending which feels like the whole build upWhen I first saw the trailer for this film it looked very exciting, an on-edge gritty film which I looked forward to watching. However, the documentary style doesn't work with this sci-fi film as you seem to miss the action being constricted to a shoddy camera angle in which it is hard to make out what is going on. There is also a disappointing ending which feels like the whole build up of tension was for nothing. Expand
  2. Feb 15, 2012
    I don't usually go to bad movies, but when I do, I remember why it's a waste of money. The 'hand-held' gimmick contributes nothing to this film, and it seems to have distracted the director from providing the kind of pacing expected in a movie with so much action. There were a number of times in this film when something was supposed to be a surprise, or exciting, and everyone in theaterI don't usually go to bad movies, but when I do, I remember why it's a waste of money. The 'hand-held' gimmick contributes nothing to this film, and it seems to have distracted the director from providing the kind of pacing expected in a movie with so much action. There were a number of times in this film when something was supposed to be a surprise, or exciting, and everyone in theater just laughed awkwardly. A disappointing treatment of a good idea. Expand
  3. Feb 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With a cringe on my face and bag of lollies in hand, I prepared myself for another handy-cam filmed cliche teenage superhero film. Sigh. I was willing to give Chronicle a chance to be better than just another Paranormal Activity film, but it failed. The film starts out having you feel sorry for senior student Andrew (Dane DeHaan) as he sets his camera up to catch his abusive father in action. The story then begins to unfold as Andrew, his cousin Matt (Alex Russell) and their newly made friend, Steve (Micheal B Jordan), wander into the woods and down a hole in the ground. I know that in this bit I had hope for it as they show an organism within a glowing blue stone that reminded me of the 'black oil' from the X-Files, but they didn't further on this at all through the film. Obviously the boys gain supernatural telekinesis powers form this glowing stone. Things unwind and are quite boring as the boys powers strengthen, they learn to fly and become popular with the ladies. At this point I was so stressed about how un-entertaining the film was, but then it got a tiny bit better. Andrew, being the strongest of the group, takes his powers to the next level. Being edged on by the abuse form his father and slowly dying mother, he believes he is at the top of the food chain with his new found power. Although, just when you think they weren't going to add in the cliche of having 'super hero suits', it happens. I don't want to ruin the ending for you, but it does getting a little exciting but still a little overdone as the film winds down with a very anti climactic ending. It had the chance to change my view on hand-cam style films and bring something new to the table, but I think it was overdone even when Cloverfield was released.

Chronicle is mainly aimed for teeny boppers who are easily amazed, or people like me who were bored and decided to go to the cinema willing to give a super hero film a go. All I can say is, Chronicle sure did do a good job of having me on the edge of my seat feeling stressed and slightly pre-occupied with everything but the screen.
  4. Feb 17, 2012
    I can't believe I sat through this movie. About half way through I wanted everyone to die so it would end. Everything about this movie was thin. The characters were barely two dimensional and the plot was driven by cliches. The dialogue could have been written by 13 year old. Amateur night at the cliche house.
  5. Feb 25, 2012
    Starts out fun if you can handle the cheap jumping camera tricks. By the middle of the movie it starts to go down hill as in Revenge of the Nerds. The ending is totally predicatable. Could have been better. Made on cheap without any big budget so you can call it success for what it did at the Box Office. For any movie to be good you need to think about it after you leave the theater.Starts out fun if you can handle the cheap jumping camera tricks. By the middle of the movie it starts to go down hill as in Revenge of the Nerds. The ending is totally predicatable. Could have been better. Made on cheap without any big budget so you can call it success for what it did at the Box Office. For any movie to be good you need to think about it after you leave the theater. Forgotten as soon as you walk out the door. Just a good way to spend a rainy afternoon. No one is going back to see it twice. Expand
  6. Apr 28, 2012
    If this is the state of high rated movies today we got a problem. Interesting concept, but so amateurishly handled. The hand held camera concept is getting really boring and so detracts from any tension build up. Characters are a joke. Fake high school kids played by adults - again. So it builds to a mildly thrilling climax, but again diluted by lack of tension. Long boring stretches ofIf this is the state of high rated movies today we got a problem. Interesting concept, but so amateurishly handled. The hand held camera concept is getting really boring and so detracts from any tension build up. Characters are a joke. Fake high school kids played by adults - again. So it builds to a mildly thrilling climax, but again diluted by lack of tension. Long boring stretches of who cares. If they had dropped the hand held idea, had better actors, more engaging script, could have been cool. But all in all a waste of money. Expand
  7. Mar 3, 2012
    Frustrating. The found footage element is never justified and there's zero plot. Time and time again, there are story points that don't make sense and are never addressed. Found myself looking at my watch after 20 minutes. Would not recommend to anyone who's looking for anything other than a minor distraction. Really can't wrap my head around all the positive reviews on this one.
  8. Jun 3, 2012
    Another one of those documentary style films where the filmed is a labor to watch. The film had so much potential and we were restricted to dull and constrained angles.
    Oh and it's boring as hell.
  9. Feb 20, 2012
    To put it bluntly, Chronicle was the worst movie I have ever seen in cinema. I'm actually surprised to see the amount of positive reviews on metacritic. The character development was fairly well done, but the overall storyline was extremely poor. I don't want to reveal any spoilers, but it's really predictable anyway. You have the nerd, the jock and the star who all get telekinetic powersTo put it bluntly, Chronicle was the worst movie I have ever seen in cinema. I'm actually surprised to see the amount of positive reviews on metacritic. The character development was fairly well done, but the overall storyline was extremely poor. I don't want to reveal any spoilers, but it's really predictable anyway. You have the nerd, the jock and the star who all get telekinetic powers but never really use them for anything worthwhile. The flying was done quite well, although it felt like watching a tv series with slightly better sfx.

Like I said, this movie is the worst I have ever seen, in my opinion of course. It's been a while since I've walked out of the cinema disgruntled.
  10. Mar 4, 2012
    Chronicle starts out with a high amount of promise, combining the visual style of Cloverfield and the plot of a buddy version of Carrie. As the story and characters develop, several different ideas and themes are thrown into the mix, but never really developed in any significant way. In the end all you are left with is a mish-mash of a film that never truly knew where it wanted to go orChronicle starts out with a high amount of promise, combining the visual style of Cloverfield and the plot of a buddy version of Carrie. As the story and characters develop, several different ideas and themes are thrown into the mix, but never really developed in any significant way. In the end all you are left with is a mish-mash of a film that never truly knew where it wanted to go or what it wanted to say. Despite being under 90 minutes, it seemed to last twice as long. Its a shame, because I felt the core idea of the film had a lot of potential, but completely lost in the second half. Expand
  11. Mar 17, 2012
    Don't waste your money going to this movie. The trailer had preety much 60% of the best parts shown. Overly dramatic, not enough humor at all. I would consider this movie to be more of a drama then a scifi, as a drama it is preety good, but not what I expected from the trailer. Camera work sucked too btw. If you see either project X or chronicle go see Project X.
  12. Apr 28, 2012
    I can understand the "found footage" idea, but even though there's seemingly a camera recording every second of modern life, why the film felt like it needed to have the contrived character of the intellectual, video blog-poster in the story doesn't cut it. Yes, you can argue that she helped further develop one of the main characters that represented balance, but doing so while trying toI can understand the "found footage" idea, but even though there's seemingly a camera recording every second of modern life, why the film felt like it needed to have the contrived character of the intellectual, video blog-poster in the story doesn't cut it. Yes, you can argue that she helped further develop one of the main characters that represented balance, but doing so while trying to stay within the rules of "found footage" and having her filming every moment including when she's answering the door at home to when she's being lifted in her VW Bug on top of the Space Needle is a terrible choice and appears absolutely forced. Expand
  13. Jun 27, 2013
    So... This movie was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Might I add that I am around their age group and can definitely tell you that nobody my age acts remotely like the way they acted in the movie. The dialogue and acting was SOOOO terrible, and the whole carrying the camera around added nothing to the movie. His friends wouldn't just go back to being friends with the mainSo... This movie was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Might I add that I am around their age group and can definitely tell you that nobody my age acts remotely like the way they acted in the movie. The dialogue and acting was SOOOO terrible, and the whole carrying the camera around added nothing to the movie. His friends wouldn't just go back to being friends with the main character after he NEARLY KILLS SOMEONE.

This is honestly the dumbest movie I have seen. It's not original (telepathic powers and then someone goes rogue? not original at all) and everything about it except for the special effects was terrible.
  14. Mar 16, 2012
    A good story, good actors but completely destroyed by the attempt to skimp on the effects by trying to be arty with the view from a camera. How can you show a fight from the point for view of a camera being held by one of the characters?...by switching to traffic cameras and helicopters o so thats an excuse for blurry picture, No.
  15. Jul 10, 2012
    Really bad movie!!!! And the fact that they were recording each other all the time was both boring and exasperating!!! great trailer but a terrible movie!!!!!
  16. Mar 3, 2013
    This is just a terrible movie, i was massively disappointed when i went to watch this film at the cinema.
    the acting is bad the plot is just boring as hell do not recommend watching this film
  17. Jun 7, 2013
    this is by far the worst movie of 2012, oh wait i apologize, i wouldn't actually call it a movie,
    it's look like something you see on YouTube nowadays NOT on the big screen,
    because there is nothing about this that actually make it a movie, no story at all, a sudden changes of events and terrible ending,everything about this movie is awful, even the visuals are horrific which is what
    it's look like something you see on YouTube nowadays NOT on the big screen,
    even the visuals are horrific which is what the movie all about, the last scene on the Mountains that it's covered with ice was obviously a green screen effect which i can do with a video camera and an editing software, this "movie" was done so IMMATURELY that it pissed me off.
  18. Mar 21, 2014
    It is just a group of teenage boys having nose periods all the bloody time. Not even funny or enjoyable.. I don't even need to go into detail, characters are bad, plot is bad, though i do like action movies, this is just horrible. I still can't believe that i sat through this whole movie.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    Feb 10, 2012
    Unlike other mock documentaries, which unconvincingly pass themselves off as real, Chronicle cleverly embraces the format as shorthand for a new kind of naturalism, inviting audiences to suspend disbelief and join in the fantasy of being able to do anything with their minds.
  2. Reviewed by: Aaron Hillis
    Feb 10, 2012
    Chronicle, with its found-footage storytelling and superpowered teens, at least playfully transcends its "Cloverfield meets Heroes" pitch.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark Jenkins
    Feb 10, 2012
    A few more bucks (or a little more thought) for the script would have been a better investment than faking Seattle. The characters are introduced so quickly, and their personalities are so thin, that what happens to them has little weight.