7.3

1. Feb 21, 2012
    From movies like Jumper, Push, Next, Clockstoppers, and some other movies about people getting superpowers and using it for their own good, Josh Trank and Max Landis have pulled of the impossible. So what is it about this movie that i liked so damn much, well for one thing i loved the pacing and the timing in this movie, for a running time of 83 minutes, the movie doesn't waste your time and gets to the point very quickly and perfectly. Another thing is how realistic this movie is, with the camera work, it definitely worked out for this movie, and the characters were aware of it, which was a major plus in my book. I could say so much more, but what i will say is my regards to the director and writer for delivering one of the best movies of the year, and were only getting started. Expand
  2. Apr 29, 2012
    I usually don't like shaky cam movies and when I first saw the trailers for Chronicle, I wasn't exactly too keen on watching it. I finally sat down to watch it the other day and was amazed that I almost missed one of the greatest superhero movies ever made. All I can say is that if you're a comic book fan, go and watch this movie. Max Landis and Josh Trank really know their comics.
  3. Mar 5, 2012
    Finally! A superhero movie I don't laugh at. Chronicle shows, not akward or unfortunate nobodies who by some accident develop superpowers and decide "I wanna dress funny and save complete strangers". True, the three main characters do develop superpowers by literally stumbling into them, but they dont start playing superhero/supervillain until they absolutely have to; in fact, never once in the movie was the word "superhero" even used. When I first saw the trailer, I thought to myself "Well, that's the movie, right there. No need to go see it. Boy, was I wrong. I won't reveal much about the plot or characters, but suffice it to say the trailer actually barely reveals anything at all. The acting has its ups and downs, and admittedly the movie could be a little better paced, but for the most part everything balances out. It's worth a look, for sure. Expand
  4. Mar 29, 2012
    Not a big fan of the shaky camera like Paranormal Activity. I loved this movie because it has a very good story line, and his keeps you on the edge of your seat.
  5. Feb 12, 2012
    Definetly worth watching! Wasn't crazy about the ending so much but loved the plot and unique script. Was interested through out the entire movie and audience deemed to be as well.
  6. Feb 12, 2012
    I don't write many reviews (for how many movies I see), however I have to say I was surprisingly impressed with this movie. The acting and special effects were above average, and the story had many interesting themes. You have to dig a little bit deeper in order to get the most out of this movie; but if you're familiar with any philosophy (particularly Schopenhauer), you'll probably find a lot to like here.

8.5/10 (rounding up because some critics were overly harsh)
  7. Jun 1, 2012
    This movie for once actually had an interesting story, easily followed up by a sequel, really interesting how they did the camera work, how it was done in the story as well as the technical aspect, and when the water moved away from his feet, WHOA that took some serious work to pull off.
  8. Nov 28, 2012
    Overall, this movie was original (although definitely very inspired by any number of different comic books), very creatively done, well-acted all around, and just plain fun.
    _____
    I'm a picky movie-watcher. In fact, I rarely watch movies at all, because of the simple fact that it's so hard to find the really good ones mixed in with all the multi-million dollar garbage-worthy flicks, but
    Chronicle was definitely one of those rare gems. I had no particular expectations going into this movie, hadn't even ever heard of it, I was just doing a random search for a sci-fi movie and Chronicle seemed like it could be decent, but it turned out to be much more than decent. I've never seen a super-power inspired film seem so realistic. The emergence of the "super-villians" teenager-angst dark-side was done at just the right pace, starting off showing subtle tidbits here and there of his darker psyche and gradually leading up to the point where his psychological issues just explode out from him. I also really appreciated the use of the hand-held camera style in this film, usually I'm not a fan of that, but I think it just add to the realistic feel in this film, which is exactly what the director was going for. Expand
  9. Feb 20, 2012
    Chronicle was a fantastic movie and definitely deserves more than a 69%. Its camera angle was experimental and new (similar to Cloverfield) and I enjoyed it, although some people won't. During the first half of the movie I didn't really enjoy the camera angle, but by the second half I did. The acting was fantastic and the characters were interesting. However, the main character Andrew did many things that I didn't feel he would do according to his personality. The ending was bittersweet and the movie had many twists and turns so it wasn't predictable. Overall I loved the movie and was really engrossed in the story. Expand
  10. Mar 16, 2012
    Chronicle's portrayal of superheroes is dark, gritty and true to life. The found-footage theme does add an amount of realism, and adds a certain emotional impact to the characters that other found footage movies haven't done before. The films morality theme plays out nicely with clever writing and characters you can relate to, however, the pacing can be slow and only seems to pick up around a third of the film. Another issue is the CGI that does seem outdated but isn't bad enough to pull you out of the experience. Overall, Chronicle is a movie you can't miss, with a great story and amazing new actors, Chronicle is a true modern great. Expand
  11. May 10, 2012
    A fantastic film that starts with a fun and overall teenage theme before developing bit by bit into a suspenseful superhero epic that lasts in your memory. The combination of normal life with superhuman abilities was excellently pulled off, and the cast of young and mostly unheard of actors showcased their talents extremely well.
  12. Jan 28, 2013
    Wow.... just wow. I had no idea what this movie was about going in. I thought it would be really cheesy but good worth at least a 4. Definitely a solid 9 and will leave you thinking about it way after the credits roll. Great and worth a watch!
  13. Feb 27, 2013
    Not being a fan of the "found-footage" genre, I was hesitant to see this film. I'm glad I finally decided to watch it, though, because Chronicle, as it turns out, is so much more than just another shaky-cam flick with cheap thrills. At it's core, Chronicle is a look into the isolation and loneliness felt by an awkward social outcast, and what happens when that outcast finally gains the power to turn the tables on his aggressors. That power comes in the form of some very Akira-esque telekinetic abilities, which makes for some extremely kick-ass action later in the movie; action which looks even more impressive given the film's found-footage nature. So what you end up with is something along the lines of Carrie meets Akira meets Cloverfield... a combination which may not sound very original, but, I promise, you've never seen it done this well. Expand
  14. Jun 5, 2012
    This movie was awesome. The concept, at face value, might seem corny, or cliche. But this movie pulls it all off. It's spectacular, magical, and the characters make it so easy to suspend your beliefs and enthrall you in an exciting, scary, and deep world.
  15. Aug 1, 2012
    A funny, and enjoyable movie. I like the creativity that has gone into this film.
  16. Mar 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you know Akira... you have a good idea about the story of the movie. It has a very weak start but it becomes better after about 20 minutes. What would you do if you suddenly had superpowers? this movie shows not what Peter Parker would have done but hat me and you would have done. The good: a compelling story, the actors performances, nice special effects.
    The bad: some plot holes, some bad cinematography due to the home home video archive style of the movie.
  17. May 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. definitively a guy movie. I enjoyed this thoroughly while my girlfriend gave it a "meh" at best. Starts out all fun and games but gets intense fast as one of the character's home life issues destabilizes him. its sad that we never find out what the thing was that gave them their powers but definitively leaves room for a sequel. Expand
  18. Apr 16, 2012
    when i think about it, i can't think of a way to make the movie better than it already is. the camera gimmick becomes sort of annoying at the end of the film, but that's that. everything else is at it's best, even though it wasn't the kin of perfection that deserves a 10. the characters are well-rounded, the effects look good and there is a very clear message in the movie: if one were to obtain telekinetic power, his life would spin around. Expand
  19. Feb 27, 2012
    Really epic and has an excellent story with one of the best performances and epic action scenes. Could've been better without the shaky camera footage, but really good anyway.
  20. Jan 31, 2013
    *SIGH* Another 'found footage' film.
    Not even close.
    Chronicle tells a very different story to all its other counterparts, much like Troll Hunter, it creates a very extraordinary but very realistic experience that could not only blow your mind, but have you appreciate how simple an idea can be, with no need for big-budget special effects, but in its place a very grounded story with an
    excellent cast and wonderfully budgeted set-pieces.
    It also isn't told entirely from that 'one' viewpoint, a mixture of techniques have been used to capitalise on the realism and flow of the film and begs the simple question of what would happen if we had superpowers?
  21. Feb 11, 2012
    Very fun movie. Does some interesting things with the "found footage" genre. So far the best of its class in incorporating multiple camera angles. Also, a great example of the "rise and fall" story trope. Great movie, go see it.
  22. May 29, 2012
    "From movies like Jumper, Push, Next, Clockstoppers, and some other movies about people getting superpowers and using it for their own good, Josh Trank and Max Landis have pulled of the impossible. So what is it about this movie that i liked so damn much, well for one thing i loved the pacing and the timing in this movie, for a running time of 83 minutes, the movie doesn't waste your time and gets to the point very quickly and perfectly. Another thing is how realistic this movie is, with the camera work, it definitely worked out for this movie, and the characters were aware of it, which was a major plus in my book. I could say so much more, but what i will say is my regards to the director and writer for delivering one of the best movies of the year, and were only getting started"

/agree. This movie is better than Jump, it has subtleties to, and it's honestly very underrated. It reminds me of greek stories and their demigods. It's obvious they were influential. I found the characters convincing, especially Michael Jordan.
  23. Mar 12, 2012
    This movie breathes life into the found footage genre. The three teens who get super powers brings a dark twist to superhero genre. (Although it technically shouldn't be called superhero film.) This film has me guessing the whole way. I thought this film was entirely original and I am excited that they are making a sequel. If you haven't seen this yet, I extremely recommend it.
  24. Feb 17, 2012
    This is nothing short of every boyâ
  25. Feb 26, 2012
    Can someone say Columbine! The director/writers understand how to capture real life teen psychology. You witness the transformation of an abused teen who takes it out on the world. Don't abuse your power!
  26. Feb 18, 2012
    Chronicle is such an awesome movie, here's why. Chronicle is a found footage sci-fi film about three teenagers who get super powers, but one of the boys, Andrew (Dane DeHann) starts to abuse his powers and use them for bad. I enjoyed the living crap out of this film! It had great acting (that was believable), perfect dialogue & even pacing. My only problem is that the CGI doesn't look real, but it's found footage, so i'm no gonna **** about it. Go do yourself a favour and watch this movie. Worth your money. Expand
  27. Feb 15, 2012
    The plot, humour and character development were great. I am a sucker for sci-fi etc but even my hater friends enjoyed. The ending was the only let down, quite hollow in my opinion.
  28. Feb 19, 2012
    Super cool, fun movie. I found the writing and acting to be particularly impressive considering the genre. Most notably, one character's relationship with an abusive parent is portrayed with tenderness and realism. The comedic moments are legitimately funny and the action sequences are quite thrilling. Strong recommend!
  29. Feb 24, 2012
    A rare movie. It explored the developments of the characters from before they possessed their powers to the very end. It creates a great deal of conflict in the viewer in terms of who they should feel sympathy for and which characters they should hate. Thoroughly enjoyed the way the film was written, how it was put together, the characters, and the overall storyline. It didn't really follow any particular formula but everything in it flowed Expand
  30. Mar 2, 2012
    A really interesting film, I love chronicle, is like a sci-fi glee, but without the songs and all this things, Chronicle is really sorpresive, interesting, and awesome, like a next Jumper and I am number four.
  31. Jul 23, 2012
    Normal I hate the found footage camera angle but Chronicle uses it very well. The 3 guys touch an alien thing in the ground and get telekinesis which they later figure out how to use to fly, and they go round doing all they awesome stuff everyone has fantasized about doing if they had powers. Its good how the powers affect the characters in different ways but saying any more would spoil the story. Some of the effects are really bad but this movie is not meant to be taken seriously enough for it to matter, its just fun. Expand
  32. Feb 26, 2012
    Una película realmente interesante, que cumple su objetivo, muy recomendada, para los amantes de los efectos especiales. un inicio algo fuera de lo común con un final inesperado que los dejara con ganas de mas.
  33. Mar 6, 2012
    This movie was a very enjoyable experience for me. What really made it great was the fact that they can really show the intensity of having super powers, which brings out a huge range of emotions. The actors were really phenomenal and the action and humor was great as well. The actors kept the movie going for sure it was a good $15 to spend for sure.
  34. Mar 18, 2012
    So far one of my favorite movies of 2012. The story helps gain a connection with the characters and the action gives you a solid blockbuster experience. No negative comments but it takes a while for the tension to build up, as with every movie
  35. Mar 21, 2012
    This is one of the best movies I've seen this year. It is an original and exciting take on what would happen if some kids came across super powers. I hope there is a sequel because I would definitely see it. Check it out.
  36. Apr 26, 2012
    This movie was incredible! I honestly didn't think I'd like it, but it was completely enthralling and unexpected from beginning to end! I would definitely see it again.
  37. May 21, 2012
    This is the score I wanted to give it.. I don't know why it didn't come up when I first wrote my review! And to show how good this movie is.. I bought it 2 days after watching it.
  38. May 16, 2012
    Let me just start off by saying 'Chronicle' was unexpectedly better than I had thought. The trailer was compelling enough to make me see it in theaters (twice). But what I had mapped out in my head wasn't all that close to what unfolded. The smart and relatively fast directing from Josh Trank also keeps the audience's attention from start to finish. The 3 main characters were also very likeable, and played their parts very convincingly. Chronicle also found very smooth ways to make this movie different from the several other found footage movies. The many different cameras were supposed to be controlled by amatuers, so of course the footage has to be shaky right? Not at all says writer Max Landis, I'll show you how it's done. Bottom line, Chronicle was smart and very entertaining. Expand
  39. May 24, 2012
    Found footage style has been upgraded in to the a new level. Combined with antihero story, it fills 83 minute span with a fast pace and thrilling story.
  40. May 26, 2012
    Chronicle was an intense movie that you will never forget. The movie had a sore line with twists and turns around every corner, awesome scenes of action, and heroes of an unusual sort. Chronicle was also very thought provoking. From the moment you start watching, you will never want to stop watching until the credits. Can't wait for the sequel.
  41. Jun 9, 2012
    There's some interesting things going on in this movie - ----SPOILERS AHEAD----

There is an apex predator in the movie, but it's not Andrew. It's Matt. He pretends to be Andrew's friend but doesn't help him with any of his family problems. He uses Andrew's concern for justice and fairness and various problems to act as the noble guide. He loves another sham (the would-be helpful Casey)
    and at the end of the movie celebrates his conquest by eternally fixing the camera at a dead place while his two dead "friends" are buried in the ground.

Andrew's view of himself as the apex predator protects both him and Matt from the truth - the movie is about the lengths Andrew goes to to express his love for others as well as Matt - a sociopath without the capacity to receive love.
  42. Jul 13, 2012
    A really unique and compelling superhero flick. Really adds a lot to the found footage genre. Also one of the most realistic superhero movies ever made, as it feels like this would be what would happen if teenagers got super powers. My only problem with the film is that it seems like director Josh Trank has trouble maintaining the found footage filming through some scenes, but ultimately I think that he pulls it off. Expand
  43. Jul 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Chronicle is an amazing, well-acted, emotionally affecting experience. Andrew is a great villain, mostly because you never really hate him; he's a scared kid who has to deal with an abusive father, deathly ill mother, and the unfeeling bullies of his school and neighborhood. When he uses his newfound powers to win the talent show, everyone loves him. The silent dork is now the most popular guy in town, everyone throws him a big celebration, and then it is all yanked away from him. That is like winning 500 grand in a lottery, only to have the money stolen before you can spend a cent. He starts to snap, dismembering an insect, ripping a bully's teeth out, crushing a car, and electrocuting his friend to death in a fit of rage. When he robs the gas station, it is a very conflicting scene, because he needs the money to save his mother, but there is a feeling of "this is wrong, this is so wrong" throughout the scene. The epic fight between Matt and Andrew is very well done, delivering cinematic shots via news feeds, security cameras, and cell phones as they are forced to pummel each other. The death at the end is a genuine tear-jerker, mostly because it looks so real. If this had been a "normal" movie, the death would have been in slow-motion and sweeping camera angles, but all of that is absent as Matt is forced to throw a statue's spear through Andrew's body, which hangs limp as the viewer sits stunned. It is truly an amazing film, and I hope to see a possible sequel. Expand
  44. Sep 9, 2012
    Wow.Wow.Wow.Wow.Wow.Wow. What a piece of...I don't even know what to say, it's simply incredible. I expected it to be a PA-styled superhero movie, but no! It is even way more and even way better than what I expected it to be. Extraordinary!
  45. Jul 18, 2012
    The movies uses the found footage aspect to its advantage, doing things that cant be done in a regular movie. Putting you in the first person point of view.
  46. Apr 26, 2014
    A brilliant will made movie with a lot of heart and soul shoved into the project. The characters are likable and easy to relate 2. The film really does a great job and i very much recommend watching the film

47. Nov 28, 2012
    Inarguably one of the finest "found footage" movies in cinematic history, "Chronicle" solidly impresses without deadening brain activity.
  48. Mar 10, 2014
    by far one of the best "found footage" films although they accomplish this via the camera being held by the characters telekinetic powers. really blurs the lines between protagonist and antagonist as you feel more and more sympathy for Andrew and the epic clash he has with his Cousin.
  49. Aug 14, 2013
    A fresh and exciting take at both the found footage and superhero origin stories. Chronicle is bolstered by strong performances, impressive special effects, and a profound story about life decisions and there sometimes cruel consequences.
  50. Dec 15, 2013
    I was never into superhero movies before I watched Chronicle, but after this I had to watch every one I could get my hands on. It's just a fantastically well crafted movie, even more so because it doesn't act all idealistic about the characters. They're real teenagers who do stupid for fun with their newfound powers, but it also violently shows how corrupted someone can be when given power, especially when they had less than none before. The three characters are superbly fleshed out and are all brilliant actors, the effects are also perfect, meeting the exact space between fake-looking and obvious-CGI. It's a convincing story that makes you give a about the characters, and as a result you feel good when you watch them mess around with their powers. The flying scene is a good example, I was practically grinning watching it as the first-person view lets you experience it as the characters do. The final battle is also brilliant, and the perfect way for it to end. The last twenty seconds or so are a little odd but I can forgive the film for that. The film overall is thought provoking and an excellent study of what happens when irresponsible people are given the power of gods. Expand
  51. Jan 5, 2014
    In a vast landscape of cheesy, over-the-top superhero movies that lack a true heart and soul, Chronicle is a story packed with philosophical and emotional punch with amazing acting and a first-person "camera" perspective that fits the movie perfectly. The characters and their situations are so realistic and so easy to relate to, that it is hard not to sympathize even with the antagonist. My only complaint might be the long time it takes for the real theme of the movie to be easily seen, but since the movie is only 90 minutes anyway, the action in the meantime makes this complain a minor detail that can easily get lost in the otherwise brilliant movie. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    Feb 10, 2012
    Unlike other mock documentaries, which unconvincingly pass themselves off as real, Chronicle cleverly embraces the format as shorthand for a new kind of naturalism, inviting audiences to suspend disbelief and join in the fantasy of being able to do anything with their minds.
  2. Reviewed by: Aaron Hillis
    Feb 10, 2012
    Chronicle, with its found-footage storytelling and superpowered teens, at least playfully transcends its "Cloverfield meets Heroes" pitch.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark Jenkins
    Feb 10, 2012
    A few more bucks (or a little more thought) for the script would have been a better investment than faking Seattle. The characters are introduced so quickly, and their personalities are so thin, that what happens to them has little weight.