7.3

1. Jun 5, 2012
    This movie was awesome. The concept, at face value, might seem corny, or cliche. But this movie pulls it all off. It's spectacular, magical, and the characters make it so easy to suspend your beliefs and enthrall you in an exciting, scary, and deep world.
  2. Aug 1, 2012
    A funny, and enjoyable movie. I like the creativity that has gone into this film.
  3. Apr 29, 2012
    I usually don't like shaky cam movies and when I first saw the trailers for Chronicle, I wasn't exactly too keen on watching it. I finally sat down to watch it the other day and was amazed that I almost missed one of the greatest superhero movies ever made. All I can say is that if you're a comic book fan, go and watch this movie. Max Landis and Josh Trank really know their comics.
  4. Mar 5, 2012
    Finally! A superhero movie I don't laugh at. Chronicle shows, not akward or unfortunate nobodies who by some accident develop superpowers and decide "I wanna dress funny and save complete strangers". True, the three main characters do develop superpowers by literally stumbling into them, but they dont start playing superhero/supervillain until they absolutely have to; in fact, never onceFinally! A superhero movie I don't laugh at. Chronicle shows, not akward or unfortunate nobodies who by some accident develop superpowers and decide "I wanna dress funny and save complete strangers". True, the three main characters do develop superpowers by literally stumbling into them, but they dont start playing superhero/supervillain until they absolutely have to; in fact, never once in the movie was the word "superhero" even used. When I first saw the trailer, I thought to myself "Well, that's the movie, right there. No need to go see it. Boy, was I wrong. I won't reveal much about the plot or characters, but suffice it to say the trailer actually barely reveals anything at all. The acting has its ups and downs, and admittedly the movie could be a little better paced, but for the most part everything balances out. It's worth a look, for sure. Expand
  5. May 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. definitively a guy movie. I enjoyed this thoroughly while my girlfriend gave it a "meh" at best. Starts out all fun and games but gets intense fast as one of the character's home life issues destabilizes him. its sad that we never find out what the thing was that gave them their powers but definitively leaves room for a sequel. Expand
  6. Feb 21, 2012
    From movies like Jumper, Push, Next, Clockstoppers, and some other movies about people getting superpowers and using it for their own good, Josh Trank and Max Landis have pulled of the impossible. So what is it about this movie that i liked so damn much, well for one thing i loved the pacing and the timing in this movie, for a running time of 83 minutes, the movie doesn't waste your timeFrom movies like Jumper, Push, Next, Clockstoppers, and some other movies about people getting superpowers and using it for their own good, Josh Trank and Max Landis have pulled of the impossible. So what is it about this movie that i liked so damn much, well for one thing i loved the pacing and the timing in this movie, for a running time of 83 minutes, the movie doesn't waste your time and gets to the point very quickly and perfectly. Another thing is how realistic this movie is, with the camera work, it definitely worked out for this movie, and the characters were aware of it, which was a major plus in my book. I could say so much more, but what i will say is my regards to the director and writer for delivering one of the best movies of the year, and were only getting started. Expand
  7. Feb 27, 2012
    Really epic and has an excellent story with one of the best performances and epic action scenes. Could've been better without the shaky camera footage, but really good anyway.
  8. Jan 31, 2013
    *SIGH* Another 'found footage' film.
    Not even close.
    *SIGH* Another 'found footage' film.
    Not even close.
    Chronicle tells a very different story to all its other counterparts, much like Troll Hunter, it creates a very extraordinary but very realistic experience that could not only blow your mind, but have you appreciate how simple an idea can be, with no need for big-budget special effects, but in its place a very grounded story with an excellent cast and wonderfully budgeted set-pieces.
    It also isn't told entirely from that 'one' viewpoint, a mixture of techniques have been used to capitalise on the realism and flow of the film and begs the simple question of what would happen if we had superpowers?
  9. May 29, 2012
    "From movies like Jumper, Push, Next, Clockstoppers, and some other movies about people getting superpowers and using it for their own good, Josh Trank and Max Landis have pulled of the impossible. So what is it about this movie that i liked so damn much, well for one thing i loved the pacing and the timing in this movie, for a running time of 83 minutes, the movie doesn't waste your time"From movies like Jumper, Push, Next, Clockstoppers, and some other movies about people getting superpowers and using it for their own good, Josh Trank and Max Landis have pulled of the impossible. So what is it about this movie that i liked so damn much, well for one thing i loved the pacing and the timing in this movie, for a running time of 83 minutes, the movie doesn't waste your time and gets to the point very quickly and perfectly. Another thing is how realistic this movie is, with the camera work, it definitely worked out for this movie, and the characters were aware of it, which was a major plus in my book. I could say so much more, but what i will say is my regards to the director and writer for delivering one of the best movies of the year, and were only getting started"

/agree. This movie is better than Jump, it has subtleties to, and it's honestly very underrated. It reminds me of greek stories and their demigods. It's obvious they were influential. I found the characters convincing, especially Michael Jordan.
  10. Mar 12, 2012
    This movie breathes life into the found footage genre. The three teens who get super powers brings a dark twist to superhero genre. (Although it technically shouldn't be called superhero film.) This film has me guessing the whole way. I thought this film was entirely original and I am excited that they are making a sequel. If you haven't seen this yet, I extremely recommend it.
  11. Feb 26, 2012
    Can someone say Columbine! The director/writers understand how to capture real life teen psychology. You witness the transformation of an abused teen who takes it out on the world. Don't abuse your power!
  12. Feb 12, 2012
    Definetly worth watching! Wasn't crazy about the ending so much but loved the plot and unique script. Was interested through out the entire movie and audience deemed to be as well.
  13. Mar 2, 2012
    A really interesting film, I love chronicle, is like a sci-fi glee, but without the songs and all this things, Chronicle is really sorpresive, interesting, and awesome, like a next Jumper and I am number four.
  14. Feb 26, 2012
    Una película realmente interesante, que cumple su objetivo, muy recomendada, para los amantes de los efectos especiales. un inicio algo fuera de lo común con un final inesperado que los dejara con ganas de mas.
  15. Mar 18, 2012
    So far one of my favorite movies of 2012. The story helps gain a connection with the characters and the action gives you a solid blockbuster experience. No negative comments but it takes a while for the tension to build up, as with every movie
  16. May 16, 2012
    Let me just start off by saying 'Chronicle' was unexpectedly better than I had thought. The trailer was compelling enough to make me see it in theaters (twice). But what I had mapped out in my head wasn't all that close to what unfolded. The smart and relatively fast directing from Josh Trank also keeps the audience's attention from start to finish. The 3 main characters were also veryLet me just start off by saying 'Chronicle' was unexpectedly better than I had thought. The trailer was compelling enough to make me see it in theaters (twice). But what I had mapped out in my head wasn't all that close to what unfolded. The smart and relatively fast directing from Josh Trank also keeps the audience's attention from start to finish. The 3 main characters were also very likeable, and played their parts very convincingly. Chronicle also found very smooth ways to make this movie different from the several other found footage movies. The many different cameras were supposed to be controlled by amatuers, so of course the footage has to be shaky right? Not at all says writer Max Landis, I'll show you how it's done. Bottom line, Chronicle was smart and very entertaining. Expand
  17. May 24, 2012
    Found footage style has been upgraded in to the a new level. Combined with antihero story, it fills 83 minute span with a fast pace and thrilling story.
  18. May 26, 2012
    Chronicle was an intense movie that you will never forget. The movie had a sore line with twists and turns around every corner, awesome scenes of action, and heroes of an unusual sort. Chronicle was also very thought provoking. From the moment you start watching, you will never want to stop watching until the credits. Can't wait for the sequel.
  19. Jun 9, 2012
    There's some interesting things going on in this movie - ----SPOILERS AHEAD----

There's some interesting things going on in this movie - ----SPOILERS AHEAD----

There is an apex predator in the movie, but it's not Andrew. It's Matt. He pretends to be Andrew's friend but doesn't help him with any of his family problems. He uses Andrew's concern for justice and fairness and various problems to act as the noble guide. He loves another sham (the would-be helpful Casey) and at the end of the movie celebrates his conquest by eternally fixing the camera at a dead place while his two dead "friends" are buried in the ground.

Andrew's view of himself as the apex predator protects both him and Matt from the truth - the movie is about the lengths Andrew goes to to express his love for others as well as Matt - a sociopath without the capacity to receive love.
  20. Jul 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Chronicle is an amazing, well-acted, emotionally affecting experience. Andrew is a great villain, mostly because you never really hate him; he's a scared kid who has to deal with an abusive father, deathly ill mother, and the unfeeling bullies of his school and neighborhood. When he uses his newfound powers to win the talent show, everyone loves him. The silent dork is now the most popular guy in town, everyone throws him a big celebration, and then it is all yanked away from him. That is like winning 500 grand in a lottery, only to have the money stolen before you can spend a cent. He starts to snap, dismembering an insect, ripping a bully's teeth out, crushing a car, and electrocuting his friend to death in a fit of rage. When he robs the gas station, it is a very conflicting scene, because he needs the money to save his mother, but there is a feeling of "this is wrong, this is so wrong" throughout the scene. The epic fight between Matt and Andrew is very well done, delivering cinematic shots via news feeds, security cameras, and cell phones as they are forced to pummel each other. The death at the end is a genuine tear-jerker, mostly because it looks so real. If this had been a "normal" movie, the death would have been in slow-motion and sweeping camera angles, but all of that is absent as Matt is forced to throw a statue's spear through Andrew's body, which hangs limp as the viewer sits stunned. It is truly an amazing film, and I hope to see a possible sequel. Expand
  21. Sep 9, 2012
    Wow.Wow.Wow.Wow.Wow.Wow. What a piece of...I don't even know what to say, it's simply incredible. I expected it to be a PA-styled superhero movie, but no! It is even way more and even way better than what I expected it to be. Extraordinary!
  22. Jul 18, 2012
    The movies uses the found footage aspect to its advantage, doing things that cant be done in a regular movie. Putting you in the first person point of view.
  23. Feb 27, 2013
    Not being a fan of the "found-footage" genre, I was hesitant to see this film. I'm glad I finally decided to watch it, though, because Chronicle, as it turns out, is so much more than just another shaky-cam flick with cheap thrills. At it's core, Chronicle is a look into the isolation and loneliness felt by an awkward social outcast, and what happens when that outcast finally gains theNot being a fan of the "found-footage" genre, I was hesitant to see this film. I'm glad I finally decided to watch it, though, because Chronicle, as it turns out, is so much more than just another shaky-cam flick with cheap thrills. At it's core, Chronicle is a look into the isolation and loneliness felt by an awkward social outcast, and what happens when that outcast finally gains the power to turn the tables on his aggressors. That power comes in the form of some very Akira-esque telekinetic abilities, which makes for some extremely kick-ass action later in the movie; action which looks even more impressive given the film's found-footage nature. So what you end up with is something along the lines of Carrie meets Akira meets Cloverfield... a combination which may not sound very original, but, I promise, you've never seen it done this well. Expand
  24. Mar 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you know Akira... you have a good idea about the story of the movie. It has a very weak start but it becomes better after about 20 minutes. What would you do if you suddenly had superpowers? this movie shows not what Peter Parker would have done but hat me and you would have done. The good: a compelling story, the actors performances, nice special effects.
    The bad: some plot holes, some bad cinematography due to the home home video archive style of the movie.
  25. Mar 29, 2012
    Not a big fan of the shaky camera like Paranormal Activity. I loved this movie because it has a very good story line, and his keeps you on the edge of your seat.
  26. Apr 16, 2012
    when i think about it, i can't think of a way to make the movie better than it already is. the camera gimmick becomes sort of annoying at the end of the film, but that's that. everything else is at it's best, even though it wasn't the kin of perfection that deserves a 10. the characters are well-rounded, the effects look good and there is a very clear message in the movie: if one were towhen i think about it, i can't think of a way to make the movie better than it already is. the camera gimmick becomes sort of annoying at the end of the film, but that's that. everything else is at it's best, even though it wasn't the kin of perfection that deserves a 10. the characters are well-rounded, the effects look good and there is a very clear message in the movie: if one were to obtain telekinetic power, his life would spin around. Expand
  27. Feb 12, 2012
    I don't write many reviews (for how many movies I see), however I have to say I was surprisingly impressed with this movie. The acting and special effects were above average, and the story had many interesting themes. You have to dig a little bit deeper in order to get the most out of this movie; but if you're familiar with any philosophy (particularly Schopenhauer), you'll probably find aI don't write many reviews (for how many movies I see), however I have to say I was surprisingly impressed with this movie. The acting and special effects were above average, and the story had many interesting themes. You have to dig a little bit deeper in order to get the most out of this movie; but if you're familiar with any philosophy (particularly Schopenhauer), you'll probably find a lot to like here.

8.5/10 (rounding up because some critics were overly harsh)
  28. Jun 1, 2012
    This movie for once actually had an interesting story, easily followed up by a sequel, really interesting how they did the camera work, how it was done in the story as well as the technical aspect, and when the water moved away from his feet, WHOA that took some serious work to pull off.
  29. Nov 28, 2012
    Overall, this movie was original (although definitely very inspired by any number of different comic books), very creatively done, well-acted all around, and just plain fun.
    _____
    _____
    I'm a picky movie-watcher. In fact, I rarely watch movies at all, because of the simple fact that it's so hard to find the really good ones mixed in with all the multi-million dollar garbage-worthy flicks, but Chronicle was definitely one of those rare gems. I had no particular expectations going into this movie, hadn't even ever heard of it, I was just doing a random search for a sci-fi movie and Chronicle seemed like it could be decent, but it turned out to be much more than decent. I've never seen a super-power inspired film seem so realistic. The emergence of the "super-villians" teenager-angst dark-side was done at just the right pace, starting off showing subtle tidbits here and there of his darker psyche and gradually leading up to the point where his psychological issues just explode out from him. I also really appreciated the use of the hand-held camera style in this film, usually I'm not a fan of that, but I think it just add to the realistic feel in this film, which is exactly what the director was going for.
  30. Feb 11, 2012
    Very fun movie. Does some interesting things with the "found footage" genre. So far the best of its class in incorporating multiple camera angles. Also, a great example of the "rise and fall" story trope. Great movie, go see it.
  31. Feb 17, 2012
    This is nothing short of every boyâ
  32. Feb 18, 2012
    Chronicle is such an awesome movie, here's why. Chronicle is a found footage sci-fi film about three teenagers who get super powers, but one of the boys, Andrew (Dane DeHann) starts to abuse his powers and use them for bad. I enjoyed the living crap out of this film! It had great acting (that was believable), perfect dialogue & even pacing. My only problem is that the CGI doesn't lookChronicle is such an awesome movie, here's why. Chronicle is a found footage sci-fi film about three teenagers who get super powers, but one of the boys, Andrew (Dane DeHann) starts to abuse his powers and use them for bad. I enjoyed the living crap out of this film! It had great acting (that was believable), perfect dialogue & even pacing. My only problem is that the CGI doesn't look real, but it's found footage, so i'm no gonna **** about it. Go do yourself a favour and watch this movie. Worth your money. Expand
  33. Feb 15, 2012
    The plot, humour and character development were great. I am a sucker for sci-fi etc but even my hater friends enjoyed. The ending was the only let down, quite hollow in my opinion.
  34. Feb 19, 2012
    Super cool, fun movie. I found the writing and acting to be particularly impressive considering the genre. Most notably, one character's relationship with an abusive parent is portrayed with tenderness and realism. The comedic moments are legitimately funny and the action sequences are quite thrilling. Strong recommend!
  35. Feb 20, 2012
    Chronicle was a fantastic movie and definitely deserves more than a 69%. Its camera angle was experimental and new (similar to Cloverfield) and I enjoyed it, although some people won't. During the first half of the movie I didn't really enjoy the camera angle, but by the second half I did. The acting was fantastic and the characters were interesting. However, the main character Andrew didChronicle was a fantastic movie and definitely deserves more than a 69%. Its camera angle was experimental and new (similar to Cloverfield) and I enjoyed it, although some people won't. During the first half of the movie I didn't really enjoy the camera angle, but by the second half I did. The acting was fantastic and the characters were interesting. However, the main character Andrew did many things that I didn't feel he would do according to his personality. The ending was bittersweet and the movie had many twists and turns so it wasn't predictable. Overall I loved the movie and was really engrossed in the story. Expand
  36. Feb 24, 2012
    A rare movie. It explored the developments of the characters from before they possessed their powers to the very end. It creates a great deal of conflict in the viewer in terms of who they should feel sympathy for and which characters they should hate. Thoroughly enjoyed the way the film was written, how it was put together, the characters, and the overall storyline. It didn't reallyA rare movie. It explored the developments of the characters from before they possessed their powers to the very end. It creates a great deal of conflict in the viewer in terms of who they should feel sympathy for and which characters they should hate. Thoroughly enjoyed the way the film was written, how it was put together, the characters, and the overall storyline. It didn't really follow any particular formula but everything in it flowed Expand
  37. Jul 23, 2012
    Normal I hate the found footage camera angle but Chronicle uses it very well. The 3 guys touch an alien thing in the ground and get telekinesis which they later figure out how to use to fly, and they go round doing all they awesome stuff everyone has fantasized about doing if they had powers. Its good how the powers affect the characters in different ways but saying any more would spoilNormal I hate the found footage camera angle but Chronicle uses it very well. The 3 guys touch an alien thing in the ground and get telekinesis which they later figure out how to use to fly, and they go round doing all they awesome stuff everyone has fantasized about doing if they had powers. Its good how the powers affect the characters in different ways but saying any more would spoil the story. Some of the effects are really bad but this movie is not meant to be taken seriously enough for it to matter, its just fun. Expand
  38. Mar 6, 2012
    This movie was a very enjoyable experience for me. What really made it great was the fact that they can really show the intensity of having super powers, which brings out a huge range of emotions. The actors were really phenomenal and the action and humor was great as well. The actors kept the movie going for sure it was a good $15 to spend for sure.
  39. Mar 16, 2012
    Chronicle's portrayal of superheroes is dark, gritty and true to life. The found-footage theme does add an amount of realism, and adds a certain emotional impact to the characters that other found footage movies haven't done before. The films morality theme plays out nicely with clever writing and characters you can relate to, however, the pacing can be slow and only seems to pick upChronicle's portrayal of superheroes is dark, gritty and true to life. The found-footage theme does add an amount of realism, and adds a certain emotional impact to the characters that other found footage movies haven't done before. The films morality theme plays out nicely with clever writing and characters you can relate to, however, the pacing can be slow and only seems to pick up around a third of the film. Another issue is the CGI that does seem outdated but isn't bad enough to pull you out of the experience. Overall, Chronicle is a movie you can't miss, with a great story and amazing new actors, Chronicle is a true modern great. Expand
  40. Mar 21, 2012
    This is one of the best movies I've seen this year. It is an original and exciting take on what would happen if some kids came across super powers. I hope there is a sequel because I would definitely see it. Check it out.
  41. Apr 26, 2012
    This movie was incredible! I honestly didn't think I'd like it, but it was completely enthralling and unexpected from beginning to end! I would definitely see it again.
  42. May 21, 2012
    This is the score I wanted to give it.. I don't know why it didn't come up when I first wrote my review! And to show how good this movie is.. I bought it 2 days after watching it.
  43. May 10, 2012
    A fantastic film that starts with a fun and overall teenage theme before developing bit by bit into a suspenseful superhero epic that lasts in your memory. The combination of normal life with superhuman abilities was excellently pulled off, and the cast of young and mostly unheard of actors showcased their talents extremely well.
  44. Jul 13, 2012
    A really unique and compelling superhero flick. Really adds a lot to the found footage genre. Also one of the most realistic superhero movies ever made, as it feels like this would be what would happen if teenagers got super powers. My only problem with the film is that it seems like director Josh Trank has trouble maintaining the found footage filming through some scenes, but ultimately IA really unique and compelling superhero flick. Really adds a lot to the found footage genre. Also one of the most realistic superhero movies ever made, as it feels like this would be what would happen if teenagers got super powers. My only problem with the film is that it seems like director Josh Trank has trouble maintaining the found footage filming through some scenes, but ultimately I think that he pulls it off. Expand
  45. Jan 28, 2013
    Wow.... just wow. I had no idea what this movie was about going in. I thought it would be really cheesy but good worth at least a 4. Definitely a solid 9 and will leave you thinking about it way after the credits roll. Great and worth a watch!
  46. Nov 28, 2012
    Inarguably one of the finest "found footage" movies in cinematic history, "Chronicle" solidly impresses without deadening brain activity.
  47. Mar 10, 2014
    by far one of the best "found footage" films although they accomplish this via the camera being held by the characters telekinetic powers. really blurs the lines between protagonist and antagonist as you feel more and more sympathy for Andrew and the epic clash he has with his Cousin.
  48. Aug 14, 2013
    A fresh and exciting take at both the found footage and superhero origin stories. Chronicle is bolstered by strong performances, impressive special effects, and a profound story about life decisions and there sometimes cruel consequences.
  49. Dec 15, 2013
    I was never into superhero movies before I watched Chronicle, but after this I had to watch every one I could get my hands on. It's just a fantastically well crafted movie, even more so because it doesn't act all idealistic about the characters. They're real teenagers who do stupid for fun with their newfound powers, but it also violently shows how corrupted someone can be when givenI was never into superhero movies before I watched Chronicle, but after this I had to watch every one I could get my hands on. It's just a fantastically well crafted movie, even more so because it doesn't act all idealistic about the characters. They're real teenagers who do stupid for fun with their newfound powers, but it also violently shows how corrupted someone can be when given power, especially when they had less than none before. The three characters are superbly fleshed out and are all brilliant actors, the effects are also perfect, meeting the exact space between fake-looking and obvious-CGI. It's a convincing story that makes you give a about the characters, and as a result you feel good when you watch them mess around with their powers. The flying scene is a good example, I was practically grinning watching it as the first-person view lets you experience it as the characters do. The final battle is also brilliant, and the perfect way for it to end. The last twenty seconds or so are a little odd but I can forgive the film for that. The film overall is thought provoking and an excellent study of what happens when irresponsible people are given the power of gods. Expand
  50. Jan 5, 2014
    In a vast landscape of cheesy, over-the-top superhero movies that lack a true heart and soul, Chronicle is a story packed with philosophical and emotional punch with amazing acting and a first-person "camera" perspective that fits the movie perfectly. The characters and their situations are so realistic and so easy to relate to, that it is hard not to sympathize even with the antagonist.In a vast landscape of cheesy, over-the-top superhero movies that lack a true heart and soul, Chronicle is a story packed with philosophical and emotional punch with amazing acting and a first-person "camera" perspective that fits the movie perfectly. The characters and their situations are so realistic and so easy to relate to, that it is hard not to sympathize even with the antagonist. My only complaint might be the long time it takes for the real theme of the movie to be easily seen, but since the movie is only 90 minutes anyway, the action in the meantime makes this complain a minor detail that can easily get lost in the otherwise brilliant movie. Expand
  51. Nov 25, 2015
    Very well directed movie. I really liked the way this movie was done because it didn't have any useless stuff, everything in this movie mattered! I liked the cast and the story, very much recommended!
  52. Jan 2, 2013
    While initially the combination of a whining lead character and the shaky cam was a massive turn off, as the film got into full swing I started to really appreciate it, to the point where I didn't even notice it anymore. The film has a superb use of effects, from the subtle to the downright ridiculous, everything has a hyper-realistic shine to it that really adds to the effect and overallWhile initially the combination of a whining lead character and the shaky cam was a massive turn off, as the film got into full swing I started to really appreciate it, to the point where I didn't even notice it anymore. The film has a superb use of effects, from the subtle to the downright ridiculous, everything has a hyper-realistic shine to it that really adds to the effect and overall feel of the movie. Very well paced and I really loved how the movie took a proper (though admittedly predictable) dark turn. Beautifully subtle while at the same time tastefully in your face, one of the best action movies of 2012 without a doubt and one to watch again. Expand
  53. Jul 31, 2015
    Chronicle mostly tells a unique superhero story using the powers to explore the dynamics between teenagers. Dane DeHaan nicely captures an emotionally unstable teenager and his friends work well off each other. The found footage doesn’t feel like a gimmick often serving as an extension of Andrew’s character. The film becomes a tad generic in the last third when the showdown between goodChronicle mostly tells a unique superhero story using the powers to explore the dynamics between teenagers. Dane DeHaan nicely captures an emotionally unstable teenager and his friends work well off each other. The found footage doesn’t feel like a gimmick often serving as an extension of Andrew’s character. The film becomes a tad generic in the last third when the showdown between good and evil results in generic dialogue and a climax that Man of Steel would duplicate on steroids a year later. Nonetheless, even with a somewhat generic third act Chronicle is one of the more interesting takes on the superhero story with the realistic tone and the characters who get said powers. Expand
  54. Feb 17, 2012
    I really enjoyed this movie. At first, the hand held camera bugged me but I got used to it and decided that was the right way to do this movie. What was great about the movie was the exploration of the psychology of the 3 different teens (also the actors really seemed older than high schoolers). All in all, much better than I was expecting.
  55. Jun 28, 2012
    Chronicle is a great movie showcased in 85 minutes, It may not have the best effects and a lot of people will find similarites to the anime film akira but chronicle is still one of the best movies of 2012 and hope to see more out of this director.
  56. May 21, 2012
    Its brilliant , its different , it no one ever thought before . Chronicle gives its viewers something totally different . the way they put together the idea of making Superpowers look bad was super . I always wanted to see a movie with superpowers gone bad and Chronicle did it and they did amazing . Josh Trank's direction was super . He is a fine young director and I wish him luck . ofIts brilliant , its different , it no one ever thought before . Chronicle gives its viewers something totally different . the way they put together the idea of making Superpowers look bad was super . I always wanted to see a movie with superpowers gone bad and Chronicle did it and they did amazing . Josh Trank's direction was super . He is a fine young director and I wish him luck . of the three players I like Alex Russell's character and him acting the best . the effects of the film was amazing . How the hell they did all those with so little budget ! Overall an awesome si-fi thriller movie Chronicle is . Waiting for the sequel ..... Expand
  57. Oct 3, 2012
    Thought this was really good..obv, I gave it an 8. What I loved was that despite it being quite a mainstream movie, they were not afraid to make it a tragedy, which it is, in the true sense of the Ancient Greeks. From innocence to experience, was beautiful.
  58. Mar 24, 2012
    The filmmakers of Chronicle did an excellent job at simulating the experiences of teenagers learning to use superhuman powers and just as much learning to deal with the consequences. The characters are invitingly friendly which I believe pulls the viewer in. You understand and feel what every character is going through and deeply empathize with them.
  59. Feb 13, 2012
    It's been a while since I wrote reviews in metacritic, so I thought writing some would be good. Anyways, all could say of Josh Trank's "Chronicle" is that it's very original. He diminishes those first-person camera angle problems by switching viewpoints (from Andrew's camera to other cameras, iphones, and even from the news chopper) which is clever. The script is well written and althoughIt's been a while since I wrote reviews in metacritic, so I thought writing some would be good. Anyways, all could say of Josh Trank's "Chronicle" is that it's very original. He diminishes those first-person camera angle problems by switching viewpoints (from Andrew's camera to other cameras, iphones, and even from the news chopper) which is clever. The script is well written and although the movie's kinda short it has it's sense of intensity most 2 hour movies can't even show off. Expand
  60. Feb 28, 2012
    Most Sci-fi films fail to impress because they over exaggerate, specifically in comic book movies where the hero is far too strong to have trouble fighting a bald guy in a white suit (Superman or Spiderman, take your pick). Chronicle despite its roots as a science fiction feature is remarkably blunt in its execution and hauntingly realistic both in its depiction of these teenagersMost Sci-fi films fail to impress because they over exaggerate, specifically in comic book movies where the hero is far too strong to have trouble fighting a bald guy in a white suit (Superman or Spiderman, take your pick). Chronicle despite its roots as a science fiction feature is remarkably blunt in its execution and hauntingly realistic both in its depiction of these teenagers exploration of their newfound powers or its depiction of domestic violence and grief, itâ Expand
  61. Oct 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Chronicle is a pretty good film that is quite different from other found footage films, I didn't actually have much problems with it, though I had a certain problem(s) in particular. I disliked a certain character quite a bit, Alex Russell's character in particular. His character was annoying as hell and I hate that he ended being the big hero in the end because he was not likeable at all, I really wanted his character to be offed, but that didn't happen. So overall Chronicle was a good film ruined by an annoying main character. Expand
  62. Mar 4, 2012
    What a movie to open the year with (the first new release I've seen this year)! It opens slowly, but builds into a truly fantastic climax that had me very excited throughout. The acting at times is very good and the story is actually quite emotional and can become hard to watch. When the characters get their powers and start to mess around with them is fun to watch as well. Now for the badWhat a movie to open the year with (the first new release I've seen this year)! It opens slowly, but builds into a truly fantastic climax that had me very excited throughout. The acting at times is very good and the story is actually quite emotional and can become hard to watch. When the characters get their powers and start to mess around with them is fun to watch as well. Now for the bad points of the film: Some of the dialogue is too cheesy and feels out of place (the ending in particular) and it takes a while to get interesting. From my experience the film splits opinions, upon reflecting on the film, I said the ending was very good, but my friends disagreed. Definitely go into this movie with an open mind, it helped me a lot. Expand
  63. Mar 2, 2012
    CHRONICLE is basically the same idea as the movie H A N C O C K, but here it is way better executed. The characters act like normal people when things happen. The movie stays true to the title.
  64. Feb 20, 2012
    Its rare to find movies that actually portray what average people would do if they had super powers. Chronicle was a very good movie. where the special effects lacked, the story and characters shined.
  65. May 8, 2012
    A decent movie with good pacing and character development (despite what other critics say), the only real issue is the unnatural use of camera footage. It's unlikely that a woman free falling in mid-air is going to hold a camera at the same time to record all of the action. It's also unlikely that this same woman is going to answer her door with a camera in hand, or use it at every givenA decent movie with good pacing and character development (despite what other critics say), the only real issue is the unnatural use of camera footage. It's unlikely that a woman free falling in mid-air is going to hold a camera at the same time to record all of the action. It's also unlikely that this same woman is going to answer her door with a camera in hand, or use it at every given opportunity. I feel that it could have worked even without the Cloverfield-style camera. With that being said, the acting, story and build up was all perfect. Expand
  66. May 13, 2012
    Chronicle: The best movie I've seen so far this year. Well directed, well cast, with a great plot and extremely entertaining.

While not a masterpiece, it's leagues above similar films.
  67. Apr 19, 2012
    Chronicle is a fresh and original movie; in other words, we need more movies like it. Although it isn't too lengthy (around 80 minutes), Chronicle is an enjoyable and unforgettable film.
  68. Jun 6, 2012
    Although the film style seems unnecessary, Chronicle's plot unravels quite well, giving its audience a perspective that normal people can relate to, as well as developing its protagonists and antagonists without coming off as predictable.
  69. Feb 14, 2012
    The great thing about this movie is that it's kind of unique. The plot is maybe too predictable but in the end it was still worth the watch. I love how after you watch the movie, you'd want to go off having their incredible abilities. Reality strikes.
  70. May 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Chronicle" (2012) tells the story of a adolescent, Andrew, who is
    socially excluded at school, besides being an introvert personalty, and
    serious problems at home with the aggressive alcoholic father and his
    mother, who is dying of terminal cancer.

He still enjoys the company of his cousin, Alex, and at a party, he and
    another friend, Michell, find in a nearby cave a meteorite that give
    them powers of telekinesis, which are discovered little by little ...

Initially the jokes with the use of these powers were funny, but they
    begin to take another course, and the situations of Andrew's life
    ultimately influence his control (and uses) over these powers.

The film has a very good visual, with convincing effects, extremely
    well made that does not transpire much use of CG. Also just taking a
    different approach, because Andrew, early in the film uses a hand-held
    camera to film the assaults of his father, and the camera ends up being
    the main perspective by which the film is shown, until the final half
    hour.

The performances are very good, particularly Dane DeHaan (Andrew) that
    clearly shows the psychological chaos in his life and that culminates
    with the final events shown in the end.

The audio of the movie is nice, with effects and music very good and
    appropriate to the film.

There are some comparisons to Akira, and yes, it resembles it - but
    what that involves psychic powers that does not refer to the Manga or
    Carrie's, somehow?

Anyway, the movie ends up having a very good approach to what the
    conditions of life a person could do with their mind, and what would
    happen if by chance, this person had powers - of course, in a common
    sense much in the film ends up being driven to a adolescent target
    public, but even so, the focus is very good, and it is enjoyable for
    older people.

A great choice for a science fiction - drama movie, with a different
    theme to what we are accustomed.
  71. Feb 25, 2012
    Highly original, engrossing film that always has your full attention. Intense and ultimately tragic, the film smartly grapples with some important themes and succeeds largely on a foundation of realism, fine performances and a smart script. What is initially exciting soon becomes destructive as one of the three teenagers the audience is introduced to uses his new-found abilities as a meansHighly original, engrossing film that always has your full attention. Intense and ultimately tragic, the film smartly grapples with some important themes and succeeds largely on a foundation of realism, fine performances and a smart script. What is initially exciting soon becomes destructive as one of the three teenagers the audience is introduced to uses his new-found abilities as a means to vent his frustration at the world, refining them with practice as to assert his authority over those who have taunted him throughout his life. Fine performances from the young, not-so-eminent cast. A flourish in the careers of all involved are imminent. 7.8. Expand
  72. Feb 26, 2012
    Chronicle is an almost immaculate film that I, at first, had been wary of. I walked in the theater expecting another cheap "found footage" film. Instead, I found Chronicle had taken the "found footage" style and revamped it to suit the movie. It had a strong reason for the camera to be filming the whole movie (the personality of the protagonist) and it wasn't always an annoying firstChronicle is an almost immaculate film that I, at first, had been wary of. I walked in the theater expecting another cheap "found footage" film. Instead, I found Chronicle had taken the "found footage" style and revamped it to suit the movie. It had a strong reason for the camera to be filming the whole movie (the personality of the protagonist) and it wasn't always an annoying first person view. Since the characters have special powers, the protagonist actually uses these powers to move the camera to show a third person view. Even in scenes where the camera is not present, the director used other cameras such as security tapes to show what was going on. The "found footage" style in this movie has been done very well with an original twist. The characters in the movie are also very well rounded. It is easy to say who they are without describing their physical appearance or role in the movie. The film also makes it clear that it is telling a story and it is not a generic good vs. evil film. It is about the consequences of a few teenagers developing special powers and there is no straight out villain. I found I was constantly switching which characters I was rooting for because of the twists and turns that the movie has. The special effects were fantastic, the story was an original spin on the whole "with great power comes great responsibility" theme, and the acting was great. There were only about one or two scenes that had wooden acting, but other than that, each actor was amazing at portraying his or her character. The film also has many side stories and each one of these side plots is interesting and compelling. The second half of the film is very dark and emotional and the main side plot intermingles with the overall main plot, creating an extremely engrossing story. The cinematography in the movie is astonishing, as well. The camerawork shows scenes in a very dramatic or entertaining way, depending on the mood of the scene. The one thing I have to say I didn't like about the film is the climax which I feel was unnecessary. Normally a good vs. evil movie will have a final battle- and this was not a good guy vs. bad guy film. It sort of took away from the feel of the rest of the movie, as it was not needed. It dragged on and was slightly boring until the final part of the climax. There were also one or two parts in the climax that seemed corny, and I think that it should have been taken out entirely and the end results could have come about in a different way. The one thing I like about the climax (besides the end of it) was how it started and I'm not going to say how it started so as to avoid revealing any spoilers. Overall, the film was original and amazing. It was a breath of fresh air from all of the remakes, prequels, and sequels going on right now and I'm definitely going to buy it on Blu-Ray. I'd recommend this film to ages fourteen and up, as it is very graphic and just as dark as The Dark Knight (No pun intended). I'd even recommend this movie to people who don't like the "found footage" style, which is I style that I absolutely despise. However, Chronicle pulled the "found footage" style off so well that I don't think any other movie can beat it in the years to come. The reason I give Chronicle an "8" is because I think the climax took too much away from this fantastic film. Expand
  73. Mar 10, 2012
    The plot line of this movie is quite interesting as it portrays what "normal" people might go through if they were to be gifted with super powers. The ending wasn't the best and the bounciness of the camera might make some people sea-sick other than that great movie!
  74. Mar 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. On the whole I was quite impressed. Usually I find it difficult to tolerate the dark brooding moody teenager archtype, but the development of this particular character was quite well done. The actual pacing of the film was good and kept interest while giving the detail it had to, though perhaps the main characters descent was a bit too quick. The special effects were impressive, though I suspect the style of camera work helps to sidestep most major problems. Overall I felt it was very artistic, the camera work, the type of scenes, the development and demonstration of their powers all meshed together in terms of style and complimented each other very well. Its a very difficult task to make a movie of this genre, with these types of characters and using the camera work they did, and the fact of the matter is that if any of those elements were lacking the entire film would have collapsed. But in Chronicle, it, frankly, all just worked, perhaps a bit heavy handed in the moody teen, but they certainly achieved the look they were going for. Further the final battle was just beautiful, its climax especially was just fantastic. Expand
  75. Jul 31, 2012
    Some poor CGI and acting but a great story and awesome found footage techniques. A group of young teens that face personal problems getting dumped with superpowers is never a good combination. Who will appreciate the power and who will turn?
  76. Apr 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I liked this movie, because it is about superheroes and it doesn't include any capes or tight latex pants and it also has a darker side than your average/normal "super" film. Add to these, a pretty authentic scenario and nice story-telling, and you've got a decent and enjoyable film. Expand
  77. May 5, 2012
    Chronicle is straight and fast forward, kind a found footage scenario, but there is no dull moment in the whole process, everything is sharp , crisp and to the point. Acting is believable, looks strong, smartly directed.One scene, actually tow scenes took my breathe away 1. The whole Ariel ( three boys flying in the clouds)
    2. The penultimate climax.
    The whole, a entertaining
    2. The penultimate climax.

The whole, a entertaining experience.. A must watch.
  78. May 12, 2012
    Entertaining,Impressive and Engaging.It's better than what i expected.Very good use of camera and C.G.I effects Action-Fantasy and drama about a Teenager. This is one the best found footage movies ever. You can easily connect to the characters from the beginning because there are normal teenagers,it worked for me cuz i'm a teenager too.Performances from the younger cast and fast pacingEntertaining,Impressive and Engaging.It's better than what i expected.Very good use of camera and C.G.I effects Action-Fantasy and drama about a Teenager. This is one the best found footage movies ever. You can easily connect to the characters from the beginning because there are normal teenagers,it worked for me cuz i'm a teenager too.Performances from the younger cast and fast pacing direction overshadow many flaws. It's a new achievement in the piece of art and handheld cinema.I liked this movie so much. I hope,they'd make a sequel :) Expand
  79. Jun 13, 2012
    Chronicle is quite an interesting movie to say the least. Sure there a lots of movies out there where people obtain superhero powers but the one thing Chronicle has going for it (apart from a well written script) is the use of the found footage style of filming. The movie is show through the camera lens of a Matt. When he's invited by his cousin Andrew to a party to help him meet people,Chronicle is quite an interesting movie to say the least. Sure there a lots of movies out there where people obtain superhero powers but the one thing Chronicle has going for it (apart from a well written script) is the use of the found footage style of filming. The movie is show through the camera lens of a Matt. When he's invited by his cousin Andrew to a party to help him meet people, Matt along with Andrew and friend Steve discover a cave where they find a large, glowing object. Perhaps due to the over exposition of radiation they begin to experience pain and nosebleeds, eventually collapsing on the floor. The next day they discover that they have telekinetic powers.

What I like about the movie is through the found footage we get to witness a more personal development of the teenagers' characters. It feels as if we are actually witnessing them learning to use, develop and control their powers first hand. It doesn't feel like a movie, it feels like an experience that we are all a part of. It is made clear from the beginning that they experience nosebleeds when ever they put too many stress on themselves. Thus when we see them performing remarkable feats such as moving a car from one parking spot to another without getting nosebleed, we know they're getting stronger. We even get to witness them fly. What's also made clear is that Andrew is he weakest of he group in terms of controlling his powers as he constantly gets nosebleeds and took a while to learn to fly.

Why is that important? Without trying to give away too much, this is a superhero movie right? It's about Good vs Evil. Matt doesn't seem to comprehend the message that with great power comes great responsibility and he becomes, for lack of a better word, a complete douchebag. It's up to Andrew to stop him but by this time we begin to wonder , can Andrew even stop him? Matt was the fastest learner. He was the first to fully develop his powers. He was the strongest, he was the first to fly. Andrew was the slow learner. It's that early character development and development of powers through the lens of the found footage that make the movie that much more thrilling by the time it comes down to the end. One thing I praise this movie for is that it focused more on the villain than the hero, which is something so rare. Usually we see the hero just getting stronger and stronger but how often have we seen the villain? How often have we seen a movie where from the get go you know that the protagonist is nowhere near capable of defeating the antagonist?

While I do make out the use of found footage in this film as the best thing since sliced bread it has its faults. In order to capture Andrew's side of the story, a minor character had to be introduced as she, like Matt, for some odd reason wants to video tape every and every thing. Nonetheless, Chronicle is a gem of a film. It's a unique blend. The found footage really brings this movie to life as you get to witness first hand the development of the groups powers and Matt into the villain as well as Andrew into the hero that is just no match for the villain. This is by far my movie of the year.
  80. Dec 18, 2012
    This film makes you wish you had the superpowers. Much appreciation for the found-footage format, visual effects and in addition the lessons you get to learn about self-control and the desire to be superior.
  81. Dec 23, 2012
    A realistic, powerful and well-acted film that captures the quintessence of ordinary people becoming extraordinary, whilst exposing the journey of sacrifice, loss and the descent to evil.
  82. Aug 10, 2012
    Dark, disturbing, taut, and more emotional than you would expect, "Chronicle" is an intense, well-written film that features non-stop action and leaves you thinking well after the credits have rolled.
  83. Dec 1, 2012
    "Chronicle" is a genuine surprise - a film with a truly believable story that is 'chronicled' through the most convincing and least distracting hand-held camera style I've yet seen. The strength of the movie comes from the characters - these aren't the teens you see in many other movies. These kids act the way real kids do, and play with their powers the way real kids would. You don't"Chronicle" is a genuine surprise - a film with a truly believable story that is 'chronicled' through the most convincing and least distracting hand-held camera style I've yet seen. The strength of the movie comes from the characters - these aren't the teens you see in many other movies. These kids act the way real kids do, and play with their powers the way real kids would. You don't question what they do, because it works completely with their characters, and through both the light and dark turns of the film, they consistently remain realistic teenagers. The story of how they acquire their powers is ingeniously left an open question, and how the final character's life will play out is also left open. You wonder how things go from here, and if indeed he'll ever find out what it was that gave them their telekinetic abilities. What sets this style of camera work above its peers is how it doesn't limit itself to one camera - it moves between all sorts of cameras, capturing the action from many angles, and especially in the last act this lends the film a unique and exciting pace and adrenaline. As far as what I call the "underground superhero" movies (films about superpowered people other than Marvel or DC characters), this is the best I've seen, and certainly worth checking out. Expand
  84. Apr 29, 2013
    A great little superhero inspired film, one of the strengths of the film is how it surprisingly manages to do something interesting with the found footage motif. The film does a great job at making a complex, sympathetic villain, a sort of modern re-imagining of the Lex Luthor story.
  85. May 28, 2013
    Chronicle, the newest addition to the found footage genre. I did like the movie, it had an interesting premise and believable characters. Not only was it enjoyable but it had somwhat heart I did feel for every character on screen, and thats a hard thing to do in found footage movies. I did have some problems with the movies, such as the special effects, it was legit but at points itChronicle, the newest addition to the found footage genre. I did like the movie, it had an interesting premise and believable characters. Not only was it enjoyable but it had somwhat heart I did feel for every character on screen, and thats a hard thing to do in found footage movies. I did have some problems with the movies, such as the special effects, it was legit but at points it looked fake. But I still like the movie. Agian, if you dont like found footage films, dont watch this film. Expand
  86. Jul 22, 2013
    Summary
    +Great acting particularly from the character Andrew (will refer to actors by name of character), who portrays a horrific story of abandonment.
    +While the story is pretty predictable it is still interesting, with a well-rounded ending. +Fantastic camera shots making you feel you are getting the view through the characters eyes. +Excellent interaction between the characters
    Summary
    +Excellent interaction between the characters meaning the film has more substance than your standard action movie.
    +Nice use of special effects, which in a way help to add bits of comedy to help break up the predictable nature of the story.
    -Parts of the film fall flat due to not well executed script writing.
    -The development of Andrew’s psychopathy feels cheesy and is difficult to take seriously.
    -Some of the characters aren’t well portrayed, in particularly Andrews’s dad who while playing a major role in Andrew’s insanity, isn’t featured enough.

Nevertheless despite such negatives, the film is worth a watch, for any movie fan, and I hope that there will be a sequel.

Full Review
    The film starts of fairly slow, as the focus rests on the audience for about 10minutes, developing an understanding for Andrew, who has to deal with an abusive father, a dying mother, and being at the bottom of the social hierarchy at school. While this section is largely well executed with convincing acting, one can’t help but wished for more originality. That said though a major positive of the film is the introduction of Andrew as a cameraman, as he films everything in his life. This helps to get a more interesting take on Andrew’s problems.

Nevertheless the film quickly picks up as Andrew, Steve (a friend he meets at a barn dance) and Matt (Andrews cousin), develop the power telekinesis. While it is a bit of a surprise when they first display their powers, the fact you never find out exactly how they developed it is actually a nice loop hole as it keeps a sense of mystery throughout the film. This section is a nice relaxing moment as it focuses on the development of the friends’ friendship. In particularly the scene at the mall with Matt trying to pull gum out of a guy’s mouth, is a particular giggle. This section is enhanced by clever acting and interesting concepts like using telekinesis to enhance sexual performance.

However what is really clever about this mid-section of the film is how behind the scenes you begin to realise their power is developing to dangerous levels (in the film telekinesis is like a muscle and it gets stronger the more they use it). This danger is highlighted when Andrew cause a car to crash. In this particularly scene the lack of care in Andrew emerges as he can’t understand what he did wrong. Nevertheless the friends quickly develop their powers further by having a hoot while flying. This flying scene helps to maintain that balances between using telekinesis for fun, and it being deadly, meaning the action packed bit of the film is to come, and helping to maintain the audience’s suspense.

Furthermore this high quality is maintained throughout the rest of the film (for the most part) and in particularly the fight section at the end of the film is cleverly pulled off, with interesting choice of weapons like a flying bus. Such creativity in this fight section helps to maintain interest, as it makes the film feel more special than your average action film, where most of the focus appears to be focused on special effects. This is followed up by an ending which is balanced ending as it is well executed ending demonstrating the real danger behind too much power. This once again adds to the specialness of the film cause while the ending is predictable, it is well executed.

If there is a major section where the film falls flat, it is the downfall of Andrew. This is largely let down by lack of originality, because essential Andrew develops ideas of Social Darwinism meaning he is not restricted by normal moral restrictions, meaning he begins using his power in sinister ways e.g. dealing with bullies at school. Unfortunately Andrews’s development of psychopathy is a bit cheesy, and it means that the story becomes predictable, because it becomes obvious where he powers would end up leading him to.

There are other areas where the film seems to have failed to capitalise on opportunities to make the film legendary. The main area is the lack of development of certain characters. The most obvious one is Andrew’s dad who you learn very little about beyond his alcoholism meaning his actions aren’t interesting because his motives are largely unknown. The other majorly under-developed character is that of Casey (Matt’s girl) who in meaning ways seems more like a filler than anything else, as her role is largely to film (she films things for her vlog) elements of the film Andrew isn’t present in.

Nevertheless the film is certainly worth a watch, due to the combination of acting and interesting elements, combined with nice action.
  87. May 9, 2014
    My favorite character in this film was the camera. Even though I normally dislike "found footage" style movies, the way they personified the camera was very unique and interesting. Shots become more meaningful and carry more depth when you realize how the camera is it's own person while being an extension of Andrew. I have never seen a movie where you see a camera's footage and then theMy favorite character in this film was the camera. Even though I normally dislike "found footage" style movies, the way they personified the camera was very unique and interesting. Shots become more meaningful and carry more depth when you realize how the camera is it's own person while being an extension of Andrew. I have never seen a movie where you see a camera's footage and then the camera itself from a third-person perspective. Obviously, the film style of character documentation comes with the cliche, "Did you get that?" and other such phrases, but I was pleasantly surprised at how much it added to the story. Even though it might be difficult, I would love to see more movies include the camera as a character. Expand
  88. Jun 22, 2015
    Despite using the found footage technique that has been recycled over and over now Chronicle has managed to expand the super hero film genre. It is also a transformation film an does not follow the clichés that super hero films have been unable to avoid lately. This film does not beat around in the bush. It is quick and to the point. Unlike most found footage films Chronicle has a greatDespite using the found footage technique that has been recycled over and over now Chronicle has managed to expand the super hero film genre. It is also a transformation film an does not follow the clichés that super hero films have been unable to avoid lately. This film does not beat around in the bush. It is quick and to the point. Unlike most found footage films Chronicle has a great cast with young actors that have some real potential. Josh Trank was so innovative with this film and it makes me interested to see what he will do in the Fantastic Four reboot. Expand
  89. Sep 13, 2015
    I have to say that I wasn't expecting this at all. It's obviously because we've had so many Marvel superhero films the last ten years, but I was a little afraid this film would be dry, meaningless, and unable to differentiate itself from other superhero films. Fortunately, it isn't any of those things. In fact, this is barely a superhero film, and is really about the relationships betweenI have to say that I wasn't expecting this at all. It's obviously because we've had so many Marvel superhero films the last ten years, but I was a little afraid this film would be dry, meaningless, and unable to differentiate itself from other superhero films. Fortunately, it isn't any of those things. In fact, this is barely a superhero film, and is really about the relationships between people. It's about the awkwardness of high school, the process of trying to gain acceptance before you accept or know yourself. It's about human will, as Matt explains early in the film, and that we all wish we could be greater than the sum of our parts. Sometimes we wish we could explode through a situation, instead of having to trudge through the mire and stink of unfriendly faces and dreadful expectations. The three friends are all unique characters. The auxiliary characters surrounding Andrew Detmer are all perfectly designed foils made to give Detmer a reason to break the laws of physics. Kudos to Max Landis for an outstanding screenplay. This film certainly relies on it, but is watchable because of its thoughtfulness and authenticity. If superhero films could be less like pornography and more like Death of a Salesman, they'd be worth watching over and over again. Chronicle provides a unique and heartfelt concept, enhanced and augmented by vibrant visuals and riveting action sequences, in an industry where authenticity is hard to find. Expand
  90. Feb 8, 2016
    Chronicle is a sometimes fun, slightly dark film about a boy and his camera.

Watch this here for free http://www.watchfree.to/watch-29af89-Chronicle-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
  91. May 22, 2012
    As boys grow, they dream of having superpowers. And during the first part of the film you are taken on a ride on what it feels like to gain such powers and the possibilities it brings. However, the second part is also a reminder that with great power comes great responsibility and even though the build up is great, the ending felt a bit short. Regardless, this is the stuff greatAs boys grow, they dream of having superpowers. And during the first part of the film you are taken on a ride on what it feels like to gain such powers and the possibilities it brings. However, the second part is also a reminder that with great power comes great responsibility and even though the build up is great, the ending felt a bit short. Regardless, this is the stuff great entertainment is made of. Expand
  92. Feb 19, 2012
    You have to put up with the eye rolling teenage behavior that only Hollywood perceives teenagers to be, and of course the horrible moving camera, but it turns out to be an entertaining film. The movie progressively gets better and better as it goes on so be patient. I thought the special effects, for the most part, were great. They could have made the teenagers a little more likable soYou have to put up with the eye rolling teenage behavior that only Hollywood perceives teenagers to be, and of course the horrible moving camera, but it turns out to be an entertaining film. The movie progressively gets better and better as it goes on so be patient. I thought the special effects, for the most part, were great. They could have made the teenagers a little more likable so that you cared more about the characters and their predicament, but for the most part they are annoying. Still, I enjoyed it. Expand
  93. May 6, 2012
    Chronicle is a good movie but not quite a great one. The handheld 'Cloverfield' style camera style works well for the most part, but it's sometimes replaced by standard camera shots... Which is confusing and doesn't make sense. The acting is solid and the effects are surprisingly well done. The climax is bound to impress. My one great complaint is that the hero of the movie has too littleChronicle is a good movie but not quite a great one. The handheld 'Cloverfield' style camera style works well for the most part, but it's sometimes replaced by standard camera shots... Which is confusing and doesn't make sense. The acting is solid and the effects are surprisingly well done. The climax is bound to impress. My one great complaint is that the hero of the movie has too little screen-time and seems like a one dimensional wooden plank, especially when compared to the villain. When all is said and done, Chronicle is definitely worth seeing if you're a superhero fan. Expand
  94. Feb 18, 2012
    Just once I'd like to see what teenage girls do with a superpower. Why is it always boys? Especially, since we know they will only use it to impress girls... and ultimately kill each other.
  95. Jun 9, 2013
    Shot using ‘Blair Witch’ style found footage Chronicle documents what happens when three friends find themselves endowed with telekinetic abilities. Being teenagers however they don’t all handle their new power so well and cracks soon began to appear in their friendship.

Aside from the problem that all found footage movies have, namely the question of why someone would still be filming at certain points, Chronicle makes for a very good watch from start to finish. In fact, thanks to its largely believable cast and script as well as some very good visual effects, it is arguably better than any of the movies that inspired it.
  96. Sep 17, 2012
    Chronicle has what many lesser found footage films lack. The genre has a history of sacrificing character for style, of using hand-held filming to hide a lack of budget. This film has very strong performances from the three leads Dane DeHaan, Alex Russell and Michael B. Jordan (especially DeHaan) who all play interesting, well-developed characters that you enjoy spending time with, and theChronicle has what many lesser found footage films lack. The genre has a history of sacrificing character for style, of using hand-held filming to hide a lack of budget. This film has very strong performances from the three leads Dane DeHaan, Alex Russell and Michael B. Jordan (especially DeHaan) who all play interesting, well-developed characters that you enjoy spending time with, and the film's entertaining premise of the three highschool friends gaining superpowers after the discovery of a mysterious object provides some good laughs and fun spectacle, particularly in the scenes where the boys are learning to control their new gifts. The film also creatively gets round the chief weakness of the found footage genre - who's holding the camera? (the way they do this is a highlight which I won't spoil here). Like Cloverfield, Chronicle doesn't try to provide a concrete explanation for the odd goings on that we witness, but this mostly works for the film, and you should be able to fill in the gaps yourself (at least until an inevitable sequel surfaces which will doubtless expand on the film's universe). Disappointingly, the final act of Chronicle is pretty poor. The action becomes all-consuming and repetitive, the characters are reduced to conduits for the filmmakers to spend their remaining budget rather than anyone you can care about anymore, and the presence of one of the secondary characters is seemingly only to have someone else holding a camcorder. In other words, the film becomes just like all the films it has, up to the final act, been surpassing. Though the finale is an overblown, flaccid bore, the rest of Chronicle is a riot, and feels pleasingly original for a film that is part of a filmmaking craze that has long outstayed its welcome. Here's hoping the sequel builds on the considerable successes we find here, though without Josh Trank's sturdy direction (he's reportedly been headhunted to helm bigger superhero fare), it remains to be seen whether a second instalment will become too big and dumb. Expand
  97. Feb 11, 2012
    Chrinicle is a fun movie that feels novel and authentic. The films gimmick at first feels out of place but it does eventually feel like a good choice to dive into the life of these teenagers. However chronicle had it's faults. Alot of the dialogue near the end of the film was very cheesy and poorly acted. I also found the film's story to be cliched. I found some of the cuts to be terriblyChrinicle is a fun movie that feels novel and authentic. The films gimmick at first feels out of place but it does eventually feel like a good choice to dive into the life of these teenagers. However chronicle had it's faults. Alot of the dialogue near the end of the film was very cheesy and poorly acted. I also found the film's story to be cliched. I found some of the cuts to be terribly executed and distracting in the film. Because of this many scenes felt oddly broken when they should have been one long take with no cut. Overall I found chronicle to be a fun but cliched novel and authentic idea, if that makes sense.

(I found the background of the very last scene of the film to look extremely fake and very poorly executed. This was a disapointement because the previous scenes they worked so hard to make them look real.)
  98. Mar 23, 2012
    Chronicle to me was a bit confusing, the plot seemed to act like a yo-yo one minute everything is slow and then suddenly everyone is high and the cameraman is having a spazm.
    The effect were well done and the actors were not to bad though the main guy was a little on the crazy side and getting to the point where he didn't seem for real.
    The film is ok and it is not the greatest film of the
    The film is ok and it is not the greatest film of the year or the greatest superhero film.
    IMO it was not worth the ticket but could be a good film to rent and watch with friends
  99. Feb 18, 2012
    What a clever film......It's equal party funny and gritty and even a little unexpected.....
    I was pleasantly surprised that the 'cam corder' type cinematography, something I hate usually, didn't detract from the experience but added to it.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    Feb 10, 2012
    Unlike other mock documentaries, which unconvincingly pass themselves off as real, Chronicle cleverly embraces the format as shorthand for a new kind of naturalism, inviting audiences to suspend disbelief and join in the fantasy of being able to do anything with their minds.
  2. Reviewed by: Aaron Hillis
    Feb 10, 2012
    Chronicle, with its found-footage storytelling and superpowered teens, at least playfully transcends its "Cloverfield meets Heroes" pitch.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark Jenkins
    Feb 10, 2012
    A few more bucks (or a little more thought) for the script would have been a better investment than faking Seattle. The characters are introduced so quickly, and their personalities are so thin, that what happens to them has little weight.