7.4

1. JasonD
    Jan 27, 2001
    Halfway through, I was convinced that I was going to wind up disliking this movie because of where it was obviously going. But it went someplace else entirely, and did so well.
  2. DwightB.
    May 4, 2002
    Mike White's performance as man-child in La La Land is incisive and brilliant. Watch the scene where he and the child actor unconsiously begin chewing gum in sync--- stunning revelation. The intensity of this performance should make every heterosexual man squirm with discomfort, and reveals how society tries to block emotional maturation among gays by excluding them from the Mike White's performance as man-child in La La Land is incisive and brilliant. Watch the scene where he and the child actor unconsiously begin chewing gum in sync--- stunning revelation. The intensity of this performance should make every heterosexual man squirm with discomfort, and reveals how society tries to block emotional maturation among gays by excluding them from the "life-markers" that mark such progress. Prom, Dating, Marriage, etc. Think about it. Expand
  3. AllieJ.
    Jul 1, 2002
    This was good stuff. It wasn't run of the mill blockbuster garbage and maybe thats why some people didnt like it. It's reality and it goes where you dont expect it to. After the first ten minutes I wasnt sure that this was for me - but I got wrapped up in the characters and suddenly I couldnt tear myself away.
  4. RyanM.
    Jul 19, 2001
    So awfully terrible that it's funny. It's worth watching twice because it's so bad. It makes you want to switch the channel to "Montel."
  5. MikeL.
    Mar 23, 2004
    This movie is one of those "every day life movies" that seems to take a really long time to get to the point (if it has a point at all). It develops on the ideas of childhood inocence, homosexuality and the common decency found in people's lives. I liked it for the way it was able to tie these obscure, unalike entities together. How atypical of our current movie industry.
  6. JohnJ.
    Mar 15, 2002
    The absolute worst movie I have ever seen. No doubt about it. Crap from beginning to end. I think critics like it because it did well at sundance and are to scared to admit it is the piece of junk that it is.
  7. LynC.
    Sep 24, 2002
    Wow. A bold and truly interesting film. I've never seen anything like it. I am officially a Mike White fan.
  8. Tim
    Oct 21, 2003
    The briliance of this movie is the discomfort that comes from watching it the first time. after seeing it many times, my friends and i love bringing in new people to watch it, more for their reactions than the movie itself.
  9. AaronF.
    Feb 27, 2004
    I love this movie, but I can see how some people might become a little uncomfortable. I guess if you are a fan of dark comedy, indie kookiness, or overt homoeroticism, this is the film for you (The acting is also quite good) !!

Despite Arteta's best efforts, I eventually stopped caring about their bond because Chuck's character is conceived as such a two-dimensional yuppie.
  2. Reviewed by: Ernest Hardy
    One of the best films of the year. Queer in every sense of the word, it's poignant, laugh-out-loud funny and thoroughly provocative.
    Arteta and White manage to bring off both the comedy and the tenderness in this tale of a jilted friend who sticks to his passions like chewing gum on a shoe.