8.2

1. CookieZ.
    Sep 16, 2006
    Excellent movie! Russell Crowe is the best.
  2. Nov 28, 2012
    Gripping, rousing, and redolent of a much harder time, "Cinderella Man" is a purely endearing masterpiece of a sports drama.
  3. KarlM.
    Sep 14, 2005
    Ron Howard should be executed and Renee Zellweger burned at the stake. Justice! Justice be made!
  4. Brooke
    Nov 1, 2005
    Fantastice! The best movie out this year! So inspiring and Renee and Russell did an awesome job at playing their characters. I never cry in movies but this time i did! It really touched me.
  5. SalmanH.
    Dec 5, 2005
    Awesome Movie....it touched me in so many ways.
  6. dean
    Jun 2, 2005
    I would like to make special mention of the fact that the film critics above; the vast majority are men giving a film rating on a boxing/action film that do not usually go down well with female audiences. In my opinion this is bad and one sided which tells me nothing. I am more interested in the female reponse/survey and what their opinion is because they usually have far more weight in I would like to make special mention of the fact that the film critics above; the vast majority are men giving a film rating on a boxing/action film that do not usually go down well with female audiences. In my opinion this is bad and one sided which tells me nothing. I am more interested in the female reponse/survey and what their opinion is because they usually have far more weight in deciding on what movie to see and will drag their boyfriends/ husbands kicking and screaming to a romantic film. Everyone is entiled to their opinion but one film reviewer wrote that Russell Crowe, was calamitously miscast which I thinks is very funny indeed. You will never work in Hollywod even as a hack screen writer or Hollywood mogul. I am more interested to know what the other half (50% of the population) of the female population think when they go to see this film. I remember an earlier film called Gladiator that stared Russell Crowe and the Hollywood film studio was absolutely blown away with the survey results of this this action movie;they did a secret survey and were surpried to discover that women were going back in their droves and watching the film a second and third time.:-)) Normally women are not very impressed with action movies thatgo down like a lead balloon. Methinks action speaks louder than words. Expand
  7. ThomasJ.
    Jun 4, 2005
    A strong contender for me for "The Worst Movie of 2005."
  8. MarisaN.
    Jun 5, 2005
    Men AND women were on the edge of their seats throughout the film. I saw men with tears in their eyes (when they weren't busy punching air during the incredibly exciting boxing scenes). I saw women nodding their heads in complete silent agreement with Jim Braddock's wife during the heartfelt family scenes. Russell Crowe was nothing short of amazing, as well Paul Giamatti. Men AND women were on the edge of their seats throughout the film. I saw men with tears in their eyes (when they weren't busy punching air during the incredibly exciting boxing scenes). I saw women nodding their heads in complete silent agreement with Jim Braddock's wife during the heartfelt family scenes. Russell Crowe was nothing short of amazing, as well Paul Giamatti. Can't wait to see it again this afternoon, and this time I'm bringing a bunch of friends! Expand
  9. ChadS.
    Jun 9, 2005
    Paul Giamatti comes very close to walking away with this movie. His ringside cajoling is what makes Jim Braddock's climactic fight against Max Baer (Wow! That's Craig Bierko!) so riveting. He's excited, so we're excited. The bond between trainer and fighter is such a close one (and Braddock and Gould do seem tight before the fighter hits skid row), so you wonder if Paul Giamatti comes very close to walking away with this movie. His ringside cajoling is what makes Jim Braddock's climactic fight against Max Baer (Wow! That's Craig Bierko!) so riveting. He's excited, so we're excited. The bond between trainer and fighter is such a close one (and Braddock and Gould do seem tight before the fighter hits skid row), so you wonder if there's a scene in which Braddock lashes out at his trainer for abandoning him on the cutting room floor. In "Rocky", Sylvester Stallone gives Burgess Meredith a hard time before he allows their partnership to resume. In real-life, if Russell Crowe met Gould in that boxing club parlour, he would've decked him. But Crowe is such an accomplished actor, you forget all the tabloid stuff. You just see an actor plying his craft, well. Expand
  10. SharonB.
    Jul 9, 2005
    The first half was an excellent depiction of the Depression, but that element seemed to fade by the end of the film (and became another one of Ron Howard's sappy movies).
  11. PS
    May 30, 2005
    Excellent movie! An inspiration to see a couple whose love and dedication to one another and their children is tested by the incredibly trying times of the Great Depression. Despite the odds they both stick together. Great cinematography, excellent acting.
  12. MP
    Jun 10, 2005
    I was literally sweating when this movie was over. Best boxing film since Raging Bull.
  13. StevenK.
    Jun 10, 2005
    Exceptionally moving depiction of living/surviving through the Depression. -- plus a very well done boxing story. Top notch acting. More people should see this movie.
  14. dougK.
    Oscars for everyone.
  15. LarryV.
    Jun 3, 2005
    WOW! What a movie. It keeps you intimately involved with the plot throughout and you'll find yourself going from being choked up to having chills over and over again. Love, honesty, motivation, courage, honor, and dedication. This movie has it all. The film is perfectly cast and the acting is absolutely unprecedented. Credit to all who were involved in making this legendary WOW! What a movie. It keeps you intimately involved with the plot throughout and you'll find yourself going from being choked up to having chills over and over again. Love, honesty, motivation, courage, honor, and dedication. This movie has it all. The film is perfectly cast and the acting is absolutely unprecedented. Credit to all who were involved in making this legendary production. I must say, I know now how to answer when I'm asked about myfavorite movie. At 99/100, this film would be under-rated. TRULY AN EPIC. Expand
  16. SamJ.
    Jun 3, 2005
    An embarrassing and shameless boxing flick that uses an endless series of cliches to tell its dull story.
  17. MarileeB.
    Jun 4, 2005
    No question, this is one of the best films I've seen in years. It's not groundbreaking, it's not terribly innovative. Cinderella Man is just filmaking at it's all around finest. Crowe is realistic, low keyed perfection as Jim Braddock. Why isn't this man taking more roles? Probably because he has taste and intelligence, and refuses to make films for the wrong No question, this is one of the best films I've seen in years. It's not groundbreaking, it's not terribly innovative. Cinderella Man is just filmaking at it's all around finest. Crowe is realistic, low keyed perfection as Jim Braddock. Why isn't this man taking more roles? Probably because he has taste and intelligence, and refuses to make films for the wrong reasons. We need stories that celebrate life, celebrate good men and women and remind us why we struggle through our lives. Crowe, Howard, Giamatti and Zelwegger give us that in The Cinderella Man. Expand
  18. ChristinA.
    Jun 4, 2005
    OVER -RATED THIS AIN'T NO MILLION DOLLAR BABY.
  19. JohnB.
    Jun 4, 2005
    So many 10s for such a mediocre movie, in fact a bad one!
  20. CindyW.
    Jun 5, 2005
    Uplifting and inspirational, yes; schmaltzy and too sentimental, no way! Crowe and Giamatti were pure acting perfection, both deserve Oscars. We need more quality adult entertainment such as this.
  21. JohnC.
    Jun 5, 2005
    Competent. Not overly melodramatic.
  22. PattieN.
    Jun 5, 2005
    Finally, a great movie without the cynical, depressive cliches that are becoming the standard in todays "cool" films. Outstanding cast and story.
  23. Rhonda
    Jun 5, 2005
    Exhilerating, moving, exciting, uplifting. A beautiful love story, an edge of your seat adventure. Overall, the best human and humane drama, I've seen in years. Will definitely go to see it again.
  24. LarryW.
    Jun 7, 2005
    Trash from Hollywood's most famous hack director.
  25. VictorB
    Jun 8, 2005
    As boxing movies go, I always thought of Rocky and Raging Bull as the absolute best. Not just for the fight scenes, it was the backstory and the vulnurability of it's characters as well as the way you could feel that you can relate to them. No other boxing film has gotten it right including 'Million Dollar Baby'. No other boxing film until now. This movie is better than As boxing movies go, I always thought of Rocky and Raging Bull as the absolute best. Not just for the fight scenes, it was the backstory and the vulnurability of it's characters as well as the way you could feel that you can relate to them. No other boxing film has gotten it right including 'Million Dollar Baby'. No other boxing film until now. This movie is better than "Rocky" or "Raging Bull" and those are great films! People are more cynical now and more aware of 'performances' and 'direction' and 'manipulation' and terms like that. By those standards though no boxing movie is worth anything. How about we forget everything we've "learned" from online reveiws and remember to just enjoy a solid filmaking effort. Watch "Cinderella Man" and you'll have the best time at the movies ever. Expand
  26. RBENZ
    Jun 9, 2005
    Very enjoyable stand-up-and-cheer kind of film.
  27. DougT.
    Apr 27, 2007
    As any Aficionado of inspiring movies would feel, this is an uplifting story not only for those who were the beneficiaries of the real James Braddock's experiences but also those who have come to enjoy and love the cinematic representation of the story of his life. Uplifting, inspiring and truly heartwrenching are the moments of risk and achievement of this man's great story. As any Aficionado of inspiring movies would feel, this is an uplifting story not only for those who were the beneficiaries of the real James Braddock's experiences but also those who have come to enjoy and love the cinematic representation of the story of his life. Uplifting, inspiring and truly heartwrenching are the moments of risk and achievement of this man's great story. Great job by all who were involved in this production. Expand
  28. TonyB.
    Dec 22, 2005
    Russell Crowe may be a lousy hotel guest but he's one hell of an actor, as he shows again in one of the best films of the year. Well supported by Renee Zellweger, Paul Giametti and an excellent cast, he creates an indelible portrait of an American hero. The film's cinematography, editing and production design should be remembered at Oscar time.
  29. JamesF
    Dec 7, 2005
    Entertaining movie with a good story and excellent acting & directing.
  30. Rev.Rikard
    Oct 8, 2005
    Post 9/11 American needed a movie revealing the strength of the human spirit when pushed against the wall. It is obvious Ron Howard and Russell Crowe know the strengths and weaknesses of the other. Together they have made one of the few movies that makes one want to stand and cheer the leading character. The only issue that made watching this movie difficult is the knowledge of Post 9/11 American needed a movie revealing the strength of the human spirit when pushed against the wall. It is obvious Ron Howard and Russell Crowe know the strengths and weaknesses of the other. Together they have made one of the few movies that makes one want to stand and cheer the leading character. The only issue that made watching this movie difficult is the knowledge of Crowe's "off screne" persona. Though we hypothetically are to leave such info outside the door, nevertheless, watching him reach deep as Braddock to fight for his family's survival only conjurs up his real-life tempermental outbursts. If someone could have exercised these images from my head I would have become enraputred by this film's story. A-list stars must realize that with such an instrusive papparazi, their public behaviors can easily snake their way into their roles, in a distracting manner. God! I reallly wanted to adore this movie! Russell, please learn some anger-management. Expand
  31. JulieK
    May 30, 2005
    The best movie we've seen this year! Russell Crowe was superb! Absolutely inspiring! We can't wait to see it again!
  32. BradB.
    May 30, 2005
    Braddock was without flaw and this was the main flaw of Cinderella Man. Braddock was larger than life. This is fine for comic books but it would of been nice to see a shortcoming... at least one.
  33. JoeR.
    Jun 11, 2005
    The most superficial American film I've seen in years. These "professionals" should be ashamed of themselves. Everything rings false.
  34. TeresaE.
    Jun 1, 2005
    Wonderful in every respect. I loved it! Crowe is truly the best actor working today. A triumph for him and for Ron Howard!
  35. ClintH.
    Dissapointing, cliiched, predictable.
  36. SueM
    Jun 16, 2005
    It's pretty funny how a movie can have 5 or 6 zeros in a row with similar comments, and you think we don't realize it's the same person? Anyhow, this movie, although not perfect, is well-written, extremely well-acted (esp. Crowe and Giamatti), and although it's predictable and emotionally manipulative, that's okay 'cause everything else is so well done. It's pretty funny how a movie can have 5 or 6 zeros in a row with similar comments, and you think we don't realize it's the same person? Anyhow, this movie, although not perfect, is well-written, extremely well-acted (esp. Crowe and Giamatti), and although it's predictable and emotionally manipulative, that's okay 'cause everything else is so well done. Despite the fact that I knew the outcome (who doesn't?) it was suspenseful and uplifting. the film is definitely worth your time and money. Expand
  37. KarenC.
    Jun 1, 2005
    Cinderella Man is excellent examples of well skilled acting, especially by Russell Crow and the strong story telling abilities of director Ron Howard, totally entertaining for men and woman.
  38. Sondra
    Jun 19, 2005
    Although this movie had a theme of victory and redemption and even though it was actually a story of common man "heroism"....the grossness of "in your face" battering, blood and obscenities coming out of the screen with lightning rapidity shot this thing out of the water. Great story..... I wish I'd simply read about it.
  39. KevinP.
    Jun 2, 2005
    This movie was terrific. Crowe was excellent! Academy Award in the summer is rare but here is the winner!
  40. MarcD.
    Jun 3, 2005
    Forget the rest of this garbage...does anyone else out there just hate how smug that prick Russell Crowe is? Intolerable.
  41. JoshuaL.
    Jun 3, 2005
    The best film I've seen in 4 years. Russell deserves his second Oscar for this so badly it hurts. Easily the frontrunner and probable winner for this years Best Picture Oscar.
  42. AndreaD.
    Jun 3, 2005
    Deliberate Oscar bait which is rarely better than mediocre. Definitely a "wait for DVD" movie. The down-your-throat marketing campaign is much like "Seabiscuit," which was released by the same studio.
  43. andrewm.
    Jun 4, 2005
    Best Movie of the Year...hands down.
  44. AndrewS.
    Jun 4, 2005
    I must laugh at the mindless people above who say things like "Oscars for everyone." That is exactly what this film intended when conceived. There is little art here, only boredom, pretension and manipulation.
  45. JamesM.
    Jun 4, 2005
    A fraudulent movie throughout. Rene Zellweger gets the prize as the most embarrassing performance in the film; this is Howard's pandering to the Hollywood "formula." Nothing original here, and little to keep you watching. Pop in your DVD of "Raginbg Bull."
  46. JanetM.
    Jun 4, 2005
    Paul Giamatti, who was spectacular in "Sideways," uses his eyebrows a lot her; Zellweger gives the worst performance of her career, and Crowe is quite good. Nonetheless this is a turkey.
  47. JasonG.
    Jun 4, 2005
    Filled with sugar and bland segments, this film is nothing more than underdog bravado done with forgettable plainess. One of the worst boxing films ever made. The users who are praising it should get a life; what simpletons!!!
  48. MartyK.
    Jun 4, 2005
    This movie, clearly aimed at winning Oscars despite its early-in-the-year release is devoid of art, only shameless commercialism.
  49. FrankA.
    Jun 4, 2005
    So many boxing movies over the years have excelled; unfortunately this is one of the worst out there. The people who like this drivel don't expect much from the movies except mindless entertainment. I advise you to investigate foreign cinema!
  50. AnneB.
    Jun 5, 2005
    Wonderful movie. Very moving and exciting boxing scenes.
  51. RyanC.
    Jun 5, 2005
    This is a terrific film in every aspect of the word ! This movie was not only a great depiction of trials and triumphs of a boxing legend, but is a movie about hope, dreams, and aspirations of the human spirit. This film was never meant to be simply a "boxing" movie as the film runs much deeper than that and apparantly many people cannot seem to see beyond that. Great acting, and This is a terrific film in every aspect of the word ! This movie was not only a great depiction of trials and triumphs of a boxing legend, but is a movie about hope, dreams, and aspirations of the human spirit. This film was never meant to be simply a "boxing" movie as the film runs much deeper than that and apparantly many people cannot seem to see beyond that. Great acting, and directing. Absolutely one of my favorite films of all time !! Expand
  52. xantham.
    Jun 5, 2005
    Great, great film...Russell Crowe supasses even himself! Russell Crowe is undoubtably the worlds greatest actor! The entire cast gave wonderful performances.
  53. TonyL.
    Jun 6, 2005
    A total and complete embarrassment!
  54. MikeT.
    Jun 6, 2005
    Easily the best film I've seen in the past few years. Crowe's performance should garner another Oscar.
  55. SusilawatiR.
    Jun 6, 2005
    The best flick from Ron Howard, Russell Crowe, Renee Z, and Paul Giamatti. Hope that this will get lots of awards come Oscars time!! Truly superb and heart-warming piece of celluloid. Russell Crowe is simply magnificent!!
  56. BurbakA.
    Jun 6, 2005
    This is a well made movie
  57. PaulF.
    Jun 6, 2005
    This movie was better than Rocky and I liked the first two a hell of a lot. This movie not only had a sense of realism about boxing than Rocky did which was more fantasy like but also had a tremedous emotional spirit that was over all uplifting. On top of it all the acting was dead on. Crowe, Zellweger, and Giamatti deserve honorable mentions. They truly have become masters in their arts. This movie was better than Rocky and I liked the first two a hell of a lot. This movie not only had a sense of realism about boxing than Rocky did which was more fantasy like but also had a tremedous emotional spirit that was over all uplifting. On top of it all the acting was dead on. Crowe, Zellweger, and Giamatti deserve honorable mentions. They truly have become masters in their arts. I was also impressed with the acting abiliity of the children, it was truly incredible. I didn't know you could get children that young to act but thanks I sure to Ron Howard they did. Thanks Ron for another great movie. Expand
  58. EricW.
    Jun 7, 2005
    This is a formula movie, and the worst possible kind. The people who are praising it are the same ones who watch professional wrestling.
  59. FrankC.
    Jun 7, 2005
    Through the years we have had some splendid boxing flicks, like Champion, Body and Soul, The Set-Up, Rocky, Million Dollar Baby and especially Raging Bull. This is the worst of them all.
  60. JamesG.
    Jun 7, 2005
    A boring and trite boxing movie with awful performances.
  61. PatrickR.
    Jun 7, 2005
    I really enjoyed this film. The fight scenes are gripping. Great performences by Crowe as Jim Braddock and Giamatti as his manager Joe Gould.
  62. SusanM.
    Jun 8, 2005
    A flawless movie, better than Million Dollar Baby! The acting is brilliant and the story makes you want to stand up and cheer. Ron Howard did an absolutely fantastic job of directing, every detail was so precise, I wouldn't have changed a thing about this inspiring story. Anyone who gave this movie a zero should stick to movies within their scope, like "Son of The Mask" or "Dude, A flawless movie, better than Million Dollar Baby! The acting is brilliant and the story makes you want to stand up and cheer. Ron Howard did an absolutely fantastic job of directing, every detail was so precise, I wouldn't have changed a thing about this inspiring story. Anyone who gave this movie a zero should stick to movies within their scope, like "Son of The Mask" or "Dude, Where's My Car", if you know what I'm saying!! Expand
  63. jesse
    Jun 8, 2005
    Just a great movie . Great acting, story, music score, and direction with some great fight footage. What more could you want in a movie. First rate effort all the way around.
  64. SethA
    Jun 8, 2005
    Better than Rocky, Raging Bull or Million Dollar Baby. That's saying something!
  65. MarkB.
    Jun 9, 2005
    [***SPOILERS***] Mr. Difficult Actor Meets Mr. Nice Guy Director, Round 2. While the results are less striking and original than Russell Crowe's and Ron Howard's previous collaboration, the John Nash biography A Beautiful Mind, it's only because there are a whole lot more boxing movies out there than there are brilliant-but-troubled-games-theorist films. Crowe, playing[***SPOILERS***] Mr. Difficult Actor Meets Mr. Nice Guy Director, Round 2. While the results are less striking and original than Russell Crowe's and Ron Howard's previous collaboration, the John Nash biography A Beautiful Mind, it's only because there are a whole lot more boxing movies out there than there are brilliant-but-troubled-games-theorist films. Crowe, playing underdog boxer, family man and true working-class hero Jim Braddock, shows once again--and in a completely different way than he did in Mind, Gladiator, Master and Commander and The Insider that he may be our closest screen equivalent to Gary Cooper. Crowe again proves that--like Cooper at his best--he's superb at making sheer goodness, principle and decency endlessly complex and multifaceted, and demonstrating that the good guy CAN be the most fascinating figure on the screen. Paul Giamatti follows his award-deserving turn in Sideways with a breathtaking, technically astounding one as Braddock's heart-of-gold manager; rent this out on DVD six months from now, dim the color and show his scenes to friends who are unfamiliar with this movie and they'll swear from his look, manners and inflections that they're watching a 1935 film instead of a 2005 one! I love Renee Zellweger, but she's served less well here; her worried wife may be true to the way it was, but her Betty Boop accent is slightly distracting, and in certain shots she looks and sounds exactly like Jennifer Tilly! Needless to say, the climactic, tortuous and extremely suspenseful (even if you DO know the results) is a spectacular accomplishment for Howard and his crew, but I was more impressed by his depiction of the Depression and its unavoidable truth (reiterated in many ways) that, for those who don't have any of it, money is truly everything and that the lack of it affected every avenue and aspect of life: marriage, family and everything else. That's why this really succeeds, in ways that Seabiscuit only hinted at, in making the case for a sports figure representing the hopes and dreams of a troubled nation. Still, two small but significant reservations nag at me; one not the film's fault, one resting completely on its shoulders. First off, I dread the inevitable op-ed columns from neocons working 26-hour-days to dismantle everything that Franklin D. Roosevelt set up to prevent the Depression from repeating itself exclaiming that Braddock is a hero and example because he declined welfare and provided for his family for himself; obviously, they'll conveniently forget that not everyone has either the opportunity or the ability to get their brains beaten out in the ring! More disturbing to me--and the element that, along with this film's tepid opening week box office, will cost it some Oscars in the same way that the last big boxing bio, The Hurricane, lost some--is the "factual factor". It's one thing to portray Braddock's championship opponent, Max Baer, as the heavy in order to build up a rooting interest in Braddock; it's quite another to, in the interest of hyping the drama, turn Baer into a psychopathic sadist. He may have killed a couple of opponents, but it was accidental, and from what I've read, Baer was so remorseful and guilt-ridden about it that he may have prevented himself from enjoying an even more successful career in the ring that he did. Not only is Howard's revisionism borderline libelous, but it feeds the flames of the director's detractors that slam his work (mostly undeservedly) as facile and simplistic. There's no reason why Cinderella Man couldn't have painted its antagonist with more shades of personality and still keep us all in Braddock's corner; after all, Sylvester Stallone, of all people, gave Apollo Creed shades of uncertainty and vulnerability and, in doing so, made him one of the most fascinating characters in the Rocky sagas! Despite all of Cinderella Man's individual excellences (and it has a lot of them), Howard seems to have forgotten that a film set in the 1930s doesn't HAVE to be in black and white. Expand
  66. CharlieW.
    Jul 30, 2005
    All of you that rated this movie less than an 8, deserves to be thrown into a vat of leeches. This is an incredible movie with a main character that you really care about. A rare thing in today's movies. Will keep you entertained for its entirety. Truly one of the greatest films of '05. P.S. To those of you who rated it a 0 or 1, you obviously wouldn't know a good movie if All of you that rated this movie less than an 8, deserves to be thrown into a vat of leeches. This is an incredible movie with a main character that you really care about. A rare thing in today's movies. Will keep you entertained for its entirety. Truly one of the greatest films of '05. P.S. To those of you who rated it a 0 or 1, you obviously wouldn't know a good movie if it came up and bit you in the ass. Expand
  67. StevenF.
    Jul 7, 2005
    I truly thought this movie was a Ten. I am discouraged with the people trying to purposely lower the score but posting several times with zeros. Come on people, grow up. Let the viewers see what the true public opinion is. This movie was not only not a zero but was a fantastic emotional masterpiece. I suggest the sour pusses out there delve deeply into some soul searching, who knows you I truly thought this movie was a Ten. I am discouraged with the people trying to purposely lower the score but posting several times with zeros. Come on people, grow up. Let the viewers see what the true public opinion is. This movie was not only not a zero but was a fantastic emotional masterpiece. I suggest the sour pusses out there delve deeply into some soul searching, who knows you might surprise yourself and find you actually have one. Expand
  68. Hana
    Sep 16, 2005
    The best movie of the year.
  69. MithunchandraC.
    Sep 2, 2005
    A marvellous film, one of the best films i have ever seen. The music adds to the beauty, the tight screenplay, excellent cinematography, Russel's wonderful acting, & the best part direction, a salute to the maker Ron Howard. All the time you are mesmorized in the movie. The depression era stands before you lively. A brilliant film. A salute to the efforts and intelligence of the A marvellous film, one of the best films i have ever seen. The music adds to the beauty, the tight screenplay, excellent cinematography, Russel's wonderful acting, & the best part direction, a salute to the maker Ron Howard. All the time you are mesmorized in the movie. The depression era stands before you lively. A brilliant film. A salute to the efforts and intelligence of the maker & his team. We expect more Cinderella Men from you sir. Expand
  70. Tonydannie
    Jan 11, 2006
    What Can you say about this movie? Ron Howard and Russel Crowe together again. Fantastic!! This film is nothing short of excellence. Crowe gives us another great performance. and i can even swallow Rene's pressence in the whole thing. Paul Giamati deserves and oscar nod for his performance. And Howard for directing. It is sad that this movie did not find an audience in the big What Can you say about this movie? Ron Howard and Russel Crowe together again. Fantastic!! This film is nothing short of excellence. Crowe gives us another great performance. and i can even swallow Rene's pressence in the whole thing. Paul Giamati deserves and oscar nod for his performance. And Howard for directing. It is sad that this movie did not find an audience in the big screen. This is movie magic GOLD! Expand
  71. miker.
    Jan 3, 2006
    Excellent!
  72. Jake
    Feb 5, 2006
    The best movie of the year. More proof that the oscars don't mean shit. (except for Paul Giamatti's nom., which they only gave to him because they screwed him on sideways). A great story, well-executed and superbly acted. It's a pity that the folks handing out accolades are too obsessed with controversial films to appreciate a truly great, yet down to earth movie.
  73. VanceB.
    Mar 6, 2006
    Totally ignored by the Oscars, this is the best movie of 2005 as far as I'm concerned. Very entertaining, suspenseful, and pro-family, so not eligible for serious Oscar recognition.
  74. PeterJ.
    May 9, 2006
    One of the best movies I have seen so far this year. A very touching family story as well. Howard does a excellent job making you care about what happens at the end... And still manages to keep you on the edge of your seat during the fight scenes.
  75. CherS
    Nov 4, 2005
    10, 10, 10 - no 20! IF you missed this movie, you missed the best one to pass you in years! I found myself wishing I had seen the depression scenes in high school, to ensure a life of savings would better benefit me during retirement. Renee and Russell lived this movie, they did not act it. Bravo!
  76. AmyP
    Dec 20, 2005
    Having been disappointed with many of Ron Howard's films in the past, I was most pleasantly surprised by this film. I thought it was wonderful. I think Mr. Howard has matured - this film and "Beautiful Minds" is an indication of how good he has become as a director. Not only is the direction good, but so is the story, the editing and the acting; especially the finely nuanced Having been disappointed with many of Ron Howard's films in the past, I was most pleasantly surprised by this film. I thought it was wonderful. I think Mr. Howard has matured - this film and "Beautiful Minds" is an indication of how good he has become as a director. Not only is the direction good, but so is the story, the editing and the acting; especially the finely nuanced performances of Russell Crowe and Paul Giamatti, who shines whenever he's on screen. I came into this film, not thinking the subject or the movie would interest me. I came out thinking that it is among one of the best movies I've seen in the last several years. Expand
  77. MichaelB.
    Dec 7, 2005
    I'm stunned: 3 actors that I've never cared for have given 3 of the most powerful performances seen in a movie this year (by this I mean Russell Crowe, Renee Zellweger and Paul Giamatti). Do NOT pass this off as another boring boxing film! Do yourself a favor and go rent this one today.
  78. WallyS.
    Dec 8, 2005
    One of the best movies of the year. The performances are unforgettable, the directing is stunning and the story is superb. It cheered me and it moved me deeply, its tremendously touching in many ways, definetly worth a watch.
  79. JasonH.
    Dec 9, 2005
    Beautifully made film that shows the struggles and prospects of being an American.
  80. MaryR.
    May 29, 2005
    Definitely a WINNER. A well told story of a man's fight to keep his family together while overcoming adversity. Compelling, Oscar-worthy peformances by Crowe, Giametti, and Zellwiger. Ron Howard has done an excellent job recreating the look and feel of the Geat Depression years, the poverty, despair, loss of self-esteem. The boxing scenes are gritty and realistic. I viewed the film Definitely a WINNER. A well told story of a man's fight to keep his family together while overcoming adversity. Compelling, Oscar-worthy peformances by Crowe, Giametti, and Zellwiger. Ron Howard has done an excellent job recreating the look and feel of the Geat Depression years, the poverty, despair, loss of self-esteem. The boxing scenes are gritty and realistic. I viewed the film at a sneak preview in a full theater Sunday. It received well deserved applause. Collapse
  81. susanw.
    May 31, 2005
    Lucky enough to catch a sneak preview this past Saturday, and this film was a classic in the making. Russell Crowe was Braddock, he totally encompasses the character, all the actors and directior as well as screenwriters should win Oscars. What a film that hits you right in the heart and takes you to that era. Don't miss this film.
  82. MichaelR.
    Jun 1, 2005
    Ron Howard and Russell Crowe bring the Braddock story to vivid life in a superbly acted, beautifully shot, highly engaging drama that ranks as one of Howard's best efforts.
  83. LUCKYG
    Jun 12, 2005
    Great film, very moving!
  84. ChrisM.
    Jun 14, 2005
    Boxing scenes are excellently paced; the Depression shown in fine detail; and the performances, especially of Crowe and Giamitti are excellent. It is a simple story, told well.
  85. WAKOJAKO
    Jun 15, 2005
    Russell, Russell, Russell...this movie is all about the great Russell Crowe and his ability to inhabit a character so well that you have a hard time imagining any other actor in the same role. By contrast, you can see a dozen actresses playing the Renee Zellweger role, and possibly better. I give Russell a 10, the movie a 6 and thus an overall 8.
  86. MarcK.
    Jun 19, 2005
    Definitely worth seeing, but nothing special...certainly nowhere near the quality of "A Beautiful Mind." As someone from NJ, they definitely get the "accent" down, particularly Zellweger, who sounds like my Aunt! However, I will join the group of people who wonder why Max Baer is portrayed in such an unflattering light, when there's very little to support that depiction. I understand Definitely worth seeing, but nothing special...certainly nowhere near the quality of "A Beautiful Mind." As someone from NJ, they definitely get the "accent" down, particularly Zellweger, who sounds like my Aunt! However, I will join the group of people who wonder why Max Baer is portrayed in such an unflattering light, when there's very little to support that depiction. I understand why it was done, but since these were "real" people, it makes me question what other parts in the movie aren't real, and were inserted for "dramatic effect" only. Expand
  87. T.M.
    Jun 20, 2005
    I give this film a 6 for the acting of Crowe and Giamatti, the cinematography, the costumes, and the art direction. Otherwise, it was a disappointment. Crowe needs to break off with his buddy Ron Howard and find a director who makes more realistic, nuanced films. This film was a manipulative, cornball cliche-fest from beginning to end. Especially ludicrous was its portrayal of Braddock as I give this film a 6 for the acting of Crowe and Giamatti, the cinematography, the costumes, and the art direction. Otherwise, it was a disappointment. Crowe needs to break off with his buddy Ron Howard and find a director who makes more realistic, nuanced films. This film was a manipulative, cornball cliche-fest from beginning to end. Especially ludicrous was its portrayal of Braddock as a near-saint and Max Baer as a one-dimensional creep. I'm a huge Crowe fan, but ... sigh ... I'll try to forget this one and hope his next project will be more worthy of his talent. Expand
  88. MatthewR.
    Jun 2, 2005
    Outstanding performances by Crowe and Giamatti. Riviting fight scenes.
  89. MarcR.
    Jun 20, 2005
    More enjoyable than Million Dollar Baby!
  90. mikeh.
    Jun 2, 2005
    Best movie I've seen in a long time. Involving from beginning to end. Great job by all.
  91. Sammy
    Jun 3, 2005
    Absolutely fantastic heartwarming story of a family surviving against all odds during the Great Depression. Paul Giamatti is outstanding as the fight manager. Russell & Renee give yet another fine performance. They are believable in every role they play. This is Rocky and Seabiscuit rolled into one movie. It is a must see.
  92. DevinO.
    Jun 30, 2005
    Excellent cinematography, plot, and acting. A breathtaking movie that will pump you with adrenaline for hours.
  93. JamesC.
    Jun 4, 2005
    The schmaltz patrol of Glazer, Howard, and Marshall use their usual "I've got nothing to say so I'll use a cliche" come up with and another stinker. Why say things once when you can say it five or six times. I'm sure he did becuase he expected audience members to doze off during the film. Thank you Mr. Howard. Please value your time and pass on this turkey. I gave it three The schmaltz patrol of Glazer, Howard, and Marshall use their usual "I've got nothing to say so I'll use a cliche" come up with and another stinker. Why say things once when you can say it five or six times. I'm sure he did becuase he expected audience members to doze off during the film. Thank you Mr. Howard. Please value your time and pass on this turkey. I gave it three stars because each ugly stepsister deserves one star for staying home and not having to sit through this dreadful film. Poor Cinderellla. Expand
  94. markc.
    Jun 5, 2005
    What a GREAT movie. I was really taken by the scenes of the depression.
  95. MikeL.
    Jun 5, 2005
    Really Good Movie... Loved every minute of it. No idea why it would get bad reviews. I know you will love it if you see it!
  96. BrandyButterscotch
    Jun 5, 2005
    I hate boxing. I think it's an absolutely ridiculous "sport" and have difficulty respecting anyone who practices it. That said, Crowe's portrayal of Braddock in this movie rendered me feeling nothing but respect for the title character. Crowe's nuanced, multi-dimsional style captures the appeal of this American hero and allows the audience to identify with his motives. I hate boxing. I think it's an absolutely ridiculous "sport" and have difficulty respecting anyone who practices it. That said, Crowe's portrayal of Braddock in this movie rendered me feeling nothing but respect for the title character. Crowe's nuanced, multi-dimsional style captures the appeal of this American hero and allows the audience to identify with his motives. Giamatti also displays his uncanny ability to truly transform into the character he is playing. Howard, once again, makes movie with laden with a heavy emotionality and an a nearly exhausting tragicality. However, in this film, he also includes a series of riveting, realistic action sequences that leave the audience cheering and gasping after every hit. The efforts of these talented artists (and there are many more that I fail to mention) culminate in a movie that is moving, exciting, and certainly worth it's cloud of Oscar buzz. Expand
  97. Dr.Doom
    Spectacular.
  98. EricY.
    Jun 6, 2005
    There was not much to dislike about this film. Crowe was outstanding as was Zellweger. The boxing scenes were well-done and exciting. It's not just a movie about boxing, but life during the era of the great depression as well. I thought that the wardrobe crew also did a fantastic job w/ clothes and hair from the period. I smell some Oscars for this one. A must see.
  99. MartyB.
    Jun 7, 2005
    I can't stand reading all the 10's for this shameless spectacle of manipulation. Zellweger should be banished from the acting profession after this debacle!
  100. LuraD.
    Jun 7, 2005
    Great acting, especially by Russell Crowe and Paul Giamatti, swept me up and kept me involved in the story. This is Ron Howard's best movie.

1. Reviewed by: Ed Halter
    Despite the tale's dusty pedigree, Ron Howard spins a ticket-worthy two-plus hours of movie-movie entertainment.
    Lacking a more specific sense of time and place, Cinderella Man leans heavily on the technically proficient Crowe to slip into Braddock's skin, but he can only do so much with a character who's ready to be mounted in bronze over Central Park.
    It's the classic American tale of the family man triumphant, and Howard makes sure that it hits you right in the heart.