Cinderella Man

8.5

1. Aug 17, 2014
    One of the best movies I have ever seen, and by a long shot the most UNDERRATED movie I have ever seen, and I am not a fan of boxing or sports in general. I'm a sci-fi nerd. Did you hear that? A sci-fi nerd. And yet this movie about BOXING blew my mind. See it!
  2. Nov 28, 2012
    Gripping, rousing, and redolent of a much harder time, "Cinderella Man" is a purely endearing masterpiece of a sports drama.
  3. Oct 8, 2014
    This movie is very moving! It is my all time favorite boxing movie. I relate to the characters so much. I honestly cry a couple times while watching this movie EVERY TiME!!!!! I highly recommend!
  4. Aug 14, 2016
    Despite a plagued screenplay, Cinderella Man is a powerful underdog film that captures the power of fighting for your family. The movie is fueled by the strong performances of Crowe and Giamatti.
  5. Brooke
    Nov 1, 2005
    Fantastice! The best movie out this year! So inspiring and Renee and Russell did an awesome job at playing their characters. I never cry in movies but this time i did! It really touched me.
  6. MP
    Jun 10, 2005
    I was literally sweating when this movie was over. Best boxing film since Raging Bull.
  7. RBENZ
    Jun 9, 2005
    Very enjoyable stand-up-and-cheer kind of film.
  8. TonyB.
    Dec 22, 2005
    Russell Crowe may be a lousy hotel guest but he's one hell of an actor, as he shows again in one of the best films of the year. Well supported by Renee Zellweger, Paul Giametti and an excellent cast, he creates an indelible portrait of an American hero. The film's cinematography, editing and production design should be remembered at Oscar time.
  9. Rev.Rikard
    Oct 8, 2005
    Post 9/11 American needed a movie revealing the strength of the human spirit when pushed against the wall. It is obvious Ron Howard and Russell Crowe know the strengths and weaknesses of the other. Together they have made one of the few movies that makes one want to stand and cheer the leading character. The only issue that made watching this movie difficult is the knowledge of Post 9/11 American needed a movie revealing the strength of the human spirit when pushed against the wall. It is obvious Ron Howard and Russell Crowe know the strengths and weaknesses of the other. Together they have made one of the few movies that makes one want to stand and cheer the leading character. The only issue that made watching this movie difficult is the knowledge of Crowe's "off screne" persona. Though we hypothetically are to leave such info outside the door, nevertheless, watching him reach deep as Braddock to fight for his family's survival only conjurs up his real-life tempermental outbursts. If someone could have exercised these images from my head I would have become enraputred by this film's story. A-list stars must realize that with such an instrusive papparazi, their public behaviors can easily snake their way into their roles, in a distracting manner. God! I reallly wanted to adore this movie! Russell, please learn some anger-management. Expand
  10. KevinP.
    Jun 2, 2005
    This movie was terrific. Crowe was excellent! Academy Award in the summer is rare but here is the winner!
  11. miker.
    Jan 3, 2006
    Excellent!
  12. AmyP
    Dec 20, 2005
    Having been disappointed with many of Ron Howard's films in the past, I was most pleasantly surprised by this film. I thought it was wonderful. I think Mr. Howard has matured - this film and "Beautiful Minds" is an indication of how good he has become as a director. Not only is the direction good, but so is the story, the editing and the acting; especially the finely nuanced Having been disappointed with many of Ron Howard's films in the past, I was most pleasantly surprised by this film. I thought it was wonderful. I think Mr. Howard has matured - this film and "Beautiful Minds" is an indication of how good he has become as a director. Not only is the direction good, but so is the story, the editing and the acting; especially the finely nuanced performances of Russell Crowe and Paul Giamatti, who shines whenever he's on screen. I came into this film, not thinking the subject or the movie would interest me. I came out thinking that it is among one of the best movies I've seen in the last several years. Expand
  13. JasonH.
    Dec 9, 2005
    Beautifully made film that shows the struggles and prospects of being an American.
  14. MarcR.
    Jun 20, 2005
    More enjoyable than Million Dollar Baby!
  15. BrandyButterscotch
    Jun 5, 2005
    I hate boxing. I think it's an absolutely ridiculous "sport" and have difficulty respecting anyone who practices it. That said, Crowe's portrayal of Braddock in this movie rendered me feeling nothing but respect for the title character. Crowe's nuanced, multi-dimsional style captures the appeal of this American hero and allows the audience to identify with his motives. I hate boxing. I think it's an absolutely ridiculous "sport" and have difficulty respecting anyone who practices it. That said, Crowe's portrayal of Braddock in this movie rendered me feeling nothing but respect for the title character. Crowe's nuanced, multi-dimsional style captures the appeal of this American hero and allows the audience to identify with his motives. Giamatti also displays his uncanny ability to truly transform into the character he is playing. Howard, once again, makes movie with laden with a heavy emotionality and an a nearly exhausting tragicality. However, in this film, he also includes a series of riveting, realistic action sequences that leave the audience cheering and gasping after every hit. The efforts of these talented artists (and there are many more that I fail to mention) culminate in a movie that is moving, exciting, and certainly worth it's cloud of Oscar buzz. Expand
  16. EricY.
    Jun 6, 2005
    There was not much to dislike about this film. Crowe was outstanding as was Zellweger. The boxing scenes were well-done and exciting. It's not just a movie about boxing, but life during the era of the great depression as well. I thought that the wardrobe crew also did a fantastic job w/ clothes and hair from the period. I smell some Oscars for this one. A must see.
  17. LuraD.
    Jun 7, 2005
    Great acting, especially by Russell Crowe and Paul Giamatti, swept me up and kept me involved in the story. This is Ron Howard's best movie.
  18. JW
    Aug 23, 2005
    A great movie. It stands as one of the best depression era movies and boxing movies of all time at the same time. That isnt easy.
  19. JeffM.
    Aug 25, 2005
    Certainly one of the most flat-entertaining movies in recent memory. The acting performance was solid all around with Giamatti's captivating to the verge of scene-stealing, but most of us have known bigger-than-life type characters and I thought it worked. It's intriguing that reviews here are so polarized -- mainly very high versus "0" scores and little in between. More than Certainly one of the most flat-entertaining movies in recent memory. The acting performance was solid all around with Giamatti's captivating to the verge of scene-stealing, but most of us have known bigger-than-life type characters and I thought it worked. It's intriguing that reviews here are so polarized -- mainly very high versus "0" scores and little in between. More than just movie-reviewing it's a glimpse at opposing world-views or perspectives on what type of story entertains or deserves glamorization. I join the majority here in enjoying this one. Expand
  20. JacqueD.
    Oct 14, 2005
    I love period films and I am a big fan of Russell Crowe's. Ron Howard is a genius at directing. This was a fantastic film that kept you routing for James Braddock to the very end.
  21. SamS.
    Nov 6, 2005
    Briallant, wonderful, well acted, sooooo realistic, but too long.
  22. SusanJ.
    Oct 19, 2005
    What an incredible movie! Russell Crowe and Renee Zellweger did a fantastic job getting into the roles and portraying the emotions from that time period. You're touched from the very beginning.
    Dec 8, 2005
    There are alot of good messages in this movie. Heart, integrity and honesty to name a few.
  24. SeanF.
    Jun 22, 2005
    Best movie of the first half of the year. Better than Million Dollar Baby (a good film) though Cinderella got blanked because of Million Dollar hangover at the box office.
  25. JamieG.
    Jul 13, 2005
    Great movie. Chill inducing boxing scenes. Laughs from Giamatti. Go see it.
  26. FrancisS.
    Jul 16, 2005
    A great uplifting movie.
  27. Jun 7, 2011
    This Movie was undouptedly one of the top favorite films from the amazing Russell Crowe. It portrays the struggle of living in America during the Great Depression and reveals the triumphant live of boxer James Braddock. Russell Crowe plays the roll of a compassionate husband and father so well that I wish I had him as an uncle. despite being a feirce boxing champion he does not give offThis Movie was undouptedly one of the top favorite films from the amazing Russell Crowe. It portrays the struggle of living in America during the Great Depression and reveals the triumphant live of boxer James Braddock. Russell Crowe plays the roll of a compassionate husband and father so well that I wish I had him as an uncle. despite being a feirce boxing champion he does not give off the impression of being a meat-head, testosterone driven bulldog. His ethical and tranquil character is what makes the film which totally contradicts the stereotypical boxer. Another twist that i loved about the film is when he goes broke and goes the to boxing confederation to beg for enough money to get his kids back. that was a really moving scene. although i loved the movie i thought the actress playing James Braddock's wife could of been a little more attractive, boxers usually have HOT wives and they are always enjoyable to watch, especially when they play the roll of a faithful and caring wife. Expand
  28. Jul 17, 2014
    You can enjoy Cinderella man even if you don`t like Boxing. It gets much deeper than boxing by touching on his life during the great depression.He struggles in life witch makes it more amazing when he wins fights on an empty stomach.
  29. Oct 26, 2013
    With a talented acting ensemble and a historically accurate script, 'Cinderella Man' is an uplifting story that will appeal to viewers of all ages and interests due to its combination of action, drama, romance, and humor.
  30. dean
    Jun 2, 2005
    I would like to make special mention of the fact that the film critics above; the vast majority are men giving a film rating on a boxing/action film that do not usually go down well with female audiences. In my opinion this is bad and one sided which tells me nothing. I am more interested in the female reponse/survey and what their opinion is because they usually have far more weight in I would like to make special mention of the fact that the film critics above; the vast majority are men giving a film rating on a boxing/action film that do not usually go down well with female audiences. In my opinion this is bad and one sided which tells me nothing. I am more interested in the female reponse/survey and what their opinion is because they usually have far more weight in deciding on what movie to see and will drag their boyfriends/ husbands kicking and screaming to a romantic film. Everyone is entiled to their opinion but one film reviewer wrote that Russell Crowe, was calamitously miscast which I thinks is very funny indeed. You will never work in Hollywod even as a hack screen writer or Hollywood mogul. I am more interested to know what the other half (50% of the population) of the female population think when they go to see this film. I remember an earlier film called Gladiator that stared Russell Crowe and the Hollywood film studio was absolutely blown away with the survey results of this this action movie;they did a secret survey and were surpried to discover that women were going back in their droves and watching the film a second and third time.:-)) Normally women are not very impressed with action movies thatgo down like a lead balloon. Methinks action speaks louder than words. Expand

Despite the tale's dusty pedigree, Ron Howard spins a ticket-worthy two-plus hours of movie-movie entertainment.
    Lacking a more specific sense of time and place, Cinderella Man leans heavily on the technically proficient Crowe to slip into Braddock's skin, but he can only do so much with a character who's ready to be mounted in bronze over Central Park.
    It's the classic American tale of the family man triumphant, and Howard makes sure that it hits you right in the heart.