5.8

1. K.C.R.
    Oct 26, 2009
    The movie is quirky and definitely one of a kind. Different from its other vampire predecessors, its humorous and less glamorous. The cast is colorful and intriguing. I really hope they make sequels.
  2. zachp
    Oct 30, 2009
    This movie was funny and had action and had a little love story. a great mix of interesting ideas and was a very unique movie. it captured my attention and i loved it. i wish metacritic didn't screw this score up and cause so many people to not go to it. now there may not be a sequel because it didn't make enough profits. thanks!
  3. DrewK
    Nov 6, 2009
    Yes i have read the books, and they were amazing. All of them in the series is pure gold and genius. After i read all the books over as many times as i could that year, i heard they were making a film. Now do not get me wrong, i thought the movie looked interesting to see. I wanted to see how the director would film this movie. I saw it and i have to say this: The books were better for Yes i have read the books, and they were amazing. All of them in the series is pure gold and genius. After i read all the books over as many times as i could that year, i heard they were making a film. Now do not get me wrong, i thought the movie looked interesting to see. I wanted to see how the director would film this movie. I saw it and i have to say this: The books were better for obvious reasons. But the movie was not half bad. Sure, it got so much wrong in the movie that it did not even have to be based off the movie, it could have been a movie all in its own it was that off. But it was interesting. John C. Reilly did a marvelous job although i would not have chose him for the role. And of course there was room for a sequel. So i will go see the sequel. Everyone should go see this film, even if you do not like the actors, vampires, or anything along those lines. I am not asking you to love it or even like it, i am just asking for you to give it a try. Expand
  4. calebw
    Nov 16, 2009
    For those that say that the sub plots go no place you are wrong they just have not come in to play just yet. there is more to the story then what you see. the movie is not the books but it still uses the same plot. there is more to come...a lot more.
  5. KellyK
    Nov 3, 2009
    I loved it, it was like Moulin rouge meets twilight! Awesome.
  6. Dec 7, 2010
    woops! accidentally forgot to change my score! I give it a 2
  7. Jan 31, 2012
    This film was amazing, as a book fan i thought the book to film adaptation was actually quite a good, I admit it was lacking quite a lot information, but due to this being a film for children certain things should have been left out, and the fact that its based on the first trilogy of the saga yet was still good, the annoying part however was how out of sequence it was, but overall I loveThis film was amazing, as a book fan i thought the book to film adaptation was actually quite a good, I admit it was lacking quite a lot information, but due to this being a film for children certain things should have been left out, and the fact that its based on the first trilogy of the saga yet was still good, the annoying part however was how out of sequence it was, but overall I love this film and wish there was a second one. Expand
  8. Mar 30, 2015
    Coming from the Manga, and book series, Cirque Du Freak follows protagonist Darren Shan and his friend Steve Leonard going to a circus of "freak shows," as the movie soon explains that they are all monsters. Steve becomes fascinated with one of the actors, Mr. Crepsley who in turn is really a vampire. Steve asks to become a vampire but is turned down because of his blood being rooted byComing from the Manga, and book series, Cirque Du Freak follows protagonist Darren Shan and his friend Steve Leonard going to a circus of "freak shows," as the movie soon explains that they are all monsters. Steve becomes fascinated with one of the actors, Mr. Crepsley who in turn is really a vampire. Steve asks to become a vampire but is turned down because of his blood being rooted by evil. Darren however is infatuated with the spider Mr. Crepsley uses. He takes the spider and runs off. Later Steve is bitten by the same spider, Darren is forced to confront Mr. Crepsley, and in turn for an antidote, he must become a vampire. The following events would spiral Darrens life. Expand
  9. JesseS
    Oct 24, 2009
    I can't understand why critics dislike this movie. It was funny, the action scenes were strong and the plot wasn't really that weak.
  10. JulieC
    Nov 1, 2009
    Really enjoyed this movie. The characters were great, very entertaining. The special effects and action were good. It makes you want to see what happens next. I look forward to the sequel.
  11. Zoe
    Nov 4, 2009
    i thought that the actors suited their characters really well. I love any film to do with vampires so this one got a thumbs up. I've read the first book and i thought that it was brilliant, after reading it and then seeing the film, the book is definately better. But, my advice is see the film!! It's good!
  12. AlexK
    Oct 30, 2009
    8* Good film if you haven't read the books, but thoroughly disappointing if you have read them, it''s nothing alike.
  13. MichaelF
    Oct 29, 2009
    It was okay. It didn't put me to sleep like Twilight's story. I got all the action needed. The books are still better. Many changes but Darren and Steve fighting was entertaining.
  14. ElizabethN
    Oct 23, 2009
    Overall very enjoyable movie. The pacing was a LITTLE too fast, and some of the dialogue was just corny, but I liked it more than I thought I would.
  15. JohnS.
    Oct 25, 2009
    This movie was the (guy version) of Twilight. It may not be one of the best movies but it was entertaining with some comedy that helped a lot, but overall I thought it was decent.
  16. RickA
    Oct 29, 2009
    Well I must say first off that I do not read very much or keep track of what books have been published and so maybe it was a good thing for the sake of this movie. I liked it quite a lot. I go to the movies for entertainment and nothing more and I found this movie very enjoyable. I thought the acting was well done and the story line was most certainly beyond good not excellent mind you Well I must say first off that I do not read very much or keep track of what books have been published and so maybe it was a good thing for the sake of this movie. I liked it quite a lot. I go to the movies for entertainment and nothing more and I found this movie very enjoyable. I thought the acting was well done and the story line was most certainly beyond good not excellent mind you but at the very least good. Expand
  17. Aug 25, 2014
    A great movie that definitely makes me want to read the books!

The plot was built very nicely. There was action, humor, mystery and bizarre things in it. The opening credits were pretty awesome, too. Darren's character was surprisingly likeable, with his faults, fears and quirks. His friend Steve was good too, but a bit on the annoying side. Crepsley was a rather odd looking vampire,
    A great movie that definitely makes me want to read the books!

Darren's character was surprisingly likeable, with his faults, fears and quirks. His friend Steve was good too, but a bit on the annoying side. Crepsley was a rather odd looking vampire, I might add, but his character was very good (whereas I was disappointed with Williem Dafoe's performance). Ray Stevenson was nice, as always.

There were all sorts of freaks in this film, some of them good, some of them less so. Many of them were shown quickly, but none of them really took part in actual movie, other than Mr. Tall, Rebecca and Snake Boy. The others just sort of hung back on the background.

I really liked this movie a lot. It had a good, steady story, a nice build-up leaving you wanting more, the little background info given was sufficient to build a feeling of history (although they could have given a bit more information to tell the truth).

Truly enjoyable, funny and worth every minute! I was sad to see it end.
  18. Nov 17, 2012
    An interesting premise, but not nearly as good as the book series. It was okay, but i could have used some work. The plot got boring after a while, not as good characters as the books, but still an okay movie. Read the books.
  19. MikaelA
    Oct 24, 2009
    Although it had some infuriating aspects, such as Rebecca and Darren's family, I still enjoyed it considerably.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    The Vampire's Assistant is too busy making impossible claims about just how spectacular its sequels will be to serve up a self-contained story with a satisfying finale.
    Directed by Paul Weitz (American Pie), the movie suffers from the same tonal schizophrenia of that other recent goth wannabe, "Jennifer's Body": Is it meant to be scary or funny? Oops, it's neither.
  3. Subplots go nowhere, and characters -- many played by well-known actors -- barely get screen time. Willem Dafoe, Salma Hayek, and Jane Krakowski are among those who are there and gone.