6.6

1. JonathanN.
    Mar 25, 2006
    A thoroughly engrossing movie. The pacing is unusual but a welcome break from hollywood predictability. Great characters, fabulous settings, and a plot that holds together nicely and keeps you guessing. Overall a very pleasurable and rewarding viewing experience.
  2. PaulB.
    Oct 1, 2005
    Every element of this film was well thought out and executed. From the selection of locations, casting, the musical score, and especially the writing and directing this film is both thoughtful and entertaining. I will be looking forward to seeing absolutly anything Matt Dillon chooses to direct based on his debut as director. A throughly enjoyable film, and rare in its attention to detail Every element of this film was well thought out and executed. From the selection of locations, casting, the musical score, and especially the writing and directing this film is both thoughtful and entertaining. I will be looking forward to seeing absolutly anything Matt Dillon chooses to direct based on his debut as director. A throughly enjoyable film, and rare in its attention to detail and craft. Expand
  3. GregT.
    Nov 3, 2003
    I like both Matt Dillon and James Caan but this was sleepy. You see Cambodia and Viet Nam as delapitated old whores. Everything needs paint including this plot. The father who is a con artist and a scammer becomes a saint who loves his son. Dillon seems oblivous to it all and rightly so.
  4. ProjectLG
    Jun 13, 2003
    Its not bad.
  5. ChadS.
    Jun 6, 2003
    In one scene, Jimmy(Matt Dillon), not wanting to endanger Sok's life, gives the pedicab driver money and tells him to leave. It reminded me of "The Killing Fields" when Malkovich tells Waterston that the Cambodian should've been given the opportunity to flee. In another scene that evokes the great 1984 Roland Joffe film, Dillon lets Sok carry the story, as we watch him return In one scene, Jimmy(Matt Dillon), not wanting to endanger Sok's life, gives the pedicab driver money and tells him to leave. It reminded me of "The Killing Fields" when Malkovich tells Waterston that the Cambodian should've been given the opportunity to flee. In another scene that evokes the great 1984 Roland Joffe film, Dillon lets Sok carry the story, as we watch him return home to his family. Well, that's about the only pleasure I got out of "City of Ghosts". Dillon is fine as an actor, adequate as a director, but the writing was pretty weak. Caan and Skarsgard's presence almost offsets the lack of narrative momentum. Expand

1. Entertaining when it's really lurid, and Gerard Depardieu is something to behold as the proprietor of a broken-down hotel. He's a spectacular ruin in his own right.
  2. The film has plenty of shortcomings, but it's fun to see Caan back in action.
    Dillon makes an assured directing debut, neither indulging in unnecessary stylistic flourishes nor allowing scenes to run too long, a tendency in actors-turned-director.