8.2

1. Oct 30, 2012
    This multi-level film is based on the novel of the same name, which interweaves 6 stories from various time periods with actors playing multiple characters. This means elaborate makeup, as they cast Tom Hanks, Halle Berry and other cast members in as many as 6 roles. The messages of universal continuity and connectedness are hammered home as the drama and action unfolds. While it'sThis multi-level film is based on the novel of the same name, which interweaves 6 stories from various time periods with actors playing multiple characters. This means elaborate makeup, as they cast Tom Hanks, Halle Berry and other cast members in as many as 6 roles. The messages of universal continuity and connectedness are hammered home as the drama and action unfolds. While it's realized with masterful skill by the Wachowskis (best known for the "Matrix" series) and Tom Tykwer ("Run Lola Run"), the slow-moving stories take up almost 3 hours. Visually, it's often spectacular (despite the sometimes embarrassing makeup), but as entertainment or inspiration it gets downright tedious. Expand
  2. May 19, 2013
    As if Speed Racer wasn’t enough, the Wachowskis were able to convince Warner to fork over hundreds of millions of dollars to embark upon the mission of Cloud Atlas, an impossibly ambitious adaptation of David Mitchell’s novel that spans space, time, and all varieties of viewer patience. Any film that focuses on cyborgs and spacecraft will appeal to a certain sci-fi demographic, but CloudAs if Speed Racer wasn’t enough, the Wachowskis were able to convince Warner to fork over hundreds of millions of dollars to embark upon the mission of Cloud Atlas, an impossibly ambitious adaptation of David Mitchell’s novel that spans space, time, and all varieties of viewer patience. Any film that focuses on cyborgs and spacecraft will appeal to a certain sci-fi demographic, but Cloud Atlas is ironically enough all over the map, just as interested in secret early 20th century gay affairs as it is in robotic ethics. It’s fascinating to watch simply because the Wachowskis (along with co-director Tom Tykwer) swing so wide they can’t possibly pull it off. Enlisting A-listers like Tom Hanks and Halle Berry to play multiple parts some of which involve Cro-Magnon growling and grunting and putting their effects team to work with gusto, Cloud Atlas quickly becomes fascinatingly big for its britches. This is kitchen-sink filmmaking at its most audacious: it can’t be argued that Cloud Atlas goes out of its way to do everything it can to connect with those tolerant enough to stomach it. There are cavemen and Farrah Fawcett-Majors haircuts, futuristic automatons with delusions of grandeur, gruff musicians and the suicidal boys who love them, airplane explosions, ultra-vivid car crashes again, Cloud Atlas has a lot of dramatic real estate to offer. Yet while its vastly ambitious intentions of representing the implicit entropy of the universe are uniquely inventive, the whole thing feels like an expensive, convoluted mess. But sometimes grandiose missteps like Cloud Atlas end up being ingenious time wasters. On Blu-ray, experiencing the Wachowski/Tykwer vision frequently prompts viewers to ask themselves, ‘Who green-lit this?’ Any movie with Tom Hanks’ name above the title is bound to sell a ticket or two, but fantasizing about Warner brass seeing the final print of this kaleidoscopic rubbish is too delicious to resist. Let’s leave it at this: Cloud Atlas is a mess, but few movies from 2012 were this jaw-droppingly stupefying. Expand
  3. Jan 27, 2013
    Cloud Atlas is a visionary wonder. It is a movie that gives you so much and even at a 3 hour length, the six story lines each have their brilliance. A movie that connects in so many ways.
  4. Jul 20, 2013
    It might take a capable mind to fully understand its endless swath of challenging structural nuances, but, with that trained mindset, one should clearly be able to ascertain that "Cloud Atlas" with its great performances, cinematography, script, and editing is truly quite a sight to behold.
  5. Nov 7, 2012
    Never while watching a film, have I been so utterly perplexed. Even as the credits began to roll, my jaw was dropped, my eyes glued to the screen. What had I just witnessed? At that point, I wasn
  6. Jun 19, 2013
    To be honest I don't think the movie came together well, but I did enjoy some of the individual stories and the film is well directed. I think the film is worth watching at least once.
  7. Jul 21, 2013
    One of the most incoherent horrid movies ever. A complete disaster from start to finish. Story was unbearable, emotion was nonexistent, and everything in between make this movie terrible. Some might say it is a one of a kind movie; I say it is pure stupidly.
  8. Jul 15, 2013
    Cloud Atlas is an unbelievably ambitious film that makes the head reel when thinking about structure and logistics. The movie requires patience as it's opening third is genuinely baffling. But Cloud Atlas finishes strong, with a good emotional kick and a life-affirming message.
  9. Dec 2, 2012
    If the source novel from David Mitchell is claimed to be "the most impossible one to be adapted to a feature film", the true grit behind the director trio alone merits some accolade. But the critical box-office feedback firmly suggests they will never retrieve the gargantuan budget (over 100,000,000$ for production and nothing else), while being under the barrage of divisive reviews fromIf the source novel from David Mitchell is claimed to be "the most impossible one to be adapted to a feature film", the true grit behind the director trio alone merits some accolade. But the critical box-office feedback firmly suggests they will never retrieve the gargantuan budget (over 100,000,000$ for production and nothing else), while being under the barrage of divisive reviews from the critics, an ominous pre-watch hunch could never be dissolved until I finally watched it on the super-big screen (not as large as an IMAX) in the cinema, and I must confess it comes out far "stunning" than I had expected.

Graphically bountiful visual stunts of 6 inter-linked stories which stretch across different eras (from primitive tribe to a clone-ed future world) certainly has paid off its lengthy running time, 172 minutes passed by fleetingly with more anticipation was still hanging there when the ending credits inconveniently started to roll. CLOUD ATLAS is a cleverly designed omnibus, using same actors playing multiple roles in different sub-stories, consistently establishes a sense of reincarnation and an almost sacred disposition to influence a more elusive and conscience-contingent point-of-view into its viewer
  10. Aug 24, 2014
    This is one of those movies that had such a trailer I wasn't sure I wanted to see the actual film or not. Luckily, the actual movie itself proved to be more than about that one song - although "Cloud Atlas" rather interestingly carries through most of the stories in the movie.

And, the stories: in the beginning they seem jumbled and mismatched, jumping from one era to the next, with familiar faces all around, portrayed by the same actors.

That was both the intriguing part and the pitfall: some of the portrayals were amazing and I couldn't immediately recognize a well-known face we had already seen filling more than one pair of on-screen shoes. Unfortunately, the attempts to make a Western actor look like an Asian - and the opposite - managed to pull off a kind of 'horribly failed plastic surgery'-vibe. That was kind of distracting.

All in all, once the stories got going and I started remember who was who and what they were going on about, the film gained momentum. They didn't drag things out for too long, and balanced storylines out quite nicely, considering how many plots they had to cover.

I think I preferred the futuristic worlds to the older/modern ones. The visual effects looked natural, and there were several memorable characters.

However, overall, this probably wasn't a film for me, and its complexity became a bit too artistic to move forth fluently. Also, as fun as it was to spot same faces in different roles, I'not sure whether simply casting more people would have worked just as well, if not better (especially in those few disastrous make-up tumbles).
  11. Apr 27, 2013
    Ambitious, featuring six stories all set in various time periods. Often times with a film like this, there is always that one storyline that is just not as good, or in the case of Cloud Atlas, 2 or 3 storylines that fail to compare to the others. That's really the main problem I had with this film, the performances, music, and visuals are all top notch, but not all the stories were thatAmbitious, featuring six stories all set in various time periods. Often times with a film like this, there is always that one storyline that is just not as good, or in the case of Cloud Atlas, 2 or 3 storylines that fail to compare to the others. That's really the main problem I had with this film, the performances, music, and visuals are all top notch, but not all the stories were that engaging, diluting the effectiveness of the major themes. I still really enjoyed the film. My favorite parts were set in Korea and the 1970s. Expand
  12. Apr 23, 2013
    A philosophical journey discussing how and why we live our lives and the ultimate repercussions of our actions on this planet. Sounds dull, you'd be dead wrong. Cloud Atlas tells many stories. In fact it tells 6 stories, each of them in different time periods, past, present and future. It follows revolutionaries in futuristic Neo Seoul, Composers in pre world war 2 Edinburgh and a group ofA philosophical journey discussing how and why we live our lives and the ultimate repercussions of our actions on this planet. Sounds dull, you'd be dead wrong. Cloud Atlas tells many stories. In fact it tells 6 stories, each of them in different time periods, past, present and future. It follows revolutionaries in futuristic Neo Seoul, Composers in pre world war 2 Edinburgh and a group of elderly inhabitants of a dictatorial nursing home planning a jail break of sorts. Cloud Atlas isn't just adventurous and bold in its risk taking but its also informative. Cloud Atlas is an education in not just philosophy but film making and all the reasons it was created as a medium. It's the ultimate canvas where you can tell any story, no matter how ridiculous or far fetched. When I say Cloud Atlas is ridiculous it is not to ridicule it, in fact it is a compliment because it tells stories that shouldn't link and brings them together into a grand narrative that is at times naive and idealistic but never dull and always thrilling. Unlike the book the film is based on, the film cross cuts across its many tales instead of telling them in half chunks. It connects its stories through the many themes and ideas that makes the film so inspiring from love to adventure. The thing that binds these stories and makes this story jumping possible is the use of the actors in multiple stories. The actors play multiple roles through time and part of the superficial charm of the picture is spotting Tom Hanks or Hugh Grant in their many disguises or failing to spot Halle Berry as a Korean man. It's a film that is equal part fever dream and epic poem. The film unlike the book isn't so much about one life, one soul throughout the ages (although a strange birthmark seems to represent the idea of one soul throughout eternity) but about humanity, our collective consciousness through the ages instead. This film is a look into the idea of the butterfly effect, the idea that chaos theory can also be seen the other way, that one action can bring about good instead of evil for years to come. for example a self absorbed, opinionated composer (a terrific Ben Whishaw) creates a piece of music used for years to come thanks to the actions of not just him but people long into the future. However it is a film that must build to its epic conclusion and for that reason the first hour is quite dense (dense as in full, this film is never stupid) and takes some concentration. Once you understand the characters, the ideas and stories you are being presented its easy to get lost in this idealistic look at the good we can accomplish as a race and the absolute evil we can cause by just not trying or choosing yourself instead of others. Overall its a near perfect picture because of its attention to detail and its desire to show something we rarely see at the movies, a movie that celebrates stories and the hold they can have on us. Expand
  13. Mar 8, 2014
    This is one of those films that I figure that it would be really good, but in the end, it's not a big disappointment, but it's not what you expected. I mean, the scope of the film is big with some really good acting, but the character development behind the characters are pretty weak. It's also too long.
  14. Nov 13, 2014
    "Cloud Atlas" 10 Scale Rating: 9.0 (Amazing) ...

The Good: An absolutely epic film with several fantastic stories all rolled into one. If you can make it through the lengthy run time, you'll be rewarded. Extremely ambitious and risky attempt, which has garnered a polarized response, but an attempt worthy of respect. Severely underrated. The Bad: You feel every minute of the 2:52 run
    "Cloud Atlas" 10 Scale Rating: 9.0 (Amazing) ...

The Bad: You feel every minute of the 2:52 run time, especially early on. I was not impressed initially as the early stages of the film are difficult to get through. Hit and miss makeup takes away from the film as well. Some of the makeup jobs are extremely silly to look at and distracting.
  15. Oct 26, 2012
    It's obviusly that some critics don't understand this amazing masterpiece. Cloud Atlas is one of the best movies of this year. The trama is complex but is excellent the development. The performances of Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Hugo Weaving, Jim Strugess, Hugh Grant and the rest of the cast are awesome. And the screenplay, uff, is excellent. Cloud Atlas is one of the most wonderful moviesIt's obviusly that some critics don't understand this amazing masterpiece. Cloud Atlas is one of the best movies of this year. The trama is complex but is excellent the development. The performances of Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Hugo Weaving, Jim Strugess, Hugh Grant and the rest of the cast are awesome. And the screenplay, uff, is excellent. Cloud Atlas is one of the most wonderful movies of this year. Expand
  16. Jan 4, 2013
    Ambitious, symbolic, beautiful and utterly breathtaking; with impressive visuals, a great story arch and brilliant acting and directing, Cloud Atlas is a successful attempt to turn an "un-filmable" novel into a well-adaptated masterpiece.
  17. Nov 16, 2013
    If your looking for a relaxing movie that will help you fall asleep, you have found the movie you are looking for.This movie has a few thing that kept my interest, but I feel like they could have done it in a much better style.I had to fast forward through the last hour.
  18. Jul 28, 2014
    Cloud Atlas is a remarkable film, right from its breathtaking opening sequence, and a piece of wonderful cinema. It does fail, though, when it comes to connection to its audience. While the plot is generally comprehensible and it's not difficult to understand connections between characters and topics discussed, it promises something too big to deliver. I felt like the film collapsed underCloud Atlas is a remarkable film, right from its breathtaking opening sequence, and a piece of wonderful cinema. It does fail, though, when it comes to connection to its audience. While the plot is generally comprehensible and it's not difficult to understand connections between characters and topics discussed, it promises something too big to deliver. I felt like the film collapsed under its weight, like even its makers could not really understand what they were trying to express and they were simply in awe of its overwhelming potential. It is, however, a true spectacle, with a touch of originality and the dark tone its wonderful sextet creates, that can prove more worthy of future acclaim than many of its contemporary critical successes. Expand
  19. Dec 31, 2013
    Filme cansativo, arrastado o roteiro não la grande coisa mais tem uma proposta interessante, porém graças o seu ritmo lento e grande duração faz desse filme uma experiência miserável.
  20. Oct 27, 2012
    What an amazing experience watching Cloud Atlas was. The film on a visual level is astounding on so many levels. And what levels this film had. Too many critics have been saying how this film is about how we are all connected but they are mistaken. On a dramatic level I was thrilled and on a intelectual level I was engaged for three hours. When I guaranteed the Dark Knight Rises would beWhat an amazing experience watching Cloud Atlas was. The film on a visual level is astounding on so many levels. And what levels this film had. Too many critics have been saying how this film is about how we are all connected but they are mistaken. On a dramatic level I was thrilled and on a intelectual level I was engaged for three hours. When I guaranteed the Dark Knight Rises would be the best film of the year I did not know there would be as great as a film as Cloud Atlas. Expand
  21. Nov 1, 2012
    I love the Wachowski Bros., but they should've made another movie after a 4-year absence since 2009's critical and commercial disappointment which is "Ninja Assassin." I saw the movie this weekend and it was supposed to be 3 hours, but 2 and a half hours? Well, I got a mixed feeling about Cloud Atlas. Some reviews were good, others having difficulty on why the action almost takes it to newI love the Wachowski Bros., but they should've made another movie after a 4-year absence since 2009's critical and commercial disappointment which is "Ninja Assassin." I saw the movie this weekend and it was supposed to be 3 hours, but 2 and a half hours? Well, I got a mixed feeling about Cloud Atlas. Some reviews were good, others having difficulty on why the action almost takes it to new heights. I knew it was a disappointment for both Tom Hanks and Halle Berry since it can't match any of the Matrix success. But I'll just have to wait for a rental. Expand
  22. Nov 5, 2012
    The movie is very complex, it consists of six different stories occurring in different time periods, but all of them are somehow connected to each other. The stories keep you thrilled during all three hours of this movie. There are some deep ideas here, though I'm sure that a lot of people will find this movie boring because of lack of action scenes. Summing up, I'd say that this isThe movie is very complex, it consists of six different stories occurring in different time periods, but all of them are somehow connected to each other. The stories keep you thrilled during all three hours of this movie. There are some deep ideas here, though I'm sure that a lot of people will find this movie boring because of lack of action scenes. Summing up, I'd say that this is probably The Best Movie in 2012. Expand
  23. Jan 1, 2013
    Sprawling, and incredibly cast, Cloud Atlas is a film that surely has divided everyone who has seen it. Is it another self indulgent effort from the Watchowski Siblings, or a Masterpiece? Based on what is considered as an unfilmable novel, Cloud Atlas starts of as a project of such high risk, that the Watchowskis have difficulties finding the right investors. Why not? It is an Art FilmSprawling, and incredibly cast, Cloud Atlas is a film that surely has divided everyone who has seen it. Is it another self indulgent effort from the Watchowski Siblings, or a Masterpiece? Based on what is considered as an unfilmable novel, Cloud Atlas starts of as a project of such high risk, that the Watchowskis have difficulties finding the right investors. Why not? It is an Art Film with a Blockbuster budget. At its heart though, it is one of the more contemplative film that they have made since the Matrix, using every trick in the book a film that pushes the envelope so far, that it flops miserably. Only time will tell whether it joins the pantheon of 'visionary', 'much beyond its time' film making such as 'Blade Runner'. The question is will anyone give the Watchowskis', one of the most daring visionary film makers of their generation, another set of budgets after two flops in succession? Expand
  24. BKM
    Jun 18, 2013
    Cloud Atlas is a daring film that juggles multiple story lines strewn across different time periods while wrestling with the notion that all mankind is bound to one another across space and time. It's never dull, but it never quite enthralls either. The stories never really feel connected to each other which is the film's ultimate downfall.
  25. Dec 15, 2013
    After deciding to watch this film with little to no expectations I can truly say that I was blown away. Every story in the film was extremely interesting and the idea of interlocking lives was great. The cinematography was stellar and the soundtrack went extremely well with how beautiful the imagery on screen was. The film is ambiguous but in a way that allows for you to really think aboutAfter deciding to watch this film with little to no expectations I can truly say that I was blown away. Every story in the film was extremely interesting and the idea of interlocking lives was great. The cinematography was stellar and the soundtrack went extremely well with how beautiful the imagery on screen was. The film is ambiguous but in a way that allows for you to really think about what you watched and not in an infuriating way. I will bet that years from now critics will reevaluate Cloud Atlas and it will become a classic just like other films, such as Blade Runner, that at the time were snubbed by film critics but revered now. Expand
  26. Dec 24, 2012
    A three-hour investment to watch a film that has generated ridiculously bad reviews from most of the major critics is such a risky decision especially when the film has also failed at the box-office meaning that not even the audiences have liked the film. BUT! Cloud Atlas is much more than that. This is not a child's play to incorporate six different storylines in a single film especiallyA three-hour investment to watch a film that has generated ridiculously bad reviews from most of the major critics is such a risky decision especially when the film has also failed at the box-office meaning that not even the audiences have liked the film. BUT! Cloud Atlas is much more than that. This is not a child's play to incorporate six different storylines in a single film especially when they all are so complex and their interrelation seems nearly impossible at times. Hats off to the Wachowski Brothers and Tom Tykwer for their tremendous effort by making a film whose novel is already complicated but the way they have executed the entire film is marvelous. I don't have words to describe how impressed I am with their work on this film, it is utterly excellent. Honestly, at first, the film seemed like a disappointment to me, I was trying so hard to figure out what does all of it mean which was preventing me from the main purpose i.e. enjoying the film. But gradually, throughout these three hours, I started understanding what is going on and it finally started making a LITTLE sense. Of course, everyone has their own interpretations about the film but the real and common one is that "everything is connected, your past may affect your present as well as your future." This can be thought of like that every individual's actions in a particular storyline affects the actions of other individuals in the different storylines. It can be seen like a phase in a human life, in which a person is bad at first, then he realizes that he is doing wrong and then in the end, he finally stands up for what is right. But this explanation doesn't fit all the individuals' stories like Hugo Weaving, he is evil in all of the storylines and maybe it's because his soul never realizes that it is doing wrong. Neither does it fit Tom Hanks' stories because he is a bad, greedy guy in the first storyline and then he becomes a good person and after that he becomes a bad person again and then finally, in the last stoyline, he becomes a good person, which doesn't make any sense. The more you try to figure out the plot of the film and interpret it in different ways, the more you start finding different explanations of how it could be possible. The film's brilliant (and far more complicated than I first thought) storyline is supported by phenomenal performances by the entire cast members. Every single one of them has played his/her roles wonderfully and that is also supported by the factor of beautiful make-up and styling to completely adapt them in their respective roles in different storylines. It completely blows you away, you can't even recognize that there are the same individuals in all of the storylines. Visual effects are great and so is the cinematography. Screenplay is really clever, because I have been reading that it varies from the novel and inverts the ending of all the storylines and it still has been incorporated properly and doesn't seem wrong. I might not read the novel because if I do, I'd be confused again and I don't want that. This is really not an all-audiences film, most of the people are not liking it because of the complications in the storylines and the confusing narrative but what it actually demands is your complete concentration because without it, you cannot understand what the real message and the purpose of this film really is, what exactly are the Wachowski Brothers trying to deliver to us, why did they choose to make this movie. All of the questions are answered if you watch the movie with complete attention and remember everything from the beginning until the end, it is really important. Cloud Atlas is easily one of the most complicated and daring films I have ever watched in my life. From the rough idea, you can guess that it would fail miserably but the Wachowski Brothers still made it for us because it is necessary to remind everyone what the real power of filmmaking is! Expand
  27. Dec 15, 2013
    Easily one of the top 10 films of 2012! I was worried after all the mixed reviews. In fact I waited until 2013 to see it. I totally regret it. I would have loved giving my money to see this in theaters. The film is like 2 hours and a half long and I never got bored, in fact, without even noticing it, I was more and more into it as the film progressed. By the last hour I was absolutelyEasily one of the top 10 films of 2012! I was worried after all the mixed reviews. In fact I waited until 2013 to see it. I totally regret it. I would have loved giving my money to see this in theaters. The film is like 2 hours and a half long and I never got bored, in fact, without even noticing it, I was more and more into it as the film progressed. By the last hour I was absolutely surprised at how much I was loving the experience. Only bad thing I can say is some of the make-up doesn´t look good, but even that was probably done on purpose. Each one of the stories adds something different and are totally enjoyable. I felt like the futuristic ones could have been a film on its own, with great and innovative special effects. The film is truly memorable, I plan on watching it several times in the future. My favorite story was the boy who was a musical genius, that was the one with more heart and with the best acting in my opinion. But really, all the actors are on point, and it´s absolutely incredible to think how they even managed to put all this together and make it work. Outstanding body of work, emotive, epic, funny, sad and everything in between. What an experience. One of those very few cases when I strongly disagree with the critics rating. But time puts things in its place, and I´ve already seen several of them taking back their negative opinions. Memorable. Expand
  28. Feb 6, 2013
    What you might feel after watching thiz movie? You may be confused, you may be disappointed or if you watch closely enough, you may find a hidden philosophy inside. Thiz movie has six stories with six different time periods, from little island in South Pacific to the post-apocalyptic Hawaiian Islands, from the primitive year 1849 to far in the future 2321. The stories come from anyWhat you might feel after watching thiz movie? You may be confused, you may be disappointed or if you watch closely enough, you may find a hidden philosophy inside. Thiz movie has six stories with six different time periods, from little island in South Pacific to the post-apocalyptic Hawaiian Islands, from the primitive year 1849 to far in the future 2321. The stories come from any direction and finally meet at one point. The story is meant to be connected to one another, however, don’t be surprised if you eventually find that the connection is very minor. In point of fact, you may miss the connection if you’re not careful. “Cloud Atlas” is the latest project from Tom Tykwer and The Wachowskis, starring Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Hugo Weaving, Jim Sturgess, Jim Broadbent, Ben Winshaw, James D’Arcy, Susan Sarandon, Hugh Grant, Doona Bae and Xun Zhou. All Actors have more than one role during different time periods. As a matter of fact, some Actors are so buried underneath their makeup that we could hardly recognize them. To make things even worse, some of them are seemingly drawn into comical performances such as Hugo Weaving, James D’Arcy, Susan Sarandon and Hugh Grant. The better performances come from Tom Hanks, Halle Berry and Ben Winshaw. And the scene stealer is definitely Doona Bae who depicts a genetically-engineered clone named Sonmi-451. Doona Bae delivers a complex and inspiring character. On the directorial side, Tom Tykwer carries out 1936’s, 1973’s and 2012’s segment. On the other side, Andi and Lana (used to be Larry) Wachowski handle 1849’s, 2144’s and 2321’s segment. Personally, I prefer Wachowskis’ direction. They can keep up the pace of their stories and prevent it from being boring. It reminds us of how good The Wachowskis really are when depicting futuristic tales, just like what they did in “The Matrix” (1999). On the other hand, even though I love the previous Tom Tykwer’s works such as “Run Lola Run” (1998), but thiz time, he seems to have put anything one-dimensional. In other words, Tom Tykwer’s direction is boring. If it’s not because of the intriguing futuristic tale of Sonmi-451 which is directed by The Wachowskis, thiz movie will undoubtedly become an unnecessary B-Class movie. In the end, thiz is something bigger than you think. It’s all about a belief in the universality of mankind. Basically, there is no difference between countries, races and even genders, where white can become black, black can become white and white can become Asian. We are all one, we are all the same, learning and strive for a better condition. Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com Expand
  29. Jan 12, 2013
    Possibly the greatest but certainly the most ambitious film of the year. Watching it for the first time I knew i was in for a movie that would require and invite repeated viewings. Absolutely breathtaking. Every is storyline is spectacular and gets enough screen-time in the near-3-hour timespan. The only complaint, albeit a very minor one, is that the casting decisions are sometimes aPossibly the greatest but certainly the most ambitious film of the year. Watching it for the first time I knew i was in for a movie that would require and invite repeated viewings. Absolutely breathtaking. Every is storyline is spectacular and gets enough screen-time in the near-3-hour timespan. The only complaint, albeit a very minor one, is that the casting decisions are sometimes a little distracting. Expand
  30. Nov 6, 2012
    It has been interesting to see the great divide among critics on this film. I have to say I can understand anyone who either hates or loves this film. This is because I fall in the middle in so many areas. This film is divided into 6 distinct parts with most of the actors playing a different character in each section. This is both the problem and everything that is right with this movie.It has been interesting to see the great divide among critics on this film. I have to say I can understand anyone who either hates or loves this film. This is because I fall in the middle in so many areas. This film is divided into 6 distinct parts with most of the actors playing a different character in each section. This is both the problem and everything that is right with this movie. There are 4 sections of this film where the story is extremely intriguing, the acting is spot on and there is a nice emotional hook at the climax of the story arc. There is one time period that I wish would have been left out of the movie all together. I believe it is meant to be the comedy relief of the film. Unfortunately it doesn't get any laughs, has 3 or 4 characters that are reprehensible, and doesn't seem to be needed to tie the other stories together. There is also one story line that sums up the way I feel about the movie quite nicely. The plot in it is not particular interesting, but it does have one of the better characters in the movie in it, and is very necessary to tie together some of the other time periods. Much has been made about the makeup in this movie and again I see what a lot of people have found disturbing about some of these makeup jobs, there are 4 that are really poorly done and can take you out of the movie. While I was watching this film I had mixed emotions as well. For probably the first hour I was wondering if I would ever be interested in any of these characters and at times was quite bored. Then the movie picks up steam and I became quite intrigued by what was happening. By the third act I was hooked by the 3 or 4 of the story lines, and the payoff in each was very good. I do have to add my favorite parts of this film come in the direction. The way that the time periods are cut together and the transition devices they use are phenomenal. The score for this film is also fantastic. The way this film is put together and the quality of a couple of the time periods will have me revisiting this film in the future. Expand
  31. Dec 16, 2012
    The movie was nothing special. It was 40 minutes longer than it supposed to be. The stories (and the story as a whole) was cliché ridden and very predictable. The "meaning" or "message" of the movie could be told in 20 minutes. I did not like how the directors cast their actors to different sexes, races. I think it was very distracting at some points. I did not like that someThe movie was nothing special. It was 40 minutes longer than it supposed to be. The stories (and the story as a whole) was cliché ridden and very predictable. The "meaning" or "message" of the movie could be told in 20 minutes. I did not like how the directors cast their actors to different sexes, races. I think it was very distracting at some points. I did not like that some stories were too "funny" (retirement home storyline) and some stories were very dark in tone (Neo-Seoul storyline). I didn't feel the stories were coherent enough. Maybe with less directors it could have been a better movie. Overall average. Expand
  32. Jan 12, 2013
    If this film does one things it's show off what state-of-the-art make-up artistry can do: a select all-star cast plays a ton of different characters across six different timelines which are all interwoven and interconnected. The plot (and film) is meant to be epic -it does look it- but it doesn't feel like that to me. Somehow dispite all the exellent VFX, make-up, acting and poetry-likeIf this film does one things it's show off what state-of-the-art make-up artistry can do: a select all-star cast plays a ton of different characters across six different timelines which are all interwoven and interconnected. The plot (and film) is meant to be epic -it does look it- but it doesn't feel like that to me. Somehow dispite all the exellent VFX, make-up, acting and poetry-like dialogue it fails to connect emotionally. It is however commendable that they at least try to engage the audience with a more complex story than say robots and screaming teenagers, but the utter failure of this movie at the boxoffice doesn't bode well for the more intellectual type of scifi entertainment -even if it doesn't fire on all cylinders like this one. Even if you might end up hating it I would recommend spending the 3 hours coz it might be a long time before we see something similar again :/ Expand
  33. Nov 1, 2013
    A genre-breaking classic!!!! One of the best movies I have ever seen!!! EPIC!! Tom Hanks is at his top of his career, and I am sure that in the next 3 years he will have won an Oscar!!! Watch this movie!!
  34. Jun 9, 2013
    A confusing morass of six story lines and a seventh that serves as epilogue and prologue--this film gives new meaning to the question, “What just happened?” A cast of eloquent and well-known actors plays multiple roles where in some cases they are virtually unrecognizable. The most outrageous include Hugh Grant as a tribal chieftain who is a confirmed cannibal, and Tom Hanks as a murderousA confusing morass of six story lines and a seventh that serves as epilogue and prologue--this film gives new meaning to the question, “What just happened?” A cast of eloquent and well-known actors plays multiple roles where in some cases they are virtually unrecognizable. The most outrageous include Hugh Grant as a tribal chieftain who is a confirmed cannibal, and Tom Hanks as a murderous physician from 1849 as well as a frustrated and equally murderous 2012 book author who kills his harshest critic at a party by throwing the arrogant and presumptuous cad over the balcony. Hanks is also a father figure in a primitive clan in 2346 Hawaii, although there he is highly recognizable, even though he is speaking a barely comprehensible pigeon English that can only be described as Hillbilly Jive. (To say “that's the truth” is “that's the true-true.”) Strangely enough, Hanks lapses into standard English in a few instances where he has to explain an important plot point. Subtitles would have been beneficial.

The film changes geographical locations and time periods, as it ricochets between 1) 1849 South Pacific; 2) 1936 Scotland; 3) 1973 San Francisco; 4) 2012 Great Britain where actor Jim Broadbent is kept prisoner in a nursing home; 5) 2144 Neo Seoul (somewhere around old Seoul); 6) 2346 Hawaii; and 7) the frame story provided by the prologue and epilogue taking place about 30-40 years after 2346 Hawaii on a planet colonized by humans.

Presumably the movie is about people finding their true inner selves, setting off on the path of that which is good, true and beautiful, and establishing a humanistic, worldwide faith where a divinity does not figure into it, except in the primitive society in 2346 Hawaii, where they falsely worship the little Korean girl from 2144 Neo Seoul, a clone who fought bravely against corporate consumer predators, and who was part of a workforce consisting of an army of clones, robotlike employees who worked 19-hour days for a certain amount of time, and were then murdered, recycled and fed back to the other clones as a protein drink, the only nourishment they were allowed. The resistance army for which the clone was a kind of Joan of Arc was called The Union. The clone, played by Korean actress Doona Bae, is the connective thread, while Halle Berry and Tom Hanks also provide secondary connective threads, to the extent that anything really connects in this movie.

The philosophy of the film seems to be about incarnation and reincarnation, and how we are all a part of something much larger than ourselves, somehow reaching out to ancestors and descendents, on some subliminal level of consciousness that connects everyone and everything to everything else, and that has to do with the stars and outer space, with no mention of God, apparently because there are too many atheists who go to movie theaters.

A noble effort that somehow went awry with too much sophomoric philosophy and too much amateurish make-up.
  35. Mar 9, 2013
    "Cloud Atlas" was ambitious and could've been done right, but the Wachowskis just weren't up to it, rare miss. First, they didn't have to use the same six subplots in the source material, they could've substituted far more interesting stories instead. Second, the subplot jump-editing style is fine for two, maybe three stories but not six, it's too confusing to follow. Third, it seems"Cloud Atlas" was ambitious and could've been done right, but the Wachowskis just weren't up to it, rare miss. First, they didn't have to use the same six subplots in the source material, they could've substituted far more interesting stories instead. Second, the subplot jump-editing style is fine for two, maybe three stories but not six, it's too confusing to follow. Third, it seems juvenile with its pop-psych platitudes, more suitable for tweens than for film-experienced adults. Finally, it's a series of gag love stories, and the public should've been warned far more clearly. Yes, chix love this stuff but sci-fi guys hoping for mind-twisting action, bitter disappointment. Expand
  36. Jul 17, 2014
    A stellar ensemble cast, undeniably fantastic script, and stunning visuals make this cinematic masterpiece one of the greatest indie films of all time.
  37. Mar 3, 2014
    Over rated this be . Can a movie have more pretension and blatant killing of subplots that are sub par . Reincarnation is a gradually change of betterment that you , other people or the world effect you . Actors gave some great persona changes and performances but the story was jacked and camera work was terrible . Also boring and full of hot air .
  38. Nov 17, 2012
    Cloud Atlas is a cornily enthralling sci-fi. It seems to be like cramming the entire plot into 1. It's more like a pulpy middle brow trip. Its strange but cool
  39. Jan 25, 2014
    Incoherent, dull, lacks a narrative and characterization. Nothing spectacular visually, baffling - no, embarrassing decision to use prosthetics to make western actors look Asian. A few interesting ideas, but ultimately; six supposedly linked sub-par stories. In one respect the film was faithful to the book: terribly boring and overblown.
  40. Jan 5, 2013
    This movie was so amazing . I love the screenplay and visual effects. They did a good job with adapting the story into a great movie. The directing for the movie is superb. The story is a grat blend of genres. The movie might be a little to arty for but for the ones that enjoy movie that tell the story from the style of directing and visual effects , you will love the movie. I live all theThis movie was so amazing . I love the screenplay and visual effects. They did a good job with adapting the story into a great movie. The directing for the movie is superb. The story is a grat blend of genres. The movie might be a little to arty for but for the ones that enjoy movie that tell the story from the style of directing and visual effects , you will love the movie. I live all the characters to the movie, this is my pick for movie of 2012. It is a very risky movie to shoot and it should have more buzz than it has now. The score to the movie was .outstanding . Expand
  41. Aug 17, 2013
    Don´1 know, what this movie was all about. Boring and potracted.
  42. May 18, 2013
    Ambitious but ultimately flawed. Long stretches of near endings, six separate story lines to keep track of, and all interconnected to the freedom of human blah blah blah....The two hour mark I surrendered.
  43. Sep 2, 2014
    Unusual, amazing and mysterious. The plot is so twisted it grabs you from the very beginning till the end. But to be honest way too twisted. I had to review the movie to understand it. I don't know is it good or bad. Nevermind me, movie is awesome and worth watching.
  44. Dec 17, 2012
    The Wachowski Siblings and Tom Tykwer join forces, and they deliver their best work since The Matrix and Run Lola Run, respectively. Cloud Atlas was quite an undertaking that tackles 6 different storylines from 6 different timelines; some of which hosts different genres - ranging from dark comedy to broad sci-fi action. Each story contains the reincarnate of all the main characters, whichThe Wachowski Siblings and Tom Tykwer join forces, and they deliver their best work since The Matrix and Run Lola Run, respectively. Cloud Atlas was quite an undertaking that tackles 6 different storylines from 6 different timelines; some of which hosts different genres - ranging from dark comedy to broad sci-fi action. Each story contains the reincarnate of all the main characters, which spans race and gender. And thanks to the divisive make-up designs, the actors were able to cross these demographics and respectively play their reincarnates (or past lives). This was such a creative move made by the directors and I do applaud them for that. I question the degree of connection between a few of these story arcs; but the film was made with so much structural complexity and such grandiosity, it Expand
  45. Nov 14, 2012
    My wife picked this movie....that's the last time I let her do that. If this movie wins even one Oscar I might boycott movies. This movie is like that one kid in school who tries way way way too hard. Awkward and ultimately tragic. The only reason I'm not giving this the lowest score possible is because it has Halle Berry.
  46. Oct 26, 2012
    Incoherent. Had about 40 places where it could have ended. Worst movie of the year. Just lost 3 hours of my life never to retrieve. Beware the same fate.
  47. Jun 14, 2013
    A visually stunning and groundbreaking epic. A modern art masterpiece. It's really impressive, the visuals were just out of this world. The characters were amazing. I will tell you this, the movie is a very dividing movie, some people for me consider it the modern art classic of today (I'm one of them) and other consider it a piece of crap. But I LOVED this movie. Its beautifully made andA visually stunning and groundbreaking epic. A modern art masterpiece. It's really impressive, the visuals were just out of this world. The characters were amazing. I will tell you this, the movie is a very dividing movie, some people for me consider it the modern art classic of today (I'm one of them) and other consider it a piece of crap. But I LOVED this movie. Its beautifully made and acted extremely well. Expand
  48. Oct 28, 2012
    If I had written this review right after I walked out of the theater, I might've given it somewhere around a 3. The story isn't very coherent, and you get the impression that it takes itself way too seriously. The messages and themes are also not very subtle. However, the longer I think about this movie, the more I appreciate it. It does a very good job at showing how powerful certainIf I had written this review right after I walked out of the theater, I might've given it somewhere around a 3. The story isn't very coherent, and you get the impression that it takes itself way too seriously. The messages and themes are also not very subtle. However, the longer I think about this movie, the more I appreciate it. It does a very good job at showing how powerful certain decisions can be for the future. It has strong emotional power during several scenes, and it definitely makes you think. As a movie fan, I've been growing tired of seeing so many similar movies, no matter the genre or style. Action movies, emotional dramas, and comedies, mostly seem to each blend in with the other movies of their genre, so it was nice to see something unlike any other movie. It is thoroughly entertaining, and while you might get the immediate impression that it is pretentious, self-indulgent, and not deep or intelligent enough to back that pretentiousness up, just let it gestate it your head, and I think you will come to appreciate it for what it has to offer. Expand
  49. Mar 21, 2015
    I picked up this movie to rent, thank God I didn't pay to go see it at the movies! What a hot mess, hard to follow, and you will totally try to lose your mind watching the whole thing. You can tell by my ratings on other movies I usually give an honest effort the benefit of doubt, not on this one. Should really have given it a O as I see no redeeming value in the movie and an actor ofI picked up this movie to rent, thank God I didn't pay to go see it at the movies! What a hot mess, hard to follow, and you will totally try to lose your mind watching the whole thing. You can tell by my ratings on other movies I usually give an honest effort the benefit of doubt, not on this one. Should really have given it a O as I see no redeeming value in the movie and an actor of such great movies like Tom Hanks, it is beyond me why he would do such a movie!! Expand
  50. Apr 28, 2014
    6 crappy stories chopped up, wasted 15 bucks on the DVD, I would not buy this DVD for $1, if there was time in my life I wish I could get back it would be watching this load of garbage. The actors were wasted and uninspiring, the dialogue was drivel. I had my finger on the fast forward for most of the movie it was that bad. I thought less of these actors after seeing the movie, I can6 crappy stories chopped up, wasted 15 bucks on the DVD, I would not buy this DVD for $1, if there was time in my life I wish I could get back it would be watching this load of garbage. The actors were wasted and uninspiring, the dialogue was drivel. I had my finger on the fast forward for most of the movie it was that bad. I thought less of these actors after seeing the movie, I can only guess they all needed something to do on their weekends or needed to buy a new car or two. Expand
  51. Nov 9, 2012
    I haven't had this much fun at the movies in a long, long time. I mean, this film is absolutely ridiculous. There are a million storylines, actors playing multiple characters (of different races), it spans hundreds of years... and it all somehow works, at least for me. The storylines were fleshed out, the actors embody each of their characters with remarkable skill... If nothing else,I haven't had this much fun at the movies in a long, long time. I mean, this film is absolutely ridiculous. There are a million storylines, actors playing multiple characters (of different races), it spans hundreds of years... and it all somehow works, at least for me. The storylines were fleshed out, the actors embody each of their characters with remarkable skill... If nothing else, "Cloud Atlas" is one of the most ambitious films ever made, and possibly one of the greatest. Of course, it all depends on whether or not you can accept the utter ridiculousness that comes with a narrative of this scope, but if you can, it's a ton of intelligent, crazy fun. Expand
  52. Nov 7, 2014
    This film was absurdly ambitious, and it sort of succeeds. Each separate story thread is compelling and visually amazing, but I feel it just falls short of creating an overly succinct story when put together. However it is still entertaining, if a little overlong.
  53. Apr 4, 2015
    It isn't hard to understand just why this movie didn't do itself justice at the box office. Given that dumbing down is so prevalent and the average consumer attention span struggles to come to grips with any script containing substance or integrity. This is not a movie, it is a masterpiece, a work of art, a peephole into the soul of humanity. The continuity alone is beautifullyIt isn't hard to understand just why this movie didn't do itself justice at the box office. Given that dumbing down is so prevalent and the average consumer attention span struggles to come to grips with any script containing substance or integrity. This is not a movie, it is a masterpiece, a work of art, a peephole into the soul of humanity. The continuity alone is beautifully orchestrated. Colourful, rich, vibrant, affecting all emotional responses. A rare standout movie in a time of shallow plagiarism. Six stories entwined in one, offering sci-fi / love / suspense / action / drama / thriller. Conceptually majestic, daring production, quality performances and captivating stories provide an exquisite palate. Expand
  54. Jun 15, 2013
    What an amazing experience. Not unlike the one I had upon reading the book the first time. In the beginning I was skeptical, and it took a while to get used to the narrative structure, but at a certain point I was sucked in and completely enveloped in the story. I have to say it was masterfully edited to keep my rapt attention throughout. The way they conceived it for the screen was brilliant.
  55. Dec 25, 2012
    Cloud Atlas is a curious film. It sets its ambitions to astronomical levels but at the end of the days does what it does well but is not at all a revolutionary film nor is it free of flaws. There is an emotional prize at the end if you can bear with the long convolution plot with six distinct stories played by a handful of the same actors and actresses that transcend race and gender. MyCloud Atlas is a curious film. It sets its ambitions to astronomical levels but at the end of the days does what it does well but is not at all a revolutionary film nor is it free of flaws. There is an emotional prize at the end if you can bear with the long convolution plot with six distinct stories played by a handful of the same actors and actresses that transcend race and gender. My biggest gripe with the movie was without a doubt the inclusion of unnecessary scenes in the movie. Sure, the 1936 plot involved a bisexual male but did they have to really articulate homosexual innuendos to such degree? Its one thing to vouch for gender equality rights and another to gross the crap out of the audience. Every single person in the room who saw this film with me felt extremely uncomfortable at the gay scenes involving the 1936 music composer. I mean, sure he's gay we get that and we can empathize with his lovelife but I felt that the Wachowski's went overboard with the 'feel sorry for homos' stuff. On the other hand, was the revealing if mercifully brief sex scene involving Sonmi really necessary? A kissing scene would have sufficed. If I want to watch the intimate shots of an Asian woman GRINDING on some guy's penis, I would simply go to a porn site. Oh and what the hell is with the White-guy-with-Asian-makeup-to-make-them-look-Asian **** I dont mind the gender swaps in some of the plotlines. In fact, it just shows how talented actors like Weaving, Berry, Hanks and Grant be. Putting prosthetic makeup on a white guy to make him look Asian is not only laughable at viewing but is also ultimately offensive. Why not just hire a Asian actor? Would the plot really have suffered if they had not used the same actor seen in other plotlines? Apart from those little niggles, the film excels in other departments. Cinematography is excellent, the acting brilliant and the film score...one of the best in recent times. I just felt that the Cloud Atlas Sextet is ultimately underutilized in the film as a whole. Its often too faint to be heard or too brief to make an impact. Thankfully, the credits serves this purpose but at the end of the day, had they used the score more and in appropriate scenes, I felt that the movie would have benefited a lot more. While all six plotlines are great, in the end, the ones that felt most well done and enjoyable are without a doubt Rey's 1973 plot, Cavendish's 2012 plot and the Post-Apocalyptic Zachary plot. On the note of Zachary's story, it actually got me intrigued on the premise of it - so apparently the world collapsed under some cataclysm and humanity had been reduced to primitive tribes and a handful of still advance humans. I would've love to hear more about what happened at The Fall, how the Prescients had survived this and where they were in this era, what happened to the empty lands of the world after The Fall and on the colonies on the other planets. All in all, Cloud Atlas is a brilliant film that rewards the viewer with an emotional gift but at the expense of sitting through nearly 3 hours of elongated plotlines filled with action, drama and dull, unnecessary moments. This should've been a 2~2.5 hour film in this standard OR a 3 hour that's filled with info. Instead we get a 3 hour film that is essentially a 2 hour film stretched to its brim with rudimentary moments. You may hate it, you may love, but at the end of the day, it will have an impact on your movie-watching experience. An ambitious title that could've been a lot better had its significant flaws been ironed out and the Cloud Atlas sextet been utilized more frequently. Expand
  56. Oct 26, 2012
    I read the book about a year ago, and this movie coming out had me excited to see how the Matrix directors would treat the source material. Overall, the movie was very well put together, even to the point where I felt more informed by the movie than by the book. The editor for this film should definitely get an Oscar nomination for best editing, because the way the film is put togetherI read the book about a year ago, and this movie coming out had me excited to see how the Matrix directors would treat the source material. Overall, the movie was very well put together, even to the point where I felt more informed by the movie than by the book. The editor for this film should definitely get an Oscar nomination for best editing, because the way the film is put together really helps with pacing. I could have done without the homosexual makeout scene in the beginning, but other than that it was worth seeing. Expand
  57. Nov 27, 2012
    Cloud Atlas -- I don't get it. While I was mesmerized by many breathtaking scenes and actor's playing different roles, I just didn't get the point of the whole story. None of the stories made me care. I found myself trying to figure out which actor was behind some heavy make up.
  58. Nov 26, 2012
    Genres can be a constriction on a film, letting itself be restricted by boundaries set by the type of film it is. It is more often than not, the movies that defy their genre which intrigue and
  59. Dec 9, 2012
    A rather major (though not entire) misfire. The ostensible reason for switching back and forth among stories is that viewers could not follow the presentation in David Mitchell's original book where the stories are suspended in the middle and picked up hundreds of pages later, as well as to develop the "transmigration of souls" theme (which is also reinforced by the casting of the sameA rather major (though not entire) misfire. The ostensible reason for switching back and forth among stories is that viewers could not follow the presentation in David Mitchell's original book where the stories are suspended in the middle and picked up hundreds of pages later, as well as to develop the "transmigration of souls" theme (which is also reinforced by the casting of the same actors in all six stories). The problem with this approach (apart from the fact that the reincarnation idea is neither essential nor clearly developed in the book) is that the integrity or coherence (and hence effectiveness) of each of the stories is sacrificed in the process. It's hard for me to believe that anyone who has not read the book could possibly follow each of the stories as presented in the movie.( the stories could have been presented in serial order without interruption, or in an interconnected way that was perfected by, say, Robert Altman.) But over and beyond this, the degree to which each story is fractured and the speed with which the directors move back and forth among stories is completely unnecessary for their cinematic conceit.. In addition, much of the storytelling here, unlike Mitchell's book, is almost cartoonish in its exaggeration; and the Wachowkis' turning of the Somni-451 story into a Matrix/Star Wars epic is totally unforgivable for anyone who claims to have an appreciation of the novel. (The Somni-451 and the post-apocalyptic Hawaii stories are, admittedly, the weakest part of that novel--which is itself a bit overrated, in my opinion--but they certainly deserve a better translation than they receive here.) The attraction of Cloud Atlas as a novel is the way in which Mitchell presents six different stories in six different literary styles recalling or imitating six different literary genres. This feature is completely (and unnecessarily) obscured by the movie. What an expensive shame! Expand
  60. Nov 14, 2012
    Probably the best movie I have seen in a long time. This movie is only for those people who are opened-minded enough to see it. It takes you on a whirlwind voyage from past, to present, to future and, the funny thing is, if you watch it with the intention of learning where your place is in the whole scheme of things, the 2 hours 50 mins playing time seem like it comes and goes way tooProbably the best movie I have seen in a long time. This movie is only for those people who are opened-minded enough to see it. It takes you on a whirlwind voyage from past, to present, to future and, the funny thing is, if you watch it with the intention of learning where your place is in the whole scheme of things, the 2 hours 50 mins playing time seem like it comes and goes way too quickly. I never got bored once and my attention stayed on the screen as you walk, drift, and fly with each character in his/her story. A wonderful vision the collaborative efforts of both the actors and directors that culminate in a movie I will most certainly watch time and time again. I'm hoping the extended version of the directors' cut comes out on blu. Read the book, it helps with the details as the movie moves just a little too fast leaving out some details that add to each story (as is expected when a novel goes to the big screen). Expand
  61. Jun 28, 2013
    This is a difficult movie to place a score on. The message of the film, I think, is an eternally important one. The only people who would say it is "cheesy" or "cliche'" are the most jaded of us. It's cliche' because it's true. It's a vulnerable message that Cloud Atlas tries to bring home, and I think it is a message that is disturbing to the American mainstream mindset. Cloud Atlas wantsThis is a difficult movie to place a score on. The message of the film, I think, is an eternally important one. The only people who would say it is "cheesy" or "cliche'" are the most jaded of us. It's cliche' because it's true. It's a vulnerable message that Cloud Atlas tries to bring home, and I think it is a message that is disturbing to the American mainstream mindset. Cloud Atlas wants you to know that you aren't safe from other people... for better and for worse. It succeeds in doing that and it feels satisfying. What drags the film down though is the length and the multiple storylines. I appreciated the purpose they served, but felt I could have done without so many. There were several characters I simply wanted "more" of, but didn't really get. It left me wanting more development for individual stories, but then again, maybe that's just another way Cloud Atlas drives home its central message. It's a good movie. See it with someone you care about. Expand
  62. Feb 3, 2013
    How does this movie show how one persons action changed the future? Wouldn't you need to shoot two endings for that? This movie is confusing and annoying, the only decent timeline is the Asian lady's in the takeout shop. Everything else seems more like a filler. Oh the racist boat timelines also good. But everything else just dampens the major message of the film.
  63. Nov 14, 2012
    My wife had read the book and thought the book to be excellent. However, we both thought the movie had little if any any value on any level. It was pretentious, gratuitously violent at every turn, and came off as a murky vapid redundant stew of ludicrously trite pseudo-intellectual bunk. If you want something new, exceptional, with depth and quality, go see A Late Quartet before it'sMy wife had read the book and thought the book to be excellent. However, we both thought the movie had little if any any value on any level. It was pretentious, gratuitously violent at every turn, and came off as a murky vapid redundant stew of ludicrously trite pseudo-intellectual bunk. If you want something new, exceptional, with depth and quality, go see A Late Quartet before it's gone from theaters. Expand
  64. Dec 12, 2013
    Humanidad, rebelacion y amor. No puedo pensar que en un solo segundo pudiera captar la esencia de una vida entera y la realidad de un hombre como es valiente en todos sus ambitos. La mejor pelicula que he visto en mi vida y una obra de arte que merece ser llamada la verdad. Somos el reflejo de lo que creemos y producto de lo que preservamos.
  65. Jul 9, 2013
    I knew this was going to be bad. But I didn't know it was going to be THAT bad. Turned it off after 20 minutes. Seeing Tom Hanks pop up in a bunch of different roles was just too distracting.
  66. Jul 23, 2013
    Visually brilliant and outstanding, Cloud Atlas is one of the most unique and well done movies I've ever seen. I was quite shocked and surprised when I first heard the nominations for the 2012 Oscars and didn't hear 1 category for Cloud Atlas. Particularly make up, visual effects, or original score. I've watched this movie three times now and still havn't quite figured out how each timeVisually brilliant and outstanding, Cloud Atlas is one of the most unique and well done movies I've ever seen. I was quite shocked and surprised when I first heard the nominations for the 2012 Oscars and didn't hear 1 category for Cloud Atlas. Particularly make up, visual effects, or original score. I've watched this movie three times now and still havn't quite figured out how each time difference is connected. But that's what is so great about this movie. Is that you really don't have to get or understand it. It's still just amazing to watch. Expand
  67. May 18, 2014
    Visualy stunning. Storyline like a puzzle. It's interesting, fun to watch. One of those you can watch over and over again, not get bored and always discover something new. Costume design, props and make up effects are amazing, great job on that!
  68. sLm
    Jan 25, 2013
    Great movie. At first, it is hard to separate each period, as it happened with Memento, but after a while your brain adjusts everything at its time automatically. Like watching six movies all in one.
  69. Oct 28, 2012
    I think cloud Atlas was a non stop action heart pounding movie, I love everything about this film. I think it should be up for best picture. The academy awards choose a movie this should be the one. The graphics were amazing and the frightening high places and death stunts were so frightening. There were plenty of wonderful story lines from so many amazing characters in the different rolesI think cloud Atlas was a non stop action heart pounding movie, I love everything about this film. I think it should be up for best picture. The academy awards choose a movie this should be the one. The graphics were amazing and the frightening high places and death stunts were so frightening. There were plenty of wonderful story lines from so many amazing characters in the different roles they all played in the pass and the present. One have to pay very close attention to this movie to understand where it is going at or you will miss the point, plain and simple. Halley and Tom did a splendid and job in acting and in action parts together. This is one movie I have not seen made before or I haven't seen a remake of this film either. This film was very original and very humorous at times. I also think the elderly seniors were very hysterical and very lovable, so hats up to them. I can not wait until it hits DVD. Expand
  70. Jul 13, 2014
    Clever writing, most unique film I have ever seen in a long time. I loved the Cinematography done by Frank Griebe & John Toll. Of course you're thinking it's the Wachowski's... but they do have Matrix under their belt along with Jupiter Ascending coming soon, and Sense8 a new tv/netflix show. The Wachowski's have never disappointed me ever! I've enjoyed all their films including this one,Clever writing, most unique film I have ever seen in a long time. I loved the Cinematography done by Frank Griebe & John Toll. Of course you're thinking it's the Wachowski's... but they do have Matrix under their belt along with Jupiter Ascending coming soon, and Sense8 a new tv/netflix show. The Wachowski's have never disappointed me ever! I've enjoyed all their films including this one, probably their most weirdest, trippy, original, and mind-blowing visual movie to date!!! Although you got to sacrifice about 2 and a half hours. I think it was worth it! Expand
  71. Dec 1, 2013
    This film has some of the best acting and production value that audiences completely ignored. My only complaint about this fantastic movie is that the staff didn't assign a bigger marketing budget.
  72. Jul 19, 2014
    I simply do not understand why some critics didn't enjoy this. A truly unique and ambitious film with an ensemble cast and great story. I personally think the film did well at mixing all eras instead of doing it all chronologically.

Think I might have to buy the book now.....
  73. Jul 8, 2013
    Simply, I thought it rocked. It was incredibly entertaining, with some pretty strong performances and great special effects. It's obvious while watching it that it is a movie that will polarize audiences. Personally, I want to watch it again to put more pieces together.
  74. Jan 5, 2013
    An unexceptionable film. One of the best I have ever seen, in fact. The movie is an amalgamation of 6 lives and how their karma effects their reincarnation into difference spaces along the path of time. Some characters learn and grow, and others fall further down into the wellspring of bad karma, but the overall themes of the film, that love grants salvation, is something everyone canAn unexceptionable film. One of the best I have ever seen, in fact. The movie is an amalgamation of 6 lives and how their karma effects their reincarnation into difference spaces along the path of time. Some characters learn and grow, and others fall further down into the wellspring of bad karma, but the overall themes of the film, that love grants salvation, is something everyone can relate to. It may require at least two sittings to pick up all the details of each story line, but this film is worth every moment. The idea that karma does not distinguish between race, gender, or even space and time is repeated through several timelines, and while it make take you a moment to work out how they are all connected, when you go, the aha-moment will have you falling in love with this film. At times gruesome, at times poignant, at times amusing, but always entertaining and fulfilling. Expand
  75. May 18, 2013
    I am in awe of this movie. How exactly did this not get on most critics' Top Ten lists? I loved it. Just about the quickest 3 hour movie I have ever watched. It was perfect. Every aspect of it was remarkable. So ambitious and brilliantly realized. Surely history will be kinder to this movie than the critics were. What a pleasant surprise.
  76. Jan 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One: Hugo Weaving and yellowface don't mix. Two: all the religions in the world is supplanted by a hot-chic-asian-submissive-cloned-prostitute-prophetess with nothing substantial to say other than, "be excellent to each other," minus the, "party on dudes." Three: the Irish doctor Tom Hanks plays is ironically exactly what Tom Hanks looks like without makeup and plastic surgery, he's magically delicious! Four: There are more flashbacks and flashforwards in this one movie than I have seen in a lifetime. Five: If this is reincarnation than Karma is broken. Six: Oh I get the Soylent Green line now, a little "foreshadowing" thing going on there; hint hint wink wink. Seven: WTF?! Expand
  77. Jan 11, 2013
    Quick summary of Cloud Atlas: a movie that ties 6 stories together, they all suck, so it's necessary to keep them alternating in order to avoid a lot of focus in an specific one, otherwise anyone would notice it's innumerous flaws. Also, why does Cloud Atlas tries to teach you "life lessons"? It's ridiculous, it's like the writer though his philosophy was the only truth so he has to put inQuick summary of Cloud Atlas: a movie that ties 6 stories together, they all suck, so it's necessary to keep them alternating in order to avoid a lot of focus in an specific one, otherwise anyone would notice it's innumerous flaws. Also, why does Cloud Atlas tries to teach you "life lessons"? It's ridiculous, it's like the writer though his philosophy was the only truth so he has to put in the movie things like "you have to help the others", "afterlife exists", etc. That is pointless, what about this: anyone believes in whatever they want and period. Expand
  78. Nov 14, 2012
    It's crazy and mind-blowing.
  79. Mar 2, 2013
    Truly epic in both scale and accomplishment, Cloud Atlas delivers a powerful, moving, thrilling experience that is sure to entertain on every level. May leave the audience scratching heads at the beginning, but it's worth sticking around the entire 172 minutes it takes to sweep you off your feet. This movie takes you from the life of a composer in 1936 to the life of a Fabricant in a BladeTruly epic in both scale and accomplishment, Cloud Atlas delivers a powerful, moving, thrilling experience that is sure to entertain on every level. May leave the audience scratching heads at the beginning, but it's worth sticking around the entire 172 minutes it takes to sweep you off your feet. This movie takes you from the life of a composer in 1936 to the life of a Fabricant in a Blade Runner-esque Korea in 2144. Truly amazing on every level, Cloud Atlas is brilliant enough to warrant several viewings. Expand
  80. Oct 26, 2012
    "Impressive". That's the best description I could come up with after being asked about my thoughts on Cloud Atlas immediately following the film's second-ever public screening in September at TIFF. This may be one the most ambitious and epic films I've ever seen, demanding rapt attention from viewers as they're taken on a two hour and forty three minute odyssey that spans the globe over"Impressive". That's the best description I could come up with after being asked about my thoughts on Cloud Atlas immediately following the film's second-ever public screening in September at TIFF. This may be one the most ambitious and epic films I've ever seen, demanding rapt attention from viewers as they're taken on a two hour and forty three minute odyssey that spans the globe over 500 years and hopscotches between numerous interwoven storylines that incorporates just about every film genre available, featuring actors playing several different roles each. Cloud Atlas is based on British author David Mitchell's best-selling 2004 novel and was a huge challenge for the filmmakers to adapt and finance (its estimated budget of over $100 million also makes it the most expensive independent film ever made). The architects of this beautifully twisted madness are directors/writers/producers Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run) and The Matrix's Wachowski siblings, Andy and Lana (Lana was Larry until a gender transition that was completed about five years ago). The Wachowskis, notoriously press shy, were surprisingly on hand (along with Tykwer) to introduce the film's second screening the morning after its star-studded TIFF world premiere on September 8th. A movie this expansive should have a large cast, considering how many characters appear - not so in this case, though. Principal actors Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Hugh Grant, Jim Broadbent, Hugo Weaving, Jim Sturgess, and Xun Zhou each take on multiple roles that plays loose and fast with the actors' ages, races, and genders (Susan Sarandon, Keith David, James D'Arcy, and Doona Bae also have smaller roles). Having so many dimensions to explore with all of their characters must have been acting nirvana for this lot. For the most part, they pull off the various requirements of the roles, many of which require a significant amount of prosthetics and makeup. Several of the roles were so well disguised that I was completely clueless that a certain actor had played the role until the end credits visually made some of the big reveals. Sticking around until the end is an absolute necessity for Cloud Atlas - the oohs and ahhs from the theatre audience as they discovered who actually played some of the parts was a wonderfully unique filmgoing experience for me. For all of the positive aspects that the race bending and gender bending idea brings to the film, there is the distinct whiff of gimmick attached to it. Things do get a little silly when you have Weaving seemingly playing an Asian character whose makeup produces more of a Vulcan look (which may have been intentional on the filmmakers' part), as well as in full drag playing a Nurse Ratched-like character. The latter obviously has parallels to Lana Wachowski's own life and although the nurse character provides some decent laughs, I was a little hung up on how it seemed one of the character's main functions was to generate laughs purely based on the surreal sight of Weaving playing one truly ugly looking woman. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it. Weaving does provide one of Cloud Atlas' most memorable roles, as the seriously creepy Old Georgie, who terrorizes one of Hanks' many characters. Hanks does some of the best work I've ever seen from him, playing four different characters that range from an unscrupulous doctor in the 1800s to going far against type with maybe the film's standout character, a modern-day thuggish British writer named Dermot Hoggins who gets the ultimate revenge on a critic for a bad review. Berry is excellent with her main roles playing an ambitious reporter in 1970s San Francisco and a political figurehead (from what I could grasp) aligned with one of Hanks' characters in the far future, in one of the film's few storylines that doesn't quite work. Also great is Broadbent as both a composer and playing a man tricked into living in a retirement home, who provides the film's best comic relief. The weighty Cloud Atlas themes of interconnectedness, philosophy, reincarnation, oppression, and destiny, along with the film's highly challenging pace and complex non-linear storytelling construct will prove daunting to many - I was certainly lost a number of times. This is the type of daring film that demands multiple viewings to completely grasp the filmmakers' grand scope and there's nothing wrong with a little audaciousness from Hollywood once in a while. Even with a big-name cast, it'll be very interesting to see how the otherwise difficult-to-market Cloud Atlas will fare at the box office come late October. Expand
  81. Oct 30, 2012
    This is a fantastic attempt at adapting a book which many considered unadaptable. The disparate mishmash of genres that make up the movie somehow come together brilliantly when taken as a whole. Of course, there are 'weaknesses', as is the case in almost any work of art, but that does not prevent this from being a brilliant, audacious movie. We need more risk taking and original films likeThis is a fantastic attempt at adapting a book which many considered unadaptable. The disparate mishmash of genres that make up the movie somehow come together brilliantly when taken as a whole. Of course, there are 'weaknesses', as is the case in almost any work of art, but that does not prevent this from being a brilliant, audacious movie. We need more risk taking and original films like this from the big studios! Expand
  82. Nov 13, 2012
    i think it's one of the best movie's i've ever seen. so hard to make, and they did such a good job. it's kind of like an impossible stage play. it has that literary adaptation quality to it, where it's almost rigid like a play at times, and yet so full of life too. and it just keeps rolling. it's very long and very entertaining the whole time. i don't know what to say to make you seei think it's one of the best movie's i've ever seen. so hard to make, and they did such a good job. it's kind of like an impossible stage play. it has that literary adaptation quality to it, where it's almost rigid like a play at times, and yet so full of life too. and it just keeps rolling. it's very long and very entertaining the whole time. i don't know what to say to make you see it....but give the movie a shot, it's awesome. Expand
  83. Jul 20, 2013
    Probably a beat to death opinion but its a movie that you probably have to watch twice if you weren't able to keep up. I got the chance to watch this film with a few friends and I gotta say it was definitely a trip.
  84. Oct 26, 2012
    What to say about 'Cloud Atlas'? It is perhaps the most inspiring film I have seen in a long time. It's not perfect, but I couldn't stop smiling once the lights came back up.
    For a brief moment, I thought maybe everyone in the theater was going to turn and hug the person next to them.
    Love, freedom and hope for humanity. Or at least, that's what I thought about it. . .
  85. Oct 28, 2012
    This is an outstanding epic of a movie. Daring, brilliant, compelling, tragic, triumphant. It is one of the finest movies I have ever had the pleasure of watching. This is a genre busting work of mad genius that does justice to the book while being completely satisfying as a stand alone telling.
  86. Nov 1, 2012
    If you have no philosophical, reflective bones in your body I doubt that you will like this movie. There is a steady flow of poetic thoughts about the meaning and mess of our lives scattered through the movie.

I was questioning the ability of anyone to keep me interested for three hours, but I was wrong. I was never bored; confused, yes, but I didn't care as the impression was always clear enough. This is a spectacular, thought-provoking movie.
  87. Jan 3, 2013
    It is the first movie I saw on this year and I am already convinced that will be the best, I don
  88. Apr 20, 2014
    I was skeptical at first with this movie. I dind't get many good review from my friends and great part of the internet was telling me not to give it a chance, but... I gave it a shot. And, hell, man, it showed me things I would never expect finding in any 3 hours of my day. All the storys are evolving. I laughed, I got excited, and, sometimes, even bro tears almost appeared. I cannot giveI was skeptical at first with this movie. I dind't get many good review from my friends and great part of the internet was telling me not to give it a chance, but... I gave it a shot. And, hell, man, it showed me things I would never expect finding in any 3 hours of my day. All the storys are evolving. I laughed, I got excited, and, sometimes, even bro tears almost appeared. I cannot give less than a 10 to such wonderful piece of art. I'm going to give a chance to the book, and if I find something half as good as the movie, I'll be more than satisfied. Don't listen to the haters. Do it as me: Give it a shot. You won't get dissapointed. Expand
  89. Oct 26, 2012
    Cloud Atlas is a unique movie, and that should be enough to go see it. You want more? It's also emotionally powerful, funny in the right places, exciting on more than one occasion and it has a message it wants to deliver
  90. Nov 16, 2012
    This movie tries so hard to be emotional by cramming in as many characters and story lines as possible, without ever making the audience care. Everyone that says it is so great, is in denial. This movie will not win any awards. I guarantee it. I have never walked out before the end of a movie until I saw this. Terrible.
  91. Nov 23, 2012
    This is actually not one, but 6 great movies in one nice packing. The movies are connected by the idea of modern humanism (mostly the idea of freedom), by the recurring actors (some play up to 6 different roles) and certain catch phrases. Agent Smith is brilliant in all his roles, especially the female one. This movie has a little bit of everything: futuristic sci-fi, drama, action, aThis is actually not one, but 6 great movies in one nice packing. The movies are connected by the idea of modern humanism (mostly the idea of freedom), by the recurring actors (some play up to 6 different roles) and certain catch phrases. Agent Smith is brilliant in all his roles, especially the female one. This movie has a little bit of everything: futuristic sci-fi, drama, action, a little bit of comedy, a little bit of a detective story, some love, some friendship, but at the same time it's very different from what Hollywood usually has to offer in a good sense of novelty and originality. Expand
  92. Mar 16, 2013
    Epic in scale and in ambition. Cloud Atlas just falls short of brilliance. Ultimately it turns out to be too confusing for it's own good. It is however, never short of riveting. So, even if you are unsure what is happening, you continue to watch, hoping that the next time jump will solve a piece of the puzzle.
  93. Jan 17, 2014
    If you can't appreciate the story, then appreciate the way it was told. This is the most underrated film I have ever seen. It took three film crews across the world, three writers/directors to adapt a screenplay from a book that was deemed impossible to do. I don't care much for parts of the story, but the themes, editing, humour, suspense, and eye popping makeup design and special effectsIf you can't appreciate the story, then appreciate the way it was told. This is the most underrated film I have ever seen. It took three film crews across the world, three writers/directors to adapt a screenplay from a book that was deemed impossible to do. I don't care much for parts of the story, but the themes, editing, humour, suspense, and eye popping makeup design and special effects are sure to please any viewer. I've never seen anything like it, nor will there ever be. Expand
  94. Mar 11, 2015
    One of the best movies ever made.

I have to have 150 characters, so:
    AASDHAHLAFKALFHLKAFLKAHFLFJAKLJFALKASJLKJALSKJFLKAJLFJASLKJFASKLLFASALSJLFASJ
  95. Oct 30, 2012
    Cloud theoretically tries to be the best movie marketing event in history, balancing the whole "sphere" of what something can be to everyone in a single piece of art work. But in some ways I feel like Cloud is a movie version of Starbucks. Cloud tries to dominate delightfully bowing down to film makers everywhere throughout the movie. But I have to admit even... I... love Starbucks. SoCloud theoretically tries to be the best movie marketing event in history, balancing the whole "sphere" of what something can be to everyone in a single piece of art work. But in some ways I feel like Cloud is a movie version of Starbucks. Cloud tries to dominate delightfully bowing down to film makers everywhere throughout the movie. But I have to admit even... I... love Starbucks. So punk rock, anti-modernist, or hippie roots aside, this is still great coffee despite it's single flaw of domination.

If you don't know by now Tom Tyker of Run Lola Run and Perfume worked on this film. It is probably influenced much more by the risqué smell of the latter. You may have heard that the creators of the Matrix series played God in this epic actor heavy film too, but don't forget that they also made Speed Racer and V for Vendetta. All their past experiences are thrown on the table for this theme park of a "flick". But don't worry you will get your money's worth, this picaresque film is a three-hour long "park special".

As far as the actors. The Wachowski's and Tyker woefully and tediously molded these infamous creatures into the beauty that makes them ageless, and in someways I mean that literally. Then to make the play dough stick there are some little production perks that drizzle rewatchability all over this film, and they know it, as you will be treated to something special at the end of the film like a good waiter tending to it's guests.

You will be happy you watched. In some ways I could see this masterpiece transcending time as one of the best films in history. But I'm not the judge, we the consumer are, and only one of our scientific gods, time, will tell.
  96. Oct 29, 2012
    Cloud Atlas is going to seriously divide audiences. It is one of the most ambitious films of all time, and every once in a while it falls flat under the weight of it's own ambition, mostly due to hugely inconsistent makeup. But it makes up for that by pushing the boundaries of storytelling, editing, artistic vision and hugely personal ambition. It's hard not to admire and respect this filmCloud Atlas is going to seriously divide audiences. It is one of the most ambitious films of all time, and every once in a while it falls flat under the weight of it's own ambition, mostly due to hugely inconsistent makeup. But it makes up for that by pushing the boundaries of storytelling, editing, artistic vision and hugely personal ambition. It's hard not to admire and respect this film for reaching to the stars in a time where very few movies try anymore. It flows wonderfully like a beautiful piece of music, which makes the near 3 hour running time a luxury and not a boring chore. We need more films like this, or else I have great fear for the future of cinema Expand
  97. Nov 15, 2012
    The movie starts off asking for forgiveness through, through a narrative, for telling a story simultaneously from different vantage points. I decided to give the story the benefit of the doubt, and settled in for a ride without criticising it as it unfolded.

Many people say that the stories were loosely tied together, and were not that fundamentally symmetrical. That's the point imo. It is a story that shows how actions we choose echo through both past and future creating a new set of conditions which we have to then choose between. As we choose, the consequences good or bad echo through the ages yet again. That we are agents of free will but also have great influence in the creation and destruction of the possibilities we encounter. That Karma from our actions cascades back and forth between our 'past and future lives', and if we encounter events which we believe are out of our control in this life, it is because of our actions in another life are re-writing the conditions we face.

Overall I really enjoyed the story, the concept, the visuals, and sound. Really good movie.
  98. Dec 4, 2012
    If you didn't like this movie then you weren't intelligent enough to get it. And if you were obsessed with believing that this film is racist in any way then you REALLY didn't comprehend it. That's all I have to say on the matter. Wonderful piece of art.
  99. Sep 8, 2013
    It was entertaining and had a wide variety of emotional and memorable moments butt it felt a bit too loosely put together. The film was rather long and the plot progression was good but ultimately was too drawn out. Overall the movie is good but probably could have been more impactful if it was somewhat shorter.

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Feb 18, 2013
    Don’t let its commercial nosedive in the US tell the whole story. Cloud Atlas is a tough sell, but a rewarding journey all the same. It’s an adventure into the very concept of storytelling: magical, enthralling and thrilling as much as bewildering, pompous and potty. In other words, up in the clouds.
  2. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Feb 9, 2013
    A grand folly that makes the Wachowskis’ "The Matrix" trilogy look prosaic, Cloud Atlas is a fascinating if flawed work that will leave you gasping one minute and gagging the next.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Oct 27, 2012
    Taken as little more than six disconnected shorts featuring the same group of players in different roles, Cloud Atlas works. It's entertaining and the manner in which it has been edited reduces one's tendency to lose patience with the less engaging stories.