Columbia Pictures | Release Date: September 27, 2013
7.0
Generally favorable reviews based on 131 Ratings
WATCH NOW
MarkDetrelOct 2, 2013
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 maybe is one of the most ridiculous and exaggerated ideas of this year, but... don't care, is an extremely funny sequel, with a cool animation, much funny moments, I could no ask for anything more, CloudyCloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 maybe is one of the most ridiculous and exaggerated ideas of this year, but... don't care, is an extremely funny sequel, with a cool animation, much funny moments, I could no ask for anything more, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 is one of my favorite movies of this year! Expand
ThegodfathersonSep 27, 2013
While Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 might not deliver the same cross-generational appeal as the first film, it’s a worthy sequel that smartly iterates on the core storyline with a new and entertaining direction. The foodimals will keepWhile Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 might not deliver the same cross-generational appeal as the first film, it’s a worthy sequel that smartly iterates on the core storyline with a new and entertaining direction. The foodimals will keep members of the film’s kid-friendly demographic entertained and tongue-in-cheek social satire provide some decent chuckles for parents (as well as older fans of the prior installment). In general, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 doesn’t taste quite as fresh as the original recipe but the film offers more than just re-heated leftovers with another funny and entertaining adventure that justifies a second helping of Flint Lockwood and friends. Expand
JrAgujaIsAGleekNov 4, 2013
While not as intellegent as the previous movie, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 is funnier with its food puns and more action-packed that channeled a Pixar movie.
HeatSeekerSep 28, 2013
Being a fan of the first Cloudy, I was excited to check out the sequel. While the original is better, mostly because it has more heart, there's lots to keep adults and kids entertained here. It starts off a bit slow, giving a short reviewBeing a fan of the first Cloudy, I was excited to check out the sequel. While the original is better, mostly because it has more heart, there's lots to keep adults and kids entertained here. It starts off a bit slow, giving a short review of what happened in the first film for those who didn't watch it (which was definitely thoughtful), but once the story unfolds it pulls the viewer in. It's not a spectacular story; the twists are pretty predictable, but it has a good flow and there are no dull moments. Sony did a fantastic job with the visuals very colorful, vibrant, and the living food really come to life. Humor was in good supply, and the food-related puns were actually quite clever. My only real problems with the movie were the somewhat lacking story line and the protagonist Flint, who didn't seem nearly as endearing as I remember him from the first movie. They made him too wacky and all over the place, and it's hard to imagine kids relating to him or remembering him as a character they'd like to emulate. Still, Cloudy 2 will keep you entertained enough, and it's worth watching it at least once, especially if you craved more after watching the original. Expand
RevRonOct 3, 2013
I love the first movie--it became my favorite animated movie of all time--and I found I really enjoyed this one, too! Once again, the movie is just plain fun. The animation looks fantastic, the food animals are creative and amusing, theI love the first movie--it became my favorite animated movie of all time--and I found I really enjoyed this one, too! Once again, the movie is just plain fun. The animation looks fantastic, the food animals are creative and amusing, the voice acting is great and, like the first one, it's just hysterical. While I didn't think it was as gut-busting as the first one, I still laughed a lot and I really want to add this to my "repeat viewing" list (come on, Blu-Ray release date...hurry up and get here!). However, the one thing that I loved the most had to have been the background designs. The way they created the landscapes into food-based locations was very creative and pretty cool to witness. Overall, it's a decent and fun follow-up to a epic first film! Expand
NekoMewyChanOct 20, 2013
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, was AMAZING!! If you liked the first one you will love this one too!! :D
It was so so CUTE!! I love all the cuteness of the mutated foods!! I died from cuteness over load! I even teared up a little because of how cute and happy everything was. XD(I just love how cute everything was)
But I enjoyed the movie very very much and I am sure you and your kids will as well!! it's worth the money spent! Enjoy!!
andreslopezOct 5, 2013
i don't know why people didn't like if this is such a cute movie, i'm a big fan of this and i really liked the first one and this one..hope we'll get a new one soon
foxgroveNov 5, 2013
This year's animated films seem to have been somewhat below par so this sequel is refreshingly welcome even if it's not quite as good as the original. Story wise there isn't much to shout about it's just the good guys vs the bad. Visually,This year's animated films seem to have been somewhat below par so this sequel is refreshingly welcome even if it's not quite as good as the original. Story wise there isn't much to shout about it's just the good guys vs the bad. Visually, however, this is jaw droppingly amazing stuff. Beautiful colouring and some real imagination is on display here and this is enough to cement over the cracks of a screenplay that is at its best when batting out funny one liners. There are loads of jokes about the food characters on show. I particularly liked the 'leek on the boat gag, and the one about cutting the cheese is proof positive that toons are no longer positioning themselves just for kids (Para Norman made that perfectly clear). The animal/food names are very inventive what with shrimpanzees, flamangos, tacodiles and melophants, and if the humour at times is a bit corny (pun intended) it non the less raises a smile and is often very funny. Even the requisite cute character, a strawberry with the oh so original name of Berry!, is more tolerable than usual. Good fun. Expand
FreedomFightersJan 7, 2017
After "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" became a box-office success in 2009, Sony Pictures Animation jumped at the idea of making a sequel, as one would expect them to do. After the first film turned out to be a pretty inventive and funAfter "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" became a box-office success in 2009, Sony Pictures Animation jumped at the idea of making a sequel, as one would expect them to do. After the first film turned out to be a pretty inventive and fun film, I was pretty excited for this one. And while it doesn't hold a candle to the first film, "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2" is still a solid animated film. The animation is pretty good overall, the film itself is pretty funny, and the characters are not bad either. Sure, it can't help but feel like a little bit of a retread of the first film, but "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2" is still a good animated film that's fun for the whole family. Expand
eagleeyevikingJan 16, 2014
The main course is better than the opener as Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 is filled with countless hilarious food puns and some very dazzling visuals despite its shaky start and predictability.
BatfinkskinnerMar 21, 2014
As good as the first movie. The characters are all back and just as funny. Apart from Mr T being replaced by Terry Crews this movie is Fantastic! I love it, my kids love it and so should you.
vikesh2206Nov 10, 2014
homer4presidentMar 30, 2015
. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 dives in deeper in its appetizing-utopian realm, and it's a bit unnecessary at times, but it's still able to provide hilarity, colorful personalities and heartfelt vibes, that though it isn't as striking. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 dives in deeper in its appetizing-utopian realm, and it's a bit unnecessary at times, but it's still able to provide hilarity, colorful personalities and heartfelt vibes, that though it isn't as striking as its predecessor, it's still solid. Expand
GregePorterAug 31, 2015
Bottom line: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 is the best children’s movie I’ve seen in a long time; I'd highly recommend it to anyone and especially those with children.

I remember reading Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, or at least

I remember reading Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, or at least having it read to me, when I was little. I was apprehensive when the first CwaCoM film came out. I thought the animation was too wiggly and I didn’t like the idea that they changed around the story. I didn’t even see it. Flash forward to last night, at her request, my fiancée and I watched the recently released sequel. It was such a good decision.

Just like any sequel, the movie begins with a plot refreshment but it was short and sweet. It brought me up to speed and smoothly transitioned into the new movie. From a young age, Flint Lockwood has dreamed of becoming a world changing scientist/inventor like his hero, the CEO of Live Corp, Chester V. Flint eventually makes a device that changes water into food. The machine malfunctions causing the island on which Flint, his family and friends live to overflow with food. Flint destroys the device to prevent a global catastrophe. He and his friends decide to make a lab together to invent and change the world. Chester V (well, a hologram of Chester V) arrives to the food covered island and invites the islanders to live in San Franjose, CA. Flint is given a job at Live Corp, a science company whose flagship product is the Live Bar.

Live Corp, and Chester V, is a source of constant, funny jabs at Apple and Steve Jobs. The Live Corp logo, a light bulb, is everywhere in the sleek, white design of the company headquarters: the building is a giant light bulb and it has a fancy light bulb shaped water feature. The entry-level inventors work in a cube farm in the basement of the building, tirelessly inventing for the biannual induction ceremony where one inventor becomes an Inventronaut, the upper echelon of Live Corp employees who have proven their scientific prowess. Numerous “caffeine stations” provide free coffee while videos of Chester V speaking play at “Motivation Stations”. Meanwhile, back on the island, Flint’s invention wasn’t destroyed. It has continued to create food but the food has evolved to the point that the fruits and vegetables are now food-animal hybrids like Flamangos and Cucumbirds. I am a fan of puns and, if you have seen the trailer, this movie is full of them. Chester V orders Flint to shutdown the machine to save the world from the food-animals.

I mentioned, previously, that I thought the animation was a little too wiggly. After watching the movie, I can say that I was incorrect; it's colorful and energetic. The same can be said about the humor. It was light, pleasant, and consistent. One of my pet peeves about children’s movies relates to the poor attempts at humor. There are fart jokes, poop jokes, or slapstick. They make me uncomfortable because I don’t think they are funny and I don’t think they should be such a source of humor. Then there are the jokes geared towards the parents because they go over the heads of the children. When I was little, this was a source of frustration. I was aware that there was a joke but I didn’t understand it. I felt like the movie was banishing me to the children's’ table. CwaCoM 2 doesn’t have many of these two types of jokes. It is an accessible movie. “Ah! There’s a leek in the boat,” yells Lockwood. The camera cuts over to a vegetable sitting in the boat which returns an equally startled yell. If a child didn’t know what a leek was the jokes would not be lost and it would give the parent/s the opportunity to explain the joke.

In terms of characters, they are all were pleasant. I loved the relationship between Sam and Flint the most. It is clear that they are a couple but the end goal isn’t to get married and live happily ever after but to make a laboratory and invent. They want to change the world together. Sam is a capable scientist who isn’t relegated to the position of damsel in distress.

I don’t know how I feel about attitude towards the food-animals. At one point, Sam says, “You can’t eat them, they are alive!” What are they supposed to eat!? Sam’s objection, of course, is an common reason for becoming a vegetarian but now what are they going to do for food in general? If they shut off the machine, the food-animals will die, but it is stays on, the machine will keep making more. Does this mean people will just have to make sure the food they eat is home grown, or at least, not sentient? Perhaps this is can be interpreted as a statement about responsible food production practices. It isn’t a question the movie directly raises or address, it was just something that came to mind. The main message of the movie is about friendship.

The sense of humor is refreshing and the animation is bright and happy and so is the story and characters. If I had children, I'd have them watch this movie and would recommend it to anyone looking for a happy movie.
Jollyjoe1000Dec 21, 2015
Honestly I liked this movie better then the original. I mean Flint Lockwood trying to be his idol.But the thing that makes it better is the foodimals.
EpicLadySpongeFeb 25, 2016
Well... I believe you can live up the first few minutes of not being starved by this movie. The comedy doesn't work here, but after a few minutes... it'll just be like the first movie all over again.