6.2

1. Sep 2, 2014
    "Cloverfield" is one of the most intense movies I've ever seen. It's extremely fun to watch from beginning to end, and the monster was actually pretty cool as well. It had good acting, and the film mostly focused on the human characters rather than the monster which is something Matt Reeves does in all of his movies. I highly recommend this film even if you don't like found footage movies.
  2. Aug 13, 2014
    The movie have some good characters but the actors are really bad so they look like some idiot and the monster is hiding until the end and even in the end we don't really see him.But, the movie have some good action/frightening scenes.
  3. Jun 1, 2014
    Very immersive. If you've seen the TV show Jericho, it's almost the monster movie version of that. We only see from the perspective of ordinary people, never important politicians or military generals; so the viewer is imbued with the same confusion that a person actually experiencing the events would feel. The Cloverfield monster itself is impressive, and enigmatic. This is my favorite monster attack film. Expand
  4. May 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie has one of the scariest monsters ever put on film. You can only briefly see him before the final scene, but when you finally see his face, well, I wanted to hide under the bed and close my eyes. He is truly hideous and alien looking, unlike, say, Godzilla, who has the most generic design ever.
    But the best thing is that this terrifying monster was put in a really good movie, which is less of a monster flick and more of a chronicle of a disaster that is relentless and merciless. No one survives in this, and it is at it should be, considering the tone of the movie. This is not some Godzilla flick where people stand around and atomic bombs do nothing at all. If this type of event happened in real life, the only salvation for those who came in contact with it would be death.
  5. Nov 15, 2013
    AWESOME MOVIE Finally something different in this attacks of aliens movies, the "fps" capture is very interesting and i hope one day they make a second movie because the end doesn't was very excellent, so i raise 2 points from the score...
  6. Oct 1, 2013
    Cloverfield es una pelicula, original, interesante y hasta inteligente me atraveria a decir un buen trabajo de Paramount pictures con una camara de video que hace ver mas real y sufrida la situacion, aclaro que en ciertos momentos es incomodo
  7. Jul 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Cloverfield wasn't a bad movie, but I wasn't head over heels in love with it either. The action and special effects were very good. I thought the monster and its little "Parasites" looked very realistic. The bombing sequences were captured very nicely. The movie was very suspenseful throughout. I loved how they captured it with the video camera. I've seen that aspect used in a similar sci-fi film "Chronicle". The plot was very unique for a sci-fi/thriller.
    The bad points were that there was absolutely no character development what so ever. I couldn't relate or get attached to these characters lives and what they were going through. I think they could have done a better job when it came to showing more of the characters back stories and what they had to lose.
    Another bad point was that it was very predictable. I think most people could predict that everyone would die in the end. It was overall a decent sci-fi/thriller. It may seem boring at the very beginning, but if you watch it until the end, I think you'll be satisfied.
  8. Jun 26, 2013
    I thought that this movie would have its best scenes in the trailers, so when I went in I did not expect too much. But I did expect that it would be different given JJ Abram's influence on Alias. Well, if you're not much for jumpy cameras and are prone to motion sickness, you probably will not stay too long in the theater. But if you can focus wide and not get caught up too much in the details, you are in for an intense and unique take on the monster hits a major city (New York) genre. Where does it come from? What is it? One can speculate, but the movie is really dealing with the trauma of a small group of party goers and their encounter with the extraordinary! The effects are amazing, the acting by relative unknowns, hits on all marks; making the movie all the more convincing to the very end. Not for the faint of heart or the under-aged; under 17s might be up nights with the shakes, definitely don't take preteens! Way better than, "The Mist," a must see for giant monster fans everywhere! Expand
  9. Jun 22, 2013
    I thought this movie was an amazing piece of work. Refreshing, well made. a point of view never did before (I don't get people getting sick or like that. you must be one of the worst out there or it's a pretext to hate on the movie. Or you've seen to many typical hollywood movie and you get sick when they do something else). 1 of the best made "big monster" movies. The hell with those godzilla vs X monster, 1 guy 1 girl doing something REALLY important while godzilla is fighting with the monster. and of course the military getting between. I say Good job J.J.A for putting this out. I watch it monthly, 1 of my best. Expand
  10. Jun 13, 2013
    I grew up on Godzilla movies of the 60s and 70s and I have always enjoyed movies like this. I was also someone who followed Cloverfield's viral marketing campaign being caught up in the excitement which the first teaser trailer delivered. Although I have a few complaints about a couple aspects of the movie; for me the movie more than lived up to the hype and JJ Abrams and Matt Reeves delivered a movie that was a terrifying thrill ride.

I understand that the way the movie was filmed was a deal breaker for some people. For me there were times when I did think the shakiness was a bit too much but for the majority of the film the camera technique faded into the background and I was able to enjoy the movie. Being a lover of giant creature features the other slight disappointment was in the length of time the monster was seen in the movie. I say it's a slight disappointment because I do think that seeing only glimpses of the monster throughout the movie did help create that sense of fear of the unknown and the suspense of what may happen at any minute. But I don't think showing the monster a little more than they did would not have hurt. Also a consolation is the fact that creature designer Neville Paige designed a giant monster that was frightening, very original and innovative.

Much has been said about the plot so I will not rehash it here. I did like the acting and the time in the beginning of the movie getting to know our characters was well spent. For me they were characters which I grew to care about. TJ Miller's character of Hud and his unrequited crush on Marlena provides for some humorous moments of comic relief throughout the film. But the main relationship driving the plot of the movie is Rob who finds the courage to face a monster head on in his pursuit to rescue Beth the girl he's afraid to commit to. All in all Cloverfield is a fun, thrilling and entertaining movie that hopefully has brought a sense of real fright and terror to a genre of films that had long since lost its ability to frighten.
  11. May 31, 2013
    Cloverfield is my favorite monster movie ever. I like how its viewed through a camera the whole time. The monster was intense and scary. The parasites were really terrifying. Its just a great movie.
  12. May 28, 2013
    I'm going to be straight forward and honest, Cloverfield is not perfect, its flawed in some places but that does not mean that I didn't like the movie. When Cloverfield came out in 2008, the found footage genre was still considered unique, all we had was Paranormal Activity and The Blair Witch Project, now they're like a dime a dozen. The move had its flaws such as the shakey camera work, which made me somewhat dizzy. But Cloverfield all in all was an enjoyable thrill ride with an abundance of suspense. I recommend it to those who like creepy movies, but if you're not a fan of found footage movies, don't watch this film. Expand
  13. Apr 1, 2013
    Easily one of the worst films I've seen. There really is nothing good about it. It is film that combines inane and pointless dialogue, bad acting, and no real scares or tension. Thankfully it has a running time of just 85 minutes (which still felt like a life time). One that is definitely best avoided.
  14. Mar 25, 2013
    Better then Avatar, Hunger Games, Twilight, etc. Probably the second best film of 2008 other then Marley and Me. Pretty good acting, visually amazing, plot (New York under attack, man goes to get his ex-girlfriend) simple, handheld camera made it more realistic I say definintly check out, great B+!
  15. Mar 24, 2013
    Quite an enjoyable film. Loved the documentary feel and don't agree that the monster's origins, motive, etc, needed explaining. It wasn't really about the monster, after all. The party section went on a bit too long and it didn't succeed in making me feel attached to the characters, the film really improved when we got to the part with the monster attacking. The only complaint I would make about this film is that to me it never seemed very believable that the characters would go to their certain deaths on the off-chance of saving someone's ex-girlfriend. If they had been a couple going back to save their baby (left with babysitters across town?) then it would have made a lot more sense. Expand
  16. Mar 21, 2013
    This movie was great, but, apparently the director had to go and make it end like all of the other FREAKING HORROR MOVIES. He did that at the worst time also, I mean there was a great love story but then BOOM he goes and ruins it. And they don't even tell you where the creature came from!!!!! All you know is that something is attacking Manhattan and that's IT!! Recommend not watching this movie
  17. Mar 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was scary, funny, depressing, and extremely unpredictable. It was a great movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I especially liked how good the execution of the story was and how good the character development was. The ending was good because you really don't know the fate of the last 3 characters. Which makes you way more excited for a Cloverfield 2. If there is one. Expand
  18. Jan 12, 2013
    No surprise in this film that is not a masterpiece.
  19. Dec 27, 2012
    While there is a good premise, and although I do understand the reason why they shot the film the way they did - all in all, this is at best, a late-night movie and not a grand cinematic experience what could expect. Diagnosis: You're not missing much if you pass it, and you might like it. The effects are terrific!
  20. Dec 7, 2012
    This was an effective film the first time around. It's still a gripping watch, although some may find elements of the film a bit annoying. Getting through the first 20 minutes or so really tested my patience as I was not sure what to expect, or when to expect it.
  21. Nov 28, 2012
    It's cinematography may be uneasy for some, but I had almost no quarrels with this very straightforward, yet remarkably astute creature feature.
  22. Aug 13, 2012
    Cloverfield is as good as it gets when it comes to found footage films. Believable, perfectly filmed and expertly promoted. Robert is moving to Japan, so his brother Jason and friend Hudd along with Jason's girlfriend decide to throw him a party. After a massive earthquake the party goers decide to flee into the streets only to find NYC being attacked by some form sort of monster the size of a skyscraper. The classic Godzilla style movie brought into the 21st century with some great SFX and expertly done handheld camera techniques. Expand
  23. Jul 14, 2012
    This movie is very good why you ask because its believable and the special effects are beautiful perhaps one of the best things about this movie is that you never really catch a good glimpse of what the monster looks like this is more of a suspense then a horror movie so don't expect to be scared but feel terror for the characters that are in this situation
  24. May 19, 2012
    As the instigator of pseudo-documentary horror/sci-fi, four-years later, I finally got the chance to watch it, stripped down to the film per se, a 80 minutes running time has testified the audienceâ
  25. May 8, 2012
    To begin with I think that this film tried to be a Blair Witch, Godzilla mash-up of sorts. That doesn't necessarily make it bad though, in fact I like some of the hand held way of storytelling, really makes you feel more involved I think. And the Godzilla portion, that comes from the giant alien type creature that shows up and stomps around Manhattan. And with those two aspects, it turns out to be a pretty decent film. Made by the Bad Robot Company, the production company behind Star Trek and Lost, basically J.J. Abram's company, I don't know if he is the head or anything but all the projects he is involved in, this company is also. This being a Bad Robot film, I knew that it would be somewhat interesting and have some good special effects. And I was right. The film is about a guy's last night in New York before he moves to Japan, perhaps a nod to the Godzilla aspect? And in the middle of the party, about fifteen minutes into the film, there is a big bang as a tanker near the Statue of Liberty capsizes. And then all hell breaks loose. The head of the statue gets thrown down the street, buildings start falling down, and people start panicking to get off the island. And for the remaining 75 or so minutes, you follow three young people as they themselves try and get off the island and save themselves. This is a pretty short movie, less than 90 minutes, but it is a rush. There is not that much real down time once the action starts and I think that that is what the film does good. It almost constantly keeps the adrenaline up. And the closer you get to the end, the more you see the monster and the more you see the destruction that it is caused. So if you want to look for a fun ride of a film, wanna go on a little adventure, pop this one in, sit back, and watch some **** get blown up. 3/5 B Expand
  26. Apr 29, 2012
    A poor movie. Some interesting ideas mostly in the form of the recording angle as its supposedly recorded on a handheld camera, personally i didn't think this worked at all though as i found it made it more confusing and didn't draw me in. As most people have stated the ending was awful, one of the worst i have ever seen to the extent that i stood up at the end of the and shouted at the screen. I would recommend that nobody see this movie.... ever. Expand
  27. Apr 2, 2012
    I'm not sure how I felt about all the camera work, but I suppose that added to the creativity. I kind of wish I didn't see that big stupid green monster at the end, but it was still dark and scary at times.
  28. Mar 30, 2012
    This little film cam out in a big way. It is a haunting, thrilling and eye popping. I like the way the director hides the monster througout the film and the ending is something that will leave you speechless.
  29. Mar 7, 2012
    When I first watched it, I really liked it. However thinking about the film in my head above, I cant help but think how overrated it is. The cast is average at best, The whole shakey cam adds to the film a bit but its overrated. It was an interesting monster film that offers a bit of suspense and excitement. Worth checking out imo.
  30. Dec 16, 2011
    You all upset me very much. Who would put down an apocalyptic movie filmed using The Blair Witch Project techniques? Especially with something like T-Rex on the loose? I felt on the edge of my chair the entire film. I could watch this on repeat. Metacritic is giving this stupendous film lousy reviews.

Cloverfield's gritty, in-your-face style is uncompromising. If you're looking for a nice, clean movie filmed with a steadycam, you'll have to look elsewhere.
  2. Think "Godzilla Unplugged" -- with chillingly effective results.
  3. Cloverfield, a surreptitiously subversive, stylistically clever little gem of an entertainment disguised, under its deadpan-neutral title, as a dumb Gen-YouTube monster movie, makes the convincingly chilling argument that the world will end -- or, at least, Manhattan will crumble -- with a bang and a whimper.