Cocktail

2.0

1. CM
    Jan 5, 2008
    Was there a script involved or was this improvised? Awful waste of celluloid.
  2. BrentB.
    Aug 11, 2007
    I watched this movie when I was 14, so I did not realize how completely ridiculous it was until I watched it again as an adult. Please, if you are in your early 30's watch this movie again, with an open mind and a critical eye. Awful.
  3. JD
    Oct 8, 2008
    This movie isn't a masterpiece but, it is entertaining, certainly shouldn't be in the worst movies list.
  4. JustinA.
    Jan 23, 2008
    I've watched Cocktail so many times I feel as if it has become a part of my soul. I can think of nothing better to do on a lonely night than grab a beer and put on Cocktail. Tom Cruise is absolutely brilliant, as is Bryan Brown. The Jamaican interlude is one of the greatest pieces of filmmaking of all time. I can't explain what it is about this film that so deeply affects me, it I've watched Cocktail so many times I feel as if it has become a part of my soul. I can think of nothing better to do on a lonely night than grab a beer and put on Cocktail. Tom Cruise is absolutely brilliant, as is Bryan Brown. The Jamaican interlude is one of the greatest pieces of filmmaking of all time. I can't explain what it is about this film that so deeply affects me, it just has this mysterious power over me, rendering me helpless and giddy. Websites like this are fascinating, because they just go to show that a widely praised film, such as "Once," may be the worst film of all time; meanwhile, one of the worst films of all-time, according to metacritic, is "Cocktail," which I consider to be a cinematic masterpiece. Do yourself a favor--never watch "Once," instead go out and buy Cocktail and watch it over and over again and try to grasp its beauty. But no matter how many times you watch Cocktail, you'll never be able to fully fathom its complexity and richness. --The Olde Philosopher. Expand
  5. discombobulator
    Feb 29, 2008
    One of the worst films ever made and another role by Mr Cruise that proves that he is one of his generations poorest actors. Dreadful.
  6. Tommy
    Aug 22, 2007
    This is one of the most iconic films of the 80's. It literally oozes cool. This is not one of the 29 worst films of all time... Give me strength!

Overwhelming dislike - based on 14 Critics

Cruise is walking in the footsteps of Troy Donahue and John Travolta here. He does what comes easy. He bumps and grinds and grins till his lips ache. It's a performance with all the integrity of wax fruit. And Cocktail is mud in your eye.
    The more you think about what really happens in Cocktail, the more you realize how empty and fabricated it really is.
  3. Cocktail, which opens today at the Cinema 2 and other theaters, is ''Saturday Night Fever'' without John Travolta, the Bee-Gees and dancing. It is an inane romantic drama that only a very young, very naive bartender could love. How it got that way is difficult to understand.