Coffee and Cigarettes

6.3

1. VladA.
    Feb 27, 2005
    Bob E., I liked the movie a lot but you're eating ish when you tell people to "examine" the critic's ratings. Those are there to guide people towards potentially more rewarding movies. Critics aren't gods we should pray to and agree with on every occasion. And by the way, 64 is good, but not excellent.
  2. Mr.Holland
    May 21, 2006
    Some people are crazy. it's a beautiful film.
  3. BobE.
    Oct 6, 2004
    Perhaps some of the users should wake up and smell the "coffee" and examine the excellent "64" composite grade the film has received from "professional" critics.
  4. ClaudeL.
    Oct 7, 2004
    I am a Jarmusch fan. So, my expectations were very high with this movie. I loved so much all the other Jarmusch movies. I watched 'Stranger than paradise' a dozen of time and I still like to be absorbed by its ambience. So I was a bit concerned that 'Coffee and cigarettes' would not fill the bill. It was not up with former Jarmusch's work but still I liked it I am a Jarmusch fan. So, my expectations were very high with this movie. I loved so much all the other Jarmusch movies. I watched 'Stranger than paradise' a dozen of time and I still like to be absorbed by its ambience. So I was a bit concerned that 'Coffee and cigarettes' would not fill the bill. It was not up with former Jarmusch's work but still I liked it pretty much. Mostly the scenes with Begnini and Iggy Pop/Waits. As allways, when Jarmusch makes a movie, it is a gift for us. Thanks again Mr. Jarmusch. Expand
  5. SamJ.
    Oct 6, 2004
    It appears that we must give the highest praise for this engaging art-house film to counter the simplistic and commercial tastes of the users who ludicrously give the black and white charmer a 1.....
  6. AndrewK.
    Jun 4, 2004
    Brilliant filmmaking. I love this kind of sh.t. If you like intelligent, real life humor, you will enjoy this film. Steven Wright and Roberto Benigni are hilarious as a comedy team. Cate Blanchett is so convincing in her two different roles that I didn't realize she was playing both characters. The White Stripes scene is brilliant. Laughed my ass off. The twins, Joie Lee and Cinque Brilliant filmmaking. I love this kind of sh.t. If you like intelligent, real life humor, you will enjoy this film. Steven Wright and Roberto Benigni are hilarious as a comedy team. Cate Blanchett is so convincing in her two different roles that I didn't realize she was playing both characters. The White Stripes scene is brilliant. Laughed my ass off. The twins, Joie Lee and Cinque Lee, were very good. I'd never seen them before, but they got me interested to know what other work they've done. Iggy Pop I've never seen act before, and I wondered why I'd never seen him act before (though I believe he has dabbled in it). I was amazed at how natural he was. Alfred Molina and Steve Coogan's scene was very well done, as was Billy Murray, GZA, and RZA's scene toward the end (one of the funniest pieces in the film). I didn't really know anything about the two old guys at the end, but the one old guy (the sleepy one) kept me laughing throughout the entire scene. The only scenes that weren't that great were the one with the old men and the son and the one with the girl looking at gun catalogues. They didn't detract enough from it to make it a bad film, though. Overall a wonderful film. Some people may not think so because they are going into it with different expectations. Those people should read more about the films they are going to see before they get to the theatre. Expand
  7. DonW.
    May 31, 2004
    Well, we could certainly use a second opinion here. I find that I couldn't disagree with Mark B. more, and that I find the basis for most of his points to be fairly arbitrary. Of course 1) this movie has no plot, 2) it's all dialogue, and 3) most people won't have any patience or appreciation for it. Going into this movie, one should know exactly what to expect as long as Well, we could certainly use a second opinion here. I find that I couldn't disagree with Mark B. more, and that I find the basis for most of his points to be fairly arbitrary. Of course 1) this movie has no plot, 2) it's all dialogue, and 3) most people won't have any patience or appreciation for it. Going into this movie, one should know exactly what to expect as long as you have some familiarity with Jarmusch and a few of the actors. First of all, Jarmusch is a minimalist. He consistently showcases awkward silences, subtle tension, and candid, off-the-cuff performances in his films. He enjoys the "small things". This movie would be "almost unwatchable" to someone expecting it to behave in some way different from its very nature or statement of purpose. True in some scenarios the actors sound "self-involved", but that's all part of the dymanic Jarmusch consistently creates between the actors in almost every vignette. One character holds an aloof, confident position of power while the other plays a more sheepish, subservient role. Things also get interesting when the roles occasionally flip, and the dynamic shifts. Overall I'd say it's worth seeing, but perhaps not for everybody. A few of vignettes are pretty dull, but the good ones more than make up for the weak parts and the goofier parts (Billy Murray, RZA, GZA) I think. Tom Waits in particular nearly made it worth the admission price all by himself. And, no, it wasn't because he reminded me of Cheers, but because he's a fantastic liar with wonderful screen presence. Expand
  8. JedD.
    Oct 23, 2004
    Goes without saying that this film is not for everyone. I rather enjoyed the film. Each scene is not great but most of them are. For Jarmusch fans this was certainly a treat.
  9. MattR.
    Jun 13, 2004
    Superb! If you don't like it, I hear Shrek 2 is playing.
  10. PeterH
    Apr 25, 2009
    A mildly entertaining story with several entertaining shorts. Several gems in the collection are Cate Blanchett's short and Steve Coogan and Alfred Molina's short.

1. In Jarmusch's capable hands, the mundane has never been so delightful.
  2. What unites everything is Jarmusch’s playful, hang-dog absurdism.
    Jarmusch makes it a feast that plays like a haunting concept album.