4.8

1. Aug 24, 2014
    Absolutely flawless. Anthony Minghella's finest work. Cold Mountain is an often grim look at romance during the Civil War. Rarely does a proper romance fulfill our needs for emotion, excitement and comic relief.
  2. Jan 2, 2013
    The director manages to create a very realistic atmosphere throughout the movie, the cast was excellent and so was the music, I don't understand how can someone say that this is not a love story, you can see it right from the beginning. Great performances from most of the actors on the movie.This is a must for your movie collection.
  3. Jun 10, 2012
    This is one of my favourite novel-to-film 'epics'. Minghella manages, just like he did with the "English Patient" to create an engaging, interesting and inspiring feature. Truth be told, it is a bit long, and that could have potentially be changed, but Minghella stayed true to the novel, which is rather important in adaptations, so I didn't mind that too much. Beautiful cinematography and very good editing, along with great costume design and production design make this a technically greatly done film. The musical score is one of my favourite soundtracks of all time, with excellent Oscar nominated songs by Alison Krauss. The cast has gotten a lot of critical acclaim for this, but seems a lot of the audience had a problem with Zellweger and Kidman. I must say I thought they were both excellent, though vastly different roles - which is also what emphasised their uniqueness. Zellweger is just stunning and truthfully portrays the tomboy that Ruby is, and does it with flare and charm. Kidman was not miscast, unlike many state, simply because that is what the character in the novel was like in both age and behaviour. A coy, weak woman in her early 30s sheltered by her overly-protective father, and having the face real-world problems after a lifetime on unpreparedness. Law is also very good, as are the supporting actresses and actors, making this one of the best casts of the year. Overall, "Cold Mountain" has very few things wrong with it - actually, I cannot think of any straightout. Of course, it could have been shorter, and it could have clicked a bit better with me on some points, but overall it is a good, strong epic, technically superb and with a strong, A-calibre cast to boast. Very good! 8/10 Expand
  4. Jun 26, 2011
    So so so so bad. I nearly slept for two hours. Incredibly boring. Hopefully I didn't pay to see it. A good advice : DO NEVER WATCH THIS MOVIE (except if you want to lose 2hours of your life)
  5. Jan 7, 2011
    You can talk about this movie whatever you want, but it will not change the fact that it is excellent. The cast is fantastic, just like the story. If you look at other films that came out that year, and see that half of them are really bad, this movie is fantastic.
  6. Oct 18, 2010
    I liked this movie. It maybe the sweet appearance of Nicole Kidman, Or the extremely good cast. Strange to see Renee Zellweger in that kind of Role. I don't get why people hate this movie this much. It's well structured at best. I mean I can't see anything wrong with it. I guess you couldn't outright say this is one of the best. But still It's a solid piece of work.

1. A somber, often downbeat depiction of human savagery and treachery as well as of human kindness. Writer-director Anthony Minghella has meticulously crafted an intimate epic.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    As he did in “The English Patient,” Minghella artfully weds movie-movie romanticism with a dark historical vision. The man knows how to cast a spell.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A grim picaresque odyssey across a beautiful scarred landscape laced together by private romantic longing. Handsomely made and vividly acted.