Collateral

8.5

1. GregW.
    Aug 22, 2004
    Unbelievable plot. Uneven script. Very predictable. Unfolds like a TV Movie...well that's Michael Mann for ya!
  2. MarcK.
    Sep 5, 2004
    I was very surprised to see the User rating for this film to be so high, and a usually reliable friend also highly recommended it. As others below have noted, the plot lines were completely preposterous and unbelievable. The whole Jada Pinkett Smith introduction, and then her subsequent involvement towards the end of the picture were typical Hollywood cliche that you could see a mile I was very surprised to see the User rating for this film to be so high, and a usually reliable friend also highly recommended it. As others below have noted, the plot lines were completely preposterous and unbelievable. The whole Jada Pinkett Smith introduction, and then her subsequent involvement towards the end of the picture were typical Hollywood cliche that you could see a mile away. I love Mann's visual style, but "Heat" is a zillion times better than this crap. Expand
  3. WilliamW.
    Aug 13, 2004
    Once again Tom Cruise proves that hard work doesn't make up for lack of talent. I have never seen an actor work so hard an be so bad. He not even the problem with the movie though. You can guess the plot in the first five minutes. The most intriguing angles are sacrificed for comic book violence. I think it time to put the handheld cameras away. Jamie Foxx and Jada Smith are just Once again Tom Cruise proves that hard work doesn't make up for lack of talent. I have never seen an actor work so hard an be so bad. He not even the problem with the movie though. You can guess the plot in the first five minutes. The most intriguing angles are sacrificed for comic book violence. I think it time to put the handheld cameras away. Jamie Foxx and Jada Smith are just wasted in this film. Has the bar to good films been set so low that almost any film can get above it? Expand
  4. GaborA.
    Aug 13, 2004
    Stylish but stupid, all too often excellent directors and great casts get sucked into terrible scripts. Dont get me wrong, theres no comparing this to Panic Room. At least it was entertaining though not applaudable.
  5. JoeZ.
    Aug 30, 2004
    The acting from Tom Cruise was medicore at best. As usual Tom Cruise Plays himself in just about every movie. I would'nt know if he was happy or sad; his expression is always the same except there are less chessy smiles in this pic and then the lines are delivered like a robot as in T3 ala Terminator. Plenty of high body count shootings enough to satisfy any blood thirsty carnivore. The acting from Tom Cruise was medicore at best. As usual Tom Cruise Plays himself in just about every movie. I would'nt know if he was happy or sad; his expression is always the same except there are less chessy smiles in this pic and then the lines are delivered like a robot as in T3 ala Terminator. Plenty of high body count shootings enough to satisfy any blood thirsty carnivore. Where are the police when you need them?. As always the keystone cops are always 1 murder behind. The script has plenty of flaws. Expand
  6. DeniseB.
    Mar 19, 2005
    I had to watch the DVD in 2 sittings, as I was bored to sleep halfway through on my first attempt. The cinematography was beautiful but the pace was very uneven. And the plotline was beyond my ability to suspend disbelief. Vincent can arrange for a weapon to be delivered to him at LAX but can't manage to rent a car? He spends years in Special Forces and then as a contract killer but I had to watch the DVD in 2 sittings, as I was bored to sleep halfway through on my first attempt. The cinematography was beautiful but the pace was very uneven. And the plotline was beyond my ability to suspend disbelief. Vincent can arrange for a weapon to be delivered to him at LAX but can't manage to rent a car? He spends years in Special Forces and then as a contract killer but can't get the job done without a gazillion witnesses and half a dozen dead bystanders? Expand
  7. MelissaMe
    Dec 26, 2004
    I thought this one was kinda lame.
  8. ShannonP.
    Aug 17, 2004
    The movie starts off as funny and intriguing, but half way through they ditch the script and then its just one long chase scene. Most of the potentially interesting character and plot issues are never dealt with, much less utilized or resolved.
  9. ChrisC
    Feb 17, 2005
    The first 2/3 of the movie is great, but everything that happens from the nightclub on is totally implausible. I mean, could these cops be any stupider? They weren't even wearing vests!

1. The movie never really gets below that surface. It sticks to the mean streets of Los Angeles without much introspection or analysis. But those surfaces are slick and beguiling.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Mann vividly captures the nocturnal pulse of East L.A. in this taut, confined game of cat and mouse. In the homestretch the thrills get too generic and farfetched for their own good. But the first two thirds are a knockout.
    Shot by shot, scene by scene, Mann, whose recent work includes “Heat” and "The Insider," may be the best director in Hollywood. Methodical and precise, he analyzes a scene into minute components.