7.3

1. Oct 14, 2013
    It's a comedy there's actually a few big laughs, but not until near the end, so it's mainly more of a slow-burning thing. It's also at least partially a mumblecore film, which I didn't even realise. Wiley Wiggins looks a lot different when he's not animated and 10 years older. So if you don't like that, you're probably not going to like this. And I think you'd have to know something about chess to get it, but probably not much. I'm not sure how much the director knows about chess, but he has one of the characters perform a knight tour, so I'm guessing at least something. (Actually the closest thing I'd probably compare it to is Look Around You, but slightly less surreal at least at the start) Expand

1. Reviewed by: Emma Simmonds
    Nov 21, 2013
    A winning mix of deadpan comedy, retro stylings and escalating insanity. Too idiosyncratic for some perhaps, but this one-of-a-kind indie makes ’80s nostalgia feel new again.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Huddleston
    Nov 19, 2013
    Low key and occasionally frustrating it may be, but Computer Chess is a supremely intelligent, beautifully constructed film, interweaving comedy and character, satire and subtext, and loaded with more ideas than some filmmakers manage in a lifetime.
  3. Reviewed by: Bill Stamets
    Sep 26, 2013
    A naturalist comic of inarticulate manners, writer-director Andrew Bujalski attempts the ensemble styles of Robert Altman and Christopher Guest to peer into a micro-culture in Computer Chess.