Conan the Barbarian

8.1

1. Sep 28, 2011
    Although the movie has so many unnecessary parts with a hurried ending, John Millius created "Conan the Barbarian" with a appropriate cast and fantastic visuals, which is why its regarded as a classic.
  2. JaredC.
    Aug 14, 2007
    What has Arnold got himself into, this isn't a good movie nor experience.
  3. Jan 26, 2011
    I love Arnie and even though I love cheesy 80s movies this one just didn't catch me. The plot was lame, the acting terrible, the audio was at times unintelligible, and other than the over-the-top gore there was really nothing to savor. Perhaps had I seen it in the 80s I would have had a better appreciation for it, but by somehow missing it I just can't accept giving it anything higher than a 4.
  4. Feb 1, 2013
    A guilty pleasure, carried by Arnolds brute charisma and his lack of acting. A fantasy tale that is ultimately both enjoyable and very silly. The ending is quite disappointing, though, even with this "Riefenstahlesque" look.
  5. Nov 5, 2014
    Conan the Barbarian stands as a very different take on fantasy and remains to be challenged as far as musical score and majestic feel. Arnold could not have been more fit for a role in his life, makes sense that this is the one that practically launched his movie career. There are obvious things that are impressive about this movie. There is a particular attention paid to the overallConan the Barbarian stands as a very different take on fantasy and remains to be challenged as far as musical score and majestic feel. Arnold could not have been more fit for a role in his life, makes sense that this is the one that practically launched his movie career. There are obvious things that are impressive about this movie. There is a particular attention paid to the overall spectacle of the movie that makes it hard to duplicate. The costumes, the sets, and the props. All the things about the environment make it exclusively the Conan universe. Good job. However, There is a major issue with the minimal dialogue and dominantly brutish nature of just about all the characters. The argument would be that that follows after Conan's character and he doesn't say much...okay maybe that is true, but I think James Earl Jones had a little too little to work with. I think he spoke the most out of anyone. And I was relieved to hear him, its like oh, someone who is coherent, and not just anyone, Its JAMES FREAKING EARL JONES, thank you for that. I think everyone was aware of that and given this was an origin story, it sort of gave the impression of self discovery. So the weight was purposely put more on the visuals and music. which is impeccable honestly, I listen to the soundtrack all the time. Its that good. But overall there was too much testosterone all at once to be a great movie. Blood, brutality, nudity, and primitive behavior is useful depending on what you are trying to convey. Here it was just the whole movie. i never felt like it leveled out and rose up a plain or two. The end fight scene was awesome though and fantasy classic none the less. Expand

1. Schwarzenegger has probably never been better-cast.
    Milius has nothing to say: this 1982 film only hints at the romantic heroics of "The Wind and the Lion" and has none of the personal quality of "Big Wednesday."
    I liked a lot of it myself, and with me, a few broadswords and leather jerkins go a long way.