8.2

1. Aug 17, 2014
    This movie is not for everyone, just for people interested on philosophy or the existence. The performances are dazzling, Jodie Foster is a very talented actress, also the screenplay made by one of the best astronomers in the world, Carl Sagan. This movie deserves more credit from the "professional" critics and the users. Very underrated!
  2. Jul 18, 2014
    Contact is a pretty good science fiction film that is very thought provoking and well-made. As with all of his films, Robert Zemeckis really shows his skill in the director's chair here. The script and story are both very good and the visual effects are brilliantly put together and gorgeous. The acting here is also good, in particular from Jodie Foster, Matthew McConaughey, and WilliamContact is a pretty good science fiction film that is very thought provoking and well-made. As with all of his films, Robert Zemeckis really shows his skill in the director's chair here. The script and story are both very good and the visual effects are brilliantly put together and gorgeous. The acting here is also good, in particular from Jodie Foster, Matthew McConaughey, and William Fichtner. The message here is also a good one, as it essentially argues that science and religion are not mutually exclusive and can work together, rather than against one another. You can also see the influence of 2001: A Space Odyssey here for sure, as well as the influence of Close Encounters of the Third Kind in the way the possibility of aliens is handled. Overall, the film is an enjoyable one and easy to watch, while still remaining thought provoking and effective thanks to killer performances and direction. The film is far from perfect, but remains quite good. Expand
  3. Aug 23, 2013
    It tells of a possible true story when the world discovers a extraterrestrial civilization and you can understand as it could reacting. I think only that the autors have wanted exaggerate when the humanity has built the machine to travel until the star Vega because it isn't true that would so easy build a tecnology so amazing in a few time and already working.
  4. Feb 2, 2013
    Contact is a unique and thought provoking sci-fi delight. The only downside to this movie is the unsatisfying conclusion and the notion that some of it's themes are not explored fully enough (the whole religion versus science debate surely has more meat to it). Still, Contact makes for excellent viewing that is bound to rouse the inner nerd in all of us!
  5. Sep 27, 2012
    Best Si-Fi movie ever. God and point are not existing but we need them anyway. And so we only wouldn't believe, we alone in that "awful waste of space". What a message!
  6. May 7, 2012
    It's interesting that with all the hi-tech technology and wonderful gadgets this film shows off on a grand scale, at the end of the day it doesn't differ much from when E.T. decided to phone home. However, this time mankind is being lured by those aliens and in actual fact - they might not be aliens at all. But I digress. Essentially this movie is about the unknown and ones interpretationIt's interesting that with all the hi-tech technology and wonderful gadgets this film shows off on a grand scale, at the end of the day it doesn't differ much from when E.T. decided to phone home. However, this time mankind is being lured by those aliens and in actual fact - they might not be aliens at all. But I digress. Essentially this movie is about the unknown and ones interpretation of the overall philosophy of life and its meaning. I don't know what I was expecting from 'Contact' but too many questions were left unanswered for my liking... Expand
  7. Apr 7, 2012
    This movie hit pretty close to home in a lot of different parts. Great acting, good cast, and excellent CG, especially for the time. Was in awe the entire time, now one of my favorite movies ever.
  8. Sep 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. On an impulse, I went and rewatched Contact, the 1997 film starring Jodie Foster. Man, what a great **** movie. Zemeckis did a lot of good work with Roger Rabbit, Back to the Future, and Forrest Gump, but Contact seems a bit more serious and mature, while still retaining that special magic that made those previous films successful.

As the star of the film, Jodie Foster was amazing as Dr. Arroway. Maybe this is going out on a limb here, but I think she should've been nominated for an Oscar for her performance. Unlike a lot of females in big Hollywood movies, the best quality of her character is how driven and intelligent she is, instead of how big her boobs are. And really, how many times have we had a main female lead in a big blockbuster spectacle? Outside of Contact, there's... well, the Tomb Raider films... and Elektra... and Catwoman. It's just sad when you contrast any of those with Contact, isn't it? Is there anything about Lara Croft that's intellectual? She's treated solely as a sex object, right? And that is something that never ever happens with Arroway. Don't get me wrong, Jodie Foster is absolutely gorgeous in this film and looks breath-taking in many scenes, absolutely, but... she never becomes a sex object, she is always shown as a highly capable scientist and intellectual, first and foremost. This is so refreshing and it's a shame that it continues to be such a rarity in Hollywood today.

In a lot of films, you also run the risk of an intelligent and highly motivated and aggressive female character being seen by the audience as... well, frankly, as a **** But that never ever comes close to happening in Contact. Arroway is simply this incredibly intelligent, yet dynamic and interesting character, who you empathize with and want to see succeed, and no small part of that is due to Foster's electrifying performance. When Palmer Joss falls for her and decides to vote against her because he doesn't want to lose her, we as the audience are right there with him because we've all fallen for her as well. I actually thought everyone in the cast did a great job. Matthew McConaughey usually just phones it in on those rom coms he tends to do these days, but I thought he was really good as Joss, the religious love interest. I totally bought their romance. Lot of chemistry there between them.

Going back down memory lane, I read the novel back... in high school. Right after I watched the film for the first time, in fact. So, it's all a bit hazy, but I thought the book was really good as well. Generally quite similar to the film, but the ending is noticeably different. Both the film and the novel have the same central theme, which is a debate between religion and science. Instead of building one up while tearing the other down, as a lot of films are wont to do in this arena, the film takes us between the positions of one and the other until eventually, the accommodation we arrive at in the end is both thoughtful, respectful, and nuanced.

The ending of the novel has the alien giving Arroway information on a signature of sorts for a universal creator. So she goes back, gets on this big supercomputer that calculates pi, and finds that after a really long time, the seemingly random numbers of pi actually form a pattern, which translates into a visual image of a circle. So that's the proof that God exists, because he planted this signature into pi. You can kinda see why they didn't go with this ending for the film. A scientist at a computer, watching a bunch of numbers being crunched is... not particularly cinematic.

Oh, and as far as the ending goes, with the alien being her father... hey, I thought the wormhole ride was enough of a payoff, visually. That was already pretty mindblowing, with all the special effects, so I didn't really care that we didn't see any wacky alien lifeforms. And they explained it well enough in the story. I think the weakest storypoint is actually how at the end, they just keep grilling her and not believing her story, when all they had to do was send another person through.

In a lot of ways, I find Contact very similar to the film 2001: A Space Odyssey, except I think it succeeds where 2001 failed. There's the wonder and majesty of the universe, and it poses the same questions; who are we, why are we here, where are we going as a species... but unlike 2001, it's actually got interesting and engaging characters, a great narrative, a far better wormhole sequence, and really tight pacing throughout. 2001 is an emotionally cold film, yet I find just the opposite with Contact. There's so much emotion and richness to the main character, especially with her connection with her father, which we gradually find out with flashbacks.
  9. Aug 17, 2010
    Once of my favorite films of all time. Contact makes you think and wonder about the universe around you differently and is a very good movie to boot.

1. The movie, adapted from a novel by Carl Sagan, presents one long chain of teasingly open-ended questions about reason versus faith and technology versus religion, and ends up tentatively embracing mysticism over rationality.
    Contact is that rare big-budget motion picture that places ideas, characters, and plot above everything else.
    Contact aims to be a film of ideas but serves too many of them half-baked.