6.4

1. Sep 16, 2011
    Classic Soderbergh but at his best. Thrilling and stressful. Heavy and compelling and very believable. Not over sciencey but enough to tie together a very realistic feeling and terrifying possibility. Timely and touching. He pulls you in to the characters even though it is the most shared screen time and the very def of an all star ensemble cast. Honest and not too bleak. Well done. Its got a "Traffic" feel to it. Superb film. Expand
  2. Dec 17, 2011
    Thrilling, with a cool original score with just amazing fantastic performances from: Marion Cotillard, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Matt Damon, and most of all Kate Winslet. I give this film a 97% of a good movie.
  3. Mar 31, 2012
    First off, I would give it a 9.25 out of 10. Performances are great. Especially Jude law and Matt Damon. Music Score all right, and story intense. It will make you scared of getting sick as jaws made people scared of going in the ocean. This is a really well acted film.
  4. Sep 19, 2011
    Honestly, I'm disappointed that more moviegoers don't 'get' this movie. Yes, there are a lot of plot lines to follow and some people are going to be disappointed that their favorite actor/actress doesn't play a bigger part in the movie. But the process of weaving so many stories together has the wonderful effect of causing the intellectual moviegoer to consider many aspects of a single story, ultimately considering the question: "Where would I fit in this story?" That's a powerful and important point in this instance. For example, some have stated that the scenes with Jude Law's character seem like a diversion. There's a point to that. He may be the most important character in the movie. I will stop short of offering a spoiler and just say that there are subtleties at work here that mimic the world we live in. Pay attention!

I lament that so many people watch this movie and say, as one reviewer has, that there is "no real plot development." Instead, this movie should be applauded because the plot development was real; i.e., realistic. I, for one, wish more movies were like this one.
  5. Oct 6, 2011
    Though hopeless it may be, I suppose this is somewhat what society would do if put in this circumstance. I thought it was very intelligently put together. The directing, the story line, the side stories as well...All were very entertaining and left you wondering what would happen. I loved the movie. It was disturbing -- Considering how realistic it could have potentially been.
  6. Jul 31, 2013
    Educational and with a subject that rarely, if ever, gets handled by Hollywood thrillers. I could easily recommend it to anyone interested in the subject, but it's the realism and the sober, analytic treatment of something abstract, that makes me almost give it top score. A perfect ten it isn't, at all. It's no classic and it's no milestone in film. But it's something very special, competently executed, and educational for the layman. If only everyone watched it, we might not touch our faces as much, and we might not create demand for pig slaughter. Let's get rational about sources of diseases. In the real world, the financial interests are not to be trusted, whether governmental or private. We can only ever ask of each other to act in wisdom. Expand
  7. Nov 2, 2011
    I was expecting more from this film , i went to to it with my wife and well my problem is with the film in general because the acting was really good. I really dont remember what i was expecting to see but i do remember when the movie was over i felt like well ok it finished lets go home now.
  8. Jan 14, 2012
    Fantastic movie. Superbly written, acted, and directed. Definitely creates a very suspenseful atmosphere. Shocking, and quite accurate, Contagion is a must see. On another note, it somewhat reminds me of Albert Camus' The Plague.
  9. Sep 21, 2011
    This movie was very well done. With very solid acting from a stellar cast. This movie in my opinion gives you everything you hoped for, but it wasn't what I would say, "UNBELIEVABLE." But it was near flawless. And Steven Sodehberg's stylish direction really makes this a highly entertaining, great suspense thriller.
  10. Sep 13, 2011
    Soderbergh has become one of the most experimental and daring mainstream filmmakers in history. His newest offering, Contagion, is unlike any film heâ
  11. Sep 9, 2011
    From the heart of warner bros. her comes another thriller thats gonna thrill you and make sure u will take care of pandemic diseases in your life.performances of matt damon and kate winslet are awesome.the aura the film creates will definately make you see the movie twice
  12. Sep 11, 2011
    This is one of the most frightening movies I've ever seen. Soderberg does an exceptional job of showing the breakdown of society while health agencies try to quell a worldwide pandemic.Gritty photography and a bare bones, realistic script make this movie an adult horror film for the ages.There is no slasher. Jason is not coming at you at every turn.It is much more visceral horror. A virus so small, you need an electron microscope to see it. But will it be more powerful than all of us? A movie with plenty of star power but few star turns, the ensemble casting of this movie takes the viewer back to some of Soderberg's best work in Traffic. Collapse
  13. Sep 12, 2011
    This suspenseful film about a lethal airborne virus is terrifying - not like The Ring or Texas Chainsaw terrifying, terrifying like it could really happen to you terrifying - with a believable plot and A-list acting that only makes it more powerful.
  14. Sep 12, 2011
    This is a dsappointing movie. Found it boring about half way through. Thought performances were perfunctory at best especially Matt Damon's. Premise semed too contrived...many loose ends. Music soundtrack annoying. Not an enyoable experience for my wife, son and me. Hard to believe the large cast signed up for such an undertaking. Must have been lots of $ involved. Equally hard to understand the favorable reviews I've seen. When are we going to see some high quality movies? A terrible year so far. Expand
  15. Sep 15, 2011
    original story, interesting POV, great acting, large cast, awesome suspense... amazing movie. thats all that needs to be said but i atleast need to write 150 characters
  16. Sep 17, 2011
    This was probably the worst movie I've ever seen. There is absolutely NO character development. You never really care about the characters because the movie shift the main character focus every 5 minutes. The story itself is pretty stupid, it is basically: There's a virus. People panic. There's a vaccine. That's it
  17. Oct 25, 2011
    I went to see this film last night and I think this is the worst film I have seen in my life. Very boring, and no point in it at all. The story line sounds really good but it does not seem to work for some reason. Very big disapointment overall.
  18. Nov 5, 2011
    This movie was the BEST. No, I mean this - A very excellent plot planned out, great performances from Matt Damon and the others, and the suspense they add into this Sci-Fi Thriller. Nevertheless, this could be a better and realistic version of "The Happening".
  19. Nov 7, 2011
    Sooooo bloooody gooood. I had zero expectations going into this film so that may given this a 'pleasant surprise' feel but it was a genuinely refreshing twist to a done to death idea. The star power was strong but they all seemed happy to play their part in the story, no one stood out and that added value......
  20. Dec 20, 2011
    Hollywood brain-washing for the masses. Anyone that doubts mandatory vaccination, quarantine, military on the streets, is a low-life conpiracy nut case out to make a profit. Ok there are some big names, but it really doesn't gel together very well. It genuinely feels like a movie made to acclimatise the general population into believing that bio-weapons don't exist, and that the government and its agencies are doing their best to fight strange new forms of disease that may appear out of nowhere. Directed by the guy who made "Traffic" in 2000, that begins with a truck full of boxes, all labelled 9-11, for some reason ... Expand
  21. Jan 12, 2012
    A brilliant movie that doesn't feel the need to jump on the 3D bandwagon and use a bunch of Hollywood action scenes. It gives a clear look at how humanity would react under such circumstances and is engaging right up until the end.
  22. Jan 13, 2013
    The scariest thing about this film is how realistic it is and that the world could crash and burn just like it did here. It's interesting watching society fall and panic set in, and lead by an all-star cast it was quite enjoyable to watch! Perhaps not the most exciting of films but that's made up for with a great storyline and it certainly holds your attention right up to the reveal of why the infection was spread in the first place! Overall a great film I would certainly recommend :) Expand
  23. Jan 8, 2013
    If you are someone who cannot stand most movies because all the inaccuracies, over-dramatizations and oversimplifications. If you feel like it is impossible to enjoy much of anything now unless you take some pill that gives an IQ of 20 for a few hours, chances are you will love this movie. It is a plausible and all too real scenario that is frightening as no other movie like it has ever been because it is that close to reality.

The CDC actually helped in the writing and production of this movie so you can literally have wikipedia open on a laptop and not be able to nitpick it. The movie makes use of the acting talent it has in a way that big budget joyrides never do because the characters are not having spontaneous crisis or love at first sight (i.e. no cliche and unrealistic developments). The complexity inherent to all people is hinted at and appropriately left to be an open book without easy answers as far as character development goes. Best of all the film did not skimp on some of the epic "money shot" moments (I won't give them away with descriptions). I will say that careful use of expensive and large-scale shots had a real "less is more" Jaws-like effect of hinting at an even larger full scope.

Excellent movie that is courageously fighting the status quo where no one cares about accuracy or plausibility so long as they get loud bangs and bright colors. This is the kind of movie that will actually be watched years from now, simply because people will be more educated on average.
  24. Sep 26, 2013
    The best virus epidemic movie there is, Soderbergh scores again with this star-studded thriller with a very logical explanation of the disease; a fantastic, heart-pounding score; and believable characters. Everything in this movie feels right, and very carefully thought out.
  25. Aug 6, 2014
    Contagion has a realistic perspective on how the world would react if there was a global epidemic. The
    movie is shown like a documentary on how to stop a lethal virus. The cast is terrific and the movie is
    very intriguing, everyone should see this movie.

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Oct 17, 2011
    A starkly effective ensemble drama which could well do for the sniffles what Jaws did for great whites.
    Like much of Soderbergh's recent work, Contagion feels a little sterile, more like a cinematic exercise than something with blood pumping through it. It's certainly high-minded - it might be the most high-minded disaster movie ever made.
  3. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Sep 12, 2011
    Contagion is serious, precise, frightening, emotionally enveloping.