Contraband

5.9

1. Jan 13, 2012
    Though, I think the beginning is a little slow, once the ball gets rolling you can't wait to see how it pans out. Mark and Kate did great with the script they were given. And it was an enjoyable movie to watch.
  2. Oct 8, 2012
    This movie was actually pretty good. Although right from the beginning i was able to see exactly what was going to happen as far as the plot is concerned. Still a pretty good movie with good amounts of action and suspense.
  3. Jan 15, 2012
    It's no work of art, and it cheats a bit in its storytelling, but it's a fun film - exactly what you're looking for on a Friday night in January. Ben Foster is always perfect in this type of role, incidentally.
  4. Jan 18, 2012
    A former smuggler (Mark Wahlberg), a move away from life, now runs his own security firm, and a beautiful wife (Kate Beckinsale), and three great kids, life can not be any better s. Until his wife's brother, is a smuggler, and a work of messes. This put him and his family, dangerous drug dealer (Giovanni Ribisi) in danger. So, now back to its old ways of the old smuggler order to save hisA former smuggler (Mark Wahlberg), a move away from life, now runs his own security firm, and a beautiful wife (Kate Beckinsale), and three great kids, life can not be any better s. Until his wife's brother, is a smuggler, and a work of messes. This put him and his family, dangerous drug dealer (Giovanni Ribisi) in danger. So, now back to its old ways of the old smuggler order to save his family, but he is, or will be over his head?

A pretty entertaining crime thriller. Mark Wahlberg is the title role, a tough guy like the old style. Kate Beckinsale as his wife alright, but it was not strong enough. Giovanni Ribisi is evil, it was awesome, enjoy it just does not like him. Lucas Haas and Ben Foster are also too good. In addition, a crime drama, really hard to satisfy you. Predicable moments, but it can still be entertaining.
    You can watch it here momomesh.com
  5. Feb 7, 2012
    Great thriller one of the greatest movies so far this year. Mark's character was well played in this movie. Great plot, action and great everything..
  6. Jan 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The next movie I'm reviewing is the movie "Contraband," starring Mark Wahlberg, Giovanni Ribisi, and Kate Beckinsale. I had two thoughts about this movie when I first seen it. I thought that, it could be a good movie or be one of those movies were your like: "I've seen this before and I know what's going to happen."

This movie is about a man that has his family threatened and he's doing what ever it takes to make things right even if he has to go back to his old ways!

Honestly, this is a good movie. I would definitely say this is worth seeing in the movie theaters. I enjoyed this movie. The movie to me felt real. I say real in the since that I could see this happening. Nothing in this movie feels far fetched and I like that. I think that is what gives this movie its breathe fresh air. I feel as though Mark Wahlberg and Giovanni Ribisi do a great job on the acting tip.

Giovanni Ribisi is a actor that I would like to see in more movies. In any movie that I've seen him in, he really makes me feel his character. In this movie he plays a ruthless character. There's certain parts in the movie were he's kind of just sitting there staring at whatever and he just sells you on the ruthlessness his character is suppose to provide for the audience. He does a great job.

I give this movie the rating of 8 out of 10. If you have a couple extra dollars on you and you want to see a movie. You have my permission to spend your money on this movie.
  7. Feb 24, 2013
    I have to admit I quite enjoyed this trip into the shady world of smuggling. Most of the characters were quite believable and there weren’t too many plot holes that made the whole thing ridiculous. I also liked that the filmmakers kept the action sequences quite realistic (loved the shoot-out in Panama). As far as performances go, I thought it was pretty much run of the mill stuff for mostI have to admit I quite enjoyed this trip into the shady world of smuggling. Most of the characters were quite believable and there weren’t too many plot holes that made the whole thing ridiculous. I also liked that the filmmakers kept the action sequences quite realistic (loved the shoot-out in Panama). As far as performances go, I thought it was pretty much run of the mill stuff for most of them. Kate Beckinsale was a bit underused and Giovanni Ribisi played the loathsome Briggs very well. I guess this ‘by the book’ thriller was never going to win any prizes, but I did find it entertaining and that’s all you can ask of a film of this ilk.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED My score: 7.4/10.
  8. Feb 22, 2013
    Mark Wahlberg is certainly no genius, but when it comes to action movies, he's on top of his game. I wish I could say Contraband was an amazing film, but it was your typical, shoot 'em up action thriller, although the plot was better than most. A lot of critics bashed this film because of its predictability, but what do you expect from these types of films? The story, about an ex-smuggler,Mark Wahlberg is certainly no genius, but when it comes to action movies, he's on top of his game. I wish I could say Contraband was an amazing film, but it was your typical, shoot 'em up action thriller, although the plot was better than most. A lot of critics bashed this film because of its predictability, but what do you expect from these types of films? The story, about an ex-smuggler, returning to his old ways to pay off an unexpected debt, was easy to follow and full of cool action sequences. That's really all you can ask for from these films and I rather enjoyed it. If you don't like action movies, don't watch them! If you do like them, Contraband is a pretty good one and few action stars bring to the table the experience that Whalberg has. If you're looking for something that you don't really have to think about, that will hold your attention, and kill a couple of hours, go with Contraband. Expand
  9. Jan 24, 2012
    Nowhere near perfection but really enjoyable. Way better than Max Payne and some of his others but Wahlberg does a good job and Beckinsale is still smokin hot. Yes it is cliched throughout with the heist elements. Foster also did a good job as always and Ribisi was a little disappointing.
  10. Sep 8, 2013
    I wasn't expecting Contraband to deliver too much and I ended up being pleasantly surprised. You can always count on Mark Wahlberg too deliver a steely, non-nonsense, man-caught-in-a-drama type performance. I'm a big fan of Ben Foster, although I think he has had better roles than this one, and with Ribisi, the two provide strong counter foils to Wahlberg, who does what he does best. KateI wasn't expecting Contraband to deliver too much and I ended up being pleasantly surprised. You can always count on Mark Wahlberg too deliver a steely, non-nonsense, man-caught-in-a-drama type performance. I'm a big fan of Ben Foster, although I think he has had better roles than this one, and with Ribisi, the two provide strong counter foils to Wahlberg, who does what he does best. Kate Beckinsdale is really just window dressing caught up in the drama.

Character development isn't top priority and the film suffers because of it but in the end for a short and punchy heist film, that gives an interesting insight into the world of international smuggling, you could do worse.
  11. May 5, 2012
    What Wahlberg had going in the 2007 movie Shooter, he has going for him here. You may have a vague and general idea of where the movie might be going but you don't have time to really predict what comes next after most every scene. The story is not complicated, just fast paced and loaded with material, like Shooter, and the twists that punctuate the whole story are unpredictable just as inWhat Wahlberg had going in the 2007 movie Shooter, he has going for him here. You may have a vague and general idea of where the movie might be going but you don't have time to really predict what comes next after most every scene. The story is not complicated, just fast paced and loaded with material, like Shooter, and the twists that punctuate the whole story are unpredictable just as in Shooter. The official movie outline gives you a fair idea of the type of movie it is.

Very good cast. Giovanni Ribisi plays the bad guy very well; I say this because if you despise the character, as you most certainly will, then he's done his job well. He has. Then you have J.K. Simmons, who has never failed to deliver a good performance in any of the numerous movies I've seen him in, still keeping that record intact. He plays Captain Camp, a crusty and tough cargo ship captain who has every reason to suspect the notorious smuggler Chris Faraday, played by Mark Wahlberg; what you don't expect is what he does about it and how Faraday turns the table on him. That was good writing on the part of either Aaron Guzikowski or the writers of the original 2008 Icelandic/German/Dutch production "Reykjavik-Rotterdam"; I can't tell who came up with it.

Ben Foster has in my opinion the most difficult part to play as Sebastian. I don't want to spoil things by saying more other than he delivers a good performance, not unlike a character he has often played. Kate Bekinsale plays the wife of Wahlberg, a recalcitrant victim if ever there was one (perhaps Jennifer Lopez in 2002 "Enough" was a tougher one) and she complements Walberg's role quite well. The actors I mentioned and a few more were all quite busy as this movie has lots of action meat. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the movie, and I recommend it to my friends.
  12. Aug 16, 2012
    A better film than I was expecting. The solid performances pretty much are what carries the movie forward rather than the plot, which isn't really special. I also thought it was weird how 80-80% of the film consisted of the camera quickly zooming in on a character's face when he or she was talking. Other than that, a solid heist flick.
  13. Dec 22, 2012
    It was a good movie but nothing special. Im not going to say what happened but the ending was kind of disappointing. If your looking for something that will be a classic this is not it but good enough to watch.
  14. Sep 26, 2013
    Good attempt at a thrilling movie. Lots of action, suspense, and heart-pounding moments. Mark Wahlberg puts on a good performance, and so this movie will be a good addition to his filmography.

1. Reviewed by: Jamie Graham
    Mar 18, 2012
    Don't expect glamorous outlaws, sunny locales and exotic masterplans – this low-key thriller lifts the rusted lid off an all-too-real world of despairing criminality.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Mar 18, 2012
    It's a thriller in which the twists become so absurd that it becomes a kind of caper, but without the humour.
  3. Reviewed by: Scott Tobias
    Jan 24, 2012
    Nothing about it lingers, not even the sulfuric stench of a bum scene or a particularly hammy performance.