8.0

1. RickG.
    Jul 10, 2004
    This is a much better documentary than "Farhenheit 9/11", but will obviously never get the distribution that film has gotten because it's being done by a young female director and it wasn't submitted to the MPAA for a rating. I personally don't see why it wouldn't get an R rating at worst. The documentary is about Al-Jaazera's coverage of the U.S.-U.K. invasion of This is a much better documentary than "Farhenheit 9/11", but will obviously never get the distribution that film has gotten because it's being done by a young female director and it wasn't submitted to the MPAA for a rating. I personally don't see why it wouldn't get an R rating at worst. The documentary is about Al-Jaazera's coverage of the U.S.-U.K. invasion of Iraq and the harsh crticism it has received here in the U.S. Unlike Moore's overwhelmingly one-sided screed against the Bush administration, here we see U.S. military officers battling it out in interviews with Al-Jaazera journalists. This movie depicts a side of the Arab world we don't want to see here in the U.S. There is a bil-lingual secular intelligensia who are much more informed of the world than the average American, or even the average American intellectual. One good scene in the film is of an Al-Jazeera crewmember who says that what U.S. policy in the region is doing is making it more difficult for voices of moderation like his to have a platform, as increasinly the voice and violence of Islamic fundamentalism is seen as by the Arab masses as a way to combat U.S. dominance of the Middle East. The movies best scenes are when Marine Lt. Josh Rushing, who was a Central Command press officer during the invasion of Iraq last year, has it out with the documentary's star, Al-Jaazera producer Hassan Ibrahim. Ibrahim must constantly remind Rushing to imagine how the footage of injured and dead Iraqis will impact the average Arab viewer. The film's best scene is when Rushing admits that Al-Jazeera's footage of injured and dead U.S. soldiers had a different impact on him than the images of injured and dead Iraqis did. In other words, the injured and dead U.S. soldiers he saw in the satellite channel were his own people and the injured and dead Iraqis weren't. Ibrahim argues with his fellow journalists that he believes the American people will defeat the American Empire. He's right. And the culture of Al-Jazeera will one day defeat the culture of Islamic fundamentalism and dictatorial governments in the Arab world. Expand
  2. sharonh.
    Jun 29, 2005
    This documentary about Al Jazeera shows us the other side of this horrible war. The human cost, the lies, the misrepresentation, and the conflicts. The strongest contradiction seen is that they are doing a much better of representing democratic ideals of free speech and objectivity than anything coming out of the American press.
  3. PaulG.
    Jun 18, 2004
    Just saw it this evening and think it's pretty good. I looked around at some of the other movie websites. It seems that there are many people who still watch US TV news as if it has anything much to do with what is actually happening. Seeing Rummy complain about the "lies" of Arab TV is astonishing when there isn't much of anything that comes out of his mouth that is true. Just saw it this evening and think it's pretty good. I looked around at some of the other movie websites. It seems that there are many people who still watch US TV news as if it has anything much to do with what is actually happening. Seeing Rummy complain about the "lies" of Arab TV is astonishing when there isn't much of anything that comes out of his mouth that is true. Everyone in the Bush admin is a liar, from the top all the way to the bottom. Even if Arab TV colors the news, as Rummy states, at least the majority of it is true, while that of US journalism is, for the most part, not worth wasting the paper to print it on or the power to broadcast it. And anyone who compares Moore with the journalism of Al Jazeera is sadly mis- or disinformed. Moore tries hard but still misses the big picture. Free Mumia! Expand
  4. JudyC.
    Aug 20, 2004
    Required viewing by all eligible voters prior to the November 2 election for a new president!!!
  5. AlexanderP.
    Jun 12, 2004
    The kind of film pre-911 Michael Moore would like to have made, but couldn't. It shows how there is an arab intelligentsia and how close it is to any group of smart folks anywhere. Everybody exposed to the propaganda of war should see how the other side works.
  6. RussellJ.
    Nov 20, 2004
    This is the chronic movie. Deema is the straight bomb as well. Funny that the New Republic gave it the worst review. How interesting, how bizarre??? The journalists that got waxed by the man are currently suing the US gov too. Really ill stuff, this.
  7. TracyR.
    Jun 13, 2004
    An excellent documentary every American should see.
  8. MiriamA.
    Jun 21, 2004
    This film offers American movie goers an opportunity to see, hear and feel what millions of Arabs think and say about the US war to Liberate Iraq. A fine piece of work that should be seen by millions. Well done!
  9. JohnL.
    Jun 30, 2004
    Enjoyed the documentary as it went from pre war thru to toppling the bust. It is more balanced than any of the embedded reporting from any of US network. If it erred on the side of what Rummy said, it is understandable as there were plenty of US network coverage. On that note, I gave it a 9 and not 10. The most comforting thought is the comment about the American Constitution, and the Enjoyed the documentary as it went from pre war thru to toppling the bust. It is more balanced than any of the embedded reporting from any of US network. If it erred on the side of what Rummy said, it is understandable as there were plenty of US network coverage. On that note, I gave it a 9 and not 10. The most comforting thought is the comment about the American Constitution, and the reporter's belief that the American people will make the necessary correction. And, the American people will. Expand
  10. RebeccaG.
    Jul 23, 2004
    Unlike our current administration, this film is not for the either/or, KISS crowd. It offers a complex view of both Arab and US reporting--without demonizing anyone and without a hint of the simplistic, holier-than-thou arrogance that has become the norm in these reactionary times.
  11. PrateekG.
    Feb 25, 2005
    I loved it. We hear all of these bad things about Al Jazeera but after seeing this movie I think that they are a legitimate media outlet. I really hope that the U.S. government makes a strong effort to appear on the channel because it seems that they are one of the few mediums not controlled by government controlled into the islamic world. I think that Lt. John Rushing could be the proxy I loved it. We hear all of these bad things about Al Jazeera but after seeing this movie I think that they are a legitimate media outlet. I really hope that the U.S. government makes a strong effort to appear on the channel because it seems that they are one of the few mediums not controlled by government controlled into the islamic world. I think that Lt. John Rushing could be the proxy for the feelings of most of us Americans towards this conflict. This also shows the dedication of the reporters for Al Jazeera. I did find it interesting that the Al Jazeera reporters were visibly dissapointed by the lack of a response by the Iraqi army. I suppose that the American media would be just as dissapointed if not moreso had our army not performed well. Expand
  12. ErwinK.
    Sep 16, 2004
    Thomas R. What is this rubbish you are spewing out about Al-J broadcasting the message of terrorists? In case you didn't realise all of the western media broadcast those messages as well by using footage from Al-J. Can you accuse CNN as being a terrorist sympathiser because it publishes a photo of a hostage with a gun to his head?

1. News management is the main issue. Control Room shows how coverage is tailored to fit the audience, both by al-Jazeera and its Western counterparts.
  2. Think of Control Room as a through-the-looking-glass movie. Like Lewis Carroll's Alice, viewers of this remarkable documentary will be disconcerted by a glimpse of a world where everything is reversed.
  3. Enlightening, if structurally relaxed documentary.