8.1

1. Nov 8, 2014
    Good god this film is creepy. Forget actual horror films, I can safely tell you that this was scarier than any horror film I have seen since it's release. Aside from the near mental scarring I underwent, this film was fantastic, it contains some of the best animation I have ever seen, and one of the most compelling heart warming stories. Just don't watch it at night.
  2. Sep 29, 2014
    "Coraline" is one of my all-time favorites. I've seen the movie over fifty times because I would watch it nearly every day when I was younger, and I've read the novel five times. The animation is twisted yet breathtaking, and the 3D is innovative and absorbing. The plot is very original, intriguing, and even a little scary which makes for a thrilling experience.
  3. Sep 26, 2014
    This is an excellent movie. It deviates from the book slightly but it is at the core still true to the story being not only a faithful adaption of a book but a great film in its own right. The story is really good with some great morals and is well paced and put together. The characters for the most part are likeable and relatable. The stop motion animation is fantastic and there is some great directing in regards to angles and lighting. The story is a little too streamlined at times and certain elements are added to the film that I could’ve done without but they don’t take away from the experience too much as the film is still faithful to the book and a great adaptation. This film made me feel like a kid again and this one of those great kids movies that children should see (although they should read the book first). Kids aren’t the only who will enjoy this adults will enjoy at as well for being well written and well put together. This is the first film from Liakala Studios and for a first film its really impressive. Cannot wait to see what this studio does next because this is a great film that I’d highly recommend watching if you haven’t seen it already. Expand
  4. Sep 26, 2014
    this movie continues to scare me and gives me nightmares i still think about it. from the director of Tim Burton's Nightmare before Christmas and James and the giant peach). Basically Henry Selick directs the same exact motion in animation as Nightmare Before Christmas but i am not sure if he's a copy cat of Tim Burton or if he wants to do the same thing as he did in 1993. Lets Talk about the movie Dakota Fanning is Caroline which she has amazing performance as Caroline, including the rest of the cast. its a creepy eye button film that has Henry Selick's direction where it needs goes it has a complete imagination from the director. ( Henry Selick is the perfect animation director keep doing good films). Grade A+ Expand
  5. Aug 23, 2014
    Una película hermosa, con una animación increíble, una magnifica historia y trama, con una gran dirección, una película entretenida que te mantiene al tanto.
  6. Aug 15, 2014
    This stop motion animation creates an eerie but unimaginable visuals, sinisterly dark and extraordinary with a fantastic plot, by far one of my favorite children movies of all time.
  7. Aug 1, 2014
    I was convinced this was Tim Burton's work. The darkness yet playfulness of the film's plot had me, this was the purpose, thinking I had just seen paranormal activity. The choice to do it in stop motion was probably the only method that could have to make the plot fit into a film. The story is so original it's insightful. And the visuals of stop motion looked time consuming and amazing to look at. The film was both weird, funny, and terrifying. Expand
  8. Jul 15, 2014
    Coraline: 7 out of 10: Whom is this movie for is a question that dashed through my mind while watching it. It is too scary and adult for most children. The film is full of High Octane Nightmare Fuel and retired adult entertainment stars with naked elderly puppet breasts... come to think of it that is High Octane Nightmare Fuel as well.

As for the adults in the audience, I fear that in
    my case the film was too distant. I never felt emotionally attached to our plucky protagonist. In part because she is not a very nice girl (nor terribly plucky now I think about it) and partially because the film seemed to place her and her predicament at a distance.

On the other hand, I was floored by the sheer artistry of the film. Visually this is simply one of the most stunning films I have ever seen. Director Henry Selick who helmed such stop motion masterpieces as James and the Giant Peach and The Nightmare Before Christmas has taken his art to a new level. Words simply cannot describe the visual delights that lie inside Coraline.

While I found the story somewhat distancing I also recognize the depth of the tale. Coraline’s two universes mirror each other in a complicated web rather than a simply black and white as one might expect. The ocean here may not be that wide but it is amazingly deep. To bad the water was a little cold for this swimmer.
  9. May 24, 2014
    Having never read the novel, I just wanted to view this movie as soon as possible. Now I am happy that this movie carries a great message and also great animation. It is one of the best stop-animation I have seen and also a best dark fantasy animation. The originality of the plot and the beautiful animation may entertain the audience of every age group.
  10. Apr 3, 2014
    Breathtaking images, a hell of a story and a kind of a dark twist that just adds to the quality of this masterpiece. candy for the eye and a captivating story that puts you in the universe/fantasy of coraline. This again isn't just a movie, it's a masterwork in its genre. It had that same feeling as nightmare before christmas but didn't have all the songs (I'm not a fan of musicals,...), so for me it was that much better!
    A must watch for everyone (I say this a lot), but this is one of those animated pictures that even adults will fully enjoy!

Just my opinion
  11. Feb 17, 2014
    Coraline has imagination, a good look and premise, however, all this is useless when trying to connect with the kids seems unsuccessful.
    Over the history Coraline does not hold you, the movie walk, walk and walk, and when we realize, it does not show us anything mature, it's quite the opposite actually, Coraline is just a child who repents of something desired.
  12. Jan 26, 2014
    Wonderful movie based on great reimagining of Alice in Wonderland. Perfect animation accompanied by stunningly atmospheric soundtrack. Great characters. I was really impressed.
  13. Jan 14, 2014
    This movie excceded my expectation
    Is one of the few good animated films
    Mysterious, interesting and well made.
    I think this Is a simple but a good film.
  14. Dec 25, 2013
    "Coraline" was a horror movie for kids. Not a great mix in some movies like "Munchies" or "Critters", but this was a movie that didn't just have a great plot, script, imagination and production, but also inspired kids to be brave and to stand their ground, while being fun in the process.
  15. Nov 16, 2013
    Coraline is a spectacular stop action piece.
    The movie is perfectly paced, and well designed. The concept is good, and the animation is spellbinding. The result is a very entertaining animated tale with a Tim Burton twist.
  16. Jun 30, 2013
    Coraline is a masterpiece with insightful and clever stop-motion animation that will entertain you like never before. The 3D is absorbing and intelligent, Athena wise 3D use. The plot is original and riveting, with a pleasant and fascinating ending that you will never expect it coming. Coraline easily is imaginative, powerful and surprisingly, one of the greatest works done in a long time.
  17. Jun 26, 2013
    Many reviewers said that Coraline is boring and dull, as it turns out, Coraline is one of my favorite animated movies of all time, it is original and so meant for kids, it deals with a lot of mature themes (murder, child abuse) it is visually dazzling and the plot is enchanting, original and thrilling, this is one of the best animated movies ever made. I Love Coraline.
  18. May 17, 2013
    "Coraline" is described in one word, which is "Magical", but to be fair, it is more than that, wonderful and amazing, beautiful and new "original", it is creepy and scary but it is still my favorite movie of the year, my favorite animation, and one of my favorite movies of all time PERIOD.
  19. Jan 12, 2013
    Very good movie that combines animation with terror child.
  20. Zal
    Dec 14, 2012
    Coraline was one of my favorite books in middle school. When I heard that there was going to be a movie version, I was excited. And the movie did not disappoint.

The story has an Alice in Wonderland vibe since it involves a young girl ending up in topsy turvy word. It reminds me of Corpse Bride in the designs of the two worlds where the real world is grey and drab while the alternate
    world is colorful and fantastical. I love the design of the Other Mother's world. It's bright and colorful and everything is made to please Coraline. However, as Coraline starts to resist, everything becomes darker and the Other Mother looks less and less human. And I don't know about anyone else, but the climax scared me to death.

I also enjoyed the characters. Coraline is a believable kid. She's kooky and weird and has strange taste in fashion. She gets on her parents nerves but she just wants them to to pay attention to her. The parents are also believable. There are times when my parents are so wrapped up in their work that they don't have time for me. They aren't bad people. They're just unbelivably stressed. The Other Mother is freaky as hell. She really seems like the kind of mother we all wish we had. She's funny and loving and gives you whatever you want. Too bad she's doing it so that she can ensnare and kill you. The other characters are mostly hit or miss.

Fans of the book might not like the changes made, but I think there were for the better. The book lacked detailed descriptions about Coraline's appearance. I really liked the blue hair. It fits her character. I also like the addition of Wybie. While he wasn't a HUGE part of the plot, they made his character relevant. And thank god they didn't make him a love interest.

I can understand why people wouldn't like it as much. It does have a lot of slow moments, but I liked those scenes because they were used to show us what kind of person Coraline is and about her relationship with her parents and Wybie.

I'm not sure if it will appeal to Tim Burton fans. It doesn't strike the same balance between macabre, comedy, and whimsy, but it's not trying to be The Nightmare Before Christmas. The only things it has in common with it is stopmotion and director Henry Selick. If you like stopmotion, this is a good movie to see.

And if you liked this movie, watch Laika's other major stopmotion film, ParaNorman.
  21. Dec 3, 2012
    My favorite movie ever. I loved the story and its dark humor, the animation, the lightning was beautiful and most of all the voice acting (mostly from Teri Hatcher, she was the best!). I can't believe this movie would get bad reviews! :)
  22. Nov 12, 2012
    There's nothing like being led into another world.
  23. Sep 8, 2012
    Ok, so, my family and I decided to go to the movies, just to do something fun. We decide on Coraline... because it was, apparently, the only family movie available... so, we go in and sit down. Not even halfway through the movie, my parents ask me if I wanna leave. The only reason I said "no," was to see how much worse the movie could get. I was absolutely shocked. It was one of the worst, if not, the worst movie I have ever seen! I don't get all the critics making a big deal over this saying,"Great movie! Blah Blah Blah." Neither my Dad, Mom, or my sister enjoyed it. What a disappointment! It was too weird, the story made no sense. The only thing decent, was the 3D, otherwise, it sucks. 2/10 from me. Expand
  24. May 24, 2012
    I can understand the overall story very easily so this is really perfect for children aged 4-6. I love the creativity and the imagination of the whole movie. The graphics are great, so visually it has impact to people watching it. We can also learn something from this movie which I can relate to. An excellent movie for all ages....
  25. May 4, 2012
    I saw this movie with the family, and there wasn't a single one of us who enjoyed it. Very disappointing given the hype about it. The story was boring, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, regardless of age.
  26. Feb 15, 2012
    A masterpiece i have watched this movie at least 25 times the originality is amazing. They changed things from the book for the better things actually seem to come together better in the movie then the book which never happens. The claymation and voice acting are done amazingly and you can relate to the main character thoughout the whole movie all and all this is what movies should be like in the future A+++ Expand
  27. Dec 18, 2011
    Henry Selick takes Neil Gaiman's imaginative story and makes wonders with it with thrills, dark humor, great stop motion animation, and a cool original score make Coraline one of the best animated films ever made in my opinion. I give this movie 93%.
  28. Oct 28, 2011
    "Coraline" is very basic in terms of story structure or voice acting. But it's the originality that pushes this visually magnificent movie into the stage of performances. Overall a well-made animation that audiences of every age will definitely enjoy.
  29. May 13, 2011
    It's surprisingly dark to be called a family film but it seems to go well but is could be better than it actually is that said it was one of my favourites from 2009.
  30. Nov 2, 2010
    A very very beautiful work of art in the form of a movie. That is the best way I can describe it. This movie is dark and at the same time offers the viewer the chance to experience a wide variety of emotions as the movie progresses. I think the story and the pacing are well done and the voice actors did a fantastic job matching the animated characters. This movie is a must buy for fans of this sub genre of animated movies. Expand
  31. Oct 29, 2010
    this movie is by far an excellent stop-motion movie for kids and their families with the help of the supporting acting, nice visuals, and very amazing characters.
  32. Aug 26, 2010
    I thought Coraline was going to have very scary moments - but I was wrong. Coraline is a great movie, thrilling, exciting, everything! You have to see it. PG is reccomended, Coraline may create nightmares on most sensitive (New York Post, thanks) children. Coraline, a great movie deserves a great review.
  33. Aug 13, 2010
    Coraline really provides an interesting story with some very nice visuals! It is very engaging and it definitely involves the viewer to figure out what is happening out. Visually, there are some beautiful scenes, and besides the unusual animation style it is still captivating, but nowhere nearly as beautiful as some new animated films, such as "Up" or "Wall-E". Nevertheless, a very nice animated film. Expand

This is perhaps the most effective 3-D movie I have ever seen, with a sophisticated, involving story that will appeal to many adults. The only reservation I have is with the PG rating, which seems too lenient for a story that may give very young children - particularly if they are sensitive - nightmares.
    The combination of 3-D photography and puppet-animation - centered on actual figures designed by hand and manipulated frame by frame - creates a world that's dense, active and fluid: a sensory Jacuzzi.
  3. Reviewed by: Jenni Miller
    The story is creepy fun and 100-percent different than whatever other crap is flooding the February market.