8.2

1. Oct 28, 2011
    "Coraline" is very basic in terms of story structure or voice acting. But it's the originality that pushes this visually magnificent movie into the stage of performances. Overall a well-made animation that audiences of every age will definitely enjoy.
  2. Sep 26, 2014
    this movie continues to scare me and gives me nightmares i still think about it. from the director of Tim Burton's Nightmare before Christmas and James and the giant peach). Basically Henry Selick directs the same exact motion in animation as Nightmare Before Christmas but i am not sure if he's a copy cat of Tim Burton or if he wants to do the same thing as he did in 1993. Lets Talkthis movie continues to scare me and gives me nightmares i still think about it. from the director of Tim Burton's Nightmare before Christmas and James and the giant peach). Basically Henry Selick directs the same exact motion in animation as Nightmare Before Christmas but i am not sure if he's a copy cat of Tim Burton or if he wants to do the same thing as he did in 1993. Lets Talk about the movie Dakota Fanning is Caroline which she has amazing performance as Caroline, including the rest of the cast. its a creepy eye button film that has Henry Selick's direction where it needs goes it has a complete imagination from the director. ( Henry Selick is the perfect animation director keep doing good films). Grade A+ Expand
  3. Oct 29, 2010
    this movie is by far an excellent stop-motion movie for kids and their families with the help of the supporting acting, nice visuals, and very amazing characters.
  4. Dec 18, 2011
    Henry Selick takes Neil Gaiman's imaginative story and makes wonders with it with thrills, dark humor, great stop motion animation, and a cool original score make Coraline one of the best animated films ever made in my opinion. I give this movie 93%.
  5. Aug 1, 2014
    I was convinced this was Tim Burton's work. The darkness yet playfulness of the film's plot had me, this was the purpose, thinking I had just seen paranormal activity. The choice to do it in stop motion was probably the only method that could have to make the plot fit into a film. The story is so original it's insightful. And the visuals of stop motion looked time consuming and amazing toI was convinced this was Tim Burton's work. The darkness yet playfulness of the film's plot had me, this was the purpose, thinking I had just seen paranormal activity. The choice to do it in stop motion was probably the only method that could have to make the plot fit into a film. The story is so original it's insightful. And the visuals of stop motion looked time consuming and amazing to look at. The film was both weird, funny, and terrifying. Expand
  6. Sep 26, 2014
    This is an excellent movie. It deviates from the book slightly but it is at the core still true to the story being not only a faithful adaption of a book but a great film in its own right. The story is really good with some great morals and is well paced and put together. The characters for the most part are likeable and relatable. The stop motion animation is fantastic and there is someThis is an excellent movie. It deviates from the book slightly but it is at the core still true to the story being not only a faithful adaption of a book but a great film in its own right. The story is really good with some great morals and is well paced and put together. The characters for the most part are likeable and relatable. The stop motion animation is fantastic and there is some great directing in regards to angles and lighting. The story is a little too streamlined at times and certain elements are added to the film that I could’ve done without but they don’t take away from the experience too much as the film is still faithful to the book and a great adaptation. This film made me feel like a kid again and this one of those great kids movies that children should see (although they should read the book first). Kids aren’t the only who will enjoy this adults will enjoy at as well for being well written and well put together. This is the first film from Liakala Studios and for a first film its really impressive. Cannot wait to see what this studio does next because this is a great film that I’d highly recommend watching if you haven’t seen it already. Expand
  7. Nov 16, 2013
    Coraline is a spectacular stop action piece.
    The movie is perfectly paced, and well designed. The concept is good, and the animation is spellbinding. The result is a very entertaining animated tale with a Tim Burton twist.
  8. May 23, 2015
    Interesting premise,great voice acting and great graphics are probably the best things of Henry Selick's Coraline.The atmosphere is dark and the movie is entertaining.An enjoyable movie but he's easy to forget.
  9. Jan 12, 2013
    Very good movie that combines animation with terror child.
  10. Sep 29, 2014
    "Coraline" is one of my all-time favorites. I've seen the movie over fifty times because I would watch it nearly every day when I was younger, and I've read the novel five times. The animation is twisted yet breathtaking, and the 3D is innovative and absorbing. The plot is very original, intriguing, and even a little scary which makes for a thrilling experience.
  11. Aug 13, 2010
    Coraline really provides an interesting story with some very nice visuals! It is very engaging and it definitely involves the viewer to figure out what is happening out. Visually, there are some beautiful scenes, and besides the unusual animation style it is still captivating, but nowhere nearly as beautiful as some new animated films, such as "Up" or "Wall-E". Nevertheless, a very niceCoraline really provides an interesting story with some very nice visuals! It is very engaging and it definitely involves the viewer to figure out what is happening out. Visually, there are some beautiful scenes, and besides the unusual animation style it is still captivating, but nowhere nearly as beautiful as some new animated films, such as "Up" or "Wall-E". Nevertheless, a very nice animated film. Expand
  12. May 24, 2012
    I can understand the overall story very easily so this is really perfect for children aged 4-6. I love the creativity and the imagination of the whole movie. The graphics are great, so visually it has impact to people watching it. We can also learn something from this movie which I can relate to. An excellent movie for all ages....
  13. Apr 6, 2015
    a great amazing movie with a good story and characters. this is one of my animated film of all time. I really think this movie is up there with all the Pixar film not cars 2.
  14. Jun 30, 2013
    Coraline is a masterpiece with insightful and clever stop-motion animation that will entertain you like never before. The 3D is absorbing and intelligent, Athena wise 3D use. The plot is original and riveting, with a pleasant and fascinating ending that you will never expect it coming. Coraline easily is imaginative, powerful and surprisingly, one of the greatest works done in a long time.
  15. Nov 12, 2012
    There's nothing like being led into another world.
  16. May 17, 2013
    "Coraline" is described in one word, which is "Magical", but to be fair, it is more than that, wonderful and amazing, beautiful and new "original", it is creepy and scary but it is still my favorite movie of the year, my favorite animation, and one of my favorite movies of all time PERIOD.
  17. Jul 15, 2014
    Coraline: 7 out of 10: Whom is this movie for is a question that dashed through my mind while watching it. It is too scary and adult for most children. The film is full of High Octane Nightmare Fuel and retired adult entertainment stars with naked elderly puppet breasts... come to think of it that is High Octane Nightmare Fuel as well.

As for the adults in the audience, I fear that in

As for the adults in the audience, I fear that in my case the film was too distant. I never felt emotionally attached to our plucky protagonist. In part because she is not a very nice girl (nor terribly plucky now I think about it) and partially because the film seemed to place her and her predicament at a distance.

On the other hand, I was floored by the sheer artistry of the film. Visually this is simply one of the most stunning films I have ever seen. Director Henry Selick who helmed such stop motion masterpieces as James and the Giant Peach and The Nightmare Before Christmas has taken his art to a new level. Words simply cannot describe the visual delights that lie inside Coraline.

While I found the story somewhat distancing I also recognize the depth of the tale. Coraline’s two universes mirror each other in a complicated web rather than a simply black and white as one might expect. The ocean here may not be that wide but it is amazingly deep. To bad the water was a little cold for this swimmer.
  18. Jun 26, 2013
    Many reviewers said that Coraline is boring and dull, as it turns out, Coraline is one of my favorite animated movies of all time, it is original and so meant for kids, it deals with a lot of mature themes (murder, child abuse) it is visually dazzling and the plot is enchanting, original and thrilling, this is one of the best animated movies ever made. I Love Coraline.
  19. Feb 17, 2014
    Coraline has imagination, a good look and premise, however, all this is useless when trying to connect with the kids seems unsuccessful.
    Over the history Coraline does not hold you, the movie walk, walk and walk, and when we realize, it does not show us anything mature, it's quite the opposite actually, Coraline is just a child who repents of something desired.
  20. Zal
    Dec 14, 2012
    Coraline was one of my favorite books in middle school. When I heard that there was going to be a movie version, I was excited. And the movie did not disappoint.

The story has an Alice in Wonderland vibe since it involves a young girl ending up in topsy turvy word. It reminds me of Corpse Bride in the designs of the two worlds where the real world is grey and drab while the alternate world is colorful and fantastical. I love the design of the Other Mother's world. It's bright and colorful and everything is made to please Coraline. However, as Coraline starts to resist, everything becomes darker and the Other Mother looks less and less human. And I don't know about anyone else, but the climax scared me to death.

I also enjoyed the characters. Coraline is a believable kid. She's kooky and weird and has strange taste in fashion. She gets on her parents nerves but she just wants them to to pay attention to her. The parents are also believable. There are times when my parents are so wrapped up in their work that they don't have time for me. They aren't bad people. They're just unbelivably stressed. The Other Mother is freaky as hell. She really seems like the kind of mother we all wish we had. She's funny and loving and gives you whatever you want. Too bad she's doing it so that she can ensnare and kill you. The other characters are mostly hit or miss.

Fans of the book might not like the changes made, but I think there were for the better. The book lacked detailed descriptions about Coraline's appearance. I really liked the blue hair. It fits her character. I also like the addition of Wybie. While he wasn't a HUGE part of the plot, they made his character relevant. And thank god they didn't make him a love interest.

I can understand why people wouldn't like it as much. It does have a lot of slow moments, but I liked those scenes because they were used to show us what kind of person Coraline is and about her relationship with her parents and Wybie.

I'm not sure if it will appeal to Tim Burton fans. It doesn't strike the same balance between macabre, comedy, and whimsy, but it's not trying to be The Nightmare Before Christmas. The only things it has in common with it is stopmotion and director Henry Selick. If you like stopmotion, this is a good movie to see.

And if you liked this movie, watch Laika's other major stopmotion film, ParaNorman.
  21. Nov 2, 2010
    A very very beautiful work of art in the form of a movie. That is the best way I can describe it. This movie is dark and at the same time offers the viewer the chance to experience a wide variety of emotions as the movie progresses. I think the story and the pacing are well done and the voice actors did a fantastic job matching the animated characters. This movie is a must buy for fans ofA very very beautiful work of art in the form of a movie. That is the best way I can describe it. This movie is dark and at the same time offers the viewer the chance to experience a wide variety of emotions as the movie progresses. I think the story and the pacing are well done and the voice actors did a fantastic job matching the animated characters. This movie is a must buy for fans of this sub genre of animated movies. Expand
  22. Nov 8, 2014
    Good god this film is creepy. Forget actual horror films, I can safely tell you that this was scarier than any horror film I have seen since it's release. Aside from the near mental scarring I underwent, this film was fantastic, it contains some of the best animation I have ever seen, and one of the most compelling heart warming stories. Just don't watch it at night.
  23. Aug 15, 2014
    This stop motion animation creates an eerie but unimaginable visuals, sinisterly dark and extraordinary with a fantastic plot, by far one of my favorite children movies of all time.
  24. May 28, 2015
    A protagonista tem suas características bem aplicadas, mas os cenários foram parcialmente, o filme poderia ser melhor se incluis-se mais terror e se tivesse removido as partes infantis, mas é um belo terror para crianças.
  25. Aug 23, 2014
    Una película hermosa, con una animación increíble, una magnifica historia y trama, con una gran dirección, una película entretenida que te mantiene al tanto.
  26. Feb 15, 2012
    A masterpiece i have watched this movie at least 25 times the originality is amazing. They changed things from the book for the better things actually seem to come together better in the movie then the book which never happens. The claymation and voice acting are done amazingly and you can relate to the main character thoughout the whole movie all and all this is what movies should be likeA masterpiece i have watched this movie at least 25 times the originality is amazing. They changed things from the book for the better things actually seem to come together better in the movie then the book which never happens. The claymation and voice acting are done amazingly and you can relate to the main character thoughout the whole movie all and all this is what movies should be like in the future A+++ Expand
  27. Aug 26, 2010
    I thought Coraline was going to have very scary moments - but I was wrong. Coraline is a great movie, thrilling, exciting, everything! You have to see it. PG is reccomended, Coraline may create nightmares on most sensitive (New York Post, thanks) children. Coraline, a great movie deserves a great review.
  28. Apr 3, 2014
    Breathtaking images, a hell of a story and a kind of a dark twist that just adds to the quality of this masterpiece. candy for the eye and a captivating story that puts you in the universe/fantasy of coraline. This again isn't just a movie, it's a masterwork in its genre. It had that same feeling as nightmare before christmas but didn't have all the songs (I'm not a fan of musicals,...),Breathtaking images, a hell of a story and a kind of a dark twist that just adds to the quality of this masterpiece. candy for the eye and a captivating story that puts you in the universe/fantasy of coraline. This again isn't just a movie, it's a masterwork in its genre. It had that same feeling as nightmare before christmas but didn't have all the songs (I'm not a fan of musicals,...), so for me it was that much better!
    A must watch for everyone (I say this a lot), but this is one of those animated pictures that even adults will fully enjoy!

Just my opinion
  29. Jan 13, 2015
    Up there with The Nightmare before Christmas and The Lion King as one of the greatest animated films of all time, it's only dud being Coraline's mom, who is actually kinda of a... You know what.
  30. Feb 1, 2015
    Couldn't even get to sleep after watching this, it was fricking spooky. And it's meant for kids wtf? Don't they get creeped out? If I was in that world I'd commit suicide.
  31. Sep 8, 2012
    Ok, so, my family and I decided to go to the movies, just to do something fun. We decide on Coraline... because it was, apparently, the only family movie available... so, we go in and sit down. Not even halfway through the movie, my parents ask me if I wanna leave. The only reason I said "no," was to see how much worse the movie could get. I was absolutely shocked. It was one of the worst,Ok, so, my family and I decided to go to the movies, just to do something fun. We decide on Coraline... because it was, apparently, the only family movie available... so, we go in and sit down. Not even halfway through the movie, my parents ask me if I wanna leave. The only reason I said "no," was to see how much worse the movie could get. I was absolutely shocked. It was one of the worst, if not, the worst movie I have ever seen! I don't get all the critics making a big deal over this saying,"Great movie! Blah Blah Blah." Neither my Dad, Mom, or my sister enjoyed it. What a disappointment! It was too weird, the story made no sense. The only thing decent, was the 3D, otherwise, it sucks. 2/10 from me. Expand
  32. May 13, 2011
    It's surprisingly dark to be called a family film but it seems to go well but is could be better than it actually is that said it was one of my favourites from 2009.
  33. May 4, 2012
    I saw this movie with the family, and there wasn't a single one of us who enjoyed it. Very disappointing given the hype about it. The story was boring, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, regardless of age.
  34. Jan 14, 2014
    This movie excceded my expectation
    Is one of the few good animated films
    Mysterious, interesting and well made.
    I think this Is a simple but a good film.
  35. Dec 25, 2013
    "Coraline" was a horror movie for kids. Not a great mix in some movies like "Munchies" or "Critters", but this was a movie that didn't just have a great plot, script, imagination and production, but also inspired kids to be brave and to stand their ground, while being fun in the process.
  36. Jan 26, 2014
    Wonderful movie based on great reimagining of Alice in Wonderland. Perfect animation accompanied by stunningly atmospheric soundtrack. Great characters. I was really impressed.
  37. Dec 3, 2012
    My favorite movie ever. I loved the story and its dark humor, the animation, the lightning was beautiful and most of all the voice acting (mostly from Teri Hatcher, she was the best!). I can't believe this movie would get bad reviews! :)
  38. NathanR.
    Mar 1, 2009
    I really wanted to like this movie, especially after viewing the metacritic score. This was the first 3D movie I felt was worth seeing. And while it is not a terrible movie, it certainly does not deserve a 79 score. Others have mentioned it, but Dakota Fanning is NOT a good voice actress. The visuals were hit and miss. When Coraline first visits her "other family" is close to stunning and I really wanted to like this movie, especially after viewing the metacritic score. This was the first 3D movie I felt was worth seeing. And while it is not a terrible movie, it certainly does not deserve a 79 score. Others have mentioned it, but Dakota Fanning is NOT a good voice actress. The visuals were hit and miss. When Coraline first visits her "other family" is close to stunning and kept my attention. Unfortunately from that point on I felt like taking a nap. The scene with the near-nude granny was not at all necessary, and not funny. That's another thing this movie lacked: humor. All in all, this is not the worst movie I've ever seen. Far from the best. Far, FAR from the best. Expand
  39. DavidM.
    Feb 28, 2009
    A true labour of love, which bore gorgeous fruit, visually and stylistically. Not likely to appeal to a crowd looking for singing fish and dancing zebras. Why anyone would expect this to be a Disneyesque, inane sunshine and lolipops venture for a SMALL child and then complain after the fact is a bit of a mystery. It is INTENDED to be dark and yes, disturbing. The artistry and execution A true labour of love, which bore gorgeous fruit, visually and stylistically. Not likely to appeal to a crowd looking for singing fish and dancing zebras. Why anyone would expect this to be a Disneyesque, inane sunshine and lolipops venture for a SMALL child and then complain after the fact is a bit of a mystery. It is INTENDED to be dark and yes, disturbing. The artistry and execution left me at a loss for words after viewing, but perhaps that is because I am just a "moran" (sorry Bill C) Expand
  40. JasonH.
    Feb 7, 2009
    I REALLY enjoyed watching this movie, and my only gripe is a strange one: About half way through the movie, it starts seeming like it's a video game.
  41. kairiC
    Feb 7, 2009
    It was really visually stunning, the 3d was a little distracting in a few places, it was really spot-on the spirit of the book, even with the changes. It was fun and creepy and me, my husband, and my 12 year old daughter all enjoyed it. Amazing stop-action like I've never seen.
  42. JimS.
    Feb 7, 2009
    The extra money for the rich 3D is absolutely a must. I was sad when the movie ended that's how much I enjoyed my experience.
  43. BobT
    Feb 8, 2009
    This is one of the best movies I've seen in a very long time. Coraline has stunning animation, and a very original plot. I saw the 3-D version, which was just awesome. This movie is not Bambi 2, so don't bring your three year old to this movie. In short, this movie is fantastic if you like animation, and dark toned movies. I read one review that complains because a character This is one of the best movies I've seen in a very long time. Coraline has stunning animation, and a very original plot. I saw the 3-D version, which was just awesome. This movie is not Bambi 2, so don't bring your three year old to this movie. In short, this movie is fantastic if you like animation, and dark toned movies. I read one review that complains because a character said 'oh my god.' Frankly, that's a very typical and common expression, and is an integral part of the English language. What's funny is that those three words popped into my head about half a second before the character said it! Expand
  44. BobT
    Feb 8, 2009
    An enjoyable film. I'm thinking that even if I hadn't read the book, I'd know where this story was going. The pacing of the story was excellent as were the 3D renderings, i.e. the acting. Now I will have to re-read the book, I seem to remember it as a bit more creepy. I'd warn folks with young (<9) kids that some content may scare the bejezus out of them for the nextAn enjoyable film. I'm thinking that even if I hadn't read the book, I'd know where this story was going. The pacing of the story was excellent as were the 3D renderings, i.e. the acting. Now I will have to re-read the book, I seem to remember it as a bit more creepy. I'd warn folks with young (<9) kids that some content may scare the bejezus out of them for the next little while. Expand
  45. MargaretS.
    Mar 9, 2009
    In reading most of these comments, I noticed that the people that really enjoyed this film were young adults who possibly enjoy video games and have no children. Maybe that's who this movie is geared for perhaps. As a middle aged adult who has seen my fair share of adult movies as well as many kid movies, I didn't find this movie particularly enjoyable for the following reasons: In reading most of these comments, I noticed that the people that really enjoyed this film were young adults who possibly enjoy video games and have no children. Maybe that's who this movie is geared for perhaps. As a middle aged adult who has seen my fair share of adult movies as well as many kid movies, I didn't find this movie particularly enjoyable for the following reasons: poor characterization and poor story flow. If it weren't for the superior 3D animation holding our attention, my family and I would have left the theatre within 10 minutes and asked for out money back. Expand
  46. JesseM.
    Apr 14, 2009
    This was the best movie of the year thus far. I don't know why I am so in love with it. It was so creative and just very well done. It's quite amazing. Can't wait for it on Blu-ray.
  47. amelindas
    May 16, 2009
    At first I felt like a child again, discovering how "wierd" evil was rather than scary or threatening. It than dove right in to the insanity and came out squeaky sane on the other side. The resiliency of a child's mind is astonishing and the movie brought that all back.
  48. DarrelR
    Feb 10, 2009
    Delight, creative and artfully executed. Unlike most stop action animation, this production left me completely unaware of the techniques used to make the visuals, and focused my attention on the magic of the story, Bravo!
  49. HeidiE.
    Feb 21, 2009
    This movie was horrible. I have never written a review about a movie good or bad before, but this was so bad I felt compelled to write. It was not a movie for kids. It was way to scary and the story line for adults and kids was long, drawn out and boring.
  50. DanielM.
    Feb 21, 2009
    This movie may have been weird, spooky and meant to be played in October. Also, the way that everything went, ( how thematic it was and how scary it was, and to mention one clip of the movie was suggestive enough that it was meant for teenagers instead of children. ) But other than what I just said this was the best movie that I saw that was not meant for toddlers, or adults. The story This movie may have been weird, spooky and meant to be played in October. Also, the way that everything went, ( how thematic it was and how scary it was, and to mention one clip of the movie was suggestive enough that it was meant for teenagers instead of children. ) But other than what I just said this was the best movie that I saw that was not meant for toddlers, or adults. The story was surprisingly awesome in an adventurous way, and how they set up the movie was classic. Even better, the movie was definitely appropriately timed, when the movie was ending, I was getting a little antsy. This movie is a must see to any teenager out there. Expand
  51. BillC.
    Feb 21, 2009
    Pure garbage in 3D. A kids Movie? Maybe for idiots and morans. A story poorly told and not enjoyed by anyone in the theater we were in. No Joke. What's a kids movie doing with a busty animated dancing lady with pasties all about?? Why the high rating on meta critic??? This thing was just awful. Again , I can say No One in the Theater seemed to like it.
  52. AlenS
    Feb 27, 2009
    What a magical experience, not a movie at all, but a brilliant adventure. Very creepy... Truly creepy and unsettling... If the movie is too scary for your kids, then don't watch the whole thing! Just because it is spooky doesn't equate it with being bad. The rich visuals were right on. Way better than Nightmare.
  53. RhettR.
    Feb 6, 2009
    This rating is for the non-3D version. Parent section: First off, I would not recommend taking children under 8 to this movie. The plot is a bit complex and too deep to keep the attention of younger children, and it is borderline too scary for children 6 and under. My children (8,6,3,3) love Nightmare Before Christmas. But I think this movie hits a bit too close to home since the main This rating is for the non-3D version. Parent section: First off, I would not recommend taking children under 8 to this movie. The plot is a bit complex and too deep to keep the attention of younger children, and it is borderline too scary for children 6 and under. My children (8,6,3,3) love Nightmare Before Christmas. But I think this movie hits a bit too close to home since the main character is a young girl and story a twisted variation on her reality. NBC is fantastical. I regret bringing my younger children. Jury is out with the 6 YO boy. There are also a few scenes completely inappropriate for children. During the theater scene with the old ladies. one of the old ladies is in pastys and a thong. They sing about breasts, coraline points out how naked they are and even blurts out an OMG. The innuendo and nudity is completely unnecessary and adds nothing to the story. I was very taken back that this HAD to be in the story. Once again, a perfectly good family movie (albeit for older children) is ruined by a disconnected and ignorant writer, director, producer. why does hollywood find this necessary? It only creates an awkward moment for parents and children. Of all the money spent on marketing and demographic, where is the market research on this subject? OK stepping off my soapbox. Movie section: As far as the movie goes.Tthe stop motion is unbelievable. You will have a hard time comprehending how Selick and team accomplished what they did. And the textures and shadows created by the tangible medium cannot be matched with CG (I draw a similar comparison of the original star wars trilogy to the recent prequels. The magic and artistry of stop motion cannot be matched). There were a few choppy spots in the film (i.e. framerate) but perhaps it was a prob with our theater. The story is exquisite. it evokes thoughts of other stories of childrens' twists on reality (Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of OZ, Pan's Labyrinth) Here are my gripes: Character development is a bit rushed, but not so much you don't feel a connection with them.Tthe story development is bit rushed also, but at the same time, the movie feels a bit stretched out at some points. All in all a great movie for adults and older children. Fans of Selick and the like will not be disappointed. Those not interested in the genre will be impressed with the technique, but the story will not change their opinions. Expand
  54. PaulK.
    Feb 7, 2009
    This is a beautifully brilliant film. So much thought, time and labor went into this, it's mindblowing. It's stop-motion animation at it's finest and the 3-D puts the whole thing over the top. If you find time, stay through the credits for the last 3-D sequence!
  55. davidk
    Feb 7, 2009
    Excellent animation and story... I saw it in 3D and was blown away by the quality of the imagery...not for the little ones...but for teens and up it's a great film going experience.
  56. OttoO.
    Feb 7, 2009
    Visually stunning and ultimately the best what 3D has brought us so far. Some say it's dragging at times, but I beg to disagree. Everything is so well crafted is mind boggling. Wouldn't chance a thing. I newer knew stop motion animation could be done this beautifully. It's gonna be a classic. No question.
  57. AnnaP.
    Feb 7, 2009
    This was gloriously filmed in 3D, with great depth and astonishing color. Yet it's subtle - not many of the "gotcha, 3D!" moments in this, which was nice. The story is solid, although I prefer the book version to the movie version. Nevertheless, it's a great movie for kids of all ages, and for their parents too. A breath of fresh air compared to the normal kids fare, for sure.
  58. SteveO
    Feb 7, 2009
    One of the most visually entertaining experiences of my life. It's a strange, fun trip!
  59. LoganM
    Feb 8, 2009
    It hardly comes as a surprise, but Neil Gaiman has done it again! With the help of screenwriter/director Henry Selick and Laika, Coraline has become a major success. For good reason. The star power of Dakota Fanning, Teri Hatcher, and arguably They Might Be Giants add a lot to the film's success, as do their talents, but this is far and away a writer's movie. Don't mistake It hardly comes as a surprise, but Neil Gaiman has done it again! With the help of screenwriter/director Henry Selick and Laika, Coraline has become a major success. For good reason. The star power of Dakota Fanning, Teri Hatcher, and arguably They Might Be Giants add a lot to the film's success, as do their talents, but this is far and away a writer's movie. Don't mistake me, the movie's a visual feast. The modelers, "costumers" and animators at Laika are best in class. The cinematography is astounding. The 3D can sometimes be jarring, but no more so than in any other production using the technology. Many of those effects are just tremendous, however. The organic pixelizations, animated gardens and looms (of all kinds) add a great deal to a feel of enchantment viewers of all ages can really enjoy. As I said, this is a writer's movie, and that's one of the esteemed Mr. Gaiman's great talents; breaking the age barrier. It's a tradition in animation, of course, layering adult humor into child-friendly themes, but this is a writer who doesn't need animation, or even illustration, to accomplish the feat. I haven't read the book. Sorry, Neil. But rest assured I shall! In fact, I may just order it now. While I was tremendously disappointed with the screen treatment of Stardust (2007), I expect less was changed here. It would certainly make sense as Mr. Gaiman's Hollywood clout continues to grow. It's good to see genius and persistence rewarded in such a big way. The merit is clearly visible in Coraline. This movie is so charming I can hardly stand it. There are scenes that melt the heart, and few that make it skip a beat. The imagery is eternal, as are the well-stated themes of love, disaffection and fear. Layer into that timeless story the aforementioned visuals, an excellent musical score, great voice acting and Burton-beating production values and what do you get? A film like the perfect layer cake. A cake with creamy frosting, and the words "Welcome home" ringed in candles. Or a deep forgotten well surrounded by a faerie ring. Either is good. Better than good: superlative. You must not miss this film! I give it 9 of 10 points! Expand
  60. KirstenJ.
    Feb 8, 2009
    I'm a college student, so for financial reasons and time constraints, I rarely go to the theatres for movies. This one was an exception. I had read the book, and it had blown my mind. I saw the very first tiny clip released online in which Coraline met the ghosts, and I was fairly unimpressed. One line, the last line in the clip, changed that. "We don't remember our names." It I'm a college student, so for financial reasons and time constraints, I rarely go to the theatres for movies. This one was an exception. I had read the book, and it had blown my mind. I saw the very first tiny clip released online in which Coraline met the ghosts, and I was fairly unimpressed. One line, the last line in the clip, changed that. "We don't remember our names." It sent chills down my spine, and I was hooked. So, I had my father take me to see it on opening night. I was once again swept off my feet. I was a little unsure at first whether the movie would compromise the story in order to play to the 3D clichés as so many had before it, but my fears were put at ease. Only once in the entire film, during the opening credits, did anything come off the screen straight for the audience, and even that was an amazing artistic decision that foreshadowed with its foreshortening. The artistic direction and the cinematography were mindblowing. I had been impressed with Sweeney Todd's artistic direction, but Coraline puts it to shame. One scene explores a garden with plants so exotic and whimsical that one might expect to find them in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. The 3D made it so tangible that it was almost impossible not to feel the thick waxy petals and leaves. The flawless marriage between Neil Gaiman's incredible story and the meticulously created masterpiece was what made this work so well. The entire reason that the 3D was not a tacky disappointment was because Selick didn't shove it in the audience's faces. So yes, the movie was visually a treat. But Coraline was much more than eye candy. The story was incredibly true to Mr. Gaiman's book. One or two differences obviously existed, but overall, I don't think I've ever seen a more accurate book adaptation. And so it, like the book, was filled to the brim with the odd mixture of characteristics that Mr. Gaiman intended. It was eerie, bizarre, delightful, funny, cute, and downright frightening. Sure, plenty of movies have parts that are scary and parts that are funny and so on... But it's a rare movie indeed that can incur all of those feelings in the same instant. Mr. Gaiman himself put it best, in a sneak peek interview: "If audiences take away terror and joy in roughly equal doses, I will be very happy." Expand
  61. GradyP.
    Feb 8, 2009
    If this had been released last year, it could easily give WALL-E a run for its money for the Oscar. It's an amazing film that's sure to become a classic, and it easily rivals The Nightmare Before Christmas (which in and of itself is one of the best animated movies of all time). Well worth seeing, can't wait for the Blu-ray release!!
  62. NoelleB.
    Feb 8, 2009
    A beautifully frightening story; gracefully rendered. Loved it!
  63. Thanh-TamH
    Feb 8, 2009
    Coraline was fabulous to see in 3D, and possessed a fanciful sort of creepiness that both scares and delights. It's a movie both parent and child can enjoy equally.
  64. jb
    Feb 8, 2009
    A good amount of scenes show real beauty and imagination, but I found myself not ever caring for these characters. Not once. Someone else mentioned that the story was reminiscent of a video game, and it is. What a shame. Unless of course your really swept away by video games. Also, paying close to 3 bucks for glasses that belong to a technology that wasn't worthwhile even fifty years A good amount of scenes show real beauty and imagination, but I found myself not ever caring for these characters. Not once. Someone else mentioned that the story was reminiscent of a video game, and it is. What a shame. Unless of course your really swept away by video games. Also, paying close to 3 bucks for glasses that belong to a technology that wasn't worthwhile even fifty years ago is quite a shame as well. Expand
  65. BrianS
    Feb 8, 2009
    A very accomplished, beautiful film.--visually stunning, and the 3D was very effective without being obtrusive. That said, I thought the last third of the film lacked energy. A lot of reviewers have mentioned the "creepy" tone, but I felt that the film never really engaged at an emotional level toward the end, which would have elevated this from a good to a great film.
  66. MelanieL
    Feb 9, 2009
    Fun story and very artfully done- awesome in 3-d!
  67. MikeM
    Mar 21, 2009
    Visually arresting, but the story was frankly, uninteresting. The characters are initially very grating, and never become endearing during the course of the film. The animation is awesome and was very fun to watch in 3D on a big screen, but by the end I didn't really care what happened to the characters, which probably isn't a good sign.
  68. JeffC
    Mar 25, 2009
    Very amazing work with the stop-action, but the film is very overrated. The story was mediocre and drawn out too much.
  69. JulianM.
    Mar 3, 2009
    It was horrible. I couldn't get into it at all... it made no sense. Avoid it, unless you're under 5. The animation is pretty choppy, even with 3D. I can't see how it got all these great reviews.
  70. ShannonW.
    Mar 4, 2009
    I really can't wait til this movie comes out on blu-ray. It was absolutely beautiful and stunning, and I left the theater in complete awe. The story was wonderful and I'd now like to read the book. The producers of this movie made a real treasure and I honestly can't wait til I can see it again. And for all the parents out there that brought their kids...didn't you I really can't wait til this movie comes out on blu-ray. It was absolutely beautiful and stunning, and I left the theater in complete awe. The story was wonderful and I'd now like to read the book. The producers of this movie made a real treasure and I honestly can't wait til I can see it again. And for all the parents out there that brought their kids...didn't you read the rating? It's PG because of the "thematic elements, SCARY IMAGES, some language and suggestive humor." Responsible parenting and movie selection should be exercised here. Expand
  71. PaulD.
    Mar 5, 2009
    Excellent script and stellar animation makes this a winner. I saw it without 3-D, but it was still very impressive. Imaginative and beautiful animation, but suspense and menace keep it from being syrupy. Kept my interest and attention till the end.
  72. JessicaF.
    Apr 17, 2009
    Long ago, I read the original book Coraline and it freaked me out then. This film didn't seem to do the book justice. The addition of the character, "Wybie", altered the story just enough to make me dislike it. They made it too "fluffy".
  73. CoralineR
    Apr 7, 2009
    I wish I could give it a lower score, because this was the worst movie I have seen in many years. Pathetic story, terrible animation, no pace, I fought to stay awake, and later regretted doing so.
  74. EmmanuelT
    May 4, 2009
    AMAZING!!!!!!! Scary even for the adults. The animation was breath taking and the horror was truly for every age. Must see and i need to see it again!!!
  75. WilliamS.
    May 9, 2009
    Some have called this movie Burtonesque, but I actually found his lack of association with the movie a strong point. The movie knows how to contrast the fantastical and the drab in its visual department and the story is so universal that it reaches adults and kids with an equally immerse impact. I felt like this movie knew how to get back to the old magical realism aspect that was Some have called this movie Burtonesque, but I actually found his lack of association with the movie a strong point. The movie knows how to contrast the fantastical and the drab in its visual department and the story is so universal that it reaches adults and kids with an equally immerse impact. I felt like this movie knew how to get back to the old magical realism aspect that was prevalent in The Nightmare Before Christmas. It was thoroughly enjoyable the entire way through. Expand
  76. DanK
    Jul 22, 2009
    Can someone please tell me why the Coraline dvd uses the old, crappy red and blue 3D glasses that make your head hurt instead of the amazing, mind-blowing technology that made the theater 3D experience so incredibly fun? I loved this movie, and I am so frustrated that I will never be able to share the movie experience that I had in the theater with anyone because the studio execs Can someone please tell me why the Coraline dvd uses the old, crappy red and blue 3D glasses that make your head hurt instead of the amazing, mind-blowing technology that made the theater 3D experience so incredibly fun? I loved this movie, and I am so frustrated that I will never be able to share the movie experience that I had in the theater with anyone because the studio execs wouldn't spend the extra two bucks on more expensive glasses!! Please help me understand this!! Expand
  77. wenzdaej
    Jul 27, 2009
    It was ok could have been better and it definitely was a kids movie kids love to be scared and this wasn't even that scary since it was animated and kids always know the difference better than adults i remember being a kid and i LOVED scary movies all kids do and did anybody ever read any fairy tales from grimm to o Henry what about te little match girl she froze to death was that It was ok could have been better and it definitely was a kids movie kids love to be scared and this wasn't even that scary since it was animated and kids always know the difference better than adults i remember being a kid and i LOVED scary movies all kids do and did anybody ever read any fairy tales from grimm to o Henry what about te little match girl she froze to death was that for kids?? Cinderella if any1 ever bothered to actually read it the sisters die a gruesome death, so all u wawawa a its not for kids morons ' yours are the kids who get beat up and have their heads flushed down the toilet. Expand
  78. M.J.P
    Jul 7, 2009
    Another creative short-stop animation with surprisingly good detail, but lacking a much needed child-friendly approach, seeing as how this film was a children's movie. I don't think its very appropriate for a large elderly woman to be jumping up and down in a thong and nipple pasties.
  79. MikeH.
    Aug 29, 2009
    Interesting that it appears that all those giving this movie a bad score didn't watch the whole thing but just 'assumed' it was going to be bad. what a bunch of idiots. if you're stupid enough to walk out of a movie without watching it all don't waste space with your comments. i, also, thought this movie was going to be bad, and i didn't like it even up till Interesting that it appears that all those giving this movie a bad score didn't watch the whole thing but just 'assumed' it was going to be bad. what a bunch of idiots. if you're stupid enough to walk out of a movie without watching it all don't waste space with your comments. i, also, thought this movie was going to be bad, and i didn't like it even up till about 20 minutes through it, but it improved... a lot! at the end i was actually very pleased with the way it turned out. i almost didn't watch Coraline because the concept of the movie seemed so stupid, but I'm very glad i did go out and see it. 10/10 Expand
  80. EliasC
    Sep 2, 2009
    Neil Gaiman has always been an acquired taste. His visions of twisted reality in all of his works has always been more appealing to me as in book form rather than as a visual entertainment. Coraline is no exception. His foray into children's books with the publication of Coraline was a surprise to many but his quirky story was well written and appealing on paper. On film however, it Neil Gaiman has always been an acquired taste. His visions of twisted reality in all of his works has always been more appealing to me as in book form rather than as a visual entertainment. Coraline is no exception. His foray into children's books with the publication of Coraline was a surprise to many but his quirky story was well written and appealing on paper. On film however, it just seems...well, strange. Not exactly a kid's movie and not exactly a film for adult's either. The skill it took to animate using stop action movement should be appreciated. Some stop motion techniques exhibited in this film were simply astonishing. But technique alone does not make a good film. A great film for film students does not make a great film for the average viewer. Consider the twisted universe of the film's reality and the even more twisted vision of the film's alternate reality. Look at the scenes with the almost nude acrobatic sisters. Listen to the awful vocal music, This is not a film for children. Let your kids read the book instead and let them use their own imagination to fill in the blanks. And a final note: The 3D theatrical version must have been something to watch. DO not fall for the DVD's 3D version. It is simply bad. Using red and green cardboard glasses, the film is colorless, dark, eye-aching awfulness. The producers of the DVD's 3D packaging should be ashamed. Expand
  81. JohnR
    Sep 9, 2009
    Absolutely stunning. An original plot with a heroic little girl. I wouldn't recommend it for very young children, but age 9 and over should be fine. Adults will love it too.
  82. MichaelaC.
    Jan 3, 2010
    The people that said the movie was boring and dull are really saying that they don't want to watch something different and new but just want to stay in their comfort zone of totally predictable movies at least its a fresh change from all those other movies.
  83. BenG
    Oct 3, 2009
    Gaiman is truly the most over-rated writer who should be on the D-List for DULL. Coraline was a mediocre book and a crappy, and painfully boring movie. Like any mediocre artist, Gaiman is now going for notoriety by hooking up with the untalented Palmer who in turn strips her clothes off at the slightest provocation. I heard they were Scientologists, which would explain an awful lot since Gaiman is truly the most over-rated writer who should be on the D-List for DULL. Coraline was a mediocre book and a crappy, and painfully boring movie. Like any mediocre artist, Gaiman is now going for notoriety by hooking up with the untalented Palmer who in turn strips her clothes off at the slightest provocation. I heard they were Scientologists, which would explain an awful lot since Scientologists act like loons out in public. Expand
  84. TonyS
    Feb 10, 2009
    I love how the negative or mediocre reviews don't actually mention much about what they didn't like about the movie. If your going to say that a movie that is generally accepted as exceptional is mediocre, please explain why you feel that way. I enjoyed this film. The characters were all well done. Is also has a TMBG song in it which is always nice! The 3D is breath taking. I I love how the negative or mediocre reviews don't actually mention much about what they didn't like about the movie. If your going to say that a movie that is generally accepted as exceptional is mediocre, please explain why you feel that way. I enjoyed this film. The characters were all well done. Is also has a TMBG song in it which is always nice! The 3D is breath taking. I will most likely see it again before it leaves the theater. Expand
  85. TheDude
    Feb 17, 2009
    Whoa! This movie wasn't what I was expecting. I purposefully don't read much of reviews because they always give away too much, but I'm a junky for 3D movies and I saw the high marks for this one so I couldn't wait. The thing was, I was expecting it to be a kids' movie, and it wasn't that at all. It was waaaay too creepy, edgy, scary, strange, and freaky for Whoa! This movie wasn't what I was expecting. I purposefully don't read much of reviews because they always give away too much, but I'm a junky for 3D movies and I saw the high marks for this one so I couldn't wait. The thing was, I was expecting it to be a kids' movie, and it wasn't that at all. It was waaaay too creepy, edgy, scary, strange, and freaky for children, I felt. It bore a lot in common with Pan's Labrynth and The Orphanage, and was similar in tone to those. There was one spectacular scene visually in a garden at night, but mostly I just felt really creeped out and disturbed. In general, I usually disagree with the high marks that clay-mation films get, not because I don't like claymation, but because I usually find them to be too slow, or them to be a little too dark and strange, or their stories to just not be as strong as I would hope, and yet they always seem to get rave reviews from the critics regardless. This film seemed derivative of the two other movies I mentioned, and was very creepy and weird, so if you liked those films you might really enjoy this, but it's not really my thing, and definitely don't go in expecting a fun, light rompy kids movie, and do realize that if you take small children there will likely be uncomfortable moments, and quite possibly nightmares from it(I think I might have some nightmares from it, and I'm a grown man!). Expand
  86. WhoKnew
    Feb 18, 2009
    Dakota Fanning is SOOOOO ANNNOOOOOYYYING!!! Her acting range goes from monotonous to barking, can't she nuance her words without always screaming them??? But other than that, the movie was pretty good--the animation is flawlessly inspired and subtle effects quite eye popping.
  87. SeanS.
    Feb 24, 2009
    I agree with some of the recent negative reviews. I posted a negative review a week ago and it was erased. Are any of these 10 reviews for real? My wife and I thought it was really boring and long. My friends who saw this movie with their kids also said their kids wanted to leave the theater because it was boring and made no sense. The animation was choppy and overall story line was I agree with some of the recent negative reviews. I posted a negative review a week ago and it was erased. Are any of these 10 reviews for real? My wife and I thought it was really boring and long. My friends who saw this movie with their kids also said their kids wanted to leave the theater because it was boring and made no sense. The animation was choppy and overall story line was creepy and way too long. Who is behind all these positive reviews? Expand
  88. DanielW
    Feb 26, 2009
    Well, "Bill C." must have seen this in a theater FULL of "idiots and morans" [sic]. My wife and I enjoyed it, as did the small crowd at the weekday matinee we attended. Can't speak for the small children, however, but I didn't hear any of them screaming or crying. I'm a little tired of everyone complaining that this was too scary or creepy for kids. Why does every animated Well, "Bill C." must have seen this in a theater FULL of "idiots and morans" [sic]. My wife and I enjoyed it, as did the small crowd at the weekday matinee we attended. Can't speak for the small children, however, but I didn't hear any of them screaming or crying. I'm a little tired of everyone complaining that this was too scary or creepy for kids. Why does every animated movie have to be suitable for small children? Anyway, good story, great animation and design, and really great 3D. It is a little slow, and Dakota Fanning is no great voice talent. There we many moments where the characters felt stiff, but I felt like that was pretty fitting with the overall dreamlike quality of the movie. I would highly recommend seeing this in 3D in the theater while you still can, but you probably want to leave your toddler with a babysitter. Expand
  89. SkyW.
    Feb 26, 2009
    This was a really good movie. i went to see it with a friend in 3-D and to be honest it was so SCARY! none of my other friends believe us b/c it is animated bu this was one of the creepiest movies i have ever seen!
  90. ChrisV.
    Feb 28, 2009
    This movie is just great, i loved it from head to toes... it has a great message too.. the animation its cool, even tough i tought that the characters where gonna be a little less creepy, haha, and my little brother was cryingm but it was great to enjoy this movie..
  91. Billy
    Feb 7, 2009
    Excellent. Incredibly creative and one of the most entertaining and fun films I have been to in years. The stop motion is incredible. A must see at a theater, I wish my area had 3D, it would have been amazing. 2D was incredible enough.
  92. TedU.
    Feb 7, 2009
    Best use of 3D ever. You really can't grasp the quality of the experience on a flat screen. And the creepiness is profound. Like E.T.A. Hoffman animated by Miyazaki.
    Feb 7, 2009
    Brilliant, dark, adventure movie. Strong plot, wonderful characters, and beautiful visual effects. Coraline is an instant classic.
  94. DanaM.
    Feb 8, 2009
    Very enjoyable movie. The 3D effect was worth the extra couple dollars admission. Incredible animation and imagination by the animators. Note the this is not a kids movie, or even a young teenager movie. Alot of the plot would just go over their heads. Bring your imagination, put on your 3D glasses and enjoy!
  95. TomN
    Feb 9, 2009
    A brilliant piece of animation. Sets a new standard.
  96. Liz
    Mar 1, 2009
    I would actually give it 8.5, but I'm a bit jaded. Neil Gaiman is fantastic, and Coraline is the new Grimm's fairy tale. the book was lovely and disturbing, the movie...well, just listening to kids walking out of the theatre made it clear they'd have their lights on tonight. i can't wait for Sandman.
  97. AndrewG
    Mar 16, 2009
    Much better than I expected. The first half of the movie was especially good in my opinion - when there's still a bit of mystery to the creepiness. The animation has a dreamy aesthetic that works really well. If you (or your kids) like Nightmare Before Christmas, then you (they) will probably like this too.
  98. DougM
    Mar 21, 2009
    To the nice lady in the user reviews who can somehow tell that "the people that really enjoyed this film were young adults who possibly enjoy video games and have no children", my 70-year-old mother absolutely adored this movie (and no, she doesn't enjoy video games). Didn't want any other middle-aged people to miss out because of her review.
  99. KevinE
    Mar 25, 2009
    Margaret S - I actually fall directly into the categories you mention and while I mostly enjoyed the movie I felt the second half lacked much sense of wonder that other animated movies might have. As well, most of the lesser characters were uninteresting. I
  100. StevenS
    Mar 28, 2009
    Dear Margaret S, I'm saddened by your review - and moreso by your particular lack of imagination. Or maybe you're just afraid of the dark. Either way, if you would've read the reviews earlier you may have concluded that it wasn't a family film, had several subtle intellectual undertones (anyone else catch all those sly winks to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?) Dear Margaret S, I'm saddened by your review - and moreso by your particular lack of imagination. Or maybe you're just afraid of the dark. Either way, if you would've read the reviews earlier you may have concluded that it wasn't a family film, had several subtle intellectual undertones (anyone else catch all those sly winks to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?) and dark themes throughout. This has easily been one of the most inventive, innovative and astounding films I've recently witnessed. It was an incredibly successful combination of all the best components of the HP franchise, El Laberinto del Fauno, and (as previously mentioned) EsotSM. Riveting. A little slow paced at times perhaps but always filled with a sense of either dread and gloom or wonder - and at it's best moments, all 3. The best film to come out of 09 so far. Expand

This is perhaps the most effective 3-D movie I have ever seen, with a sophisticated, involving story that will appeal to many adults. The only reservation I have is with the PG rating, which seems too lenient for a story that may give very young children - particularly if they are sensitive - nightmares.
    The combination of 3-D photography and puppet-animation - centered on actual figures designed by hand and manipulated frame by frame - creates a world that's dense, active and fluid: a sensory Jacuzzi.
  3. Reviewed by: Jenni Miller
    The story is creepy fun and 100-percent different than whatever other crap is flooding the February market.