8.2

1. MichaelaC.
    Jan 3, 2010
    The people that said the movie was boring and dull are really saying that they don't want to watch something different and new but just want to stay in their comfort zone of totally predictable movies at least its a fresh change from all those other movies.
  2. DavidM.
    Feb 28, 2009
    A true labour of love, which bore gorgeous fruit, visually and stylistically. Not likely to appeal to a crowd looking for singing fish and dancing zebras. Why anyone would expect this to be a Disneyesque, inane sunshine and lolipops venture for a SMALL child and then complain after the fact is a bit of a mystery. It is INTENDED to be dark and yes, disturbing. The artistry and execution A true labour of love, which bore gorgeous fruit, visually and stylistically. Not likely to appeal to a crowd looking for singing fish and dancing zebras. Why anyone would expect this to be a Disneyesque, inane sunshine and lolipops venture for a SMALL child and then complain after the fact is a bit of a mystery. It is INTENDED to be dark and yes, disturbing. The artistry and execution left me at a loss for words after viewing, but perhaps that is because I am just a "moran" (sorry Bill C) Expand
  3. kairiC
    Feb 7, 2009
    It was really visually stunning, the 3d was a little distracting in a few places, it was really spot-on the spirit of the book, even with the changes. It was fun and creepy and me, my husband, and my 12 year old daughter all enjoyed it. Amazing stop-action like I've never seen.
  4. JimS.
    Feb 7, 2009
    The extra money for the rich 3D is absolutely a must. I was sad when the movie ended that's how much I enjoyed my experience.
  5. amelindas
    May 16, 2009
    At first I felt like a child again, discovering how "wierd" evil was rather than scary or threatening. It than dove right in to the insanity and came out squeaky sane on the other side. The resiliency of a child's mind is astonishing and the movie brought that all back.
  6. DanielM.
    Feb 21, 2009
    This movie may have been weird, spooky and meant to be played in October. Also, the way that everything went, ( how thematic it was and how scary it was, and to mention one clip of the movie was suggestive enough that it was meant for teenagers instead of children. ) But other than what I just said this was the best movie that I saw that was not meant for toddlers, or adults. The story This movie may have been weird, spooky and meant to be played in October. Also, the way that everything went, ( how thematic it was and how scary it was, and to mention one clip of the movie was suggestive enough that it was meant for teenagers instead of children. ) But other than what I just said this was the best movie that I saw that was not meant for toddlers, or adults. The story was surprisingly awesome in an adventurous way, and how they set up the movie was classic. Even better, the movie was definitely appropriately timed, when the movie was ending, I was getting a little antsy. This movie is a must see to any teenager out there. Expand
  7. AlenS
    Feb 27, 2009
    What a magical experience, not a movie at all, but a brilliant adventure. Very creepy... Truly creepy and unsettling... If the movie is too scary for your kids, then don't watch the whole thing! Just because it is spooky doesn't equate it with being bad. The rich visuals were right on. Way better than Nightmare.
  8. PaulD.
    Mar 5, 2009
    Excellent script and stellar animation makes this a winner. I saw it without 3-D, but it was still very impressive. Imaginative and beautiful animation, but suspense and menace keep it from being syrupy. Kept my interest and attention till the end.
  9. Nov 8, 2014
    Good god this film is creepy. Forget actual horror films, I can safely tell you that this was scarier than any horror film I have seen since it's release. Aside from the near mental scarring I underwent, this film was fantastic, it contains some of the best animation I have ever seen, and one of the most compelling heart warming stories. Just don't watch it at night.
  10. Jun 30, 2013
    Coraline is a masterpiece with insightful and clever stop-motion animation that will entertain you like never before. The 3D is absorbing and intelligent, Athena wise 3D use. The plot is original and riveting, with a pleasant and fascinating ending that you will never expect it coming. Coraline easily is imaginative, powerful and surprisingly, one of the greatest works done in a long time.
  11. Dec 18, 2011
    Henry Selick takes Neil Gaiman's imaginative story and makes wonders with it with thrills, dark humor, great stop motion animation, and a cool original score make Coraline one of the best animated films ever made in my opinion. I give this movie 93%.
  12. Zal
    Dec 14, 2012
    Coraline was one of my favorite books in middle school. When I heard that there was going to be a movie version, I was excited. And the movie did not disappoint.

The story has an Alice in Wonderland vibe since it involves a young girl ending up in topsy turvy word. It reminds me of Corpse Bride in the designs of the two worlds where the real world is grey and drab while the alternate world is colorful and fantastical. I love the design of the Other Mother's world. It's bright and colorful and everything is made to please Coraline. However, as Coraline starts to resist, everything becomes darker and the Other Mother looks less and less human. And I don't know about anyone else, but the climax scared me to death.

I also enjoyed the characters. Coraline is a believable kid. She's kooky and weird and has strange taste in fashion. She gets on her parents nerves but she just wants them to to pay attention to her. The parents are also believable. There are times when my parents are so wrapped up in their work that they don't have time for me. They aren't bad people. They're just unbelivably stressed. The Other Mother is freaky as hell. She really seems like the kind of mother we all wish we had. She's funny and loving and gives you whatever you want. Too bad she's doing it so that she can ensnare and kill you. The other characters are mostly hit or miss.

Fans of the book might not like the changes made, but I think there were for the better. The book lacked detailed descriptions about Coraline's appearance. I really liked the blue hair. It fits her character. I also like the addition of Wybie. While he wasn't a HUGE part of the plot, they made his character relevant. And thank god they didn't make him a love interest.

I can understand why people wouldn't like it as much. It does have a lot of slow moments, but I liked those scenes because they were used to show us what kind of person Coraline is and about her relationship with her parents and Wybie.

I'm not sure if it will appeal to Tim Burton fans. It doesn't strike the same balance between macabre, comedy, and whimsy, but it's not trying to be The Nightmare Before Christmas. The only things it has in common with it is stopmotion and director Henry Selick. If you like stopmotion, this is a good movie to see.

And if you liked this movie, watch Laika's other major stopmotion film, ParaNorman.
  13. Jan 14, 2014
    This movie excceded my expectation
    Is one of the few good animated films
    Mysterious, interesting and well made.
    I think this Is a simple but a good film.
  14. BobT
    Feb 8, 2009
    This is one of the best movies I've seen in a very long time. Coraline has stunning animation, and a very original plot. I saw the 3-D version, which was just awesome. This movie is not Bambi 2, so don't bring your three year old to this movie. In short, this movie is fantastic if you like animation, and dark toned movies. I read one review that complains because a character This is one of the best movies I've seen in a very long time. Coraline has stunning animation, and a very original plot. I saw the 3-D version, which was just awesome. This movie is not Bambi 2, so don't bring your three year old to this movie. In short, this movie is fantastic if you like animation, and dark toned movies. I read one review that complains because a character said 'oh my god.' Frankly, that's a very typical and common expression, and is an integral part of the English language. What's funny is that those three words popped into my head about half a second before the character said it! Collapse
  15. JesseM.
    Apr 14, 2009
    This was the best movie of the year thus far. I don't know why I am so in love with it. It was so creative and just very well done. It's quite amazing. Can't wait for it on Blu-ray.
  16. DarrelR
    Feb 10, 2009
    Delight, creative and artfully executed. Unlike most stop action animation, this production left me completely unaware of the techniques used to make the visuals, and focused my attention on the magic of the story, Bravo!
  17. PaulK.
    Feb 7, 2009
    This is a beautifully brilliant film. So much thought, time and labor went into this, it's mindblowing. It's stop-motion animation at it's finest and the 3-D puts the whole thing over the top. If you find time, stay through the credits for the last 3-D sequence!
  18. davidk
    Feb 7, 2009
    Excellent animation and story... I saw it in 3D and was blown away by the quality of the imagery...not for the little ones...but for teens and up it's a great film going experience.
  19. OttoO.
    Feb 7, 2009
    Visually stunning and ultimately the best what 3D has brought us so far. Some say it's dragging at times, but I beg to disagree. Everything is so well crafted is mind boggling. Wouldn't chance a thing. I newer knew stop motion animation could be done this beautifully. It's gonna be a classic. No question.
  20. AnnaP.
    Feb 7, 2009
    This was gloriously filmed in 3D, with great depth and astonishing color. Yet it's subtle - not many of the "gotcha, 3D!" moments in this, which was nice. The story is solid, although I prefer the book version to the movie version. Nevertheless, it's a great movie for kids of all ages, and for their parents too. A breath of fresh air compared to the normal kids fare, for sure.
  21. SteveO
    Feb 7, 2009
    One of the most visually entertaining experiences of my life. It's a strange, fun trip!
  22. LoganM
    Feb 8, 2009
    It hardly comes as a surprise, but Neil Gaiman has done it again! With the help of screenwriter/director Henry Selick and Laika, Coraline has become a major success. For good reason. The star power of Dakota Fanning, Teri Hatcher, and arguably They Might Be Giants add a lot to the film's success, as do their talents, but this is far and away a writer's movie. Don't mistake It hardly comes as a surprise, but Neil Gaiman has done it again! With the help of screenwriter/director Henry Selick and Laika, Coraline has become a major success. For good reason. The star power of Dakota Fanning, Teri Hatcher, and arguably They Might Be Giants add a lot to the film's success, as do their talents, but this is far and away a writer's movie. Don't mistake me, the movie's a visual feast. The modelers, "costumers" and animators at Laika are best in class. The cinematography is astounding. The 3D can sometimes be jarring, but no more so than in any other production using the technology. Many of those effects are just tremendous, however. The organic pixelizations, animated gardens and looms (of all kinds) add a great deal to a feel of enchantment viewers of all ages can really enjoy. As I said, this is a writer's movie, and that's one of the esteemed Mr. Gaiman's great talents; breaking the age barrier. It's a tradition in animation, of course, layering adult humor into child-friendly themes, but this is a writer who doesn't need animation, or even illustration, to accomplish the feat. I haven't read the book. Sorry, Neil. But rest assured I shall! In fact, I may just order it now. While I was tremendously disappointed with the screen treatment of Stardust (2007), I expect less was changed here. It would certainly make sense as Mr. Gaiman's Hollywood clout continues to grow. It's good to see genius and persistence rewarded in such a big way. The merit is clearly visible in Coraline. This movie is so charming I can hardly stand it. There are scenes that melt the heart, and few that make it skip a beat. The imagery is eternal, as are the well-stated themes of love, disaffection and fear. Layer into that timeless story the aforementioned visuals, an excellent musical score, great voice acting and Burton-beating production values and what do you get? A film like the perfect layer cake. A cake with creamy frosting, and the words "Welcome home" ringed in candles. Or a deep forgotten well surrounded by a faerie ring. Either is good. Better than good: superlative. You must not miss this film! I give it 9 of 10 points! Expand
  23. KirstenJ.
    Feb 8, 2009
    I'm a college student, so for financial reasons and time constraints, I rarely go to the theatres for movies. This one was an exception. I had read the book, and it had blown my mind. I saw the very first tiny clip released online in which Coraline met the ghosts, and I was fairly unimpressed. One line, the last line in the clip, changed that. "We don't remember our names." It I'm a college student, so for financial reasons and time constraints, I rarely go to the theatres for movies. This one was an exception. I had read the book, and it had blown my mind. I saw the very first tiny clip released online in which Coraline met the ghosts, and I was fairly unimpressed. One line, the last line in the clip, changed that. "We don't remember our names." It sent chills down my spine, and I was hooked. So, I had my father take me to see it on opening night. I was once again swept off my feet. I was a little unsure at first whether the movie would compromise the story in order to play to the 3D clichés as so many had before it, but my fears were put at ease. Only once in the entire film, during the opening credits, did anything come off the screen straight for the audience, and even that was an amazing artistic decision that foreshadowed with its foreshortening. The artistic direction and the cinematography were mindblowing. I had been impressed with Sweeney Todd's artistic direction, but Coraline puts it to shame. One scene explores a garden with plants so exotic and whimsical that one might expect to find them in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. The 3D made it so tangible that it was almost impossible not to feel the thick waxy petals and leaves. The flawless marriage between Neil Gaiman's incredible story and the meticulously created masterpiece was what made this work so well. The entire reason that the 3D was not a tacky disappointment was because Selick didn't shove it in the audience's faces. So yes, the movie was visually a treat. But Coraline was much more than eye candy. The story was incredibly true to Mr. Gaiman's book. One or two differences obviously existed, but overall, I don't think I've ever seen a more accurate book adaptation. And so it, like the book, was filled to the brim with the odd mixture of characteristics that Mr. Gaiman intended. It was eerie, bizarre, delightful, funny, cute, and downright frightening. Sure, plenty of movies have parts that are scary and parts that are funny and so on... But it's a rare movie indeed that can incur all of those feelings in the same instant. Mr. Gaiman himself put it best, in a sneak peek interview: "If audiences take away terror and joy in roughly equal doses, I will be very happy." Expand
  24. GradyP.
    Feb 8, 2009
    If this had been released last year, it could easily give WALL-E a run for its money for the Oscar. It's an amazing film that's sure to become a classic, and it easily rivals The Nightmare Before Christmas (which in and of itself is one of the best animated movies of all time). Well worth seeing, can't wait for the Blu-ray release!!
  25. NoelleB.
    Feb 8, 2009
    A beautifully frightening story; gracefully rendered. Loved it!
  26. Thanh-TamH
    Feb 8, 2009
    Coraline was fabulous to see in 3D, and possessed a fanciful sort of creepiness that both scares and delights. It's a movie both parent and child can enjoy equally.
  27. MelanieL
    Feb 9, 2009
    Fun story and very artfully done- awesome in 3-d!
  28. ShannonW.
    Mar 4, 2009
    I really can't wait til this movie comes out on blu-ray. It was absolutely beautiful and stunning, and I left the theater in complete awe. The story was wonderful and I'd now like to read the book. The producers of this movie made a real treasure and I honestly can't wait til I can see it again. And for all the parents out there that brought their kids...didn't you I really can't wait til this movie comes out on blu-ray. It was absolutely beautiful and stunning, and I left the theater in complete awe. The story was wonderful and I'd now like to read the book. The producers of this movie made a real treasure and I honestly can't wait til I can see it again. And for all the parents out there that brought their kids...didn't you read the rating? It's PG because of the "thematic elements, SCARY IMAGES, some language and suggestive humor." Responsible parenting and movie selection should be exercised here. Expand
  29. EmmanuelT
    May 4, 2009
    AMAZING!!!!!!! Scary even for the adults. The animation was breath taking and the horror was truly for every age. Must see and i need to see it again!!!
  30. WilliamS.
    May 9, 2009
    Some have called this movie Burtonesque, but I actually found his lack of association with the movie a strong point. The movie knows how to contrast the fantastical and the drab in its visual department and the story is so universal that it reaches adults and kids with an equally immerse impact. I felt like this movie knew how to get back to the old magical realism aspect that was Some have called this movie Burtonesque, but I actually found his lack of association with the movie a strong point. The movie knows how to contrast the fantastical and the drab in its visual department and the story is so universal that it reaches adults and kids with an equally immerse impact. I felt like this movie knew how to get back to the old magical realism aspect that was prevalent in The Nightmare Before Christmas. It was thoroughly enjoyable the entire way through. Expand

This is perhaps the most effective 3-D movie I have ever seen, with a sophisticated, involving story that will appeal to many adults. The only reservation I have is with the PG rating, which seems too lenient for a story that may give very young children - particularly if they are sensitive - nightmares.
    The combination of 3-D photography and puppet-animation - centered on actual figures designed by hand and manipulated frame by frame - creates a world that's dense, active and fluid: a sensory Jacuzzi.
  3. Reviewed by: Jenni Miller
    The story is creepy fun and 100-percent different than whatever other crap is flooding the February market.