8.0

1. Apr 3, 2014
    Breathtaking images, a hell of a story and a kind of a dark twist that just adds to the quality of this masterpiece. candy for the eye and a captivating story that puts you in the universe/fantasy of coraline. This again isn't just a movie, it's a masterwork in its genre. It had that same feeling as nightmare before christmas but didn't have all the songs (I'm not a fan of musicals,...), so for me it was that much better!
    A must watch for everyone (I say this a lot), but this is one of those animated pictures that even adults will fully enjoy!

Just my opinion
  2. Feb 17, 2014
    Coraline has imagination, a good look and premise, however, all this is useless when trying to connect with the kids seems unsuccessful.
    Over the history Coraline does not hold you, the movie walk, walk and walk, and when we realize, it does not show us anything mature, it's quite the opposite actually, Coraline is just a child who repents of something desired.
  3. Jan 26, 2014
    Wonderful movie based on great reimagining of Alice in Wonderland. Perfect animation accompanied by stunningly atmospheric soundtrack. Great characters. I was really impressed.
  4. Jan 14, 2014
    This movie excceded my expectation
    Is one of the few good animated films
    Mysterious, interesting and well made.
    I think this Is a simple but a good film.
  5. Dec 25, 2013
    "Coraline" was a horror movie for kids. Not a great mix in some movies like "Munchies" or "Critters", but this was a movie that didn't just have a great plot, script, imagination and production, but also inspired kids to be brave and to stand their ground, while being fun in the process.
  6. Nov 16, 2013
    Coraline is a spectacular stop action piece.
    The movie is perfectly paced, and well designed. The concept is good, and the animation is spellbinding. The result is a very entertaining animated tale with a Tim Burton twist.
  7. Jun 30, 2013
    Coraline is a masterpiece with insightful and clever stop-motion animation that will entertain you like never before. The 3D is absorbing and intelligent, Athena wise 3D use. The plot is original and riveting, with a pleasant and fascinating ending that you will never expect it coming. Coraline easily is imaginative, powerful and surprisingly, one of the greatest works done in a long time.
  8. Jun 26, 2013
    Many reviewers said that Coraline is boring and dull, as it turns out, Coraline is one of my favorite animated movies of all time, it is original and so meant for kids, it deals with a lot of mature themes (murder, child abuse) it is visually dazzling and the plot is enchanting, original and thrilling, this is one of the best animated movies ever made. I Love Coraline.
  9. May 17, 2013
    "Coraline" is described in one word, which is "Magical", but to be fair, it is more than that, wonderful and amazing, beautiful and new "original", it is creepy and scary but it is still my favorite movie of the year, my favorite animation, and one of my favorite movies of all time PERIOD.
  10. Jan 12, 2013
    Very good movie that combines animation with terror child.
  11. Zal
    Dec 14, 2012
    Coraline was one of my favorite books in middle school. When I heard that there was going to be a movie version, I was excited. And the movie did not disappoint.

The story has an Alice in Wonderland vibe since it involves a young girl ending up in topsy turvy word. It reminds me of Corpse Bride in the designs of the two worlds where the real world is grey and drab while the alternate
    world is colorful and fantastical. I love the design of the Other Mother's world. It's bright and colorful and everything is made to please Coraline. However, as Coraline starts to resist, everything becomes darker and the Other Mother looks less and less human. And I don't know about anyone else, but the climax scared me to death.

I also enjoyed the characters. Coraline is a believable kid. She's kooky and weird and has strange taste in fashion. She gets on her parents nerves but she just wants them to to pay attention to her. The parents are also believable. There are times when my parents are so wrapped up in their work that they don't have time for me. They aren't bad people. They're just unbelivably stressed. The Other Mother is freaky as hell. She really seems like the kind of mother we all wish we had. She's funny and loving and gives you whatever you want. Too bad she's doing it so that she can ensnare and kill you. The other characters are mostly hit or miss.

Fans of the book might not like the changes made, but I think there were for the better. The book lacked detailed descriptions about Coraline's appearance. I really liked the blue hair. It fits her character. I also like the addition of Wybie. While he wasn't a HUGE part of the plot, they made his character relevant. And thank god they didn't make him a love interest.

I can understand why people wouldn't like it as much. It does have a lot of slow moments, but I liked those scenes because they were used to show us what kind of person Coraline is and about her relationship with her parents and Wybie.

I'm not sure if it will appeal to Tim Burton fans. It doesn't strike the same balance between macabre, comedy, and whimsy, but it's not trying to be The Nightmare Before Christmas. The only things it has in common with it is stopmotion and director Henry Selick. If you like stopmotion, this is a good movie to see.

And if you liked this movie, watch Laika's other major stopmotion film, ParaNorman.
  12. Dec 3, 2012
    My favorite movie ever. I loved the story and its dark humor, the animation, the lightning was beautiful and most of all the voice acting (mostly from Teri Hatcher, she was the best!). I can't believe this movie would get bad reviews! :)
  13. Nov 12, 2012
    There's nothing like being led into another world.
  14. Sep 8, 2012
    Ok, so, my family and I decided to go to the movies, just to do something fun. We decide on Coraline... because it was, apparently, the only family movie available... so, we go in and sit down. Not even halfway through the movie, my parents ask me if I wanna leave. The only reason I said "no," was to see how much worse the movie could get. I was absolutely shocked. It was one of the worst, if not, the worst movie I have ever seen! I don't get all the critics making a big deal over this saying,"Great movie! Blah Blah Blah." Neither my Dad, Mom, or my sister enjoyed it. What a disappointment! It was too weird, the story made no sense. The only thing decent, was the 3D, otherwise, it sucks. 2/10 from me. Expand
  15. May 24, 2012
    I can understand the overall story very easily so this is really perfect for children aged 4-6. I love the creativity and the imagination of the whole movie. The graphics are great, so visually it has impact to people watching it. We can also learn something from this movie which I can relate to. An excellent movie for all ages....
  16. May 4, 2012
    I saw this movie with the family, and there wasn't a single one of us who enjoyed it. Very disappointing given the hype about it. The story was boring, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, regardless of age.
  17. Feb 15, 2012
    A masterpiece i have watched this movie at least 25 times the originality is amazing. They changed things from the book for the better things actually seem to come together better in the movie then the book which never happens. The claymation and voice acting are done amazingly and you can relate to the main character thoughout the whole movie all and all this is what movies should be like in the future A+++ Expand
  18. Dec 18, 2011
    Henry Selick takes Neil Gaiman's imaginative story and makes wonders with it with thrills, dark humor, great stop motion animation, and a cool original score make Coraline one of the best animated films ever made in my opinion. I give this movie 93%.
  19. Oct 28, 2011
    "Coraline" is very basic in terms of story structure or voice acting. But it's the originality that pushes this visually magnificent movie into the stage of performances. Overall a well-made animation that audiences of every age will definitely enjoy.
  20. May 13, 2011
    It's surprisingly dark to be called a family film but it seems to go well but is could be better than it actually is that said it was one of my favourites from 2009.
  21. Nov 2, 2010
    A very very beautiful work of art in the form of a movie. That is the best way I can describe it. This movie is dark and at the same time offers the viewer the chance to experience a wide variety of emotions as the movie progresses. I think the story and the pacing are well done and the voice actors did a fantastic job matching the animated characters. This movie is a must buy for fans of this sub genre of animated movies. Expand
  22. Oct 29, 2010
    this movie is by far an excellent stop-motion movie for kids and their families with the help of the supporting acting, nice visuals, and very amazing characters.
  23. Aug 26, 2010
    I thought Coraline was going to have very scary moments - but I was wrong. Coraline is a great movie, thrilling, exciting, everything! You have to see it. PG is reccomended, Coraline may create nightmares on most sensitive (New York Post, thanks) children. Coraline, a great movie deserves a great review.
  24. Aug 13, 2010
    Coraline really provides an interesting story with some very nice visuals! It is very engaging and it definitely involves the viewer to figure out what is happening out. Visually, there are some beautiful scenes, and besides the unusual animation style it is still captivating, but nowhere nearly as beautiful as some new animated films, such as "Up" or "Wall-E". Nevertheless, a very nice animated film. Collapse

This is perhaps the most effective 3-D movie I have ever seen, with a sophisticated, involving story that will appeal to many adults. The only reservation I have is with the PG rating, which seems too lenient for a story that may give very young children - particularly if they are sensitive - nightmares.
    The combination of 3-D photography and puppet-animation - centered on actual figures designed by hand and manipulated frame by frame - creates a world that's dense, active and fluid: a sensory Jacuzzi.
  3. Reviewed by: Jenni Miller
    The story is creepy fun and 100-percent different than whatever other crap is flooding the February market.