The Weinstein Company | Release Date: December 2, 2011
7.0
Generally favorable reviews based on 59 Ratings
Watch Now
worleyjamersJan 27, 2013
Coriolanus is not for everyone, in fact many people will likely hate it. I can't say I particularly loved the film, but it features many admirable qualities nonetheless. The cinematography is really good. Although it borrows heavily from it'sCoriolanus is not for everyone, in fact many people will likely hate it. I can't say I particularly loved the film, but it features many admirable qualities nonetheless. The cinematography is really good. Although it borrows heavily from it's Shakespearean roots, making it hard to understand, the script and solid and the actors deliver it wonderfully. The performances are all top-notch, Vanessa Redgrave in particular is stunning; she steals every scene she's in. If you're a fan of Shakespeare you absolutely must see this, and if you're not, it is still a good film even though it wasn't my cup of tea. Expand
nascentMay 14, 2012
Fiennes' acting is great, but the direction is fairly eccentric, with MTV-style editing and extreme closeups ala Tony Scott style.

The overall movie is pretty gimmicky, it's just Shakespeare with explosions and a modern day set design. The dialog isn't altered to fit the new style, nor is it particularly interesting to follow in it's theatrical overbearing dialog scenes, where rarely more than 2 of the dozens of con-screen actors ever talk at a time.

The film would've been far better as a more true adaptation keeping things in their time period. Trying to randomly bring everything to a modern and American setting makes no sense, and keeping the dialog in it's untouched original form means the film is only going to be enjoyable by self-proclaimed Shakespeare fans.

This won't be the film that makes Shakespeare interesting or identifiable to you.
Dimitris01Nov 20, 2013
Did the people who made this film know the differences between cinema and theater? I think not. That's why the characters speak as if they are on stage and the city of modern Rome has a population of one hundred people and an army of thirty.Did the people who made this film know the differences between cinema and theater? I think not. That's why the characters speak as if they are on stage and the city of modern Rome has a population of one hundred people and an army of thirty. Moreover, why didn't they place the story in antiquity? Their 'modern Rome' is just an average city of today with dysfunctional institutions. Fiennes' powerful performance and Shakespeare's finely crafted story depicting the destructive consequences of human pride and jealousy and the ingratitude of the people are wasted here.
argonautis.eu
InductivistJun 20, 2012
I can give this film a tepid thumbs up for two reasons: 1) great acting by Fiennes and Redgrave, and 2) Shakespeare is always worth the effort. The exchanges between the two actors are mesmerizing, and the Bard's words are music to the ears.
MIKALEMar 17, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To be honest I struggled with the dialogue and it really killed my experience of this one. Wished they had gone all the way with turning this in to a contemporary take on the original material with the script too so the more average minded peeps like myself could get a better understanding of the drama unfolding.

There were some interesting things going on, I really wanted to get some insight into the whole drama of a man turning on his own country and family and it seemed like the film might have drawn some interesting parallels to modern events but unfortunately I couldn't figure out much of it.

Performances seemed strong and great visuals too.

Definitely one best left to the Shakespeare types to figure out though.