Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: September 16, 2005
8.0
Generally favorable reviews based on 433 Ratings
WATCH NOW
HalfwelshmanSep 17, 2012
Corpse Bride is sweet and sincere, dark and funny, and perhaps the most technically accomplished and beautiful example of stop-motion animation ever. A great British voice cast fronted by Johnny Depp (OK he's not British but plays theCorpse Bride is sweet and sincere, dark and funny, and perhaps the most technically accomplished and beautiful example of stop-motion animation ever. A great British voice cast fronted by Johnny Depp (OK he's not British but plays the cripplingly shy young English gent Victor Van Dort well) and featuring Emily Watson, Joanna Lumley, Albert Finney, Paul Whitehouse, Tracey Ullman, Jane Horrocks, Michael Gough, Christopher Lee and Richard E. Grant simply astounds - few directors other than Tim Burton would be able to command the respect of such an array of talent. Helena Bonham Carter blows all away however with her tender performance as Emily, the tragic character of the title. She's a compelling, rounded protagonist and Bonham Carter takes her characterisation in many directions, from child-like immaturity, to bitterness at her situation to eventual dignified acceptance of her untimely demise, and every emotion in-between. The contrast between the sombre, formal and grey world world of the living and the lively, colourful and free land of the dead is striking and effective - Burton has retained his go-to theme of not belonging in the world you are born in, and still has a unique view of death and a distinctive and individual use of cheerfully macabre imagery. In addition to the detail and expressiveness of the puppets and the energy of the animation (supervised by the film's incredibly talented co-director Mike Johnson), Danny Elfman's rich soundtrack and catchy songs, particularly the jazzy "Remains of the Day" and the rip-roaring "Wedding Song" breathe real life into the film. Though the film has much to say about life, death, class, family, love and loneliness, what makes it so memorable is that Tim Burton has provided us with such an entertainingly oddball piece of fantasy escapism. The world of Corpse Bride is a real pleasure to spend time in, and you really grow attached to the weird and wonderful cast of misfits, be they corpse or not. Burton's kookiness and abundance of unusual ideas can sometimes get in the way of telling a coherent, evenly paced story (most noticeably in his recent efforts Alice in Wonderland and Dark Shadows), but not so here - Corpse Bride is a pleasingly simple tale well-told, and characters and their performers are allowed to make a real emotional connection with the viewer. For a film manufactured using an archaic form of animation that seems to aim to actively reject reality, and which prominently features the reanimated dead, it's an oddly human, and miraculously heart-tugging experience, and is probably the most balanced and immaculate of all Tim Burton's films. Expand
PeterWhatAug 31, 2011
When I was going to watch this movie for the very first time, I thought it would be bloody awful. The movie flattered me: it's so beautiful, so full of content, and so carefully made! Tim Burton is yet to make a bad movie.
csw12Jun 30, 2013
Corpse Bride is good not great. Joyfully brilliant animation and wonderful music are unfortunately muddled by a boring plot and depressing and empty characters.
Trev29Jul 21, 2013
A story about the dead seems so fresh, alive, and beautiful. This is among Burton's best work. His brilliance for creating imagery and tone is why he is one of Hollywood's most distinguished directors.
SpangleOct 9, 2015
Wow, Corpse Bride truly shocked me. Ultimately, what we got was a beautiful blend of Tim Burton's creepy gothic look, a Halloween-esque backdrop, and a wonderful meditation on love and marriage. Featuring brilliant voice acting from theWow, Corpse Bride truly shocked me. Ultimately, what we got was a beautiful blend of Tim Burton's creepy gothic look, a Halloween-esque backdrop, and a wonderful meditation on love and marriage. Featuring brilliant voice acting from the entire cast, especially Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Emily Watson, and Albert Finney, the film strikes many a chord throughout, but never ceases to be visually stunning. Honestly, this may be one of the best animated films I have ever encountered. The attention to detail and true visual splendor, is incredible. The final sequence may be one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen in a film before. Just...wow. In addition, the music is stellar, but all things created by Danny Elfman have to be, no? I think that is a rule at this point. Overall, Corpse Bride is a wonderful animated film that is funny, romantic, charming, and magnificently animated and created. Expand
dante_finnNov 22, 2012
Tim Burton carries on his dark, romantic tradition
SEROJFeb 16, 2016
Characters are boring, the plot is nothing special and i think you shouldn't waste your time on this overrated animation. I wouldn't watch it again - 3/10
pkstarstorm823Jul 21, 2013
Didn't enjoy it. It was too boring, the plot seemed pretty stupid, and I disliked most of the characters, though I will praise the animation and voixe acting however...
lukechristianscSep 29, 2014
"Johnny Depp and Helen Bonham Carter are the best animation couple in a tim burton film". Tim Burton is like a book with gotham stories that seem strange at first you'll it as you get to know the characters also the story much better once"Johnny Depp and Helen Bonham Carter are the best animation couple in a tim burton film". Tim Burton is like a book with gotham stories that seem strange at first you'll it as you get to know the characters also the story much better once you see his movies. Grade A+ Expand
Parappafan1996Jan 13, 2015
The best animated love story to date, a beautiful animated classic and a must watch for Valentines Day or Halloween (I guess The Nightmare before Christmas ain't the only film with two holidays included)
LzrtagwinaBurneApr 13, 2016
The movie is set to quite a dark theme, which lifts as soon as Johnny Depp enters your life...I mean voices victor on the screen. It has the sort of humor that will make you have a little giggle even on the second watch of it....giggling onThe movie is set to quite a dark theme, which lifts as soon as Johnny Depp enters your life...I mean voices victor on the screen. It has the sort of humor that will make you have a little giggle even on the second watch of it....giggling on the third time? I'll watch & write another review tomorrow, as I really wanna know! The corpse bride (eye popping out, maggots on her face & worst of all she doesn't shower!) is dubbed pretty by my 'ladyfriend'.... yet she herself would rather not go out without her make-up on....not realizing her own beauty? Should I get her some Maggots? Please comment below, help?

So THIS story ends with a huge plot twist!! ** Spoiler ALERT**

- You fall asleep just before half-way & wake up near the credits
- You end up using your imagination on how the movie went or asking an attentive 'ladyfriend'

Dark, JD, Giggling, Drop dead 'gorgeous' CB, maggots - All THIS combined gets a SOLID - 'Meh'

10/10!!!

*Update 3rd time still a giggle, stay tuned for a 4th update.