7.3

1. Oct 31, 2010
    Well, I thought it was great but Nightmare Before Christmas was just a tad better. The songs were good, and the characters just gave it that Tim Burton twang that we all know and love.
  2. Nov 29, 2010
    it is a terrible movie i dont now why i wasted my ime watching it i am never going to listen to critics again because the all gave it great reviews for all those people trying to decide wether to watch it don't just 't and whoe ver had the idea to put depp in a voice role is just plane stupid i am so sick of these terrible movies!!!
  3. Dec 30, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I myself am not a big fan of the Gothic style of Tim Burton's animated films. Rarely are there any shades of orange or yellow or any bright, non-depressing colors. However, I think Burton uses these different shades and hues as a metaphor; the living world contains most of the black and gray and the world of limbo (after reviewing the movie, I was surprised by the idea that the world Victor had been dragged into was limbo, rather than the world of the dead) contained more bright colors and happier characters. This film shows what love really is, not typical beauty and infatuation, but actually finding something in common with someone. The realization of the bride at the end of the film and her transition into the afterlife was illustrated very well. In short, this film is a nice love story and has an ending that isn't as typical as I thought it would be. Expand
  4. Sep 17, 2012
    Corpse Bride is sweet and sincere, dark and funny, and perhaps the most technically accomplished and beautiful example of stop-motion animation ever. A great British voice cast fronted by Johnny Depp (OK he's not British but plays the cripplingly shy young English gent Victor Van Dort well) and featuring Emily Watson, Joanna Lumley, Albert Finney, Paul Whitehouse, Tracey Ullman, Jane Horrocks, Michael Gough, Christopher Lee and Richard E. Grant simply astounds - few directors other than Tim Burton would be able to command the respect of such an array of talent. Helena Bonham Carter blows all away however with her tender performance as Emily, the tragic character of the title. She's a compelling, rounded protagonist and Bonham Carter takes her characterisation in many directions, from child-like immaturity, to bitterness at her situation to eventual dignified acceptance of her untimely demise, and every emotion in-between. The contrast between the sombre, formal and grey world world of the living and the lively, colourful and free land of the dead is striking and effective - Burton has retained his go-to theme of not belonging in the world you are born in, and still has a unique view of death and a distinctive and individual use of cheerfully macabre imagery. In addition to the detail and expressiveness of the puppets and the energy of the animation (supervised by the film's incredibly talented co-director Mike Johnson), Danny Elfman's rich soundtrack and catchy songs, particularly the jazzy "Remains of the Day" and the rip-roaring "Wedding Song" breathe real life into the film. Though the film has much to say about life, death, class, family, love and loneliness, what makes it so memorable is that Tim Burton has provided us with such an entertainingly oddball piece of fantasy escapism. The world of Corpse Bride is a real pleasure to spend time in, and you really grow attached to the weird and wonderful cast of misfits, be they corpse or not. Burton's kookiness and abundance of unusual ideas can sometimes get in the way of telling a coherent, evenly paced story (most noticeably in his recent efforts Alice in Wonderland and Dark Shadows), but not so here - Corpse Bride is a pleasingly simple tale well-told, and characters and their performers are allowed to make a real emotional connection with the viewer. For a film manufactured using an archaic form of animation that seems to aim to actively reject reality, and which prominently features the reanimated dead, it's an oddly human, and miraculously heart-tugging experience, and is probably the most balanced and immaculate of all Tim Burton's films. Expand
  5. Aug 31, 2011
    When I was going to watch this movie for the very first time, I thought it would be bloody awful. The movie flattered me: it's so beautiful, so full of content, and so carefully made! Tim Burton is yet to make a bad movie.
  6. Jun 30, 2013
    Corpse Bride is good not great. Joyfully brilliant animation and wonderful music are unfortunately muddled by a boring plot and depressing and empty characters.
  7. Jul 21, 2013
    A story about the dead seems so fresh, alive, and beautiful. This is among Burton's best work. His brilliance for creating imagery and tone is why he is one of Hollywood's most distinguished directors.
  8. Nov 22, 2012
    Tim Burton carries on his dark, romantic tradition
  9. Jul 21, 2013
    Didn't enjoy it. It was too boring, the plot seemed pretty stupid, and I disliked most of the characters, though I will praise the animation and voixe acting however...

1. A wondrous flight of fancy, a stop-motion-animated treat brimming with imaginative characters, evocative sets, sly humor, inspired songs and a genuine whimsy that seldom finds its way into today's movies.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    An endearingly schizoid Frankenstein of a movie, by turns relentlessly high-spirited and darkly poignant.
    It's warped and wonderfully effervescent. Ditto the songs by Danny Elfman, who sings the role of Bonejangles, the frontman for a skeleton jazz band at a swinging underworld club. Best of all is the love story.