Entertainment One | Release Date: August 17, 2012
5.3
Mixed or average reviews based on 105 Ratings
Watch Now
someone132Nov 24, 2013
This movie might not be a masterpiece per se, but personally I loved it. It is a slow-burner, and a lot of the dialogues don't make much sense initially. In fact, I would say the movie only really begins to hit its stride once it passes theThis movie might not be a masterpiece per se, but personally I loved it. It is a slow-burner, and a lot of the dialogues don't make much sense initially. In fact, I would say the movie only really begins to hit its stride once it passes the 40-minute mark.

From then on, however, it all begins to make sense, and the director's intent becomes clear. The final conversation of the film is truly electrifying, and the ending fits the film perfectly. Much like Inception, it really is one of those films you should watch several times to trace the complexity of events on the screen, and appreciate how every detail fits into the message of the film, with nothing being wasted. The dialogue in the film is also very diverse and memorable, with each person saying something different, all meaningful in their own ways. If you're tired of generic, cliched character archetypes, this should the film for you.
rintakumpuSep 5, 2012
Pinteresque, Beckettian, unreal, surreal and closer to a stage play than cinema, Cronenberg's slick, cerebral, cold and topical masterpiece defines the 21st Century Absurd.
MegWhiteleyAug 17, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After watching Bel Ami, Robert Pattinson returns in this new Cronenberg movie with Cosmopolis, a movie that be based on the Don DeLilo's book. The story of Cosmopolis is the next, the billionare Eric Parker (Pattinson) rides slowly across Manhattan in his limousine that he uses as his office while on his way to his preferred barber, even though there are traffic jams. The development of the story is very interesting, have much impressive moments. The Pattinson's performance is really amazing, after we watch he on Water for Elephants, Remember Me and Bel Ami we watch that this is his best performance. The screenplay is great. Cosmopolis is an amazing movie. Expand
SeriosityNov 15, 2012
A strange, polarizing film. Aesthetically pleasing, intellectually stimulating. The performances are uniformly solid, with Robert Pattinson in particular having great scene presence. The rapid dialogue is cold and didactic and sure to leaveA strange, polarizing film. Aesthetically pleasing, intellectually stimulating. The performances are uniformly solid, with Robert Pattinson in particular having great scene presence. The rapid dialogue is cold and didactic and sure to leave many viewers uninterested, but somewhere in the unending verbal masturbation is a story being told. Expand
Wes_BrewerFeb 23, 2013
The only, and tragic, flaw of this film is the great demands it places on the few this film is enjoyably exhausting, abstract, and layered so thickly with meaning and purpose. Cosmopolis is one of the most under appreciated film of its year,The only, and tragic, flaw of this film is the great demands it places on the few this film is enjoyably exhausting, abstract, and layered so thickly with meaning and purpose. Cosmopolis is one of the most under appreciated film of its year, and a film that shouldn’t be watched just once. Expand
VidsRuleJan 4, 2013
Cronenberg's return to form is highly welcome, and although it didn't set the world on fire, hopefully it means more moody, strange movie's from him. History of Violence and Eastern Promises were good (Dangerous Method was aweful), but I wantCronenberg's return to form is highly welcome, and although it didn't set the world on fire, hopefully it means more moody, strange movie's from him. History of Violence and Eastern Promises were good (Dangerous Method was aweful), but I want weirdness from Cronenberg! The mood of the movie and Patterson's acting were perfect. But the characters met on the way were too often booring and pointless, and this is Giamatti's worst role ever. Some perfect writing here, the way Patterson states 'I have a non-symetrical prostate' in the middle of conversation is too hilarious. Expand
ExpectonerJan 8, 2013
My note is 8 Because i have a licence of philosophy and i love special movies. But for a normal person I would say that : " this movie is completely unwatchable ! ". My girlfriend just hate this film ^^
SpangleNov 15, 2015
Cosmopolis is cold and distant, but it is with a purpose as our protagonist is not one of us and is a member of the 1%. We are supposed to feel disconnected from him. Robert Pattinson is absolutely phenomenal here. He brings a measure ofCosmopolis is cold and distant, but it is with a purpose as our protagonist is not one of us and is a member of the 1%. We are supposed to feel disconnected from him. Robert Pattinson is absolutely phenomenal here. He brings a measure of openness, but at the same time, smugness and pompousness that was needed. He is brilliant. The supporting cast is also great. The direction from David Cronenberg is great as usual and so is the cinematography. Honestly, it is impressive for a film to be so cold and uninviting, yet so brilliant at the same time. This film is incredibly divisive, which is understandable. It simply won't appeal to everyone, but regardless, Pattinson is a thing to behold here and this a film that should move to expunge Twilight from his resume. Expand
talisencrwMay 4, 2016
I really enjoyed this Cronenberg film. Though my favourite films of his are the incredible ones he did in my teens, during the 80's ('Videodrome', 'The Dead Zone' and 'The Fly' are nothing short of outstanding, and works that no one elseI really enjoyed this Cronenberg film. Though my favourite films of his are the incredible ones he did in my teens, during the 80's ('Videodrome', 'The Dead Zone' and 'The Fly' are nothing short of outstanding, and works that no one else could have come up with), he's really been thinking outside of the box for the past decade (even for a consistently interesting creature such as he), and it's only been recently, with both Sarah Polley and Denis Villeneuve emerging as vital directors, that his ranking as the greatest Canadian director ever chas even had suitable competition for comparison.

I remembered when this came out, and I believe a critic from 'The Globe and Mail' interviewed Cronenberg at its opening at Cannes, and he was almost apologetic about using Pattinson. It sounded like he didn't want to have to direct him. He made the excuse that he couldn't get funding for his projects from North America anymore, which is a dirty rotten shame, and had to go to Europe and Asia any time he wanted to make a film in order to have it bankrolled, and the Japanese insisted on star power to put moviegoers in the seats, and said there'd only be financial backing if Cronenberg directed Pattinson. This was my first experience watching the actor's work, and he did a fine job, no problem. The supporting cast was strong, with many of my favourite character actors of late, such as Paul Giamatti and Jay Baruchel. The script, co-written by Cronenberg, was a strong statement about just how out of touch the very rich are with the other 99% of us. I docked my mark by 1/10 because I was pissed off that Cronenberg degraded one of the finest actresses of our lifetime, Juliette Binoche here. I can't even talk about it. It was as difficult for me to tolerate as Spike Lee having Christopher Plummer call Jodie Foster a c*** in the otherwise excellent 'Inside Man'. Lee's off my Christmas card list for sure this year, but Cronenberg being a fellow Canadian (I bet you thought I was going to say white, hahaha), I'll be less angry. But he better look over his shoulder if he tries something like THAT again. I was THAT close to crossing HIM off my Christmas card list too...

I also remember from the time the film came out, an article and rating on the film (I think it was 'The Globe and Mail' as well, and by the same critic who had earlier interviewed him), saying that when he watched it, he watched a few teenage girls leaving the theatre (most probably because Pattinson was in it), saying it was the worst movie they had ever seen. That's the only evidence you need that this is a fine movie, well worth your time.
johnslegersJan 3, 2016
Robbie Collin of The Telegraph gave the film four stars out of five, stating, "It's a smart inversion of Cronenberg's 1999 film eXistenZ: rather than being umbilically connected to a virtual world, Packer is hermetically sealed off from theRobbie Collin of The Telegraph gave the film four stars out of five, stating, "It's a smart inversion of Cronenberg's 1999 film eXistenZ: rather than being umbilically connected to a virtual world, Packer is hermetically sealed off from the real one."

"Cosmopolis" is a movie about what it feels to be disconnected from the "real world". It's a movie about the nihilism, despair and boredom of those who're without a meaningful goal or purpose on their lives.

This movie isn't for everyone, though. The less you can relate to the disconnect of the movie, the more this movie will leave you disconnected as well.

One thing is almost guaranteed, though: this movie will make an impression. "Cosmopolis" is one of those movies people tend to either passionately love or passionately hate. It's one of these movies that either resonate throughout throughout your soul or fail to reach you at all.

If you like Cronenberg's movies, definitely check it out.