5.9

1. Jul 29, 2011
    Cowboys & Aliens is very entertaining. Is it art? No. It's just great commercial entertainment. It's an exciting, funny, scary way to spend a couple of hours. It's shot beautifully. The casting is first rate. The faces on the old west guys are worth the price of admission. It's not nearly as good a film as the first Alien movie, but it has a lot of the same scary/entertaining qualities. IfCowboys & Aliens is very entertaining. Is it art? No. It's just great commercial entertainment. It's an exciting, funny, scary way to spend a couple of hours. It's shot beautifully. The casting is first rate. The faces on the old west guys are worth the price of admission. It's not nearly as good a film as the first Alien movie, but it has a lot of the same scary/entertaining qualities. If you want to have a fun ride on a Friday night or Saturday afternoon this the movie to see. Should you see it now or wait until it's available to rent? See it in a theater. The sound and visual effects demand a big screen. You can rent it later. Because you'll want to see it again. Expand
  2. Jul 30, 2011
    Cowboys & too many Aliens...begins well but ends up as a Spielberg cliché

There is a certain amount of assurance you expect when you know that the film involves Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, Spielberg and Favreau. The film in the end delivered only that much. Daniel Craig shines out of dirt, looks good and acts very well as a rough & tough cowboy. The initial build up works
    Cowboys & too many Aliens...begins well but ends up as a Spielberg cliché

Daniel Craig shines out of dirt, looks good and acts very well as a rough & tough cowboy. The initial build up works very well, raises the expectation, raises it further with Harrison Ford in a new befitting character of a veteran cowboy/colonel. Then, enter the aliens, i liked it to begin with but then found my fingers getting crossed. In next 20 odd minutes it made me feel that this cowboys+aliens experiment is now trying to satisfy only the kids in the theater. The initial feel good fizzled into a cliché sci-fi flick. Nevertheless, i enjoyed myself going through the experiment, watching the cowboy part, lovely flying machines & cinematography. To conclude with it could be an amazing film had the aliens part treated as subtly as Daniel Craig in his cowboy avatar. Perhaps the way M Night Shyamlan did in the Signs.
  3. Jul 30, 2011
    A pure Western to the core! This film is so beautifully filmed and the genre mash-up works very well. The aliens are great and Craig plays an excellent cowboy. Ford is perfect as ever. This film is just plain fun and it is definitely worth price for admission. Yep, this one will be in my blu-ray collection!
  4. Jul 31, 2011
    I truly hope that the reviews of this movie do not affect its box office performance. This was a wonderfully entertaining summer movie, never intended to win any academy awards (except possibly for SFX) that was the greatest fun I've had with aliens since Independence Day. This movie made me feel like a kid again, and I simply can't wait to see it. Well done to EVERYONE involved in thisI truly hope that the reviews of this movie do not affect its box office performance. This was a wonderfully entertaining summer movie, never intended to win any academy awards (except possibly for SFX) that was the greatest fun I've had with aliens since Independence Day. This movie made me feel like a kid again, and I simply can't wait to see it. Well done to EVERYONE involved in this movie's production. Expand
  5. Nov 30, 2011
    At first I thought, woah, this seems like a pretty ridiculous movie. The aliens would just pulverize the cowboys but I thought hey, it'll be a good laugh i'll rent it anyway. and boy was I surprised, it was actually a pretty good film, the story was pretty good and made you think about it and the fight scenes were also rather well made. I don't see why people are rating it down so much,At first I thought, woah, this seems like a pretty ridiculous movie. The aliens would just pulverize the cowboys but I thought hey, it'll be a good laugh i'll rent it anyway. and boy was I surprised, it was actually a pretty good film, the story was pretty good and made you think about it and the fight scenes were also rather well made. I don't see why people are rating it down so much, it's a good film. Expand
  6. Jul 29, 2011
    It's a strange movie when you think about it, but that's why you should like it! I was very impressed by the first 40 minutes of this film, I might say that it's the best 40 minutes of any film this year, thus far. But once the Aliens came the film did what it should have avoided, began a very convoluted plot that not only confuses the audience but slightly angers them, or maybe that wasIt's a strange movie when you think about it, but that's why you should like it! I was very impressed by the first 40 minutes of this film, I might say that it's the best 40 minutes of any film this year, thus far. But once the Aliens came the film did what it should have avoided, began a very convoluted plot that not only confuses the audience but slightly angers them, or maybe that was just me. But Cowboys & Aliens really pulled it together in it final frames and I must respect this film for that very reason. I give the western part 10/10 and the Sci-Fi part 8/10 thus combining for a very respectable 9out of 10. Expand
  7. Jul 30, 2011
    Wow. This movie was nonstop entertainment. I loved the stories within the story. Loved it!! The critics don't know squat and word of mouth will sell this movie. Very fun!! Must see in the theatre. Don't wait for redbox.
  8. FC1
    Jul 31, 2011
    This movie is very much a western with an obvious. very different twist. Watching this movie brought back the feelings and excitement of past western favorites like The Outlaw Josie Wales, and Silverado; mainly due to the slew of great character actors and the atmosphere they bring to all good movies. I know that people will say "too ridiculous" and" why add science fiction?". Well,This movie is very much a western with an obvious. very different twist. Watching this movie brought back the feelings and excitement of past western favorites like The Outlaw Josie Wales, and Silverado; mainly due to the slew of great character actors and the atmosphere they bring to all good movies. I know that people will say "too ridiculous" and" why add science fiction?". Well, the alien aspect IS very different, but I liked that it appears, and is taken by the townsfolk at face value; basically, there's a new villain in town. I say kick back and enjoy it. Aliens did not just appear in the 20th century (or am I getting my history confused?) I like that the movie just "is" and does away with over explanations. It begins right away with interest in the main characters, and continues with the energy and twists that keep it moving. To me, this movie, along with Captain America, and Super 8 allow you to get into the characters and then get involved with the action and special effects; not the other way around. I like it better that way. Expand
  9. Jul 31, 2011
    I listened to Jon Favreau talk about this film last year at Comic Con and he said he wanted to do a classic western with aliens. This film is exactly that; a western with aliens. Great actors, great scenery, hilarious dialogue. Overall if u like western films you should like this one. Don't pay attention to all the bad reviews, those people just didn't get it. When you see this movie justI listened to Jon Favreau talk about this film last year at Comic Con and he said he wanted to do a classic western with aliens. This film is exactly that; a western with aliens. Great actors, great scenery, hilarious dialogue. Overall if u like western films you should like this one. Don't pay attention to all the bad reviews, those people just didn't get it. When you see this movie just sit back relax and enjoy the movie for what it is. A western with aliens. Expand
  10. Aug 1, 2011
    One of the more well thought out and designed alien movies of late. Had surprising depth, a great cast, and no dearth of explosions or action. For what it is, and for what it's meant to be, 10 out of 10. It highly achieves in entertaining and telling a story.
  11. Aug 2, 2011
    I think that this movie is great fun. There is one minor character who caused some problems for me, but overall this movie was very enjoyable on all fronts. I think that the reason that the rating on this movie is so low is because it is genre bending, and many people do not like that at all.
  12. Aug 20, 2011
    For the genre this is a fun cliched cowboy and Indians movie that just happens up have aliens in it. I lived it, Ford was grumbling and cranky, Craig was hot and tough, and Wilde was smouldering as always... BrainCandy go see it!!!
  13. Aug 31, 2011
    This is also from my Rotten Tomatoes review:
    This is also from my Rotten Tomatoes review:
    Well this film was quite a good one. The acting was good, the story was decent and the aliens were quite scary and gruesome. So does it all add up well in the end? Well in my opinion it does and as a result it turns out to be a good watch. It isn't as good as the classic Iron Man is but it's still a very good film. Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford and even Olivia Wilde are very good in this movie. This is the best role and acting Olivia Wilde has done in my opinion. Heck even the kid from The Last Airbender was quite good in this which is a huge step forward for him. I hope he gets inroled in better films in the future. Another good thing is that the aliens weren't C.G.I. for 100% of the time even though they were C.G.I. for most of it. So they actually put some effort into everything in this film and in my opinion it is way better than the critics and most of the audience put it. But the only problem I had with this film was that it could have been a little bit longer. But that's not a problem since most of the time you're having good fun. So I'm giving this film a 9/10 for being a good science fiction movie but being a litte bit short as well.
  14. Sep 14, 2011
    I saw this movie with my wife and teenage daughter at the local cinema. At first I was a bit worried if my wife and daughter would enjoy a sci-fi action movie. I knew I would, because I am a huge star trek and star wars fan. For the whole duration of the movie, my wife and daughter never said a word to me. Also, we hardly touched our pop corn or pop soda. Brilliant movie, Great day out.I saw this movie with my wife and teenage daughter at the local cinema. At first I was a bit worried if my wife and daughter would enjoy a sci-fi action movie. I knew I would, because I am a huge star trek and star wars fan. For the whole duration of the movie, my wife and daughter never said a word to me. Also, we hardly touched our pop corn or pop soda. Brilliant movie, Great day out. You also need to see it on a big screen or cinema to appreciate it wholly. Expand
  15. Nov 24, 2011
    As an all round "alien-movie" fan, I must admit my score might be a bit biased. I'm also a huge Lindelof/Orci/Kurtzman fan. The film doesn't dally about getting to the point of the story, which is both a good and bad thing. Good for your average cinema goer and bad if you're fond of the twisted screenplays these guys are known for (MI:3 / Star Trek). The story seldom exhilirates or drivesAs an all round "alien-movie" fan, I must admit my score might be a bit biased. I'm also a huge Lindelof/Orci/Kurtzman fan. The film doesn't dally about getting to the point of the story, which is both a good and bad thing. Good for your average cinema goer and bad if you're fond of the twisted screenplays these guys are known for (MI:3 / Star Trek). The story seldom exhilirates or drives you to the edge of your seat. But that doesn't mean it isn't entertaining. The action and visual effects will keep the analytics glued. As far as acting goes Dan Craig pulls off the cowboy persona quite decently - albeit a bit formulaic. Wylde delivers all you could really expect from her which is nothing to write home about. Some of the best acting in the movie is actually left to the Sheriff Character's Grandson - believe it or not. Credit though, must be given to Ford's performance - as he really delivers one that forces you to attempt remembering who it is you're actually watching.

The movie is all-round entertaining. But breaks no new ground, in contrast with what we've grown accustomed to from the crew.
  16. Dec 5, 2011
    my summary, the worst thing about this movie is that I am not going to have my 118 minutes back.... ever. So, my rec. is that if you have anything better to do, for example, watching the flowers grow, don't hesitate.
  17. Dec 19, 2011
    Most people sitting here reviewing this movie, I think were looking for something incredible intelectually stimulating and emotionally compelling - Which is something you're never gonna get out of a movie like this. As ridiculous as the premise sounds, the film is incredibly entertaining and just damn cool. With good acting from the leads, a storyline that isn't too bad, and action scenesMost people sitting here reviewing this movie, I think were looking for something incredible intelectually stimulating and emotionally compelling - Which is something you're never gonna get out of a movie like this. As ridiculous as the premise sounds, the film is incredibly entertaining and just damn cool. With good acting from the leads, a storyline that isn't too bad, and action scenes that make you go 'God damn, that's cool!' I must say that this is one of my favourite movies to come out this year. Expand
  18. Dec 31, 2011
    As far as genre mashups go, Cowboys and Aliens pretty much takes the cake. The plot is absolutely ridiculous in a fun way, and the novelty of cowboys shooting aliens is unforgettable. Add in some comedic scenes and a wonderful cast mainly dominated by Daniel Craig, and you've got yourself one rollicking good time.
  19. Mar 2, 2012
    A strangely enjoyable movie that can be humorous and action packed, but surprisingly never cheesy even with the fact that it's just one big goofy idea, it succeeds because it takes itself seriously even when it could just give in and be a campy flick, it ca be a bit predictable at times but in the end comes together to be a highly enjoyable movie that I can't help but recommend.
  20. Mar 19, 2012
    This movie was very sad, exciting and thrilling. I would like to watch it again as it is very funny and sad at the same time!
  21. Apr 3, 2012
    First off, this is a 9 out of 10 Movie. Acting is good. Everyone does good. Score is really good. Story is good. This movie has quiet a good story. Also the visual effects, set pieces, and action sequences are really good. Overall, this is a great movie. Title sounds stupid, but it still delivers.
  22. Apr 6, 2012
    It's about time we had an new and original idea for a western! I admit, I was a bit hesitant - How could they possibly mix the two... but it came together and created what I crave most - something NEW!
  23. Apr 14, 2012
    This movie was surprisingly good. It had great action and a great mystery unraveling before our eyes, the only thing lacking was character development (not including the main character). It was a crazy cross between Sci-Fi and Western which they pulled off well, if you love westerns or sci-fi you would want to see this movie. Its worth watching.
  24. Jan 9, 2013
    This movie is one of Speilberg's greatest hits yet! I liked it. What could be better trhan seeing two figures that have a bunch of stories, and mixing them. I give this a ten out of ten because of the creativity that speilberg put into this.
  25. Feb 14, 2013
    I loved this movie! It`s a much more of an original idea then most of the same old same crap out there.It`s funny how crap like "Cabin in the Woods", get a high rating, but a fun movie like this gets trashed.
  26. Mar 31, 2013
    I don't care that it's got a silly title. "Cowboys & Aliens" is a straight-up super-sized platter of undiluted entertainment. Jon Favreau deftly weaves together the iconic genres of Western and sci-fi in a seamless plot that has fun with all the cliches and tropes of both worlds while making their mixing feel authentic and honest and it is just awesome. This is the kind of fun-lovingI don't care that it's got a silly title. "Cowboys & Aliens" is a straight-up super-sized platter of undiluted entertainment. Jon Favreau deftly weaves together the iconic genres of Western and sci-fi in a seamless plot that has fun with all the cliches and tropes of both worlds while making their mixing feel authentic and honest and it is just awesome. This is the kind of fun-loving action picture that I just die for. The effects are great, the scenery is spectacular, the vision is huge, the performances are lovely, the music is cool, and it's got friggin' Harrison Ford in a ten-gallon shooting aliens. How the hell can that not be fun? People can whine and moan about how stupid this movie is all they want they're missing the point. My absolute enduring favorite movies are always the ones that take themselves seriously while having total fun with themselves (ahem, "The Mummy" and "The Mummy Returns"). And this flick delivered that in total spades. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Aug 1, 2011
    A simple entertainment in a summer of overcomplicated disappointments. Also much harder-edged than you may have expected.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 31, 2011
    That is what kids will come away with, together with a dose of wishful thinking: the vague belief that, with good will and a foe from far away, all those feuding parties of the Wild West - the cowboys, the Indians, and the no-good rogues - could have settled their differences and got along just fine. Go tell it to Gary Cooper.
    An agreeable time-killer, but I'll bet a couple of clever kids could make a livelier movie with a Woody puppet and a Predator doll.