8.1

1. May 14, 2014
    Crash is one real exceptionally well-done film. The theme of racism really slaps you in the face, but it is followed by other underlying messages, such as redemption. The exposés to the first two vignettes are a tiny bit forced, but the transitions are smooth for all of them and the script is sharp and deliberate. Where the movie lacks it makes up for in acting, screenplay, and direction.Crash is one real exceptionally well-done film. The theme of racism really slaps you in the face, but it is followed by other underlying messages, such as redemption. The exposés to the first two vignettes are a tiny bit forced, but the transitions are smooth for all of them and the script is sharp and deliberate. Where the movie lacks it makes up for in acting, screenplay, and direction. Haggis knows what he's doing. Expand
  2. Oct 23, 2010
    Paul Haggis made this picture with a great passion flowing in his veins, fashioning honest, smart and true characters out of nothing, while winding them together in a plot that ennobles the cinema.
  3. Sep 5, 2013
    As 'Crash' unfolds and more and more characters are shown, it's clear that this is a realistic yet problematic study of human behaviour, it addresses various issues of how we react to various cultures and beliefs, but also shows the dark side and dangerous capabilities of our fellow man. In the ensemble cast include Brendan Fraser as the District Attorney, his opinionated and perhapsAs 'Crash' unfolds and more and more characters are shown, it's clear that this is a realistic yet problematic study of human behaviour, it addresses various issues of how we react to various cultures and beliefs, but also shows the dark side and dangerous capabilities of our fellow man. In the ensemble cast include Brendan Fraser as the District Attorney, his opinionated and perhaps paranoid wife played by Sandra Bullock, who are both carjacked by the talkative and philosophical Chris 'Ludacris' Bridges who has all the answers to the racial problems that sweep America, along with his friend.
    We also have a racist LAPD officer in Matt Dillon, who cuts a hardened and bitter man with his own personal grief, which he takes out on others, especially a black couple on their way home one night who have did nothing wrong, these two are played by Thandie Newton and Terrence Howard. In the bigger frame of it all we have recurring character Don Cheadle, a detective in Los Angeles. Of course these stories intertwine in often dramatic circumstances, some become unspoken enemies while others become unlikely heroes. The exact point here is the perception of the individuals being shown, many times there is no intent involved in this wide variety of characters, but their race is enough for other people to judge or be judged by, this message is relatable for the fact that this is still a problem, a problem which is addressed with the fullest attention by Paul Haggis, director and co-writer, who links these very different stories in the most unlikely yet understandable of ways, who could have thought that racist cop who basically molests an innocent woman, ends up saving the exact same woman from a burning car on the highway. Each of these people interact with each other one way or another, sometimes with tragic results.
    There is retribution, however, to be had with these characters, who learn the error of their ways through luck, chance, drastic circumstances or just talking to others, saying that, there are those who feel that they are indeed being discriminated against and want to take matters into their own hands one in particular being a Persian shop owner, played by Shaun Toub.
    The scope and detail that goes into making each character as interesting as the next, they all have hate and opinions, but all this proves is that they are human. A wonderful, calm and fitting score accompanies the film, highlighting pivotal points and shining moments. With a cast that also includes Ryan Phillippe, Jennifer Esposito and Michael Peña, there are some emotional and finely executed performances in the film, they each play a role that demands attention for the message they are sending, a problem is not necessarily being addressed and sorted, but it is being shown in plain sight for the world to see.
  4. EdS.
    May 7, 2005
    A little too pat to be great, but plenty of very powerful and affecting moments nonetheless - some genuinely funny moments, as well. The intertwining of the various stories is, for the most part, pretty clever; and things often turn out quite differently than you'd expect. Very good acting all around.
  5. RAS
    Jun 18, 2005
    Disgusting all the way around. Don't recommend it to anyone. Typical white mainstream media stereotypes of people of color. Garbage like this causes more problems rather than entertain. Warning to people of color: do not watch this crap. Walked out in the middle of the film.
  6. buzzl.
    Jun 19, 2005
    Let me start by admitting that i walked out after dillon/newton's 2nd encounter, so maybe i missed something pivotal. i just couldn't sit through this frustratingly manipulative, insanely overwrought, false, and downright insipid film. i was really looking forward to this film, especially living and having lived in LA all my life and experienced the racial climate here. this Let me start by admitting that i walked out after dillon/newton's 2nd encounter, so maybe i missed something pivotal. i just couldn't sit through this frustratingly manipulative, insanely overwrought, false, and downright insipid film. i was really looking forward to this film, especially living and having lived in LA all my life and experienced the racial climate here. this nonsense couldn't be more off base. the way race exhibits itself here in LA is far more subtle, and therefore more interesting and important to explore. this movie trivializes the whole subject. after the first few lines of dialogue spoken by cheadle's character, which i THOUGHT was the film's thesis, i was drawn in. and almost as quickly i was put off. great first 2 minutes though. Expand
  7. Debra
    Jun 20, 2005
    Preposterous and racist film that portrays the worst in people. Avoid.
  8. ThomasR.
    Apr 29, 2005
    Ugh, this is what happens when you take a handful of name actors and don't give them much to work with. The writing is pretty bad and the script takes its message and hits you over the head dozens upon dozens of times, when a more subtle approach would have worked much better.
  9. Jul 14, 2012
    You will probably never see a movie this good ever in your life,your fathers life and his fathers life.Trust me you have to watch it over and over just to appreciate the perfect acting.Simply stunning!.
  10. Jul 23, 2011
    there are a few movies that can improve our living situation on earth. crash offers to us to be kind and clement to other people. any color or any nationality.
  11. Nov 30, 2012
    Perfect movie. It's absolutely stunning all the time. It left me happy but sad at the same time; assuaged but also distraught. Superb actors, and screenplay and editing that totally deserved the Oscar. In my opinion, the music should've also got one. It underlays all these varied scenes with such feeling, it's just fantastic! One of the best movies I know!
  12. Jul 29, 2013
    Just in case anyone reads this, I ask if anyone has a direct line to Mick LaSalle? He's the critic for the San Fran Chronicle, and the guy is a complete douchebag-moron. He's left probably 50+ reviews that are so far from what he says about great films. This movie is not a 50/100.
  13. Nov 8, 2012
    A compelling and compulsively watchable piece of work with several great performances and some incredible sequences that will shake you to the core. It also gives a much needed message, and should serve as a wake up call to many Americans.
  14. May 27, 2013
    With "Crash" a beautifully fable-like story is executed with some heavy-handed thematics, but the film is still unquestionably top shelf on a technical and performance-centric level.
  15. Jun 7, 2013
    A great film. Crash really struck a chord with me, it's one of the most thought-provoking films I've experienced. Each character in the film is stripped completely to where every flaw is obvious to the audience. You'll relate to a character in the film much more than you would probably want to admit, but it's in this way that Crash effectively delivers a powerful punch. The film is hard,A great film. Crash really struck a chord with me, it's one of the most thought-provoking films I've experienced. Each character in the film is stripped completely to where every flaw is obvious to the audience. You'll relate to a character in the film much more than you would probably want to admit, but it's in this way that Crash effectively delivers a powerful punch. The film is hard, honest, realistic, and uncomfortable, but it absolutely works; the film gets right to the core of racism and so many other problems that plague our society. Features stunning work from a stellar cast. Deserved Best Picture in my mind. Expand
  16. Sep 27, 2011
    "Crash", a racial movie directed by the famous Paul Haggis, is a masterpiece. With a powerhouse cast with a good lead from the director, the movie starts with pain and anger and triumphantly ends with love and forgiveness. It surely is one of the greatest movies i've seen currently these days.
  17. GinaK.
    Jun 1, 2005
    Clearly written by a rich white person from Santa Monica who doesn't have a clue about life in the real Los Angeles. This movie makes Grand Canyon look deep. Maudlin manipulative glop.
  18. RBerens
    Jun 13, 2005
    If you're making a movie that positions itself as "hard-edged realism," it's probably best to avoid an excess of dramatic contrivance and coincidence. I lost count at about 65. This movie just plain sucked.
  19. Feb 23, 2011
    I think the negative reviewers are a little harsh, I wouldn't call it racist by any stretch of the imagination. But cliched as all hell? Yeah. This is typical hollywood masquerading, trying to be deep and meaningful. Lacks Robert Altmans subtle weird humanism in Short Cuts. Plagued by white guilt, the movie runs the complicated issue of race through Hollywoods dreaded machinery of doom,I think the negative reviewers are a little harsh, I wouldn't call it racist by any stretch of the imagination. But cliched as all hell? Yeah. This is typical hollywood masquerading, trying to be deep and meaningful. Lacks Robert Altmans subtle weird humanism in Short Cuts. Plagued by white guilt, the movie runs the complicated issue of race through Hollywoods dreaded machinery of doom, leaving just scraps of brilliant acting and dialogue submerged in a mire of annoyingly coincidental plotpoints. Expand
  20. j30
    Nov 9, 2011
    Not a great film. Mediocre at best. Brings up some important points and is powerful in some scenes, but too much filler and way too preachy. Maybe some better actors/actresses would help (Sandra Bullock, Ludacris and Brendan Fraser come on!). Micheal Pena is the soul of the movie and carries the weight of the film. I'm sorry, Brokeback was a better film and even Munich was better.
  21. Apr 2, 2012
    First off, I would give crash a 9.5 out of 10. Acting is really good. Terrence Howard and matt dillion I think were the best in the movie. Score is good. Story is really good. Telling the story of discrimination and the racist side is just happy, but at the same time powerful. Overall, this is a great movie. Highly recommended for everyone.
  22. Mar 1, 2013
    Don Cheadle's performance totally changed my perception of black people. They're the best. He's the best. Racial tension More like sexual tension, every time sexy Brendan Fraser is on screen. Watch it. Love it. Rewatch it. Peace. p.s When are we going to see another George of the Jungle sequel? I mean, HELLO! TARZAN! peace.
  23. Yossi
    Aug 20, 2005
    Great Film!!
  24. Jan 21, 2013
    It´s not the worst film ever. It has certain moments in which it wants to be a great film. There are some good performances. But everything is so contrived, laughable, some scenes made the theater laugh when I saw it back in the day. If there´s a big mistake in the history of the oscar awards it has to be this film winning Best Picture. Clearly a strange fix cos BrokebackIt´s not the worst film ever. It has certain moments in which it wants to be a great film. There are some good performances. But everything is so contrived, laughable, some scenes made the theater laugh when I saw it back in the day. If there´s a big mistake in the history of the oscar awards it has to be this film winning Best Picture. Clearly a strange fix cos Brokeback Mountain got Best Director few seconds before. I remember all critics in Spain saying "What?" All the other 4 nominees were so above this film, especially Munich and Brokeback mountain
    The issues here discussed have been many times addressed before, only that 10 times better. Forgettable film, in fact nobody remembers it now compared to other films from that same year
  25. Apr 24, 2012
    This movie is a must see. It is simply phenomenal. The plot is engaging and the acting is fantastic. It tackles complex social issues directly. Anyone who does not feel uncomfortable at some points of this movie should check their pulse. It's deep (in a good way).
  26. May 24, 2011
    This is the cheesiest, most maudlin self-serving pile of garbage I have ever seen. It was a little hackneyed early, but watchable thanks to decent pace and the occasional laugh. At about the three quarter mark, the cheesefest begins. I have never seen a movie so unintentionally funny. The blanks?
    The cloak of protection? "My guardian angel?"
    Snow in Los Angeles? Even one of these events
    The cloak of protection? "My guardian angel?"
    Snow in Los Angeles?

Even one of these events would take a movie over the cheese-limit. Did someone actually get paid to write this? Was it someone they pulled out of a high school creative writing class?

Used correctly, coincidence and the crossing of paths of otherwise unrelated storylines adds poignancy to a story. When you do it 600 times, not only does it lose any meaning - it becomes a joke. There's a tiny shred of something important and meaningful in this movie, but it's completely hidden behind horrible writing, bland acting and a mountain of stereotypes. Honestly - there isn't one believable character in the entire thing. Every single person is exactly what you'd expect...or the exact opposite of what you'd expect. No depth. No shades of gray. I hadn't had a laugh this good in a while, until I started reading some of the reviews of this pile of dreck on this site. I actually saw someone use the word "masterpiece." I laughed so hard I think I peed my pants a little. If you think this movie is a 10, please stop posting movie reviews.
  27. Jul 6, 2012
    "Crash" by Paul Haggis is a film with a terrible sense of scope and content. It
  28. BrendaR
    May 10, 2005
    Great movie! It's so dead-on accurate about real life.
  29. MichaelV.
    May 7, 2005
    I just came home from seeing this movie, and must say it is one of the best movies I have ever seen. Not very often such a special movie like this is made. One word: MASTERPIECE. Go see it.
  30. AngelaB.
    May 7, 2005
    As you watch this movie you can see yourself in the characters. it is so real and when you leave the theatre you can't stop thinking about it.
  31. BobJ.
    Aug 6, 2005
    Bad white man! Bad!!! Caucassian men beware... you will have a finger wagged in your face for two hours. The one lesson we all should walk away from this film with is People ALL suck at one time or another. Gee, I learned that from living life everyday. Give me something deper and less manipulative. So, I'm supposed to feel bad when a violent criminal meets an accidental fatal wound? Bad white man! Bad!!! Caucassian men beware... you will have a finger wagged in your face for two hours. The one lesson we all should walk away from this film with is People ALL suck at one time or another. Gee, I learned that from living life everyday. Give me something deper and less manipulative. So, I'm supposed to feel bad when a violent criminal meets an accidental fatal wound? A man that has been car jacked is more willing to be shot by the "racist" police rather than give up the criminal that kidnapped him at gunpoint only moments before? I suppose a police officer of a racially diverse background could not be shown as being a bit of a dirt bag? If want to feel bad about yourself, enjoy this film. To be honest... any film that creates this strong a reaction, even negetive, has an inherent artistic value. Save your moeny though, and wait for it to come on IFC. Expand
  32. CarolAnn
    May 10, 2005
    In a nutshell, this is a very derpressing racist movie demonstrating racial intolerance. It was so depressing that I walked out halfway through this film as did the few other people in the theater. Despite these glowing reviews that seemed to have loved it, I found it exploitative and very derogatory toward all races. Avoid.
  33. brad
    Aug 9, 2005
    Too predictable, very contrived and no real panacea to the universal problem of racism is offered in this movie.
  34. TomC.
    Aug 14, 2005
    What an overblown, inarticulate, clumsy and depressing film! The strokes are so broad, and most of the set-ups so obvious that even the bits that do work and are affecting are blown out of the water ten seconds later by something so eye-rollingly hideous - a girl is told that she's got her father's invisible shield to protect her against bullets... What happens next? Duh. Some What an overblown, inarticulate, clumsy and depressing film! The strokes are so broad, and most of the set-ups so obvious that even the bits that do work and are affecting are blown out of the water ten seconds later by something so eye-rollingly hideous - a girl is told that she's got her father's invisible shield to protect her against bullets... What happens next? Duh. Some of the stories are incredibly slight and trivial - Sandra Bullock has three conversations and that's her narrative. Other ones are insanely implausible - a TV director whose had two difficult experiences in a day after (presumably) a life of dealing with racial tensions, suddenly goes loopy for no obvious reason. Worst of all is the cynicism here - and this the bit where I really agree with one of the other reviewers here - the whole film operates on the assumption that people aren't good or bad, they're just trying to get through difficult circumstances - and it also operates under the assumption that if depressing and cynical films are 'artful' then REALLY depressing and cynical films must be Leonardo da Vincis. So everyone is corrupt or evil in one way or another - only one character is honourable all the way through, the rest are universally just different shades of self-involved wankery. You come out of the cinema not uplifted by people's struggles or wiser in the race wars, but sickened by your fellow man, disgusted by our whole revolting species. This isn't a tragedy, it's a self-indulgent, wallowing, decadent film that reveals the bankrupcy of the film-maker's spirit - a man who can afford the luxury of an absolute loss of faith and wants to take the whole world down with him. Not very good. I'd go as far as to say that in its representation of humans as universally corrupt, it's very nearly evil. Expand
  35. Aug 25, 2011
    Crash is a surprisingly intelligent and powerful drama at its core, but is ultimately bogged down by it's "message movie" triteness. It's the kind of movie Stanley Kramer would have made back in the 1960's.
  36. Nov 6, 2013
    Really good film that delves into the issue of racism from multiple perspectives, yet tells the same story; we all carry some kind of prejudice with us each and every day and these prejudices can have far reaching effects. Overall a really unsettling film. Great cast with great direction from Paul Haggis. Really well done as a whole.
  37. Mar 4, 2014
    While I did find the message incredibly overbearing and overexaggerated, especially at the beginning, the character and plot development is so touching and poignant in places that it nearly nullifies my earlier concerns. Great performances from the majority of the cast and overall a pretty solid film in my view.
  38. JoeyM.
    May 22, 2005
    Without giving anything away, allow me to say that the last scene with Sandra Bullock stunned me - I found myself all choked up. I didn't see this simple, moving moment coming. Excellent cast, some wonderfully tender, unexpected scenes and great acting from all. Ryan Phillippe, all is forgiven.
  39. kk
    May 9, 2005
    This film is suprisingly moving and Los Angeles in a nutshell. Matt Dillon is excellent.
  40. SteveN.
    May 9, 2005
    Amazingly emotional and all too real.
  41. natalie
    Jun 20, 2005
    A rare movie where the hard feelings existing across ethnic groups are all put on the table. Perhaps their exposure to the light of day will begin a withering process; the antidote to the growth produced by nurturing our prejudices privately.
  42. TrevorC.
    Jun 2, 2005
    Simply one of the best films ever made. This has joined my top-five favorite films. It's deep, emotional, touching and true. It hits home in every aspect and addresses a current problem with our society.
  43. JamesH
    Jun 27, 2005
    Superbly acted, beautifully written -- with the kind of insight and lyricism that is powerfully poetic.
  44. jerib.
    Jun 5, 2005
    This movie is a brilliant snapshot of RACE in America. So compelling at times that you hold your breath and forget it's a movie.
  45. LynnM.
    Jun 6, 2005
    This is one of the first movies I have scene that honestly portrays people as people. Not necessarily good or bad, but people. I loved it. I believe that every adult should see it.
  46. drewL.
    Jul 31, 2005
    The best movie I have ever seen.
  47. paul
    Aug 9, 2005
    Anyone who says this movie is a slap in the face for white people seriously needs to have his head examined. More than once, white cops are portrayed as heroic and life-saving figures. You'd almost think this film were sponsored by the LAPD. "Crash" shows both sides of the coin and anyone who'd freak out because they're afraid of that inescapable truth needs to wake up and Anyone who says this movie is a slap in the face for white people seriously needs to have his head examined. More than once, white cops are portrayed as heroic and life-saving figures. You'd almost think this film were sponsored by the LAPD. "Crash" shows both sides of the coin and anyone who'd freak out because they're afraid of that inescapable truth needs to wake up and start living in the real world. Expand
  48. WilliamL.
    Apr 29, 2005
    This film was amazing! Pure excellence, it kept me at the edge of my seat better than any horror movie made in the last 10 years and Crash isn't even a horror film. The most amazing part was that this is Paul Haggis' directoreal debut. Much better than XXX state of the union got that andrew.
  49. TimN.
    May 11, 2005
    Best movie about race that I've ever seen and probably will ever see.
  50. ShaunB.
    May 12, 2005
    The performances are electrifying Matt Dillion is wonderful as the racsit cop and the movie as a whole will stand the test of time.
  51. SandraT.
    AMAZING!
  52. PetroM.
    May 15, 2005
    It's funny, or rather ironic to see such a great range in ratings amongst viewers, and that s exactly what makes this movie amazing. Not everyone will like it, not everyone will be able to take all the racism issues in and truly understand what is going on out there. This movie isnt another Hollywood blockbuster, it rather shows the twisted reality of our society in its true It's funny, or rather ironic to see such a great range in ratings amongst viewers, and that s exactly what makes this movie amazing. Not everyone will like it, not everyone will be able to take all the racism issues in and truly understand what is going on out there. This movie isnt another Hollywood blockbuster, it rather shows the twisted reality of our society in its true uglyness. It also shows that racism in this country goes either way...Well done, it is definately worth every penny i spent on it. Expand
  53. JamesR.
    May 15, 2005
    An ammazing movie. Definitely my favorite of 2005 so far.
  54. JoanB.
    May 15, 2005
    Really made me think and assess my own latent prejudices. I enjoyed the convoluted ride, sort of like the whirly seat rides at fairs... round and round, back and forth, all the while orbiting around on the larger perimeter.
  55. SusanM.
    May 10, 2005
    I really enjoyed this movie, there is really no beginning, middle and end, it's more like you get a brief glimpse into the lives of so many people who, on the outside, appear to be very different, but inside they are all struggling with the same issues. Just to be fair, I will say that my boyfriend thought it sucked. Incidentally, he thinks 'Sniper 3' was a great movie.
  56. tealh.
    May 17, 2005
    I loved loved the movie, as stated above, the best i've seen in a long time...as a music junkie, the soundtrack is HOT and a must have also. it is truly a rollercoaster of emotions, most of which are sad and unfortunately realistic. at times a bit extreme, but then again, it's Hollywood and it drives the point(s) home about colors, racial slurs, and stereotypes. as being a I loved loved the movie, as stated above, the best i've seen in a long time...as a music junkie, the soundtrack is HOT and a must have also. it is truly a rollercoaster of emotions, most of which are sad and unfortunately realistic. at times a bit extreme, but then again, it's Hollywood and it drives the point(s) home about colors, racial slurs, and stereotypes. as being a minority, i can identify w/ many of the characters' frame of mind and ignorance that is conditioned (by family others and environment) and mostly ignorance out of choice to remain ignorant. i NEED to include the overall greatest theme in the movie is the "Depravity of Mankind" from the eyes of God. this is a true depiction of how most people (of all colors) view other peoples of other colors and how it is only going to escalate - even though we are in a day and age of "political correctness" - it still remains that the overall existing problem(s) in all these character's lives is the on-going heart condition of SIN. yes, sin...it is the crux of where we speak and how we feel towards others. there was no divide in color and language at one point in history, back to the Old Testament Expand
  57. ChrisB.
    May 21, 2005
    Awesome film. It simply takes a step back and shows our society not only how we act, but how, if not checked, our natural human nature can cause us to easily stereotype without thinking twice.
  58. BenM.
    May 24, 2005
    I'd have to say that this movie was the most racially plot-driven movie I've ever seen, and having said that, Haggus pulls off quite a gem. I believe few races can watch this film, and not empathise with numerous scenes. I was shocked that there were no Jewish references though. Overall, powerful film, strong acting performances, including Sandra Bullock pulling out of the I'd have to say that this movie was the most racially plot-driven movie I've ever seen, and having said that, Haggus pulls off quite a gem. I believe few races can watch this film, and not empathise with numerous scenes. I was shocked that there were no Jewish references though. Overall, powerful film, strong acting performances, including Sandra Bullock pulling out of the type-cast role of "always a bride's maid, never the bride." Expand
  59. MikeO
    May 26, 2005
    Think "Magnolia" remade as a message movie. Great acting, stunning coincidences, but ultimately unconvincing. Go see it anyways just so you can have a discussion on race with your friends.
  60. JackF.
    May 7, 2005
    A must see movie! The racial dialogue and prejudice is so piercing you may even consider walking out, but stick with the film, because it is one of the best Hollywood made movies about race. The multiple parallel events and its characters is shocking and astonishing. Especially how it all comes together. The actors are superb, especially Matt Dillion, Terrrence Howard and even Ludacris. I A must see movie! The racial dialogue and prejudice is so piercing you may even consider walking out, but stick with the film, because it is one of the best Hollywood made movies about race. The multiple parallel events and its characters is shocking and astonishing. Especially how it all comes together. The actors are superb, especially Matt Dillion, Terrrence Howard and even Ludacris. I have read some critics who felt the film was too obvious, over the top, and puffed up conclusion. If so, it only adds to some of the toughest talk even seen on the American screen. The final scene tells it all. Paul Haggis the director/writer also was the screen write for "Million Dollar Baby," and Clint has signed him up for his next two films. What does that tell you? Expand
  61. KristanR.
    May 7, 2005
    Wonderful emotional roller-coaster ride examining people's prejudices and fears. See it!
  62. EagleNo4
    May 7, 2005
    Crash is a compelling drama that examines the cultural, ethic and racial conflicts in American society. Most of the characters in this film are angry ... angry at the seemingly lack of control they have over their own lives, a circumstance they blame on everyone who is not racially identical to themselves. Appropriately, the movie begins with a car operated by an Asian woman crashing into Crash is a compelling drama that examines the cultural, ethic and racial conflicts in American society. Most of the characters in this film are angry ... angry at the seemingly lack of control they have over their own lives, a circumstance they blame on everyone who is not racially identical to themselves. Appropriately, the movie begins with a car operated by an Asian woman crashing into the rear of a car operated by a Latino woman and in which a black man is a passenger (symbolically, a clash of cultures). As the Asian confronts the Latino, claiming that the other "blaked" too fast, the Negro reflects that modern day society has separated people into areas protected by "glass and steel" so that they no longer are in touch with each other and eventually people become so angry with this situation that they feel compelled to crash into someone just to have contact with another human being. In a typical scene where the characters are angry at the stereotypes that others categorizes them in, while not realizing they are as equally guilty, there is this exchange between a black man and a Latino woman: He: "I told my mother that I was having sex with a white woman because I knew that would upset her; if I told her it was a Mexican, she would hardly care." She: "My father is from Puerto Rico, my mother's from El Salvador, neither of which is Mexico." He: "Well, then, I guess the big mystery is, who gathered up all of those different cultures and taught them all how to park their cars on their front lawns." The movie takes the threads of the lives of several people and slowly interweaves them over a two day period to make a tapestry of racial prejudice that forms when you see not the person before you but only the color of his skin. While the characters literally see each other in black and white, the movie beautifully portrays how there is no such easy division between "good and evil" and that these qualities exists in us all; we all are really just shades of "gray", more alike than any of us would care to admit. A unique, imaginative, unpredictable movie; the tension of the characters is effectively transmitted to the audience and magnifies your anticipation. Not everything turns out "right" in this film ... because that's how life really is. I give this one a 9.25. Expand
  63. mikeh.
    May 8, 2005
    Excellent! Too bad there aren't more films these days that are about actual human beings and emotions like this one. Highly recommended.
  64. ChrisG
    Jun 1, 2005
    Two excellent scenes made the movie worth the price of admission. The snow at the end and the frogs in magnolia made me laugh at loud in the theatre.
  65. KishoreK.
    Jun 1, 2005
    Original idea very well thought and developed. Amazingly, nobody saw contemporary America with such perspective, until now. Should be nominated for original screenplay.
  66. JoshE.
    Jun 20, 2005
    Superb in all ways and yet again chedelle will go un-noticed because its not a cartoon-based movie.
  67. AlexM
    Jun 30, 2005
    What's all this racism crap about? Its no more racist than Do The Right Thing. Yes there are people like that in the world. So why not have a movie that throws them together through coincidences. The acting, story, and everything else was great. Definitely this and Batman Begins by far the best this year.
  68. DonP
    Jun 5, 2005
    This film bravely looks rasicm in the eye and exposes it for what it is - cultural insensitivity and misunderstanding that becomes generalized to a set of people defined by color or race or whatever. There are a number of scenes where a person of one race or background doesn't get what a person of another race or background is doing, saying, or intending with his actions and the This film bravely looks rasicm in the eye and exposes it for what it is - cultural insensitivity and misunderstanding that becomes generalized to a set of people defined by color or race or whatever. There are a number of scenes where a person of one race or background doesn't get what a person of another race or background is doing, saying, or intending with his actions and the results are tragic (or potentially so). Sure it's unrealistic in terms of too many coincidences but the whole idea is he's telling the story of people who's lives were intertwined by the various car accidents. To suggest that Haggis was supposed to offer a solution to the racial conflicts in this film, misses the point. By showing how insensitivities balloon into true danger (or in a few cases how being sensitized can help defuse a difficult situation) he is giving us all a mirror into which we can look and ask ourselves: do I do that? And if enough people asked that, and dealt with it, we'd have a less racist society. There is no other solution that could be offered. I never saw the "Magnolia" movie people mention here but I did see parallels to "Amores Perros" and to "21 Grams". Tthe method of story telling is a fairly effective way to draw together all these disparate people into a series of mini-dramas that you could follow in one film. Finally I was surprised by Sandra Bullock, who I thought was great, and thought all the performances were superb. Tell everyone to see this movie. We the public need to support efforts like this out of Hollywood, there are far too few of them! Expand
  69. ElizabethH.
    Jul 3, 2005
    This is one of the best movies I have ever seen. Everything about it rang true, making it a very powerful film. The acting is great, especially Matt Dillon.
  70. KeffO.
    Jul 8, 2005
    People don't touch in the streets,well,well,well. writing on the edge acting on the marks covers a lot of ground in Los Angeles of today. I understand paying your own way to grab on to this winner.
  71. WilliamK
    Aug 18, 2005
    Truly excellent. I entered with few expectations and was blown away. The two carjackers first conversation was hilarious.
  72. MikeE
    Aug 19, 2005
    Don't believe the hype. Too many contrived, over the top storylines that end up fitting together like a mismatched puzzle. If you enjoy film, you've already seen this movie, and you've seen it executed flawlessly (Magnolia, Traffic, 13 Conversations About One Thing come to mind). All this collective human tragedy, frustration and misery comes off flat, and with this cast, Don't believe the hype. Too many contrived, over the top storylines that end up fitting together like a mismatched puzzle. If you enjoy film, you've already seen this movie, and you've seen it executed flawlessly (Magnolia, Traffic, 13 Conversations About One Thing come to mind). All this collective human tragedy, frustration and misery comes off flat, and with this cast, it's a shame. I think this quote summarizes it, Expand
  73. SeanG.
    Aug 4, 2005
    One of the best movies of the decade absolutely phenomenal.
  74. RJS.
    Aug 8, 2005
    Definitely one of the most riveting, impactful dramas in our age. Some scenes I can't even get out of my mind, and although, I have seen movies like these, this succeeds in its emotional sincerity. Should be in the running for an Oscar.
  75. JonathanD.
    May 11, 2005
    Best movie I have seen since American Beauty!
  76. JimS.
    May 11, 2005
    What thoughts were provoked? Did people honestly think different about race relations after seeing this movie? A lot of surface and knee-jerk feelings were touched, but nothing really made an impact on me. Good casting, though.
  77. DevynS.
    May 10, 2005
    Very thought Provoking Movie. One of the Few Movies out there that I think all races and creeds can relate too.
  78. Leroy
    May 14, 2005
    The acting was superb but the subject matter too awful for words. Does racism exist in America? Absolutely. Does it exist in other parts of the world also? Absolutely. So why show a movie full of sterotype cliches which only promotes more of a racial divide? If I wanted to, I could rip this screenplay to smithereens. For example, do you think the DA would drive an expensive SUV without The acting was superb but the subject matter too awful for words. Does racism exist in America? Absolutely. Does it exist in other parts of the world also? Absolutely. So why show a movie full of sterotype cliches which only promotes more of a racial divide? If I wanted to, I could rip this screenplay to smithereens. For example, do you think the DA would drive an expensive SUV without any markings on the license plate that he was a DA? C'mon let's not be ridiculous. Those of you who have rated this movie a perfect 10 need to reevaluate your thought process. This is a racist movie if I ever saw one by someone who has no clue about what he wrote about. Just awful. Expand
  79. JamesC.
    May 15, 2005
    A movie worth seeing for the acting of Thandie Newton and Matt Dillon. The movie crashed for me 90 minutes into the film where there is an icident with a gun and a girl. Haggis choked big time in this scene. After that, it seems he lost his confidence in what he wanted to say. If he spent the time going deeper into issue of race it would have been a better film. Those giving 0 are being A movie worth seeing for the acting of Thandie Newton and Matt Dillon. The movie crashed for me 90 minutes into the film where there is an icident with a gun and a girl. Haggis choked big time in this scene. After that, it seems he lost his confidence in what he wanted to say. If he spent the time going deeper into issue of race it would have been a better film. Those giving 0 are being unfair. That should be reserved for films like, Punch Drunk Love, I heart Huckabees, and the truly awful , Garden State, a film that makes one never want to see another film again! Expand
  80. Jane
    May 16, 2005
    Awful sterotype racist film turning every race against each other. Very depressing. Well acted but very poorly written as if the writer had no real comprehension of why the races are divided. Could have been so much better if there had been some insight or understanding to bring us together. As far as I am concerned a completely failed effort.
  81. Thomas
    May 16, 2005
    This movie was a breath of fresh air. I did not just play on one race it took all of america's race problems and made you see how stupid they really are.
  82. CarolP.
    May 17, 2005
    Hard to watch at first, but well worth seeing. Gave me hope that people can change . Also showed how we are all connected. Things are not always what they seem. Lots of spiritual truths. Wake up, people!
  83. AndyE.
    May 18, 2005
    A perfectly acted and beautifully directed film. Among the best screenplays since Pulp Fiction, and one of the most and more importantly best racially charged films since American History X. While it was the racial tension the carried this movie to a level of one of the best dramas in years, it was the exceptional screenplay and unbelieveably well-written twists and turns that makes Crash A perfectly acted and beautifully directed film. Among the best screenplays since Pulp Fiction, and one of the most and more importantly best racially charged films since American History X. While it was the racial tension the carried this movie to a level of one of the best dramas in years, it was the exceptional screenplay and unbelieveably well-written twists and turns that makes Crash one of the best movies in years. Even if you are ignorant and think that the racial tension in this movie was anything short of spectacularlly included, you could manage to look past it and see this as an fanastic screenplay with a maze of beautifully scultupred twists. Anyone who rated this movie anything short of a Seven is either too ignorant to be touched by the dramatic side of this movie, or too stupid to be dazzeled by the plot, either way none of you should ever be allowed to vote or even see another movie again. Expand
  84. JudyT.
    May 18, 2005
    Thought provoking, funny and sad all at the same time. Hard to sit through because we like happiness at the movies. Real life reflected in most of its scenes and that's always uncomfortable.
  85. rb
    May 19, 2005
    Outstanding. Loved this film!
  86. Bob
    May 21, 2005
    Hated it. Walked out of the theater half way through as did the audience. Racist and depressing as all hell.
  87. JoeA.
    May 22, 2005
    I wanted to like this movie more, but couldn't get myself to. The best likeness I can give is opening up a fortune cookie with no fortune inside. Makes 'ya feel like you've been left high n' dry.
  88. carolinee.
    May 23, 2005
    A story with ambition & strong acting is marred by implausible behavior on the part of the film's characters, windy speechmaking, & ham-handed points about human nature. A disappointment.
  89. SeanC.
    May 25, 2005
    Good messages and ideas but it tends to lack the emotions that tugged my heart in the way-too-similar Magnolia.
  90. DavidM
    May 25, 2005
    Crash is a powerful, emotionally wrenching film. It's about how people can be racist without realizing it, or even wanting to, because it has become a part of society. "Duh..." you say? "Why make an ugly movie about racism?" You have just answered your own question--because we gloss over racism nowadays. Instead of celebrating our differences as diversity, we use them to keep anyone Crash is a powerful, emotionally wrenching film. It's about how people can be racist without realizing it, or even wanting to, because it has become a part of society. "Duh..." you say? "Why make an ugly movie about racism?" You have just answered your own question--because we gloss over racism nowadays. Instead of celebrating our differences as diversity, we use them to keep anyone "not of our kind" at arm's length. All of the characters in this movie are flawed human beings, with their own backgrounds, motivations and fears. We see them "crash" into each other, unaware (or unwilling to be aware) of how we are all connected as a society. The behavior and actions of each character has far-reaching effects into the lives of the other characters who then are in a position to effect them back. Ultimately these are anti-heroes to begin with, and we see the havok their actions create, leading downward and downward as recriminations and retaliations pile up. Although this is a dark and depressing film, we do catch glimpses that some of these people are realizing the effects their prejudice is having on themselves and the people around them. It's not a total redemption--the final scene brings the story full circle--but ultimately the movie has shown us that racism is bitterly self-consuming and self-defeating, but there *is* turning back. Expand
  91. DanB.
    May 29, 2005
    What it lacks in subtlety it compensates for with heart. Also, is Don Cheadle the man? I think Don Cheadle's the man. I just really randomly seem to like anything Don Cheadle is in. Bravo for Don Cheadle.
  92. NickD.
    May 31, 2005
    Moving and poignant, but overrated. It seems to me that this movie is getting so much hype because it's the first good movie to come out this year. Also, within 15 minutes, I found myself thinking the following - A LOT: "OK, I get it, you're racist." That said, my friends and I talked about it for hours afterwards. Great acting, great dialogue, great drama. I just wanted to be Moving and poignant, but overrated. It seems to me that this movie is getting so much hype because it's the first good movie to come out this year. Also, within 15 minutes, I found myself thinking the following - A LOT: "OK, I get it, you're racist." That said, my friends and I talked about it for hours afterwards. Great acting, great dialogue, great drama. I just wanted to be shocked, I guess. Expand
  93. ChadS.
    May 6, 2005
    Here is the most provocative scene: two African-American males run over a Chinese man, trying to unlock his curbside vehicle. They refer to him as a "Chinaman", as in "there's a Chinaman under my car" with the same irreverence you'd find in "Pulp Fiction" or a David Chapelle sketch. It's played for laughs as a means to bait some of the audience into laughing. Politically Here is the most provocative scene: two African-American males run over a Chinese man, trying to unlock his curbside vehicle. They refer to him as a "Chinaman", as in "there's a Chinaman under my car" with the same irreverence you'd find in "Pulp Fiction" or a David Chapelle sketch. It's played for laughs as a means to bait some of the audience into laughing. Politically incorrect humor can often be funny but you need to consider the context. Some people will find it funny, and some people will be horrified at the lack of acknowledgment that the man they hit needs a label. Much will be said about the rescue and the divine intervention scene, but this is the real heart of the film. You find out who you are. This scene doesn't tell you how to react. "Crash" swings for the fences, and clears them, with authority. Walking out of the theater, I was reminded of being baffled by ESPN Radio's Rob Dibble bashing of Ichiro Suzuki as being a poor leadoff hitter because the Japanese native didn't look at enough pitches. Suzuki's batting average was .372. I wonder if that was one of the reasons why his contract wasn't renewed. Expand
  94. MichaelD.
    May 6, 2005
    Wow. Everyone is justified, no one is innocent. Racism is at once validified and in the next scene damned. Sometimes the friction created by this dichotomy erupts: CRASH. Wow. Great movie. At times its a little manipulative and staged, but it works. I cannot recommend this movie enough. Sometimes, when you get this much talent into one movie, the result is a flop. This is definitely not Wow. Everyone is justified, no one is innocent. Racism is at once validified and in the next scene damned. Sometimes the friction created by this dichotomy erupts: CRASH. Wow. Great movie. At times its a little manipulative and staged, but it works. I cannot recommend this movie enough. Sometimes, when you get this much talent into one movie, the result is a flop. This is definitely not one of those times. Wow. Expand
  95. GeorgeG.
    Wow!
  96. joel.
    May 8, 2005
    Great movie. A real life type movie.
  97. SimmadownNow
    May 8, 2005
    Very rarely does a movie allow me to embrace being a decent human being. It has become de rigueur to be obnoxious, rude, or to bully others. Not realizing that that unkind deed or word may be the trigger the pushes someone over the edge. Think road rage or internet flaming. This movie conveyed this beautifully with out being preachy and overbearing. As I was watching it, I had different Very rarely does a movie allow me to embrace being a decent human being. It has become de rigueur to be obnoxious, rude, or to bully others. Not realizing that that unkind deed or word may be the trigger the pushes someone over the edge. Think road rage or internet flaming. This movie conveyed this beautifully with out being preachy and overbearing. As I was watching it, I had different outcomes playing in my head for just about every confrontational situation. Someone in an earlier post called this a masterpiece. I am obliged to agree. This movie will succeed by word of mouth. I will definitely be encouraging my friends to see it. Ludacris turned in a surprisingly efficient performance considering how much screen time he was given. The top notch cast delivered. The critics got it wrong. Again! Almost all the women/girls in theatre were crying, some even sobbing loudly. Especially at the scene, "He's not wearing it!" You could hear the guys breathe out at the conclusion of this scene. I will own this movie the day it is released on DVD. Expand
  98. FrankP
    May 9, 2005
    This was the best movie this year, without a doubt. Don Cheadle and Matt Dillon were great and the rest of the cast, especially the little girl, were perfect pieces to this intricate puzzle. Definitely a movie to watch more than once to catch the many subtle nuances throughout. See It!!!!
  99. jonathano.
    May 9, 2005
    This movie was such a captivating film. Given that many events were quite coincidental, it still demanded your attention.
  100. TimD.
    Jun 17, 2005
    Great storytelling, with an excellent cast who give some truly fine performances. A perfect film? No, but it is affecting, complex and compelling, with a sly sense of humor, and it produces some indelible images along with scenes of real intensity and power.

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Feb 15, 2011
    Flaws are outweighed by Crash's intricate construction and intelligent.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Feb 15, 2011
    The tense drama eventually becomes off-putting when it becomes clear almost every scene hinges on an unpleasant or ugly racial interaction.
  3. Reviewed by: Michael Atkinson
    Feb 15, 2011
    Full of well-observed supporting riffs, Crash might've accumulated more frisson had it cast a clearer eye on how social tension actually plays.