8.2

1. BobJ.
    Aug 6, 2005
    Bad white man! Bad!!! Caucassian men beware... you will have a finger wagged in your face for two hours. The one lesson we all should walk away from this film with is People ALL suck at one time or another. Gee, I learned that from living life everyday. Give me something deper and less manipulative. So, I'm supposed to feel bad when a violent criminal meets an accidental fatal wound? Bad white man! Bad!!! Caucassian men beware... you will have a finger wagged in your face for two hours. The one lesson we all should walk away from this film with is People ALL suck at one time or another. Gee, I learned that from living life everyday. Give me something deper and less manipulative. So, I'm supposed to feel bad when a violent criminal meets an accidental fatal wound? A man that has been car jacked is more willing to be shot by the "racist" police rather than give up the criminal that kidnapped him at gunpoint only moments before? I suppose a police officer of a racially diverse background could not be shown as being a bit of a dirt bag? If want to feel bad about yourself, enjoy this film. To be honest... any film that creates this strong a reaction, even negetive, has an inherent artistic value. Save your moeny though, and wait for it to come on IFC. Expand
  2. RAS
    Jun 18, 2005
    Disgusting all the way around. Don't recommend it to anyone. Typical white mainstream media stereotypes of people of color. Garbage like this causes more problems rather than entertain. Warning to people of color: do not watch this crap. Walked out in the middle of the film.
  3. buzzl.
    Jun 19, 2005
    Let me start by admitting that i walked out after dillon/newton's 2nd encounter, so maybe i missed something pivotal. i just couldn't sit through this frustratingly manipulative, insanely overwrought, false, and downright insipid film. i was really looking forward to this film, especially living and having lived in LA all my life and experienced the racial climate here. this Let me start by admitting that i walked out after dillon/newton's 2nd encounter, so maybe i missed something pivotal. i just couldn't sit through this frustratingly manipulative, insanely overwrought, false, and downright insipid film. i was really looking forward to this film, especially living and having lived in LA all my life and experienced the racial climate here. this nonsense couldn't be more off base. the way race exhibits itself here in LA is far more subtle, and therefore more interesting and important to explore. this movie trivializes the whole subject. after the first few lines of dialogue spoken by cheadle's character, which i THOUGHT was the film's thesis, i was drawn in. and almost as quickly i was put off. great first 2 minutes though. Expand
  4. GinaK.
    Jun 1, 2005
    Clearly written by a rich white person from Santa Monica who doesn't have a clue about life in the real Los Angeles. This movie makes Grand Canyon look deep. Maudlin manipulative glop.
  5. Debra
    Jun 20, 2005
    Preposterous and racist film that portrays the worst in people. Avoid.
  6. ThomasR.
    Apr 29, 2005
    Ugh, this is what happens when you take a handful of name actors and don't give them much to work with. The writing is pretty bad and the script takes its message and hits you over the head dozens upon dozens of times, when a more subtle approach would have worked much better.
  7. CarolAnn
    May 10, 2005
    In a nutshell, this is a very derpressing racist movie demonstrating racial intolerance. It was so depressing that I walked out halfway through this film as did the few other people in the theater. Despite these glowing reviews that seemed to have loved it, I found it exploitative and very derogatory toward all races. Avoid.
  8. Leroy
    May 14, 2005
    The acting was superb but the subject matter too awful for words. Does racism exist in America? Absolutely. Does it exist in other parts of the world also? Absolutely. So why show a movie full of sterotype cliches which only promotes more of a racial divide? If I wanted to, I could rip this screenplay to smithereens. For example, do you think the DA would drive an expensive SUV without The acting was superb but the subject matter too awful for words. Does racism exist in America? Absolutely. Does it exist in other parts of the world also? Absolutely. So why show a movie full of sterotype cliches which only promotes more of a racial divide? If I wanted to, I could rip this screenplay to smithereens. For example, do you think the DA would drive an expensive SUV without any markings on the license plate that he was a DA? C'mon let's not be ridiculous. Those of you who have rated this movie a perfect 10 need to reevaluate your thought process. This is a racist movie if I ever saw one by someone who has no clue about what he wrote about. Just awful. Expand
  9. Jane
    May 16, 2005
    Awful sterotype racist film turning every race against each other. Very depressing. Well acted but very poorly written as if the writer had no real comprehension of why the races are divided. Could have been so much better if there had been some insight or understanding to bring us together. As far as I am concerned a completely failed effort.
  10. Bob
    May 21, 2005
    Hated it. Walked out of the theater half way through as did the audience. Racist and depressing as all hell.
  11. brad
    Aug 9, 2005
    Too predictable, very contrived and no real panacea to the universal problem of racism is offered in this movie.
  12. BrianS.
    May 12, 2005
    The emperor has no clothes on in this film that has wildly divided critics, not to mention audiences. I cannot believe reviewers who thing this is a profound exploration of racism in America. Paul Haggis is a white Spike Lee: neither man should write about what he knows nothing about. The ending of snow falling on Los Angeles was ludicrous -- I guess the frogs (from "Magnolia") were The emperor has no clothes on in this film that has wildly divided critics, not to mention audiences. I cannot believe reviewers who thing this is a profound exploration of racism in America. Paul Haggis is a white Spike Lee: neither man should write about what he knows nothing about. The ending of snow falling on Los Angeles was ludicrous -- I guess the frogs (from "Magnolia") were otherwise busy that night. Expand
  13. RBerens
    Jun 13, 2005
    If you're making a movie that positions itself as "hard-edged realism," it's probably best to avoid an excess of dramatic contrivance and coincidence. I lost count at about 65. This movie just plain sucked.
  14. Chris
    Jun 15, 2005
    You've gotta be kidding me. How can so many critics be snowed? This is contrived, overwrought hogwash.
  15. MarcusG.
    Jun 18, 2005
    I guess a lot of audiences and critics buy into this film but I sat through a series of flaws bookending one snappy scene featuring Matt Dillon and Thandie Newton in a burning car wreck. You will be forcefed through most of the film - a stunningly un-Altman-like work though so many observers compare it to Short Cuts. A disheartening reaction all around.
  16. TomC.
    Aug 14, 2005
    What an overblown, inarticulate, clumsy and depressing film! The strokes are so broad, and most of the set-ups so obvious that even the bits that do work and are affecting are blown out of the water ten seconds later by something so eye-rollingly hideous - a girl is told that she's got her father's invisible shield to protect her against bullets... What happens next? Duh. Some What an overblown, inarticulate, clumsy and depressing film! The strokes are so broad, and most of the set-ups so obvious that even the bits that do work and are affecting are blown out of the water ten seconds later by something so eye-rollingly hideous - a girl is told that she's got her father's invisible shield to protect her against bullets... What happens next? Duh. Some of the stories are incredibly slight and trivial - Sandra Bullock has three conversations and that's her narrative. Other ones are insanely implausible - a TV director whose had two difficult experiences in a day after (presumably) a life of dealing with racial tensions, suddenly goes loopy for no obvious reason. Worst of all is the cynicism here - and this the bit where I really agree with one of the other reviewers here - the whole film operates on the assumption that people aren't good or bad, they're just trying to get through difficult circumstances - and it also operates under the assumption that if depressing and cynical films are 'artful' then REALLY depressing and cynical films must be Leonardo da Vincis. So everyone is corrupt or evil in one way or another - only one character is honourable all the way through, the rest are universally just different shades of self-involved wankery. You come out of the cinema not uplifted by people's struggles or wiser in the race wars, but sickened by your fellow man, disgusted by our whole revolting species. This isn't a tragedy, it's a self-indulgent, wallowing, decadent film that reveals the bankrupcy of the film-maker's spirit - a man who can afford the luxury of an absolute loss of faith and wants to take the whole world down with him. Not very good. I'd go as far as to say that in its representation of humans as universally corrupt, it's very nearly evil. Expand
  17. May 24, 2011
    This is the cheesiest, most maudlin self-serving pile of garbage I have ever seen. It was a little hackneyed early, but watchable thanks to decent pace and the occasional laugh. At about the three quarter mark, the cheesefest begins. I have never seen a movie so unintentionally funny. The blanks?
    The cloak of protection? "My guardian angel?"
    Snow in Los Angeles? Even one of these events
    The cloak of protection? "My guardian angel?"
    Snow in Los Angeles?

Even one of these events would take a movie over the cheese-limit. Did someone actually get paid to write this? Was it someone they pulled out of a high school creative writing class?

Used correctly, coincidence and the crossing of paths of otherwise unrelated storylines adds poignancy to a story. When you do it 600 times, not only does it lose any meaning - it becomes a joke. There's a tiny shred of something important and meaningful in this movie, but it's completely hidden behind horrible writing, bland acting and a mountain of stereotypes. Honestly - there isn't one believable character in the entire thing. Every single person is exactly what you'd expect...or the exact opposite of what you'd expect. No depth. No shades of gray. I hadn't had a laugh this good in a while, until I started reading some of the reviews of this pile of dreck on this site. I actually saw someone use the word "masterpiece." I laughed so hard I think I peed my pants a little. If you think this movie is a 10, please stop posting movie reviews.

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Feb 15, 2011
    Flaws are outweighed by Crash's intricate construction and intelligent.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Feb 15, 2011
    The tense drama eventually becomes off-putting when it becomes clear almost every scene hinges on an unpleasant or ugly racial interaction.
  3. Reviewed by: Michael Atkinson
    Feb 15, 2011
    Full of well-observed supporting riffs, Crash might've accumulated more frisson had it cast a clearer eye on how social tension actually plays.