Crash

8.8

1. Oct 23, 2010
    Paul Haggis made this picture with a great passion flowing in his veins, fashioning honest, smart and true characters out of nothing, while winding them together in a plot that ennobles the cinema.
  2. Sep 5, 2013
    As 'Crash' unfolds and more and more characters are shown, it's clear that this is a realistic yet problematic study of human behaviour, it addresses various issues of how we react to various cultures and beliefs, but also shows the dark side and dangerous capabilities of our fellow man. In the ensemble cast include Brendan Fraser as the District Attorney, his opinionated and perhapsAs 'Crash' unfolds and more and more characters are shown, it's clear that this is a realistic yet problematic study of human behaviour, it addresses various issues of how we react to various cultures and beliefs, but also shows the dark side and dangerous capabilities of our fellow man. In the ensemble cast include Brendan Fraser as the District Attorney, his opinionated and perhaps paranoid wife played by Sandra Bullock, who are both carjacked by the talkative and philosophical Chris 'Ludacris' Bridges who has all the answers to the racial problems that sweep America, along with his friend.
    We also have a racist LAPD officer in Matt Dillon, who cuts a hardened and bitter man with his own personal grief, which he takes out on others, especially a black couple on their way home one night who have did nothing wrong, these two are played by Thandie Newton and Terrence Howard. In the bigger frame of it all we have recurring character Don Cheadle, a detective in Los Angeles. Of course these stories intertwine in often dramatic circumstances, some become unspoken enemies while others become unlikely heroes. The exact point here is the perception of the individuals being shown, many times there is no intent involved in this wide variety of characters, but their race is enough for other people to judge or be judged by, this message is relatable for the fact that this is still a problem, a problem which is addressed with the fullest attention by Paul Haggis, director and co-writer, who links these very different stories in the most unlikely yet understandable of ways, who could have thought that racist cop who basically molests an innocent woman, ends up saving the exact same woman from a burning car on the highway. Each of these people interact with each other one way or another, sometimes with tragic results.
    There is retribution, however, to be had with these characters, who learn the error of their ways through luck, chance, drastic circumstances or just talking to others, saying that, there are those who feel that they are indeed being discriminated against and want to take matters into their own hands one in particular being a Persian shop owner, played by Shaun Toub.
    The scope and detail that goes into making each character as interesting as the next, they all have hate and opinions, but all this proves is that they are human. A wonderful, calm and fitting score accompanies the film, highlighting pivotal points and shining moments. With a cast that also includes Ryan Phillippe, Jennifer Esposito and Michael Peña, there are some emotional and finely executed performances in the film, they each play a role that demands attention for the message they are sending, a problem is not necessarily being addressed and sorted, but it is being shown in plain sight for the world to see.
  3. EdS.
    May 7, 2005
    A little too pat to be great, but plenty of very powerful and affecting moments nonetheless - some genuinely funny moments, as well. The intertwining of the various stories is, for the most part, pretty clever; and things often turn out quite differently than you'd expect. Very good acting all around.
  4. RAS
    Jun 18, 2005
    Disgusting all the way around. Don't recommend it to anyone. Typical white mainstream media stereotypes of people of color. Garbage like this causes more problems rather than entertain. Warning to people of color: do not watch this crap. Walked out in the middle of the film.
  5. buzzl.
    Jun 19, 2005
    Let me start by admitting that i walked out after dillon/newton's 2nd encounter, so maybe i missed something pivotal. i just couldn't sit through this frustratingly manipulative, insanely overwrought, false, and downright insipid film. i was really looking forward to this film, especially living and having lived in LA all my life and experienced the racial climate here. this Let me start by admitting that i walked out after dillon/newton's 2nd encounter, so maybe i missed something pivotal. i just couldn't sit through this frustratingly manipulative, insanely overwrought, false, and downright insipid film. i was really looking forward to this film, especially living and having lived in LA all my life and experienced the racial climate here. this nonsense couldn't be more off base. the way race exhibits itself here in LA is far more subtle, and therefore more interesting and important to explore. this movie trivializes the whole subject. after the first few lines of dialogue spoken by cheadle's character, which i THOUGHT was the film's thesis, i was drawn in. and almost as quickly i was put off. great first 2 minutes though. Expand
  6. Debra
    Jun 20, 2005
    Preposterous and racist film that portrays the worst in people. Avoid.
  7. ThomasR.
    Apr 29, 2005
    Ugh, this is what happens when you take a handful of name actors and don't give them much to work with. The writing is pretty bad and the script takes its message and hits you over the head dozens upon dozens of times, when a more subtle approach would have worked much better.
  8. Jul 14, 2012
    You will probably never see a movie this good ever in your life,your fathers life and his fathers life.Trust me you have to watch it over and over just to appreciate the perfect acting.Simply stunning!.
  9. Jul 23, 2011
    there are a few movies that can improve our living situation on earth. crash offers to us to be kind and clement to other people. any color or any nationality.
  10. Nov 30, 2012
    Perfect movie. It's absolutely stunning all the time. It left me happy but sad at the same time; assuaged but also distraught. Superb actors, and screenplay and editing that totally deserved the Oscar. In my opinion, the music should've also got one. It underlays all these varied scenes with such feeling, it's just fantastic! One of the best movies I know!
  11. Jul 29, 2013
    Just in case anyone reads this, I ask if anyone has a direct line to Mick LaSalle? He's the critic for the San Fran Chronicle, and the guy is a complete douchebag-moron. He's left probably 50+ reviews that are so far from what he says about great films. This movie is not a 50/100.
  12. Nov 8, 2012
    A compelling and compulsively watchable piece of work with several great performances and some incredible sequences that will shake you to the core. It also gives a much needed message, and should serve as a wake up call to many Americans.
  13. May 27, 2013
    With "Crash" a beautifully fable-like story is executed with some heavy-handed thematics, but the film is still unquestionably top shelf on a technical and performance-centric level.
  14. Jun 7, 2013
    A great film. Crash really struck a chord with me, it's one of the most thought-provoking films I've experienced. Each character in the film is stripped completely to where every flaw is obvious to the audience. You'll relate to a character in the film much more than you would probably want to admit, but it's in this way that Crash effectively delivers a powerful punch. The film is hard,A great film. Crash really struck a chord with me, it's one of the most thought-provoking films I've experienced. Each character in the film is stripped completely to where every flaw is obvious to the audience. You'll relate to a character in the film much more than you would probably want to admit, but it's in this way that Crash effectively delivers a powerful punch. The film is hard, honest, realistic, and uncomfortable, but it absolutely works; the film gets right to the core of racism and so many other problems that plague our society. Features stunning work from a stellar cast. Deserved Best Picture in my mind. Expand
  15. May 14, 2014
    Crash is one real exceptionally well-done film. The theme of racism really slaps you in the face, but it is followed by other underlying messages, such as redemption. The exposés to the first two vignettes are a tiny bit forced, but the transitions are smooth for all of them and the script is sharp and deliberate. Where the movie lacks it makes up for in acting, screenplay, and direction.Crash is one real exceptionally well-done film. The theme of racism really slaps you in the face, but it is followed by other underlying messages, such as redemption. The exposés to the first two vignettes are a tiny bit forced, but the transitions are smooth for all of them and the script is sharp and deliberate. Where the movie lacks it makes up for in acting, screenplay, and direction. Haggis knows what he's doing. Expand
  16. Sep 27, 2011
    "Crash", a racial movie directed by the famous Paul Haggis, is a masterpiece. With a powerhouse cast with a good lead from the director, the movie starts with pain and anger and triumphantly ends with love and forgiveness. It surely is one of the greatest movies i've seen currently these days.
  17. GinaK.
    Jun 1, 2005
    Clearly written by a rich white person from Santa Monica who doesn't have a clue about life in the real Los Angeles. This movie makes Grand Canyon look deep. Maudlin manipulative glop.
  18. RBerens
    Jun 13, 2005
    If you're making a movie that positions itself as "hard-edged realism," it's probably best to avoid an excess of dramatic contrivance and coincidence. I lost count at about 65. This movie just plain sucked.
  19. Feb 23, 2011
    I think the negative reviewers are a little harsh, I wouldn't call it racist by any stretch of the imagination. But cliched as all hell? Yeah. This is typical hollywood masquerading, trying to be deep and meaningful. Lacks Robert Altmans subtle weird humanism in Short Cuts. Plagued by white guilt, the movie runs the complicated issue of race through Hollywoods dreaded machinery of doom,I think the negative reviewers are a little harsh, I wouldn't call it racist by any stretch of the imagination. But cliched as all hell? Yeah. This is typical hollywood masquerading, trying to be deep and meaningful. Lacks Robert Altmans subtle weird humanism in Short Cuts. Plagued by white guilt, the movie runs the complicated issue of race through Hollywoods dreaded machinery of doom, leaving just scraps of brilliant acting and dialogue submerged in a mire of annoyingly coincidental plotpoints. Expand
  20. j30
    Nov 9, 2011
    Not a great film. Mediocre at best. Brings up some important points and is powerful in some scenes, but too much filler and way too preachy. Maybe some better actors/actresses would help (Sandra Bullock, Ludacris and Brendan Fraser come on!). Micheal Pena is the soul of the movie and carries the weight of the film. I'm sorry, Brokeback was a better film and even Munich was better.
  21. Apr 2, 2012
    First off, I would give crash a 9.5 out of 10. Acting is really good. Terrence Howard and matt dillion I think were the best in the movie. Score is good. Story is really good. Telling the story of discrimination and the racist side is just happy, but at the same time powerful. Overall, this is a great movie. Highly recommended for everyone.
  22. Mar 1, 2013
    Don Cheadle's performance totally changed my perception of black people. They're the best. He's the best. Racial tension More like sexual tension, every time sexy Brendan Fraser is on screen. Watch it. Love it. Rewatch it. Peace. p.s When are we going to see another George of the Jungle sequel? I mean, HELLO! TARZAN! peace.
  23. Yossi
    Aug 20, 2005
    Great Film!!
  24. Jan 21, 2013
    It´s not the worst film ever. It has certain moments in which it wants to be a great film. There are some good performances. But everything is so contrived, laughable, some scenes made the theater laugh when I saw it back in the day. If there´s a big mistake in the history of the oscar awards it has to be this film winning Best Picture. Clearly a strange fix cos BrokebackIt´s not the worst film ever. It has certain moments in which it wants to be a great film. There are some good performances. But everything is so contrived, laughable, some scenes made the theater laugh when I saw it back in the day. If there´s a big mistake in the history of the oscar awards it has to be this film winning Best Picture. Clearly a strange fix cos Brokeback Mountain got Best Director few seconds before. I remember all critics in Spain saying "What?" All the other 4 nominees were so above this film, especially Munich and Brokeback mountain
    The issues here discussed have been many times addressed before, only that 10 times better. Forgettable film, in fact nobody remembers it now compared to other films from that same year
  25. Apr 24, 2012
    This movie is a must see. It is simply phenomenal. The plot is engaging and the acting is fantastic. It tackles complex social issues directly. Anyone who does not feel uncomfortable at some points of this movie should check their pulse. It's deep (in a good way).
  26. May 24, 2011
    This is the cheesiest, most maudlin self-serving pile of garbage I have ever seen. It was a little hackneyed early, but watchable thanks to decent pace and the occasional laugh. At about the three quarter mark, the cheesefest begins. I have never seen a movie so unintentionally funny. The blanks?
    The cloak of protection? "My guardian angel?"
    Snow in Los Angeles? Even one of these events
    The cloak of protection? "My guardian angel?"
    Snow in Los Angeles?

Even one of these events would take a movie over the cheese-limit. Did someone actually get paid to write this? Was it someone they pulled out of a high school creative writing class?

Used correctly, coincidence and the crossing of paths of otherwise unrelated storylines adds poignancy to a story. When you do it 600 times, not only does it lose any meaning - it becomes a joke. There's a tiny shred of something important and meaningful in this movie, but it's completely hidden behind horrible writing, bland acting and a mountain of stereotypes. Honestly - there isn't one believable character in the entire thing. Every single person is exactly what you'd expect...or the exact opposite of what you'd expect. No depth. No shades of gray. I hadn't had a laugh this good in a while, until I started reading some of the reviews of this pile of dreck on this site. I actually saw someone use the word "masterpiece." I laughed so hard I think I peed my pants a little. If you think this movie is a 10, please stop posting movie reviews.
  27. Jul 6, 2012
    "Crash" by Paul Haggis is a film with a terrible sense of scope and content. It
  28. BrendaR
    May 10, 2005
    Great movie! It's so dead-on accurate about real life.
  29. MichaelV.
    May 7, 2005
    I just came home from seeing this movie, and must say it is one of the best movies I have ever seen. Not very often such a special movie like this is made. One word: MASTERPIECE. Go see it.
  30. AngelaB.
    May 7, 2005
    As you watch this movie you can see yourself in the characters. it is so real and when you leave the theatre you can't stop thinking about it.

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Feb 15, 2011
    Flaws are outweighed by Crash's intricate construction and intelligent.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Feb 15, 2011
    The tense drama eventually becomes off-putting when it becomes clear almost every scene hinges on an unpleasant or ugly racial interaction.
  3. Reviewed by: Michael Atkinson
    Feb 15, 2011
    Full of well-observed supporting riffs, Crash might've accumulated more frisson had it cast a clearer eye on how social tension actually plays.