8.0

1. Aug 25, 2014
    A dark depiction of tense clashes of culture throughout Los Angeles on any given night. Crash is notable in connecting each of its over-populated cast.
  2. May 14, 2014
    Crash is one real exceptionally well-done film. The theme of racism really slaps you in the face, but it is followed by other underlying messages, such as redemption. The exposés to the first two vignettes are a tiny bit forced, but the transitions are smooth for all of them and the script is sharp and deliberate. Where the movie lacks it makes up for in acting, screenplay, and direction. Haggis knows what he's doing. Expand
  3. Mar 28, 2014
    This movie doesn't have a general plot, instead it has a lot of entwining sub-plots connecting through many characters, who meet each other in different circumstances. The central theme of all the sub-stories is racial prejudices in modern USA society. The whole movie concept reminds me of Magnolia. Overall, the movie is too pretentious at times, but still good.
  4. Mar 4, 2014
    While I did find the message incredibly overbearing and overexaggerated, especially at the beginning, the character and plot development is so touching and poignant in places that it nearly nullifies my earlier concerns. Great performances from the majority of the cast and overall a pretty solid film in my view.
  5. Nov 6, 2013
    Really good film that delves into the issue of racism from multiple perspectives, yet tells the same story; we all carry some kind of prejudice with us each and every day and these prejudices can have far reaching effects. Overall a really unsettling film. Great cast with great direction from Paul Haggis. Really well done as a whole.
  6. Sep 5, 2013
    As 'Crash' unfolds and more and more characters are shown, it's clear that this is a realistic yet problematic study of human behaviour, it addresses various issues of how we react to various cultures and beliefs, but also shows the dark side and dangerous capabilities of our fellow man. In the ensemble cast include Brendan Fraser as the District Attorney, his opinionated and perhaps paranoid wife played by Sandra Bullock, who are both carjacked by the talkative and philosophical Chris 'Ludacris' Bridges who has all the answers to the racial problems that sweep America, along with his friend.
    We also have a racist LAPD officer in Matt Dillon, who cuts a hardened and bitter man with his own personal grief, which he takes out on others, especially a black couple on their way home one night who have did nothing wrong, these two are played by Thandie Newton and Terrence Howard. In the bigger frame of it all we have recurring character Don Cheadle, a detective in Los Angeles. Of course these stories intertwine in often dramatic circumstances, some become unspoken enemies while others become unlikely heroes. The exact point here is the perception of the individuals being shown, many times there is no intent involved in this wide variety of characters, but their race is enough for other people to judge or be judged by, this message is relatable for the fact that this is still a problem, a problem which is addressed with the fullest attention by Paul Haggis, director and co-writer, who links these very different stories in the most unlikely yet understandable of ways, who could have thought that racist cop who basically molests an innocent woman, ends up saving the exact same woman from a burning car on the highway. Each of these people interact with each other one way or another, sometimes with tragic results.
    There is retribution, however, to be had with these characters, who learn the error of their ways through luck, chance, drastic circumstances or just talking to others, saying that, there are those who feel that they are indeed being discriminated against and want to take matters into their own hands one in particular being a Persian shop owner, played by Shaun Toub.
    The scope and detail that goes into making each character as interesting as the next, they all have hate and opinions, but all this proves is that they are human. A wonderful, calm and fitting score accompanies the film, highlighting pivotal points and shining moments. With a cast that also includes Ryan Phillippe, Jennifer Esposito and Michael Peña, there are some emotional and finely executed performances in the film, they each play a role that demands attention for the message they are sending, a problem is not necessarily being addressed and sorted, but it is being shown in plain sight for the world to see.
  7. Jul 29, 2013
    Just in case anyone reads this, I ask if anyone has a direct line to Mick LaSalle? He's the critic for the San Fran Chronicle, and the guy is a complete douchebag-moron. He's left probably 50+ reviews that are so far from what he says about great films. This movie is not a 50/100.
  8. Jun 7, 2013
    A great film. Crash really struck a chord with me, it's one of the most thought-provoking films I've experienced. Each character in the film is stripped completely to where every flaw is obvious to the audience. You'll relate to a character in the film much more than you would probably want to admit, but it's in this way that Crash effectively delivers a powerful punch. The film is hard, honest, realistic, and uncomfortable, but it absolutely works; the film gets right to the core of racism and so many other problems that plague our society. Features stunning work from a stellar cast. Deserved Best Picture in my mind. Expand
  9. May 27, 2013
    With "Crash" a beautifully fable-like story is executed with some heavy-handed thematics, but the film is still unquestionably top shelf on a technical and performance-centric level.
  10. Apr 25, 2013
    crash is an amazing movie amazing writing spectacular screenplay and most off all an astonishing performances by everyone i love the story behind it and one of my all time favorite movies hell i found Sandra Bullock great and i don't even like her that shows how the director can control a movie acting quality from zero to perfect level.
  11. Mar 1, 2013
    Don Cheadle's performance totally changed my perception of black people. They're the best. He's the best. Racial tension More like sexual tension, every time sexy Brendan Fraser is on screen. Watch it. Love it. Rewatch it. Peace. p.s When are we going to see another George of the Jungle sequel? I mean, HELLO! TARZAN! peace.
  12. Jan 21, 2013
    It´s not the worst film ever. It has certain moments in which it wants to be a great film. There are some good performances. But everything is so contrived, laughable, some scenes made the theater laugh when I saw it back in the day. If there´s a big mistake in the history of the oscar awards it has to be this film winning Best Picture. Clearly a strange fix cos Brokeback Mountain got Best Director few seconds before. I remember all critics in Spain saying "What?" All the other 4 nominees were so above this film, especially Munich and Brokeback mountain
    The issues here discussed have been many times addressed before, only that 10 times better. Forgettable film, in fact nobody remembers it now compared to other films from that same year
  13. Nov 30, 2012
    Perfect movie. It's absolutely stunning all the time. It left me happy but sad at the same time; assuaged but also distraught. Superb actors, and screenplay and editing that totally deserved the Oscar. In my opinion, the music should've also got one. It underlays all these varied scenes with such feeling, it's just fantastic! One of the best movies I know!
  14. Nov 8, 2012
    A compelling and compulsively watchable piece of work with several great performances and some incredible sequences that will shake you to the core. It also gives a much needed message, and should serve as a wake up call to many Americans.
  15. Jul 14, 2012
    You will probably never see a movie this good ever in your life,your fathers life and his fathers life.Trust me you have to watch it over and over just to appreciate the perfect acting.Simply stunning!.
  16. Jul 6, 2012
    "Crash" by Paul Haggis is a film with a terrible sense of scope and content. It
  17. Apr 24, 2012
    This movie is a must see. It is simply phenomenal. The plot is engaging and the acting is fantastic. It tackles complex social issues directly. Anyone who does not feel uncomfortable at some points of this movie should check their pulse. It's deep (in a good way).
  18. Apr 2, 2012
    First off, I would give crash a 9.5 out of 10. Acting is really good. Terrence Howard and matt dillion I think were the best in the movie. Score is good. Story is really good. Telling the story of discrimination and the racist side is just happy, but at the same time powerful. Overall, this is a great movie. Highly recommended for everyone.
  19. Apr 1, 2012
    Crash is so so. It has some compelling scenes but it harped too much on the racial side. It is a very depressing movie about race in the city of Los Angeles. Too many big actors that give you nothing special.
  20. j30
    Nov 9, 2011
    Not a great film. Mediocre at best. Brings up some important points and is powerful in some scenes, but too much filler and way too preachy. Maybe some better actors/actresses would help (Sandra Bullock, Ludacris and Brendan Fraser come on!). Micheal Pena is the soul of the movie and carries the weight of the film. I'm sorry, Brokeback was a better film and even Munich was better.
  21. Sep 27, 2011
    "Crash", a racial movie directed by the famous Paul Haggis, is a masterpiece. With a powerhouse cast with a good lead from the director, the movie starts with pain and anger and triumphantly ends with love and forgiveness. It surely is one of the greatest movies i've seen currently these days.
  22. Aug 25, 2011
    Crash is a surprisingly intelligent and powerful drama at its core, but is ultimately bogged down by it's "message movie" triteness. It's the kind of movie Stanley Kramer would have made back in the 1960's.
  23. Jul 23, 2011
    there are a few movies that can improve our living situation on earth. crash offers to us to be kind and clement to other people. any color or any nationality.
  24. May 24, 2011
    This is the cheesiest, most maudlin self-serving pile of garbage I have ever seen. It was a little hackneyed early, but watchable thanks to decent pace and the occasional laugh. At about the three quarter mark, the cheesefest begins. I have never seen a movie so unintentionally funny. The blanks?
    The cloak of protection? "My guardian angel?"
    Snow in Los Angeles?

Even one of these events
    would take a movie over the cheese-limit. Did someone actually get paid to write this? Was it someone they pulled out of a high school creative writing class?

Used correctly, coincidence and the crossing of paths of otherwise unrelated storylines adds poignancy to a story. When you do it 600 times, not only does it lose any meaning - it becomes a joke. There's a tiny shred of something important and meaningful in this movie, but it's completely hidden behind horrible writing, bland acting and a mountain of stereotypes. Honestly - there isn't one believable character in the entire thing. Every single person is exactly what you'd expect...or the exact opposite of what you'd expect. No depth. No shades of gray. I hadn't had a laugh this good in a while, until I started reading some of the reviews of this pile of dreck on this site. I actually saw someone use the word "masterpiece." I laughed so hard I think I peed my pants a little. If you think this movie is a 10, please stop posting movie reviews.
  25. Feb 23, 2011
    I think the negative reviewers are a little harsh, I wouldn't call it racist by any stretch of the imagination. But cliched as all hell? Yeah. This is typical hollywood masquerading, trying to be deep and meaningful. Lacks Robert Altmans subtle weird humanism in Short Cuts. Plagued by white guilt, the movie runs the complicated issue of race through Hollywoods dreaded machinery of doom, leaving just scraps of brilliant acting and dialogue submerged in a mire of annoyingly coincidental plotpoints. Expand
  26. Oct 23, 2010
    Paul Haggis made this picture with a great passion flowing in his veins, fashioning honest, smart and true characters out of nothing, while winding them together in a plot that ennobles the cinema.

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Feb 15, 2011
    Flaws are outweighed by Crash's intricate construction and intelligent.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Feb 15, 2011
    The tense drama eventually becomes off-putting when it becomes clear almost every scene hinges on an unpleasant or ugly racial interaction.
  3. Reviewed by: Michael Atkinson
    Feb 15, 2011
    Full of well-observed supporting riffs, Crash might've accumulated more frisson had it cast a clearer eye on how social tension actually plays.