Crash

8.5

1. Apr 1, 2015
    Crash succeeds with outstanding acting and some very compelling scenes but at times seems continue to press a point that was made within the first 15 minutes. In the end, Crash will keep you interested all the way through.
  2. Mar 3, 2015
    People are judging this movie for the wrong reasons. I usually hate when people say something like, "If you didn't like this movie, you didn't understand it," but I'm actually reading the reasons people don't like, and they seem to indicate just that. They say the message is obvious, and then they go on to say the message is that racism is bad. That's not the message. It's already assumedPeople are judging this movie for the wrong reasons. I usually hate when people say something like, "If you didn't like this movie, you didn't understand it," but I'm actually reading the reasons people don't like, and they seem to indicate just that. They say the message is obvious, and then they go on to say the message is that racism is bad. That's not the message. It's already assumed that racism is bad. The movie is pointing out where it exists in seemingly normal circumstances. It challenges the viewer to question how they would've handled certain situations; if they would've been as prejudiced as the characters. The dialogue is thought provoking and interesting. Some say it isn't natural, but neither is Shakespearean dialogue, or the characters singing conversations in movies. It's used to challenge the viewer, and to make them think about important issues that we don't think about. It's not just racism, it's the details of racism's effect on various different people. The discussions may not be natural, but they're based on very real issues.

The movie is also, as Ebert said as well, more about ideas than people. For those who want more character depth, it's not really about the people themselves, but about how people in general are conditioned by society to handle certain situations. It's better that the people be as generic as possible, to show that the way they're acting isn't because of their specific personalities, it's because they are normal people, acting as an average person would. It challenges you to question yourself, instead of showing you a person who has a specific personality that is nothing like yours. Basically, this movie is good in a way that doesn't follow the formula of what traditionally makes a movie good. That's why people have a problem with it. The use of connecting the storylines is not just made for poignancy, it's to show how closely we are connected to each other; how our thoughts and actions have effects on people, and we don't even realize it. It's about how society's views creep so easily into our minds and become our own views, without us thinking anything of it. And to the person who said this writer is in high school, no. He's actually a three time nominee for writing. Two of his movies one Best Picture, another was nominated, and two others got rave reviews and made a ton of critics' lists. He knows what he's doing, even if some people don't understand it.
  3. Aug 25, 2014
    A dark depiction of tense clashes of culture throughout Los Angeles on any given night. Crash is notable in connecting each of its over-populated cast.
  4. May 14, 2014
    Crash is one real exceptionally well-done film. The theme of racism really slaps you in the face, but it is followed by other underlying messages, such as redemption. The exposés to the first two vignettes are a tiny bit forced, but the transitions are smooth for all of them and the script is sharp and deliberate. Where the movie lacks it makes up for in acting, screenplay, and direction.Crash is one real exceptionally well-done film. The theme of racism really slaps you in the face, but it is followed by other underlying messages, such as redemption. The exposés to the first two vignettes are a tiny bit forced, but the transitions are smooth for all of them and the script is sharp and deliberate. Where the movie lacks it makes up for in acting, screenplay, and direction. Haggis knows what he's doing. Expand
  5. Mar 28, 2014
    This movie doesn't have a general plot, instead it has a lot of entwining sub-plots connecting through many characters, who meet each other in different circumstances. The central theme of all the sub-stories is racial prejudices in modern USA society. The whole movie concept reminds me of Magnolia. Overall, the movie is too pretentious at times, but still good.
  6. Mar 4, 2014
    While I did find the message incredibly overbearing and overexaggerated, especially at the beginning, the character and plot development is so touching and poignant in places that it nearly nullifies my earlier concerns. Great performances from the majority of the cast and overall a pretty solid film in my view.
  7. Nov 6, 2013
    Really good film that delves into the issue of racism from multiple perspectives, yet tells the same story; we all carry some kind of prejudice with us each and every day and these prejudices can have far reaching effects. Overall a really unsettling film. Great cast with great direction from Paul Haggis. Really well done as a whole.
  8. Sep 5, 2013
    As 'Crash' unfolds and more and more characters are shown, it's clear that this is a realistic yet problematic study of human behaviour, it addresses various issues of how we react to various cultures and beliefs, but also shows the dark side and dangerous capabilities of our fellow man. In the ensemble cast include Brendan Fraser as the District Attorney, his opinionated and perhapsAs 'Crash' unfolds and more and more characters are shown, it's clear that this is a realistic yet problematic study of human behaviour, it addresses various issues of how we react to various cultures and beliefs, but also shows the dark side and dangerous capabilities of our fellow man. In the ensemble cast include Brendan Fraser as the District Attorney, his opinionated and perhaps paranoid wife played by Sandra Bullock, who are both carjacked by the talkative and philosophical Chris 'Ludacris' Bridges who has all the answers to the racial problems that sweep America, along with his friend.
    We also have a racist LAPD officer in Matt Dillon, who cuts a hardened and bitter man with his own personal grief, which he takes out on others, especially a black couple on their way home one night who have did nothing wrong, these two are played by Thandie Newton and Terrence Howard. In the bigger frame of it all we have recurring character Don Cheadle, a detective in Los Angeles. Of course these stories intertwine in often dramatic circumstances, some become unspoken enemies while others become unlikely heroes. The exact point here is the perception of the individuals being shown, many times there is no intent involved in this wide variety of characters, but their race is enough for other people to judge or be judged by, this message is relatable for the fact that this is still a problem, a problem which is addressed with the fullest attention by Paul Haggis, director and co-writer, who links these very different stories in the most unlikely yet understandable of ways, who could have thought that racist cop who basically molests an innocent woman, ends up saving the exact same woman from a burning car on the highway. Each of these people interact with each other one way or another, sometimes with tragic results.
    There is retribution, however, to be had with these characters, who learn the error of their ways through luck, chance, drastic circumstances or just talking to others, saying that, there are those who feel that they are indeed being discriminated against and want to take matters into their own hands one in particular being a Persian shop owner, played by Shaun Toub.
    The scope and detail that goes into making each character as interesting as the next, they all have hate and opinions, but all this proves is that they are human. A wonderful, calm and fitting score accompanies the film, highlighting pivotal points and shining moments. With a cast that also includes Ryan Phillippe, Jennifer Esposito and Michael Peña, there are some emotional and finely executed performances in the film, they each play a role that demands attention for the message they are sending, a problem is not necessarily being addressed and sorted, but it is being shown in plain sight for the world to see.
  9. Jul 29, 2013
    Just in case anyone reads this, I ask if anyone has a direct line to Mick LaSalle? He's the critic for the San Fran Chronicle, and the guy is a complete douchebag-moron. He's left probably 50+ reviews that are so far from what he says about great films. This movie is not a 50/100.
  10. Jun 7, 2013
    A great film. Crash really struck a chord with me, it's one of the most thought-provoking films I've experienced. Each character in the film is stripped completely to where every flaw is obvious to the audience. You'll relate to a character in the film much more than you would probably want to admit, but it's in this way that Crash effectively delivers a powerful punch. The film is hard,A great film. Crash really struck a chord with me, it's one of the most thought-provoking films I've experienced. Each character in the film is stripped completely to where every flaw is obvious to the audience. You'll relate to a character in the film much more than you would probably want to admit, but it's in this way that Crash effectively delivers a powerful punch. The film is hard, honest, realistic, and uncomfortable, but it absolutely works; the film gets right to the core of racism and so many other problems that plague our society. Features stunning work from a stellar cast. Deserved Best Picture in my mind. Expand
  11. May 27, 2013
    With "Crash" a beautifully fable-like story is executed with some heavy-handed thematics, but the film is still unquestionably top shelf on a technical and performance-centric level.
  12. Apr 25, 2013
    crash is an amazing movie amazing writing spectacular screenplay and most off all an astonishing performances by everyone i love the story behind it and one of my all time favorite movies hell i found Sandra Bullock great and i don't even like her that shows how the director can control a movie acting quality from zero to perfect level.
  13. Mar 1, 2013
    Don Cheadle's performance totally changed my perception of black people. They're the best. He's the best. Racial tension More like sexual tension, every time sexy Brendan Fraser is on screen. Watch it. Love it. Rewatch it. Peace. p.s When are we going to see another George of the Jungle sequel? I mean, HELLO! TARZAN! peace.
  14. Jan 21, 2013
    It´s not the worst film ever. It has certain moments in which it wants to be a great film. There are some good performances. But everything is so contrived, laughable, some scenes made the theater laugh when I saw it back in the day. If there´s a big mistake in the history of the oscar awards it has to be this film winning Best Picture. Clearly a strange fix cos BrokebackIt´s not the worst film ever. It has certain moments in which it wants to be a great film. There are some good performances. But everything is so contrived, laughable, some scenes made the theater laugh when I saw it back in the day. If there´s a big mistake in the history of the oscar awards it has to be this film winning Best Picture. Clearly a strange fix cos Brokeback Mountain got Best Director few seconds before. I remember all critics in Spain saying "What?" All the other 4 nominees were so above this film, especially Munich and Brokeback mountain
    The issues here discussed have been many times addressed before, only that 10 times better. Forgettable film, in fact nobody remembers it now compared to other films from that same year
  15. Nov 30, 2012
    Perfect movie. It's absolutely stunning all the time. It left me happy but sad at the same time; assuaged but also distraught. Superb actors, and screenplay and editing that totally deserved the Oscar. In my opinion, the music should've also got one. It underlays all these varied scenes with such feeling, it's just fantastic! One of the best movies I know!
  16. Nov 8, 2012
    A compelling and compulsively watchable piece of work with several great performances and some incredible sequences that will shake you to the core. It also gives a much needed message, and should serve as a wake up call to many Americans.
  17. Jul 14, 2012
    You will probably never see a movie this good ever in your life,your fathers life and his fathers life.Trust me you have to watch it over and over just to appreciate the perfect acting.Simply stunning!.
  18. Jul 6, 2012
    "Crash" by Paul Haggis is a film with a terrible sense of scope and content. It
  19. Apr 24, 2012
    This movie is a must see. It is simply phenomenal. The plot is engaging and the acting is fantastic. It tackles complex social issues directly. Anyone who does not feel uncomfortable at some points of this movie should check their pulse. It's deep (in a good way).
  20. Apr 2, 2012
    First off, I would give crash a 9.5 out of 10. Acting is really good. Terrence Howard and matt dillion I think were the best in the movie. Score is good. Story is really good. Telling the story of discrimination and the racist side is just happy, but at the same time powerful. Overall, this is a great movie. Highly recommended for everyone.
  21. j30
    Nov 9, 2011
    Not a great film. Mediocre at best. Brings up some important points and is powerful in some scenes, but too much filler and way too preachy. Maybe some better actors/actresses would help (Sandra Bullock, Ludacris and Brendan Fraser come on!). Micheal Pena is the soul of the movie and carries the weight of the film. I'm sorry, Brokeback was a better film and even Munich was better.
  22. Sep 27, 2011
    "Crash", a racial movie directed by the famous Paul Haggis, is a masterpiece. With a powerhouse cast with a good lead from the director, the movie starts with pain and anger and triumphantly ends with love and forgiveness. It surely is one of the greatest movies i've seen currently these days.
  23. Aug 25, 2011
    Crash is a surprisingly intelligent and powerful drama at its core, but is ultimately bogged down by it's "message movie" triteness. It's the kind of movie Stanley Kramer would have made back in the 1960's.
  24. Jul 23, 2011
    there are a few movies that can improve our living situation on earth. crash offers to us to be kind and clement to other people. any color or any nationality.
  25. May 24, 2011
    This is the cheesiest, most maudlin self-serving pile of garbage I have ever seen. It was a little hackneyed early, but watchable thanks to decent pace and the occasional laugh. At about the three quarter mark, the cheesefest begins. I have never seen a movie so unintentionally funny. The blanks?
    The cloak of protection? "My guardian angel?"
    Snow in Los Angeles? Even one of these events
    The cloak of protection? "My guardian angel?"
    Snow in Los Angeles?

Even one of these events would take a movie over the cheese-limit. Did someone actually get paid to write this? Was it someone they pulled out of a high school creative writing class?

Used correctly, coincidence and the crossing of paths of otherwise unrelated storylines adds poignancy to a story. When you do it 600 times, not only does it lose any meaning - it becomes a joke. There's a tiny shred of something important and meaningful in this movie, but it's completely hidden behind horrible writing, bland acting and a mountain of stereotypes. Honestly - there isn't one believable character in the entire thing. Every single person is exactly what you'd expect...or the exact opposite of what you'd expect. No depth. No shades of gray. I hadn't had a laugh this good in a while, until I started reading some of the reviews of this pile of dreck on this site. I actually saw someone use the word "masterpiece." I laughed so hard I think I peed my pants a little. If you think this movie is a 10, please stop posting movie reviews.
  26. Feb 23, 2011
    I think the negative reviewers are a little harsh, I wouldn't call it racist by any stretch of the imagination. But cliched as all hell? Yeah. This is typical hollywood masquerading, trying to be deep and meaningful. Lacks Robert Altmans subtle weird humanism in Short Cuts. Plagued by white guilt, the movie runs the complicated issue of race through Hollywoods dreaded machinery of doom,I think the negative reviewers are a little harsh, I wouldn't call it racist by any stretch of the imagination. But cliched as all hell? Yeah. This is typical hollywood masquerading, trying to be deep and meaningful. Lacks Robert Altmans subtle weird humanism in Short Cuts. Plagued by white guilt, the movie runs the complicated issue of race through Hollywoods dreaded machinery of doom, leaving just scraps of brilliant acting and dialogue submerged in a mire of annoyingly coincidental plotpoints. Expand
  27. Oct 23, 2010
    Paul Haggis made this picture with a great passion flowing in his veins, fashioning honest, smart and true characters out of nothing, while winding them together in a plot that ennobles the cinema.
  28. Yossi
    Aug 20, 2005
    Great Film!!
  29. MikeE
    Aug 19, 2005
    Don't believe the hype. Too many contrived, over the top storylines that end up fitting together like a mismatched puzzle. If you enjoy film, you've already seen this movie, and you've seen it executed flawlessly (Magnolia, Traffic, 13 Conversations About One Thing come to mind). All this collective human tragedy, frustration and misery comes off flat, and with this cast, Don't believe the hype. Too many contrived, over the top storylines that end up fitting together like a mismatched puzzle. If you enjoy film, you've already seen this movie, and you've seen it executed flawlessly (Magnolia, Traffic, 13 Conversations About One Thing come to mind). All this collective human tragedy, frustration and misery comes off flat, and with this cast, it's a shame. I think this quote summarizes it, Expand
  30. WilliamK
    Aug 18, 2005
    Truly excellent. I entered with few expectations and was blown away. The two carjackers first conversation was hilarious.
  31. GarethC.
    Aug 16, 2005
    A good drama, but not great. Definitely worth a watch, but could wait for dvd. Quite a good script - refreshing change from the big CG focused blockbusters - but too contrived. I mostly enjoyed it, but found some of the contrived scenes too much. Some people will be insulted or offended.
  32. JOEB.
    Aug 15, 2005
    Simply the best screen play I have experienced in a very long time. If you love David Mamet, wait till you witness the dialogue in this crisp and honest portral of my home town.
  33. TomC.
    Aug 14, 2005
    What an overblown, inarticulate, clumsy and depressing film! The strokes are so broad, and most of the set-ups so obvious that even the bits that do work and are affecting are blown out of the water ten seconds later by something so eye-rollingly hideous - a girl is told that she's got her father's invisible shield to protect her against bullets... What happens next? Duh. Some What an overblown, inarticulate, clumsy and depressing film! The strokes are so broad, and most of the set-ups so obvious that even the bits that do work and are affecting are blown out of the water ten seconds later by something so eye-rollingly hideous - a girl is told that she's got her father's invisible shield to protect her against bullets... What happens next? Duh. Some of the stories are incredibly slight and trivial - Sandra Bullock has three conversations and that's her narrative. Other ones are insanely implausible - a TV director whose had two difficult experiences in a day after (presumably) a life of dealing with racial tensions, suddenly goes loopy for no obvious reason. Worst of all is the cynicism here - and this the bit where I really agree with one of the other reviewers here - the whole film operates on the assumption that people aren't good or bad, they're just trying to get through difficult circumstances - and it also operates under the assumption that if depressing and cynical films are 'artful' then REALLY depressing and cynical films must be Leonardo da Vincis. So everyone is corrupt or evil in one way or another - only one character is honourable all the way through, the rest are universally just different shades of self-involved wankery. You come out of the cinema not uplifted by people's struggles or wiser in the race wars, but sickened by your fellow man, disgusted by our whole revolting species. This isn't a tragedy, it's a self-indulgent, wallowing, decadent film that reveals the bankrupcy of the film-maker's spirit - a man who can afford the luxury of an absolute loss of faith and wants to take the whole world down with him. Not very good. I'd go as far as to say that in its representation of humans as universally corrupt, it's very nearly evil. Expand
  34. gemma
    Aug 13, 2005
    I watched this movie last night and i thought it was really good,its well worth watching but the ending is abit dsappointing.
  35. Frank
    Aug 13, 2005
    Awesome! How good is this film. Very moving and thought provoking.
  36. kiz
    Aug 12, 2005
    Great film !!! definately a big film of 2005 !
  37. TrevorB.
    Aug 12, 2005
    Beautiful and heartbreaking. Joins "Short Cuts" and "Grand Canyon" on the list of great urban dramas.
  38. brad
    Aug 9, 2005
    Too predictable, very contrived and no real panacea to the universal problem of racism is offered in this movie.
  39. paul
    Aug 9, 2005
    Anyone who says this movie is a slap in the face for white people seriously needs to have his head examined. More than once, white cops are portrayed as heroic and life-saving figures. You'd almost think this film were sponsored by the LAPD. "Crash" shows both sides of the coin and anyone who'd freak out because they're afraid of that inescapable truth needs to wake up and Anyone who says this movie is a slap in the face for white people seriously needs to have his head examined. More than once, white cops are portrayed as heroic and life-saving figures. You'd almost think this film were sponsored by the LAPD. "Crash" shows both sides of the coin and anyone who'd freak out because they're afraid of that inescapable truth needs to wake up and start living in the real world. Expand
  40. RJS.
    Aug 8, 2005
    Definitely one of the most riveting, impactful dramas in our age. Some scenes I can't even get out of my mind, and although, I have seen movies like these, this succeeds in its emotional sincerity. Should be in the running for an Oscar.
  41. LeonS.
    Aug 6, 2005
    Inventive, thought provoking, brilliantly constructed script. Direction and performances impeccable. One of the best films of the decade.
  42. BobJ.
    Aug 6, 2005
    Bad white man! Bad!!! Caucassian men beware... you will have a finger wagged in your face for two hours. The one lesson we all should walk away from this film with is People ALL suck at one time or another. Gee, I learned that from living life everyday. Give me something deper and less manipulative. So, I'm supposed to feel bad when a violent criminal meets an accidental fatal wound? Bad white man! Bad!!! Caucassian men beware... you will have a finger wagged in your face for two hours. The one lesson we all should walk away from this film with is People ALL suck at one time or another. Gee, I learned that from living life everyday. Give me something deper and less manipulative. So, I'm supposed to feel bad when a violent criminal meets an accidental fatal wound? A man that has been car jacked is more willing to be shot by the "racist" police rather than give up the criminal that kidnapped him at gunpoint only moments before? I suppose a police officer of a racially diverse background could not be shown as being a bit of a dirt bag? If want to feel bad about yourself, enjoy this film. To be honest... any film that creates this strong a reaction, even negetive, has an inherent artistic value. Save your moeny though, and wait for it to come on IFC. Expand
  43. SeanG.
    Aug 4, 2005
    One of the best movies of the decade absolutely phenomenal.
  44. drewL.
    Jul 31, 2005
    The best movie I have ever seen.
  45. PonR.
    Jul 30, 2005
    How could I give this anything short of a 10? This film takes an extreme, but it's one that has two things going for it: entertainment and thoughtfulness. I've never seen such a theme taken to such a level and had such a good time throughout. If Crash goes overboard with it's dialogue and irony that's because it wants to show us a relevant story without taking any How could I give this anything short of a 10? This film takes an extreme, but it's one that has two things going for it: entertainment and thoughtfulness. I've never seen such a theme taken to such a level and had such a good time throughout. If Crash goes overboard with it's dialogue and irony that's because it wants to show us a relevant story without taking any shortcuts. And it doesn't want us to look away until it's over. Expand
  46. ChicoS
    Jul 22, 2005
    I've noticed that all the negative reviews on here say the same thing......"This film is racist!!" Well duh! That was the whole point of the film.....a portrayal of how racial and ethnic sterotypes are universal among all races. So many films that touch on this topic only use the black and white viewpoint. This film took the topic and infused it into other racial backgrounds (asian, I've noticed that all the negative reviews on here say the same thing......"This film is racist!!" Well duh! That was the whole point of the film.....a portrayal of how racial and ethnic sterotypes are universal among all races. So many films that touch on this topic only use the black and white viewpoint. This film took the topic and infused it into other racial backgrounds (asian, hispanic, indian). I felt the point of this movie was how things come full circle to everyone. In other words you reap what you sow. You were supposed to be emotionally riled up because if you didn't then something is tragically wrong with you. Expand
  47. LaviniaA.
    Jul 18, 2005
    The weird aftertaste lasted hours. My mind was racing in thoughts. I was not thinking about the racial topics. I was thinking about cause and consequence. Even karma if you may. I liked seeing various people dealing with a common topic in such different ways, and the results were different everytime. The strongest one was Dillan the racist cop who after molesting Newton, the wife of the The weird aftertaste lasted hours. My mind was racing in thoughts. I was not thinking about the racial topics. I was thinking about cause and consequence. Even karma if you may. I liked seeing various people dealing with a common topic in such different ways, and the results were different everytime. The strongest one was Dillan the racist cop who after molesting Newton, the wife of the director, almost couldn't save her life in the car accident, because she didn't trust him, cause she had been abused and humiliated by him due to her color. Maybe I would have prefered her to die. The endings were a bit more positive then I had expected. But overall, if it leaves me with a weird aftertaste I like it, I like it a lot. Expand
  48. BradA
    Jul 11, 2005
    Very thought provoking movie that demonstrates how distrusting and misinformed people can be about others from differing ethnic backgrounds. It still shows there is a great ethnic divide in this country.
  49. KeffO.
    Jul 8, 2005
    People don't touch in the streets,well,well,well. writing on the edge acting on the marks covers a lot of ground in Los Angeles of today. I understand paying your own way to grab on to this winner.
  50. JohnF.
    Jul 4, 2005
    Wonderful writing, wonderful against type acting, the words and the story are everything. what movies should be.
  51. ElizabethH.
    Jul 3, 2005
    This is one of the best movies I have ever seen. Everything about it rang true, making it a very powerful film. The acting is great, especially Matt Dillon.
  52. Mary-CatherineS.
    Jun 30, 2005
    In the genre of Robert Altman films. It's smart and interesting and complex and insightful. Great movie!
  53. AlexM
    Jun 30, 2005
    What's all this racism crap about? Its no more racist than Do The Right Thing. Yes there are people like that in the world. So why not have a movie that throws them together through coincidences. The acting, story, and everything else was great. Definitely this and Batman Begins by far the best this year.
  54. JamesH
    Jun 27, 2005
    Superbly acted, beautifully written -- with the kind of insight and lyricism that is powerfully poetic.
  55. LlilaclilyS.
    Jun 25, 2005
    What an awesome movie. I came in kicking and screaming thinking it was going to be about car chases. It is not often one comes out different after watching a movie than when they came in. This is one that every person should see. The only other movie that has dealt with bigotry as honestly is Spike Lee's movie. You think you know what will happen and then it surprises you. It is not What an awesome movie. I came in kicking and screaming thinking it was going to be about car chases. It is not often one comes out different after watching a movie than when they came in. This is one that every person should see. The only other movie that has dealt with bigotry as honestly is Spike Lee's movie. You think you know what will happen and then it surprises you. It is not flawless, but the subject is so good and its brutally honest with whites, blacks, Chinese Spanish. No one gets spared. Should have been in my sociology class. It does not come down only on whites or only on blacks but reflects what many people are thinking but do not say outloud to anyone but "their own kind." Expand
  56. David
    Jun 24, 2005
    The best movie that I have seen this year...so far. Great acting, especially from Matt Dillon, Terence Howard, Thandie Newton, and Sandra Bullock. Deserves to be considered for major awards next February when Oscar nods are announced.
  57. mathewd.
    Jun 24, 2005
    Best movie so far this year, great script. people that gave this a bad review, all i can say is the truth hurts. sometimes when you put racism in fron of the screen it definitely strikes a nerve.
  58. Gary
    Jun 24, 2005
    Surreal in a Magnolias sort of way. A clever commentary on all the hate in the world.
  59. Mike
    Jun 22, 2005
    Really is one of the most heart-wrenching films i've ever seen. Everyone I know absolutely loved it. We're all professors and college students in Pa, maybe geographical location does play some role in whether or not you will like the movie. Over-all, you need to watch it and decide for yourself. I hope you do see it!
  60. EveC
    Jun 21, 2005
    About misconception, fear and miscomunication between us, humain beings... A stunning and moving film If only it could open our eyes, about the uselessness of guns and much more... a beautiful message.
  61. JoshE.
    Jun 20, 2005
    Superb in all ways and yet again chedelle will go un-noticed because its not a cartoon-based movie.
  62. Debra
    Jun 20, 2005
    Preposterous and racist film that portrays the worst in people. Avoid.
  63. natalie
    Jun 20, 2005
    A rare movie where the hard feelings existing across ethnic groups are all put on the table. Perhaps their exposure to the light of day will begin a withering process; the antidote to the growth produced by nurturing our prejudices privately.
  64. SK
    Jun 19, 2005
    This is the BEST movie I have seen in a LONG time! I loved it. I found it to be amazingly honest and accurate, especially involving truths most Americans want to forget or dismiss. It portrays our sub-conscious (or conscious) deeply ingrained intolerance and racism, and gives a voice to a large percentage of people who are discriminated against, even by seeming "politically correct" This is the BEST movie I have seen in a LONG time! I loved it. I found it to be amazingly honest and accurate, especially involving truths most Americans want to forget or dismiss. It portrays our sub-conscious (or conscious) deeply ingrained intolerance and racism, and gives a voice to a large percentage of people who are discriminated against, even by seeming "politically correct" minded people. I also liked how it shows how we are intricately connected, and how everything we do affects many other people without our full awareness. THANK YOU for this amazing film. Expand
  65. buzzl.
    Jun 19, 2005
    Let me start by admitting that i walked out after dillon/newton's 2nd encounter, so maybe i missed something pivotal. i just couldn't sit through this frustratingly manipulative, insanely overwrought, false, and downright insipid film. i was really looking forward to this film, especially living and having lived in LA all my life and experienced the racial climate here. this Let me start by admitting that i walked out after dillon/newton's 2nd encounter, so maybe i missed something pivotal. i just couldn't sit through this frustratingly manipulative, insanely overwrought, false, and downright insipid film. i was really looking forward to this film, especially living and having lived in LA all my life and experienced the racial climate here. this nonsense couldn't be more off base. the way race exhibits itself here in LA is far more subtle, and therefore more interesting and important to explore. this movie trivializes the whole subject. after the first few lines of dialogue spoken by cheadle's character, which i THOUGHT was the film's thesis, i was drawn in. and almost as quickly i was put off. great first 2 minutes though. Expand
  66. MarcusG.
    Jun 18, 2005
    I guess a lot of audiences and critics buy into this film but I sat through a series of flaws bookending one snappy scene featuring Matt Dillon and Thandie Newton in a burning car wreck. You will be forcefed through most of the film - a stunningly un-Altman-like work though so many observers compare it to Short Cuts. A disheartening reaction all around.
  67. DanC.
    Jun 18, 2005
    This is a fantastic, satisfying, challenging film for people who like character and dialogue over car chases and shoot outs. I was deeply moved several times, without ever feeling manipulated. Don Cheadle is one of the finest actors in film today and shows it here. Matt Dillon is superb as a bad guy whose badness is explained, if not justified. I was transported and enthralled by this This is a fantastic, satisfying, challenging film for people who like character and dialogue over car chases and shoot outs. I was deeply moved several times, without ever feeling manipulated. Don Cheadle is one of the finest actors in film today and shows it here. Matt Dillon is superb as a bad guy whose badness is explained, if not justified. I was transported and enthralled by this film. A real achievement. Expand
  68. RAS
    Jun 18, 2005
    Disgusting all the way around. Don't recommend it to anyone. Typical white mainstream media stereotypes of people of color. Garbage like this causes more problems rather than entertain. Warning to people of color: do not watch this crap. Walked out in the middle of the film.
  69. mrx
    Jun 17, 2005
    Best movie of the year so far and by far.
  70. TimD.
    Jun 17, 2005
    Great storytelling, with an excellent cast who give some truly fine performances. A perfect film? No, but it is affecting, complex and compelling, with a sly sense of humor, and it produces some indelible images along with scenes of real intensity and power.
  71. Chris
    Jun 15, 2005
    You've gotta be kidding me. How can so many critics be snowed? This is contrived, overwrought hogwash.
  72. RBerens
    Jun 13, 2005
    If you're making a movie that positions itself as "hard-edged realism," it's probably best to avoid an excess of dramatic contrivance and coincidence. I lost count at about 65. This movie just plain sucked.
  73. JulienC.
    Jun 12, 2005
    This is a great movie, on of those that let you thinking during the credits. you have to go see it.
  74. MarcK.
    Jun 12, 2005
    I guess many found similarites to this movie and "Magnolia," but I didn't. I see the similarity to "Grand Canyon," and I'll throw in another film that this reminded me of: "13 Conversations About One Thing." The Positives: Tremendous performances by all. Such interesting stories that it's one of the few films I think I've ever seen that I wished could have went on for I guess many found similarites to this movie and "Magnolia," but I didn't. I see the similarity to "Grand Canyon," and I'll throw in another film that this reminded me of: "13 Conversations About One Thing." The Positives: Tremendous performances by all. Such interesting stories that it's one of the few films I think I've ever seen that I wished could have went on for another half hour or so. The Big Negative:: Overplaying the "racism is a part of our society" angle. Definitely a white liberal's version of race in America, with tinges of Spike Lee thrown in. Had "the race card" been handled with a bit more subtley, I would probably have thought this one of the best films of the year. Instead, it's a big disappointment on what could have been. Expand
  75. LynnM.
    Jun 6, 2005
    This is one of the first movies I have scene that honestly portrays people as people. Not necessarily good or bad, but people. I loved it. I believe that every adult should see it.
  76. DonP
    Jun 5, 2005
    This film bravely looks rasicm in the eye and exposes it for what it is - cultural insensitivity and misunderstanding that becomes generalized to a set of people defined by color or race or whatever. There are a number of scenes where a person of one race or background doesn't get what a person of another race or background is doing, saying, or intending with his actions and the This film bravely looks rasicm in the eye and exposes it for what it is - cultural insensitivity and misunderstanding that becomes generalized to a set of people defined by color or race or whatever. There are a number of scenes where a person of one race or background doesn't get what a person of another race or background is doing, saying, or intending with his actions and the results are tragic (or potentially so). Sure it's unrealistic in terms of too many coincidences but the whole idea is he's telling the story of people who's lives were intertwined by the various car accidents. To suggest that Haggis was supposed to offer a solution to the racial conflicts in this film, misses the point. By showing how insensitivities balloon into true danger (or in a few cases how being sensitized can help defuse a difficult situation) he is giving us all a mirror into which we can look and ask ourselves: do I do that? And if enough people asked that, and dealt with it, we'd have a less racist society. There is no other solution that could be offered. I never saw the "Magnolia" movie people mention here but I did see parallels to "Amores Perros" and to "21 Grams". Tthe method of story telling is a fairly effective way to draw together all these disparate people into a series of mini-dramas that you could follow in one film. Finally I was surprised by Sandra Bullock, who I thought was great, and thought all the performances were superb. Tell everyone to see this movie. We the public need to support efforts like this out of Hollywood, there are far too few of them! Expand
  77. JohnCarr
    Jun 5, 2005
    Manipulative, yes. But never preachy. Grabs you and never lets go. There were genuine screams from the audience. Everyone in the country can appreciate this film.
  78. jerib.
    Jun 5, 2005
    This movie is a brilliant snapshot of RACE in America. So compelling at times that you hold your breath and forget it's a movie.
  79. TrevorC.
    Jun 2, 2005
    Simply one of the best films ever made. This has joined my top-five favorite films. It's deep, emotional, touching and true. It hits home in every aspect and addresses a current problem with our society.
  80. KishoreK.
    Jun 1, 2005
    Original idea very well thought and developed. Amazingly, nobody saw contemporary America with such perspective, until now. Should be nominated for original screenplay.
  81. ChrisG
    Jun 1, 2005
    Two excellent scenes made the movie worth the price of admission. The snow at the end and the frogs in magnolia made me laugh at loud in the theatre.
  82. GinaK.
    Jun 1, 2005
    Clearly written by a rich white person from Santa Monica who doesn't have a clue about life in the real Los Angeles. This movie makes Grand Canyon look deep. Maudlin manipulative glop.
  83. KevinC.
    May 31, 2005
    Sometimes I wonder if we're all talking about the same movie. There were only a few slip-ups (literally, when referring to Bullock's hokey slow-mo fall) and the biggest thing you can fault Crash for is ripping off Magnolia (right down to the precipatation and girl-on-piano soundtrack at the end). However, at least Crash didn't take 3+ hours to tell its story and packed just Sometimes I wonder if we're all talking about the same movie. There were only a few slip-ups (literally, when referring to Bullock's hokey slow-mo fall) and the biggest thing you can fault Crash for is ripping off Magnolia (right down to the precipatation and girl-on-piano soundtrack at the end). However, at least Crash didn't take 3+ hours to tell its story and packed just as much - or more - emotional punch. I cannot stop thinking about this film, it's just fantastic and worth every dollar of admission (as a bonus, you won't have to wait in long lines of Star Wars fans). Expand
  84. NickD.
    May 31, 2005
    Moving and poignant, but overrated. It seems to me that this movie is getting so much hype because it's the first good movie to come out this year. Also, within 15 minutes, I found myself thinking the following - A LOT: "OK, I get it, you're racist." That said, my friends and I talked about it for hours afterwards. Great acting, great dialogue, great drama. I just wanted to be Moving and poignant, but overrated. It seems to me that this movie is getting so much hype because it's the first good movie to come out this year. Also, within 15 minutes, I found myself thinking the following - A LOT: "OK, I get it, you're racist." That said, my friends and I talked about it for hours afterwards. Great acting, great dialogue, great drama. I just wanted to be shocked, I guess. Expand
  85. DanB.
    May 29, 2005
    What it lacks in subtlety it compensates for with heart. Also, is Don Cheadle the man? I think Don Cheadle's the man. I just really randomly seem to like anything Don Cheadle is in. Bravo for Don Cheadle.
  86. CarolJ.
    May 28, 2005
    Excellent movie. Very well written. While the topic is disturbing, the movie goes full circle in the lives of many people. Each event leads to a lesson of life....this movie makes you think.
  87. garrettp.
    May 28, 2005
    All I can say is it's amazing how people can come away wtih such different impressions fo the same movie. The acting was top-notch, and that's about the extent of the good part of this contrived wanna-be deep-thinker. The unrealistic nature of the scenes and ridiculous coincidences were over-the-top. There were so many technical flaws in the plot that I can't nearly cover All I can say is it's amazing how people can come away wtih such different impressions fo the same movie. The acting was top-notch, and that's about the extent of the good part of this contrived wanna-be deep-thinker. The unrealistic nature of the scenes and ridiculous coincidences were over-the-top. There were so many technical flaws in the plot that I can't nearly cover them all heren to list them here. Just stupid writing e.g.why would the hitchhiker delay mentioning that he had the budha in his pocket when asked why he was laughing. Please! Maybe I'm too literal, and I'll say right now that I don't like sci-fi at all, (not that this is sci-fi at all, but I just don't suspend disbelief well.) How this could be rated by anyone to be one of the best movies in years is mind-boggling. Expand
  88. MikeO
    May 26, 2005
    Think "Magnolia" remade as a message movie. Great acting, stunning coincidences, but ultimately unconvincing. Go see it anyways just so you can have a discussion on race with your friends.
  89. SeanC.
    May 25, 2005
    Good messages and ideas but it tends to lack the emotions that tugged my heart in the way-too-similar Magnolia.
  90. VinceH.
    May 25, 2005
    Crash is certainly more intelligent and has much more to say about post-millenium life in America than any American movie since "The 25th Hour", and I would also argue that this is the best movies about racial tension in L.A that I've seen (many people in other cities may not relate to the class/race differentiation, which makes this at heart a regional film). The acting is across Crash is certainly more intelligent and has much more to say about post-millenium life in America than any American movie since "The 25th Hour", and I would also argue that this is the best movies about racial tension in L.A that I've seen (many people in other cities may not relate to the class/race differentiation, which makes this at heart a regional film). The acting is across the board fantastic (esp. Terrence Howard (Oscar-worthy), Michael Pena, Thandie Newton, and Matt Dillon). Haggis is clearly a sensitive director of actors and the way he is able to maintain the tension and drama throughout the film shows him to be a natural-born storyteller. My only problem with the film is pretty much the same as what Michael Atkinson of the Voice said - everyone seems to have some sort of "rap" or "spew" that they openly talk about in public, which is just very hard to believe. But overall there are moments in this film of such truth and such directness that it is the equivalent of a punch to the gut. Expand
  91. DavidM
    May 25, 2005
    Crash is a powerful, emotionally wrenching film. It's about how people can be racist without realizing it, or even wanting to, because it has become a part of society. "Duh..." you say? "Why make an ugly movie about racism?" You have just answered your own question--because we gloss over racism nowadays. Instead of celebrating our differences as diversity, we use them to keep anyone Crash is a powerful, emotionally wrenching film. It's about how people can be racist without realizing it, or even wanting to, because it has become a part of society. "Duh..." you say? "Why make an ugly movie about racism?" You have just answered your own question--because we gloss over racism nowadays. Instead of celebrating our differences as diversity, we use them to keep anyone "not of our kind" at arm's length. All of the characters in this movie are flawed human beings, with their own backgrounds, motivations and fears. We see them "crash" into each other, unaware (or unwilling to be aware) of how we are all connected as a society. The behavior and actions of each character has far-reaching effects into the lives of the other characters who then are in a position to effect them back. Ultimately these are anti-heroes to begin with, and we see the havok their actions create, leading downward and downward as recriminations and retaliations pile up. Although this is a dark and depressing film, we do catch glimpses that some of these people are realizing the effects their prejudice is having on themselves and the people around them. It's not a total redemption--the final scene brings the story full circle--but ultimately the movie has shown us that racism is bitterly self-consuming and self-defeating, but there *is* turning back. Expand
  92. larrys.
    May 24, 2005
    An outstanding film. Way better than the 69 metacritic score. Has so much to say. Run to see it!
  93. BenM.
    May 24, 2005
    I'd have to say that this movie was the most racially plot-driven movie I've ever seen, and having said that, Haggus pulls off quite a gem. I believe few races can watch this film, and not empathise with numerous scenes. I was shocked that there were no Jewish references though. Overall, powerful film, strong acting performances, including Sandra Bullock pulling out of the I'd have to say that this movie was the most racially plot-driven movie I've ever seen, and having said that, Haggus pulls off quite a gem. I believe few races can watch this film, and not empathise with numerous scenes. I was shocked that there were no Jewish references though. Overall, powerful film, strong acting performances, including Sandra Bullock pulling out of the type-cast role of "always a bride's maid, never the bride." Expand
  94. dougb.
    May 23, 2005
    A tad bleak, but the first intelligent movie I have seen this year, with believable dialogue and some riveting scenes. Would have warranted a 9 but for the, um, excessive coincidences.
  95. carolinee.
    May 23, 2005
    A story with ambition & strong acting is marred by implausible behavior on the part of the film's characters, windy speechmaking, & ham-handed points about human nature. A disappointment.
  96. JoeA.
    May 22, 2005
    I wanted to like this movie more, but couldn't get myself to. The best likeness I can give is opening up a fortune cookie with no fortune inside. Makes 'ya feel like you've been left high n' dry.
  97. JoeyM.
    May 22, 2005
    Without giving anything away, allow me to say that the last scene with Sandra Bullock stunned me - I found myself all choked up. I didn't see this simple, moving moment coming. Excellent cast, some wonderfully tender, unexpected scenes and great acting from all. Ryan Phillippe, all is forgiven.
  98. ChrisB.
    May 21, 2005
    Awesome film. It simply takes a step back and shows our society not only how we act, but how, if not checked, our natural human nature can cause us to easily stereotype without thinking twice.
  99. Bob
    May 21, 2005
    Hated it. Walked out of the theater half way through as did the audience. Racist and depressing as all hell.
  100. rb
    May 19, 2005
    Outstanding. Loved this film!

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Feb 15, 2011
    Flaws are outweighed by Crash's intricate construction and intelligent.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Feb 15, 2011
    The tense drama eventually becomes off-putting when it becomes clear almost every scene hinges on an unpleasant or ugly racial interaction.
  3. Reviewed by: Michael Atkinson
    Feb 15, 2011
    Full of well-observed supporting riffs, Crash might've accumulated more frisson had it cast a clearer eye on how social tension actually plays.