7.5

1. tomm
    Feb 20, 2010
    Hollywood continues with it's poor quality of film making. Today's new release would be "B" movies 30 years ago. Remakes, violence, & "chick" movies seem to the best efforts of the film industry.
  2. JimS
    Mar 14, 2010
    I was not impressed with Crazy Heart. It was an uneven and melodramatic portrayal of an implausible, depressing, and dysfunctional relationship. Revolting at times, even redemption was presented as a hollow and empty exercise. Scant offerings at the cinema these days.
  3. LolM
    Jan 24, 2010
    Someone pulled this plot out of a drawer and decided to use it once more. It is hackneyed. Bridges was great. Scenery also. But the script was tired. Robert Duvall was an alcoholic country western singer in Tender Mercies -- great plot, great music. See it.
  4. Cat
    Dec 25, 2009
    I don't think throwing up and reeling around drunk all the time necessarily qualifies one for an automatic Oscar nomination, but maybe I'm wrong. Also, I'm totally sick of seeing 30 year old women moon around after old men on screen. These old guys making the movies are dreaming at our expense. The film was completely beautiful, kudos to the cinematographer, but the script I don't think throwing up and reeling around drunk all the time necessarily qualifies one for an automatic Oscar nomination, but maybe I'm wrong. Also, I'm totally sick of seeing 30 year old women moon around after old men on screen. These old guys making the movies are dreaming at our expense. The film was completely beautiful, kudos to the cinematographer, but the script was wandery and boring. I like Bridges, but I don't see what the big deal is all about. He was much more interesting in the Big Lebowsky. Expand
  5. JudyF.
    Feb 12, 2010
    A mildly disappointing film -- despite all the hoo-haw. The story of a down-and-out country singer who finds love and then redemption is too cliche and offers few surprises. Jeff Bridges is fine and fun to watch. Maggie Gyllenhaal, not as much. For a real treat -- see the 1983 version "Tender Mercies" instead.
  6. LisaC.
    Feb 15, 2010
    So disappointed in this movie. I agree that Maggie G. was miscasted, as others do. Despite Jeff Bridges doing a good job in the role, the characters really don't evolve and it is drawn out. Had really looked forward to this.
  7. TimH.
    Dec 29, 2009
    Jeff Bridges good, movie bad. Hackneyed theme or alcoholic leaving wreackage in his wake and gets religion too late to salvage anything. Includes a totally implausible relationship with an attractive young woman who ignores all the warning signs. Tries to a "the Wrestler" but not as good.
  8. Sep 19, 2010
    Crazyheart is a reasonably well-made film,but not worthy of an 83 rating. The pacing is uneven and even feels a bit lethargic in spots. Bridges is good but not truly outstanding in this part,but then the character is incomplete. A common occurrence in films today. We see the surface behavior but hardly any explanation for the self-destructive tendencies. Sometimes critics are veryCrazyheart is a reasonably well-made film,but not worthy of an 83 rating. The pacing is uneven and even feels a bit lethargic in spots. Bridges is good but not truly outstanding in this part,but then the character is incomplete. A common occurrence in films today. We see the surface behavior but hardly any explanation for the self-destructive tendencies. Sometimes critics are very demanding and want all those bells and whistles and othertimes the film and the performers get a pass.Looks like they were in a good mood here. Expand
  9. Jan 7, 2011
    A portrait of a great but fictional songwriter. Message: Life's way better without the booze. Not very exciting, but well done. ----------------------
  10. Dec 12, 2011
    Of course, Bridges steals the show. He IS the show. That's the whole point of this film.....following this country legend all around the west and feeling the envy he feels while witnessing the perfection he once had. We then witness his gains only to feel them ripped from his life after the mistakes me makes. The film never quite spikes with enough energy aside from Bridges singing theOf course, Bridges steals the show. He IS the show. That's the whole point of this film.....following this country legend all around the west and feeling the envy he feels while witnessing the perfection he once had. We then witness his gains only to feel them ripped from his life after the mistakes me makes. The film never quite spikes with enough energy aside from Bridges singing the same song over and over throughout the duration. The performances are all there, but the energetic undertones are stagnant which can make this film drag depending on what mood the audience is in. Bridges makes this film interesting, and that's that. Expand
  11. Nov 27, 2011
    Crazy Heart is a mediocre movie at best - it has a solid (but not exceptional) soundtrack, but the story moves too slowly and only approaches anything close to real drama in the final 30 minutes. The cast turn in a real mixed bag of performances. Despite the acclaim he received for the role of Bad Blake, I felt Jeff Bridges tended to coast through the film, churning out a re-hash of hisCrazy Heart is a mediocre movie at best - it has a solid (but not exceptional) soundtrack, but the story moves too slowly and only approaches anything close to real drama in the final 30 minutes. The cast turn in a real mixed bag of performances. Despite the acclaim he received for the role of Bad Blake, I felt Jeff Bridges tended to coast through the film, churning out a re-hash of his washed-up loser "greatest hits". With the addition of a bored-looking Robert Duvall, and the ridiculously miscast Colin Farrell, Crazy Heart would be in danger of becoming a thoroughly unmemorable viewing experience, but thankfully it has a saving grace in a emotional, rousing performance from Maggie Gyllenhaal. Despite being a scene-stealer, her character, the single mother and music journalist Jean Craddock, makes some unbelievably poor choices of judgement that threaten to make the whole film's narrative laughable - I don't care how much you like country music, Jeanie, what on Earth would attract you that fat, alcoholic windbag in the first place, let alone make you think it was a good idea to let him look after your kid? In all fairness, Crazy Heart does get much better towards the end. From it's pretentious and plodding beginnings, it eventually becomes something watchable, has a pleasing story arc of downfall and redemption, and, perhaps most importantly, Bridges looks and sounds like a country music star. In the end, though it may have the odd glimmer of brilliance, Crazy Heart isn't anything special. If I wanted to watch an engaging and entertaining film about country music, I'd choose Walk the Line over this any day. Expand
  12. Jan 27, 2013
    Crazy Heart is a well directed film in which all the actors are doing a very good job. Some scenes are masterfully composed. The script, however, is slow and predictable.
  13. Apr 28, 2013
    Joshua Rothkopf from Time Out New York so a manufactured kid-in-jeopardy climax and Blake’s rehab stint blow the mood. Until then, this is great American acting."

I absolutely have the same idea and the same score.

1. Bridges' guileless performance makes this piquant little indie tale of country music, redemption, and the love of a pretty younger woman such a sad-song charmer.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Crazy Heart gets to you like a good country song--not because it tells you something new, but because it tells it well. It's the singer, not the song.
  3. Crazy Heart lacks that spark of originality. So what Fox Searchlight has salvaged essentially is a highly watchable performance by Bridges, one of many he has furnished throughout a long career.