7.2

1. Feb 24, 2013
    Although it treads familiar territory, I really don't care because Crazy Heart is so well done that it's easily one of the most effective and satisfying films of its kind in years. The performances are great; Maggie Gyllenhaal is great (as usual), well deserving of her Oscar nom., and Jeff Bridges is brilliant and completely deserved his Oscar for Best Actor. Also, two key supporting characters played by Robert Duvall and Colin Farrell really knock the film out of park. Solid script, great music, perfect cast, Crazy Heart is one of the best films of 2009. Expand
  2. Nov 12, 2012
    You take a thoroughly realistic yet original plot, combine it with brilliant acting, and you get a stunning motion picture. Jeff Bridges deserved the Oscar and then some. I really loved this.
  3. Dec 23, 2010
    I rented this movie on blue ray. I had to turn it off 1/2 way through the picture and send it back - it was that bad! This type of movie gets publicity from review whores who all jump to try to outsmart the other critics, but in the end, the critics are all full of s--t! This movie sucks!
  4. Aug 13, 2010
    Crazy Heart is a real American movie, it's not a remake or reboot. It's original work that needs to be seen. Of all the generic movies of violence and bad storytelling it's very refreshing to see a movie that cares for its characters and plot. Crazy Heart tells the story of Bad Blake (Jeff Bridges) a washed-out country singer who's not a very likeable guy. He curses, drinks, and very lazy. He use to be the top dog in country but we can just tell he screw that up. His agent clearly forces him and yells at him to get up and do a performance and not to f@#k it up. He refuses to collaborate with another country singer named Tommy Sweet (Colin Farrell) which we get a notion of a disagreement between them from the past. Bridges performance is so good that we can tell the age of experience from his actions and mannerisms. We can tell his sadness from his actions with the way he acts and his judgments. All of these things start to change once he meet Jean Craddock (Maggie Gyllenhaal) a writer and her son. At first is sexual but then he starts falling for her and for his son. He decides to reinvent his life and people it's not easy for him. Bridge's performance is downright awesome and finally the recognition he deserves. He comes from a huge career of movies and he nailed this one. He created a character that was believable. There were times when we wanted to cry for him and when we were angry with him. The supporting cast was very good as well. Gyllenhaal was very good and gave a very good supportive role. Colin Farrell as well who does more action flicks shows that he has more meaning and dramatic depths. Yeah the plot is familiar with music stars but the performances form the actors rise to another level. I think this movie shines a light on movies where we lost the effect that movie does for us. This is a movie who has important things to say, films are suppose to be teach aspects of life and to entertain. Some movies are satires and some movies are protests. You want to know what Crazy Heart teaches, see it yourself and let it teach you. One of the best films of 2009. Expand

1. Bridges' guileless performance makes this piquant little indie tale of country music, redemption, and the love of a pretty younger woman such a sad-song charmer.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Crazy Heart gets to you like a good country song--not because it tells you something new, but because it tells it well. It's the singer, not the song.
  3. Crazy Heart lacks that spark of originality. So what Fox Searchlight has salvaged essentially is a highly watchable performance by Bridges, one of many he has furnished throughout a long career.