6.3

1. MinerW.
    Oct 13, 2002
    I too did not really understand the film as Enoch previously stated but whoever put the sets together must be insane, they are totaly over the top, I would like to live in them. The only part I really didn't like was the music, it sucked. Whoever did it must suck also.
  2. PeterS.
    May 21, 2002
    Ravishing cinematography. The Director of Photography is truly a genius! Never before have I ever seen such beauty on film. A visionary pioneer.
  3. JochenT.
    Sep 15, 2003
    I am on a thin line with this film. It is purposely obscure with it's meanings, and it's a problem I have with a lot of contemporary art. A lot of art doesn't seem to deal with common language that is stated with complexity, which is upon to readings from any perceptive individual, but instead uses obscure symbols. I suppose in that light it makes sense that Barney's I am on a thin line with this film. It is purposely obscure with it's meanings, and it's a problem I have with a lot of contemporary art. A lot of art doesn't seem to deal with common language that is stated with complexity, which is upon to readings from any perceptive individual, but instead uses obscure symbols. I suppose in that light it makes sense that Barney's Cremaster films are so expensive to buy, because then they remain in the art world. Or are doomed, captured in the art world. A lot of the people I know who would actually think about art, instead of just jumping onto the badwagon for the latest piece of fashionable art, are poor S.O.B.s who only have the money to rent the latest Cronenberg or Lynch film. As it stands, Cremaster three is held at a distance by its price-tag. It does little to communicate its meanings to a large audience, but maybe gives the art the same lofty remoteness of people within the Masonic order, and maybe the elusiveness of the film contributes to its popularity. The film itself, as much as I understand its symbol set, revolves around Free-Masonry, and its images are related to rising through the order. I believe this includes the Scottish book-ends, since (as near as I've come to understand) Free-Masonry began in Scottland. If you want to understand the symbols used for the Enterred Apprentice section, reading up on the ritual for the initiation of the Entered Apprentice is probably a good start. Other than that, I thought it was pretty dope, and very beautiful. Very ornate in a contemporary way. His influences are obvious, but it didn't feel derivitive. He seemed pretty in control of them. Expand
  4. DowK.
    Nov 7, 2002
    I agree with Matt W. and Peter S. that this is a visually stunning film. Miner W. also make a good point. The Principal Production Team, responsible fo the creation of the fantastic sets, must be the finest set builders in the world. Truly amazing work!
  5. MattW.
    May 25, 2002
    I agree with Peter S. This film has some of the most amazing visuals I've ever seen. The visual effects supervisor, responsible for the films computer graphics, is obviously an unsung hero.
  6. CyrilleS.
    Jun 26, 2002
    Okay it's a long movie but it's ultranicely made with a lot of perfection. try to check it out at museum ludwich in köln germany where this cremaster is there with the other 4 cremasters!! Combined with installations out of all movies the whole thing can be consumped as one and this makes it more easily to understand.
  7. SparklesM.
    Jul 31, 2002
    What an interesting and beautiful film. Stunning visuals and the editing is sublime.
  8. Enochtheelder
    Aug 28, 2002
    I didn't really understand it but the effects were cool and the camera work was really neat. What was that thing that came out of that guys butt, it looked like a shy miner. I will definetly rent this movie again!
  9. EricS.
    Sep 14, 2002
    Through the course of the five Cremaster films, Matthew Barney has managed to create the most visualy stimulating and intellectualy entertaining spectical to date. Barney displays a distinct visual commentary on mankind's attempts and overall failures at control and creation. His mastered use of emphisises through repetition and strong imagery alone diserves the highest of ratings. Through the course of the five Cremaster films, Matthew Barney has managed to create the most visualy stimulating and intellectualy entertaining spectical to date. Barney displays a distinct visual commentary on mankind's attempts and overall failures at control and creation. His mastered use of emphisises through repetition and strong imagery alone diserves the highest of ratings. Barney's final Cremaster instalment focuses in on the settings of Ireland and early 20th century New-York, with heavy use of Mason symbols and phalic imagery he creates a three hour jaunt into a sculptured idea. This film is both dramaticly haunting and uplifting, the idea of the instinctive right yet failure to create and acheive greatness through set pattern (which this film aparently revolves apon) seems all but bulldozed in comparison to the film's overall granduer. Truly a peice of postmodern film which will be considered a masterpeice of an entire genre. Expand
  10. Elliott
    Nov 3, 2003
    It is a remarkably beautiful film, filled with bizarre, occasionally horrific, images that stay with you long after the film is over. The scenes where the Chrysler Building was transformed into a giant maypole were particularly wonderful, and the set pieces were simply amazing. Cremaster 3 is the best of the series. It really is a masterpiece.
  11. LarsR.
    Jan 14, 2003
    Cremaster 3 is a stunningly beautiful movie. I have never witnessed anything so orginal in my life. The movie had basically no dialogue and it kept my attention for three hours. I would love to see the rest of the Cremaster Series after watching Cremaster 3.
  12. EPieronek
    Jun 18, 2003
    An poor example of money spent on art.
  13. MattB.
    Jul 16, 2003
    I've seen cremaster 1-3. I'm surprised that none of the other reviewers have mentioned how derivative the works seem. Barney is plainly influenced by Kubrick, David lynch and the team that made koyanisquatsi. As result, none of Barney's images or ideas seem that original or interesting to me. Nevertheless, except for a few disgusting sequences of bodily fluids and what not, I've seen cremaster 1-3. I'm surprised that none of the other reviewers have mentioned how derivative the works seem. Barney is plainly influenced by Kubrick, David lynch and the team that made koyanisquatsi. As result, none of Barney's images or ideas seem that original or interesting to me. Nevertheless, except for a few disgusting sequences of bodily fluids and what not, the films seem harmless. They hold your attention, despite the annoying editting in which cuts seem to have been made with help of a metronome, occuring with a regularity that at times seems to interrupt the action on the screen. I found much in the films to be funny, almost a parody of an art film. I mean, so much is so over the top, its hard not to laugh. I'm seeing cremaster 4 and 5 today at the Dobie theater in Austin, TX, which is showing the complete cycle this week. Expand
  14. JohnS.
    May 16, 2002
    The images are eerie and occasionally beautiful. But the film is unsatisfying and boring; you will be fidgeting in your seat after about 15 minutes of his imagery. And this is coming from someone who really enjoys arty, non narrative films.
  15. PortalStar
    Jul 13, 2003
    The movie was terrible. It was too long (3 hours with an intermission), and had vague social themes with no impact. The occasionally beautiful shots almost made the movie worth seeing, but didn't make up for the repetativeness and tedium. There was no speech. Barnes beats his subtle themes into you, when he could have summed up the movie in 15 minutes having spent less money. I think The movie was terrible. It was too long (3 hours with an intermission), and had vague social themes with no impact. The occasionally beautiful shots almost made the movie worth seeing, but didn't make up for the repetativeness and tedium. There was no speech. Barnes beats his subtle themes into you, when he could have summed up the movie in 15 minutes having spent less money. I think the only reason critics praise it is for fear the art world will think they are not intelligent. To quote a friend, "If I prevent enough people from seeing Cremaster 3, my life will have been worth living." Expand
  16. ThereseP.
    Sep 14, 2003
    Cremaster= masturbation, white male, pretentious, chauvinistic, and totally overrated.
  17. MonicaB.
    Mar 23, 2004
    This movie was terribly pretentious and tediously over-drawn. The repetition was suicide-inducing drivel, indeed with vague themes and metaphors that you could only "get" by reading off the website. Take off the lavish, expensive costumes, sets, and effects, and what you'd get would be a piece of drivel.
  18. Jun 19, 2014
    This movie is some next level **** or this dude is a **** troll. I enjoyed it but I wish I was inebriated when I was watching it. Not because it was bad I just wish I drunk off a bottle of VSOP or Goose. There's a lot of Irish chanting, and beer drinking. There is pretty chick wearing high-heels slicing potatos. There's a horde of classic cars having a battle royal in a skyscraper. There'sThis movie is some next level **** or this dude is a **** troll. I enjoyed it but I wish I was inebriated when I was watching it. Not because it was bad I just wish I drunk off a bottle of VSOP or Goose. There's a lot of Irish chanting, and beer drinking. There is pretty chick wearing high-heels slicing potatos. There's a horde of classic cars having a battle royal in a skyscraper. There's a hobbit and lonely giant. There's a funeral for a zombie. It has some strange music. I compare this film to Monty Python, David Lynch, and a Julie Taymor sex tape. I say watch this it is good. Expand

1. If Cremaster 3 is an innovative artwork that has been credited with breaking down the distance between sculpture and film, is it also a great movie? Probably yes.
  2. Reviewed by: Ken Fox
    Barney has been criticized as willfully esoteric, but if traditional meaning is once again elusive in this film, it remains an enthralling aesthetic experience, one that's steeped in mystery and a ravishing, baroque beauty.
  3. Barney's cinematic art inspires both awe and revulsion, often simultaneously.