7.4

1. Oct 16, 2011
    I was in the belief that this movie would turn out amongst the critics as a pile of worthless, tedious crap. I found myself choking on the fact that this actually did well at the box office, and even critics raved about. I've seen a lot better films in my lifetime, and yet this tops off as best compared with films I've seen which ACTUALLY HAVE A PLOT. Darn it, I hoped something interesting would happen when I was watching this, but I couldn't, because I didn't know what the hell was going on. I couldn't exactly make out much apart from some sword, dancing through trees and some random love story, which in itself made no sense. And the ending? The worst ending in the history of the earth, a complete flop - fortunately, at least the other parts of the film were bad so it wasn't let down by the ending, although I wouldn't have minded in myself - it was so boring anyway, I didn't see why we should have turned it off while me and my family we watching before it finished. At least I got to see what sort of MASSIVE FAIL the ending was, to top it all off. Expand
  2. Sep 21, 2010
    I had no idea what to expect my first time watching this film and it had everything to make it a masterpiece and is also the film that cause an interest in foreign films for good reasons. As far as story go, Ang Lee dose a great job capturing the feel in every scene in both the action sequence and dramatic scenes that its beautiful to watch. It`s a story that blends action, romance, betrayal, and vengeance with flawless execution which makes for an experience unlike Hollywood will ever make. The special effects in this film makes it more unbelievable how incredible this film is. The only complaints is not a big deal unless you hate reading subtitles for an entire movie. I recommend anybody who wants a different experience than what their usually use to. Expand
  3. Oct 4, 2010
    This film really surprised me. It's very well made and stunning to watch. The scenery is spectacular, the film alone could be used as an advertisement for Tourism in China. The action sequences are unbelievable and the three main stars are very well cast. This is a visual feast.
  4. Nov 25, 2010
    One of the best movies ive seen ever, so beautiful the music is poetic and beautiful, the fight scenes beautifully choreographed, such a lovely movie, cant belive the idiot on here who rate it lowly.
  5. Dec 30, 2011
    It goes from boring in the beginning all the way to the perfect martial arts/action movie. I found most of the martial arts scenes to be surprisingly ambitious.
  6. Aug 4, 2012
    Please no, make it stop. When the most over-rated director of all time is let loose with such a poor script and weak concept, no wonder the result is a muddled and contrived nonsense. Absolute drivel from start to finish, genuinely I can't find anything positive to say about this awful waste of time. I gave this 1 out of 10, and that point is only earned for it being the only film I ever walked out on at the cinema. I gave it a second chance on DVD, but to no avail. This motion picture is a modern day version of the emperors new clothes! People will tell you its good and give you that knowing look, as though there's some deep, wonderful secret to be found here. There isn't. The only secret is that its simply a woefully poor film. Avoid at all costs. Expand
  7. Nov 4, 2012
    The go-to wuxia film. Lyrical and elegant, at a certain point it becomes more than just an action film with beautifully choreographed action sequences.
  8. Nov 17, 2012
    Brings an elegance to the martial arts movie that is of utmost significance. It is not the perfect film that the critics make it out to be, but I'm glad this film was made. It teaches us that a genre which seems flat and one-sided can be transcended and made important.
  9. Dec 4, 2012
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is arguably one of the finest movies ever made and it is truly a masterpiece in every aspect of film-making such as characterization, action sequences, screenplay, direction, cinematography, acting, the stoyline and the main theme of the movie. I don't remember how many times I have watched this movie and it always feels so great, gives me much satisfaction.
  10. Apr 14, 2013
    I found it a little overrated. It wasn't as astonishing as I had expected. A little better than a so-so one for me. That's it. Some predictable stuff and not so amazing story to me.
  11. May 9, 2013
    I honestly headed into this film thinking that I would not like it because of the subtitles, but it was very good. Not the best movie ever, obviously, but it was very entertaining, especially once I came to understand what the characters were representing. Ang Lee did a fantastic job directing the film and all of the actors were marvelous as well.
  12. May 10, 2013
    This is not your typical American "Chinese" film about fighting, gangs and all that stereotypical crap. Humanism permeates this film as much as in other film by Lee Ang. All violence is token and is subjugated to a purpose. Comparing this film to Jackie Chan flicks is not unlike comparing fine cuisine in China to the supposed "Chinese food" in the US.
  13. Sep 2, 2013
    This is martial arts at its finest, a film where everybody is fighting for something, there is always a sense when watching a classic martial arts film that when these fight scenes happen, the artists involved appreciate and respect the skill of their enemy or counterpart, and director Ang Lee has respected this essence in this epic tale.
    Not only does he create some spectacular scenes of
    awe and beauty, but he also has a compelling and fluid story that equally matches the action, a feat that may seem impossible, given the ambitious, heroic and gravity-defying segments that are played out as a well choreographed drama that surprises throughout, it's a riveting fantasy but also keeps a very grounded element and human touch to drive the film forward.
    The story surrounds a very ancient and sought-after sword, owned by veteran warrior Li Mu Bai (Chow Yun-Fat) who is now passing it along as a gift, something that surprises many, including his fellow warrior and longtime love interest Yu Shu Lien (Michelle Yeoh). But the such a sought after sword is not safe anywhere and a cunning but unknown thief steals the sword, setting various pieces of the puzzle into place, we are also introduced to Jen Yu (Zhang Ziyi), who has a deep interest in the work of the warriors, but leads a very routine life and is soon to be married. She is the dark horse of the film, where it becomes clear that all is not as it seems with this mysterious girl.
    This ties in well with the spectacular scenes of action involving roof chases, wall climbing and some very impressive sequences that were all done without computer generated actions, these actors and actresses did most of their own work, and it is the seamless motion of these moments, paired with an intriguing and in depth story that make this one of the best martial arts films ever made, it has moments of grandeur but also never let's go of its humility, which combines love, loss, anger and respect,all while also showing some groundbreaking fight sequences that will truly be viewed as unmatched.
    Great performances, excellent direction and expert cinematography which creates a mesmerising film of epic proportions, it has a simple premise but is delivered on a much broader and intertwining story arc that keeps on giving right to the credits.
  14. Apr 2, 2014
    The special effects killed it for me. It was painfully obvious they were using wires to jump around and it's like they didn't even bother to try to cover it up. Very disappointing and as another review said, I'd recommend House of Flying Daggers a heck of a lot more than this.
  15. Apr 30, 2014
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is Lee's masterpiece, and possibly his most creative film. He honors the traditional style of Chinese filmmaking with respect and careful attention to detail. It's beautiful and stunning, with memorable and expertly choreographed fighting scenes, and top-notch cinematography. Even thought the movie was translated into English for me, I still found its (translated) dialogue very well-written and well-said. Not to mention, the acting and story are pretty good as well, but not up to the level of the beauty and art side of the film. Expand

1. Handsome, passionate and fun. It's everything we go to the movies for.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Brilliance of the action and effects are supplemented by a consistently superior and resourceful score by Tan Dun.
    The picture is more fun than it has a right to be.