7.5

1. Mar 19, 2015
    When I watch an action movie that has romance, I cringe because alot of times those two genres dont get mixed very well, but the director did such a wonderful job paying sooo much attention to the music, film setting, and the beauty that China has to offer. Yes, it is not that perfect in terms of predictability but you will get immersed in the interweaving plots that this movie has toWhen I watch an action movie that has romance, I cringe because alot of times those two genres dont get mixed very well, but the director did such a wonderful job paying sooo much attention to the music, film setting, and the beauty that China has to offer. Yes, it is not that perfect in terms of predictability but you will get immersed in the interweaving plots that this movie has to offer. For me, it was quite relatable from the lessons that the director tried to convey. The fight scenes are of course classic and the acting is alright.

I'm giving this a 10 because this is a unique film in its genre that gives a real story instead of just 2 hrs of hardcore action
  2. Jan 26, 2015
    After seeing good reviews for this movie I thought it was gonna be really cool but I was wrong. This movie is very overrated and has a boring story. The story is about a thief that steals a special sword, people chase after that thief, the thief falls in love the end. The fighting scenes are cheesy and not very good and the floating acrobatics did the movie no justice. Overall I wouldn'tAfter seeing good reviews for this movie I thought it was gonna be really cool but I was wrong. This movie is very overrated and has a boring story. The story is about a thief that steals a special sword, people chase after that thief, the thief falls in love the end. The fighting scenes are cheesy and not very good and the floating acrobatics did the movie no justice. Overall I wouldn't recommend this movie, there are better martial arts/fantasy movies out there. Expand
  3. Jan 21, 2015
    Crouching poop is more like it. For sheep who want to belong to the hip crowd and the artsy fartsy folks with below average IQ. Clearly the reviewers were all paid off or cherry picked (Sony is notorious for fixing reviews), because they cant get average real people to positively review their garbage. Extremely boring film with nonsensical plot, uninteresting characters that have no depthCrouching poop is more like it. For sheep who want to belong to the hip crowd and the artsy fartsy folks with below average IQ. Clearly the reviewers were all paid off or cherry picked (Sony is notorious for fixing reviews), because they cant get average real people to positively review their garbage. Extremely boring film with nonsensical plot, uninteresting characters that have no depth whatsoever on top of extremely stupid looking martial arts like we were back in the early 80s again (but without the grit). No redeeming qualities anywhere. This one was so bad I actually walked out of the movie theater on its premiere more than a decade ago. I asked and was given a refund. I watched it entirely a few days ago and basically played with my phone the second half of the movie out of boredom. For what its worth, I like action movies but I don't need explosions and effects to find enjoyment. I need a story 1st, and then anything else is gravy... it a movie after all. If i want to look at a painting ill go do that but this is a movie and not a painting. A movie is supposed to have a story to tell otherwise there is no reason to make it into a movie aside from appeasing one inflated ego. Even if a story is non-sense it could still be interesting if characters are interesting or funny. This movie has none of that. It might as well had been told in a 10 page picture book for kids.

People need to stop selling out just to fit into the crowd. Grow a spine and call it what it is. This is a bad movie that was overrated through corporate payoffs.
  4. Nov 12, 2014
    To this day I still do not understand what anyone got from this movie. I waited and waited for a good scene, any good scene to arrive, then the movie abruptly ended. Worst movie I can remember seeing. "Action" movie? There is NEVER any decent action and the story is rubbish.
  5. Sep 16, 2014
    I must have seen a different movie. Many of my friends praise this as the ultimate (and poetic) martial arts movie. For me the movie was just above average. The story is nothing special for me. I will even say it was boring some times. The pictures are fantastic and the soundtrack is good. The martial art scenes are good too and Chow Yun Fat is always a bonus point. The actors are good, aI must have seen a different movie. Many of my friends praise this as the ultimate (and poetic) martial arts movie. For me the movie was just above average. The story is nothing special for me. I will even say it was boring some times. The pictures are fantastic and the soundtrack is good. The martial art scenes are good too and Chow Yun Fat is always a bonus point. The actors are good, a solid performance from everyone. Overall I find the movie is a bit overrated but by all standards no failure. I would give 6,5 /10 so that means rounded up 7/10. Expand
  6. Apr 30, 2014
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is Lee's masterpiece, and possibly his most creative film. He honors the traditional style of Chinese filmmaking with respect and careful attention to detail. It's beautiful and stunning, with memorable and expertly choreographed fighting scenes, and top-notch cinematography. Even thought the movie was translated into English for me, I still found itsCrouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is Lee's masterpiece, and possibly his most creative film. He honors the traditional style of Chinese filmmaking with respect and careful attention to detail. It's beautiful and stunning, with memorable and expertly choreographed fighting scenes, and top-notch cinematography. Even thought the movie was translated into English for me, I still found its (translated) dialogue very well-written and well-said. Not to mention, the acting and story are pretty good as well, but not up to the level of the beauty and art side of the film. Expand
  7. Apr 2, 2014
    The special effects killed it for me. It was painfully obvious they were using wires to jump around and it's like they didn't even bother to try to cover it up. Very disappointing and as another review said, I'd recommend House of Flying Daggers a heck of a lot more than this.
  8. Sep 2, 2013
    This is martial arts at its finest, a film where everybody is fighting for something, there is always a sense when watching a classic martial arts film that when these fight scenes happen, the artists involved appreciate and respect the skill of their enemy or counterpart, and director Ang Lee has respected this essence in this epic tale.
    Not only does he create some spectacular scenes of
    Not only does he create some spectacular scenes of awe and beauty, but he also has a compelling and fluid story that equally matches the action, a feat that may seem impossible, given the ambitious, heroic and gravity-defying segments that are played out as a well choreographed drama that surprises throughout, it's a riveting fantasy but also keeps a very grounded element and human touch to drive the film forward.
    The story surrounds a very ancient and sought-after sword, owned by veteran warrior Li Mu Bai (Chow Yun-Fat) who is now passing it along as a gift, something that surprises many, including his fellow warrior and longtime love interest Yu Shu Lien (Michelle Yeoh). But the such a sought after sword is not safe anywhere and a cunning but unknown thief steals the sword, setting various pieces of the puzzle into place, we are also introduced to Jen Yu (Zhang Ziyi), who has a deep interest in the work of the warriors, but leads a very routine life and is soon to be married. She is the dark horse of the film, where it becomes clear that all is not as it seems with this mysterious girl.
    This ties in well with the spectacular scenes of action involving roof chases, wall climbing and some very impressive sequences that were all done without computer generated actions, these actors and actresses did most of their own work, and it is the seamless motion of these moments, paired with an intriguing and in depth story that make this one of the best martial arts films ever made, it has moments of grandeur but also never let's go of its humility, which combines love, loss, anger and respect,all while also showing some groundbreaking fight sequences that will truly be viewed as unmatched.
    Great performances, excellent direction and expert cinematography which creates a mesmerising film of epic proportions, it has a simple premise but is delivered on a much broader and intertwining story arc that keeps on giving right to the credits.
  9. May 10, 2013
    This is not your typical American "Chinese" film about fighting, gangs and all that stereotypical crap. Humanism permeates this film as much as in other film by Lee Ang. All violence is token and is subjugated to a purpose. Comparing this film to Jackie Chan flicks is not unlike comparing fine cuisine in China to the supposed "Chinese food" in the US.
  10. May 9, 2013
    I honestly headed into this film thinking that I would not like it because of the subtitles, but it was very good. Not the best movie ever, obviously, but it was very entertaining, especially once I came to understand what the characters were representing. Ang Lee did a fantastic job directing the film and all of the actors were marvelous as well.
  11. Apr 14, 2013
    I found it a little overrated. It wasn't as astonishing as I had expected. A little better than a so-so one for me. That's it. Some predictable stuff and not so amazing story to me.
  12. Dec 4, 2012
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is arguably one of the finest movies ever made and it is truly a masterpiece in every aspect of film-making such as characterization, action sequences, screenplay, direction, cinematography, acting, the stoyline and the main theme of the movie. I don't remember how many times I have watched this movie and it always feels so great, gives me much satisfaction.
  13. Nov 17, 2012
    Brings an elegance to the martial arts movie that is of utmost significance. It is not the perfect film that the critics make it out to be, but I'm glad this film was made. It teaches us that a genre which seems flat and one-sided can be transcended and made important.
  14. Nov 4, 2012
    The go-to wuxia film. Lyrical and elegant, at a certain point it becomes more than just an action film with beautifully choreographed action sequences.
  15. Aug 4, 2012
    Please no, make it stop. When the most over-rated director of all time is let loose with such a poor script and weak concept, no wonder the result is a muddled and contrived nonsense. Absolute drivel from start to finish, genuinely I can't find anything positive to say about this awful waste of time. I gave this 1 out of 10, and that point is only earned for it being the only film I everPlease no, make it stop. When the most over-rated director of all time is let loose with such a poor script and weak concept, no wonder the result is a muddled and contrived nonsense. Absolute drivel from start to finish, genuinely I can't find anything positive to say about this awful waste of time. I gave this 1 out of 10, and that point is only earned for it being the only film I ever walked out on at the cinema. I gave it a second chance on DVD, but to no avail. This motion picture is a modern day version of the emperors new clothes! People will tell you its good and give you that knowing look, as though there's some deep, wonderful secret to be found here. There isn't. The only secret is that its simply a woefully poor film. Avoid at all costs. Expand
  16. Dec 30, 2011
    It goes from boring in the beginning all the way to the perfect martial arts/action movie. I found most of the martial arts scenes to be surprisingly ambitious.
  17. Oct 16, 2011
    I was in the belief that this movie would turn out amongst the critics as a pile of worthless, tedious crap. I found myself choking on the fact that this actually did well at the box office, and even critics raved about. I've seen a lot better films in my lifetime, and yet this tops off as best compared with films I've seen which ACTUALLY HAVE A PLOT. Darn it, I hoped something interestingI was in the belief that this movie would turn out amongst the critics as a pile of worthless, tedious crap. I found myself choking on the fact that this actually did well at the box office, and even critics raved about. I've seen a lot better films in my lifetime, and yet this tops off as best compared with films I've seen which ACTUALLY HAVE A PLOT. Darn it, I hoped something interesting would happen when I was watching this, but I couldn't, because I didn't know what the hell was going on. I couldn't exactly make out much apart from some sword, dancing through trees and some random love story, which in itself made no sense. And the ending? The worst ending in the history of the earth, a complete flop - fortunately, at least the other parts of the film were bad so it wasn't let down by the ending, although I wouldn't have minded in myself - it was so boring anyway, I didn't see why we should have turned it off while me and my family we watching before it finished. At least I got to see what sort of MASSIVE FAIL the ending was, to top it all off. Collapse
  18. Nov 25, 2010
    One of the best movies ive seen ever, so beautiful the music is poetic and beautiful, the fight scenes beautifully choreographed, such a lovely movie, cant belive the idiot on here who rate it lowly.
  19. Oct 4, 2010
    This film really surprised me. It's very well made and stunning to watch. The scenery is spectacular, the film alone could be used as an advertisement for Tourism in China. The action sequences are unbelievable and the three main stars are very well cast. This is a visual feast.
  20. Sep 21, 2010
    I had no idea what to expect my first time watching this film and it had everything to make it a masterpiece and is also the film that cause an interest in foreign films for good reasons. As far as story go, Ang Lee dose a great job capturing the feel in every scene in both the action sequence and dramatic scenes that its beautiful to watch. It`s a story that blends action, romance,I had no idea what to expect my first time watching this film and it had everything to make it a masterpiece and is also the film that cause an interest in foreign films for good reasons. As far as story go, Ang Lee dose a great job capturing the feel in every scene in both the action sequence and dramatic scenes that its beautiful to watch. It`s a story that blends action, romance, betrayal, and vengeance with flawless execution which makes for an experience unlike Hollywood will ever make. The special effects in this film makes it more unbelievable how incredible this film is. The only complaints is not a big deal unless you hate reading subtitles for an entire movie. I recommend anybody who wants a different experience than what their usually use to. Expand
  21. ChristosM
    Jul 6, 2009
    Saying this is a bad film just because you are bored of reading the subtitles proves how uneducated and childish some people can be.Americans tend not to recognize the fact there is filmmaking happening outside of America and the Uk too. I must admit the origins of the film increase the hype surrounding it but most of all it's a rewarding movie full of high aesthetics,great martial Saying this is a bad film just because you are bored of reading the subtitles proves how uneducated and childish some people can be.Americans tend not to recognize the fact there is filmmaking happening outside of America and the Uk too. I must admit the origins of the film increase the hype surrounding it but most of all it's a rewarding movie full of high aesthetics,great martial performances and if not good acting,at least perfect photography.It's a piece glistenning with oriental elegance! Expand
  22. TraceyM
    Apr 18, 2009
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is a movie that explores the mythical side of our imagination, is something that begins to try and make our minds become a world in itself. However, was it the type of movie that is reaching for the stars when it can barely jump off the ground?
  23. Flux
    Feb 7, 2009
    The biggest problem with Crouching Tiger was that it's brilliance and success opened the door to all the incoherent, emperor-worshiping, "costumes and choreography over story" crap like Hero and Flying Daggers and Golden Blossom. Those later wuxia offerings were visual spectacles, but lacked story or plot. Which is perhaps why simple-minded fanboys prefer them to the intelligence and The biggest problem with Crouching Tiger was that it's brilliance and success opened the door to all the incoherent, emperor-worshiping, "costumes and choreography over story" crap like Hero and Flying Daggers and Golden Blossom. Those later wuxia offerings were visual spectacles, but lacked story or plot. Which is perhaps why simple-minded fanboys prefer them to the intelligence and grace of this masterpiece. Expand
  24. Lee
    Aug 19, 2008
    This movie was 10x better the Pan's Labyrinth, which in my mind was sorely disapointing reguardless of the hype. A little long but it tells a great story!
  25. AndrewR.
    Jul 15, 2008
    An artistically stylized martial arts movie with great performances from all.
  26. PamaF.
    Mar 3, 2008
    This movie was mad. The graphics was really good and thestroy line was interesting.
  27. KevinG.
    Jan 23, 2008
    Boring! The story was long, drawn out, and had little to no redeeming qualities. The acting was good, though the whole idea of the movie was pushed at its "amazing" effects. I'm sorry, but people jumping around on trees obviously dangling from wires is not my idea of 'good' effects. Forget Crouching Tiger, Get "House of Flying Daggers" or "Hero". They are both 100% better Boring! The story was long, drawn out, and had little to no redeeming qualities. The acting was good, though the whole idea of the movie was pushed at its "amazing" effects. I'm sorry, but people jumping around on trees obviously dangling from wires is not my idea of 'good' effects. Forget Crouching Tiger, Get "House of Flying Daggers" or "Hero". They are both 100% better than this. Expand
  28. XouX.
    Dec 13, 2007
    The film was rather interesting due to its storyline but it lacks action prior to the other Hong Kong thrillers. Still a watchable movie worthy of an Oscar.
  29. JohnnyT
    Sep 1, 2007
    Most of the reviews seem to be all or nothing, for me, great acting, better story, beautifully filmed.
  30. DannyD.
    Jun 26, 2007
    This is honestly my favorite movie. I hadn't looked at these reviews yet, and it surprises me that it got such high scores because reviewers rarely like the same movies that I do. Oh, and to the kid who said that he likes The Protector better, I saw that and I agree that the action is absolutely stunning. I think that guy had to have almost died multiple times in the making of the This is honestly my favorite movie. I hadn't looked at these reviews yet, and it surprises me that it got such high scores because reviewers rarely like the same movies that I do. Oh, and to the kid who said that he likes The Protector better, I saw that and I agree that the action is absolutely stunning. I think that guy had to have almost died multiple times in the making of the movie, but the storyline was obviously the last thing on anyone's mind while making the movie. Expand
  31. ChristopherJ.
    Mar 17, 2007
    It was ok. The fight scenes need a more aggressive editor. The film is gorgeous to look at and listen to. I don't find tragedy very entertaining. Especially when it unfolds so slowly.
  32. BIGBUTTER
    Feb 8, 2007
    Really good movie and the action was awesome. Hard to follow in parts.
  33. EnriqueB.
    Jan 27, 2007
    Absolutely fantastic! This movie shows the true beauty of martial arts cinema, it's a shame not everybody understands it.
  34. DanielC.
    Nov 30, 2006
    Films like this really annoy me, simply because of the over the top fighting. If you want a good martial arts film that is recent, then watch ong bak or tom yum goong(aka the protector aka the warrior king).
  35. JB
    Aug 11, 2006
    An excellent film and perhaps the only variation on Pride and Prejudice I can stomach. It's a story primarily about the decisions one must make when duty and honor clash with desire and passion, told through moments of tender romance and fierce conflict. I came to see an action flick. I left having seen an epic.
  36. Rev.Rikard
    Jun 23, 2006
    I was mesmerized by a martial arts movie presented with the beauty and grace of a ballet. Martial arts movies are always about "dance" as we watch the warriors participating in moves rooted in nature. Usually these moves are fascinating to watch. But, whereas others seized my attention by the complexity of the moves, this movie snared me with the expression of simple beauty.
  37. Nebular
    Jan 12, 2006
    It's simply to say,that 'Crouching Tiger' is the best martial arts movie of all time! Great directing,good acting,excellent cinematography and impressive fight sequences!
  38. WillR.
    Dec 9, 2005
    This movie was so awesome. If you are into Chinese mythology, you'll love this movie. If you are into Chinese ass kicking, you'll love this movie.
  39. MichaelL.
    Nov 21, 2005
    Who the hell cared about a stupid movie as this? I just dont understand why anyone would like to waste 2 hours watching a movie they cant understand with no plot whatsoever.
  40. VidM.
    Nov 10, 2005
    It's bomb! You know it!
  41. MarshallM.
    Oct 21, 2005
    Pshh, stupid chunk n. u must not know what a good movie is. this is a masterpeice of foreign filmmaking!
  42. ChunkN.
    Oct 11, 2005
    Could not even get halfway through this stupid movie.
  43. NathanG.
    Jul 14, 2005
    CTHD uniquely fuses a western mood (with its themes of repressed love & romantic love) w/ the more genre-familiar themes of avenging a master's death and what it truly means to master martial arts. As Li Mu Bai, Chow Yun Fat is outstanding in his ability to convey ideas with very little said. Zhang Ziyi's character shuns guidance from him, choosing to burn her own way through CTHD uniquely fuses a western mood (with its themes of repressed love & romantic love) w/ the more genre-familiar themes of avenging a master's death and what it truly means to master martial arts. As Li Mu Bai, Chow Yun Fat is outstanding in his ability to convey ideas with very little said. Zhang Ziyi's character shuns guidance from him, choosing to burn her own way through life. These two performances really shine. Michelle Yeoh is excellent as always, displaying the same talent for swordplay she did in Tai Chi Master and Wing Chun -- both on par w/ Crouching Tiger. So much has already been said about this movie, but after reading stuff on this site such as "This movie is absolutely horrible. There isn't a drop of reality in the thing. Don't waste your time," I had to write something. To the many reviewers who hate the flying: CTHD is part of a martial arts sub-genre called Wuxia Pien, by which it's acceptable for the choreography and weaponry to go beyond the realistic. Expand
    Jul 11, 2005
    A flowing masterpiece, in terms of story, art and action. The musical score in commendable, too. Hero and House of Flying Daggers are excellent as well, but fall a few points short of this one, as they have some clunky or lathargic moments, particularly the latter's lame ending. The movie's never too long, and pacing is even. Many good action movies tend to have rusty parts, but A flowing masterpiece, in terms of story, art and action. The musical score in commendable, too. Hero and House of Flying Daggers are excellent as well, but fall a few points short of this one, as they have some clunky or lathargic moments, particularly the latter's lame ending. The movie's never too long, and pacing is even. Many good action movies tend to have rusty parts, but I can't find one in this film. Expand
  45. MikeC.
    Jul 9, 2005
    It is a measure of the failure of American film criticism that this confused and overlong martial-arts soap opera is in the top ten at Metacritic, while The Matrix, one of the best films ever made, doesn't even rate in the top 200.
  46. DesiA.
    Jun 12, 2005
    Perhaps the most overly hyped movie I have ever seen. Its good, but not Academy Award good. The fight sceens and direction are the ONLY thing that made this movie such a hit - the story jumps around and seems to kick in and drop out without a notice - guess it comes with the territory. But, then again, the Matrix had great fights, inventive directing, and a good story... strange. And, so Perhaps the most overly hyped movie I have ever seen. Its good, but not Academy Award good. The fight sceens and direction are the ONLY thing that made this movie such a hit - the story jumps around and seems to kick in and drop out without a notice - guess it comes with the territory. But, then again, the Matrix had great fights, inventive directing, and a good story... strange. And, so did the Iron Monkey. Oh and so did _______ (insert Martial Arts/Greeco-Romantic/Sci-Fi Film name of the past 50 years). In retrospec, I realize how often I became bored during this movie. At one point (after renting this movie) I even left to room, only to come back and not really care what had happened. Then the Kung Fu started up again, and I cared even less. Good, but no Academy Award good.... hell, not even DVD rack good. Expand
  47. AlynG.
    May 14, 2005
    Mesmerizing film. Outstanding combination of story, characters, cinematography, cultural repression and inner conflict. Can't wait to view it again to see what I missed the first time.
  48. yoyoma
    May 11, 2005
    Crouching story, Hidden Acting.
  49. JBarr
    Apr 8, 2005
    Overrated pop-culture crap. I don't care if it's from another country unless it's a good movie. Their later works of The house of Flying Daggers and Hero were a great lep ahead of this. If you were going to watch this movie, watch one of those instead.
  50. MarcusR
    Mar 30, 2005
    Wasn't even worth my time. What do you get from tons of stupid martial art fighting scenes, no story line and bad acting? A BAD MOVIE I can't stop reiterating how bad this movie was.
  51. SørenP.
    Mar 1, 2005
    Beautiful movie -- excellent fight scenes and a stunning setting.
  52. ct
    Jan 23, 2005
    Great movie!
  53. DavidF.
    Jan 7, 2005
    Very stylish movie with excellent mix of fantasy and martial arts.
  54. Ray
    Jan 6, 2005
    Exquisite.
  55. MikeG.
    Dec 4, 2004
    It's a dazzling movie, and the fight scenes are great. But the message flies in the face of the typical Eastern philosophy, and I'm not necessarily sure that's a good thing. There's too much bouncing back and forth between the three main characters, and it feels like they all get shortchanged as a result. Still, a dazzling movie that entertains throughout.
  56. GaborA.
    Aug 19, 2004
    Remember the Karate Kid? Take the most cliche martial arts quote from it. So now you're somewhere in the Best of the Best territory. Then go even lower in terms of hackneyedness and you have every line of dialogue in Crouching Tiger. Plot? None. There are two types of scenes in this movie. Standard hollywood attempts at drama and endless repetitive fight scenes. I know that theres Remember the Karate Kid? Take the most cliche martial arts quote from it. So now you're somewhere in the Best of the Best territory. Then go even lower in terms of hackneyedness and you have every line of dialogue in Crouching Tiger. Plot? None. There are two types of scenes in this movie. Standard hollywood attempts at drama and endless repetitive fight scenes. I know that theres movie in china that combine the sword and the soul. Bring some of them over. Expand
  57. PradR.
    Jul 8, 2004
    Sheer brilliance on a tenth of the budget of hollywood tripe.
  58. JohnD.
    Jul 1, 2004
    7 out of 10 as an average score for such an amazing film?
  59. JipB.
    Jun 19, 2004
    This is simply the best movie I have seen in a long, long time. It was the whole Chinese scenery of the movie that grabbed my attention from the beginning of the movie. The movie shows how beautiful music, perfect dialogues and stunning martial arts scenes can be combined in one movie. The whole movie is in Mandarin, and it gives the movie a natural feel. I feel sorry for people who are This is simply the best movie I have seen in a long, long time. It was the whole Chinese scenery of the movie that grabbed my attention from the beginning of the movie. The movie shows how beautiful music, perfect dialogues and stunning martial arts scenes can be combined in one movie. The whole movie is in Mandarin, and it gives the movie a natural feel. I feel sorry for people who are not able to appreciate such a work of art. According to many people who criticise the movie, the martial arts scenes are "over the top". Why, is it in fims like alien or Lord of the rings that unrealistic events are seen as exiting or thrilling, an in Crouching tiger it is seen as a point of criticism. And how is it possible to make China in a movie feel like China without the right language?. These questions shall not be answered by me now. Those who haven't seen the movie yet should definitely watch it, and be overwhelmed by this beautiful masterpiece. Expand
  60. D.Rush
    May 8, 2004
    Few movies in my lifetime have moved me as much as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I would challenge anyone who would dare speak ill of this film to a fight to the death.
  61. A10yearoldkid
    Mar 16, 2004
    The best i've ever seen!!
  62. JohnO.
    Mar 10, 2004
    Beautiful, well-made, but completely devoid of intelligence. Thus, it does never rise above mediocrity.
  63. BurkeH.
    Jan 31, 2004
    Perhaps the most overrated movie of all time. While it's sometimes visually impressive, the martial arts sequences are not particularly well done by Hong Kong standards. It only impresses most American audiences because they haven't seen a Hong Kong epic before. If you enjoyed this movie, you'll be blown away by movies featuring people who actually know kung fu. (While Perhaps the most overrated movie of all time. While it's sometimes visually impressive, the martial arts sequences are not particularly well done by Hong Kong standards. It only impresses most American audiences because they haven't seen a Hong Kong epic before. If you enjoyed this movie, you'll be blown away by movies featuring people who actually know kung fu. (While Michelle Yeoh is very skilled, Chow Yun-Fat knows no martial arts whatsover.) Check out the real thing by the masters, not this mediocre film. Expand
  64. NinjaMafia
    Jan 20, 2004
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The film that brought kung-fu into main stream America. So, how does the movie really stack up? Well, the plot in the movie is really good, if you count it as a kung-fu movie. For any other type of movie (excluding comedy) this story feels a bit lacking. Hey, that doesn't matter, because they managed to incorporate a good story into a kung-fu film. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The film that brought kung-fu into main stream America. So, how does the movie really stack up? Well, the plot in the movie is really good, if you count it as a kung-fu movie. For any other type of movie (excluding comedy) this story feels a bit lacking. Hey, that doesn't matter, because they managed to incorporate a good story into a kung-fu film. Now, I'm not even going to comment on the acting because I don't fluently speak Chinese so I wouldn't be able to grade the way they act, however, from my point of view it is extremely well. How about the action? Well, the action was good in many parts. However, the parts where they just kind of flew seemed a bit ridiculous but at the same time, surreal and enchanting. However, the bar fight seen had some of this and it looked just ridiculous to me, unlike the bamboo forest. My real problem with this movie is the middle of the movie. The middle explains the past of a pair of lovers an the such. Besides the fact that chasing a man for days and weeks on end just for a brush is absurd, it just completely throws off the pacing and mood of the film. If they shortened that scene, then this film would most likely be a complete and utter masterpiece. Expand
  65. JarrodO.
    Jan 19, 2004
    An absolutely brilliant and beautiful film which will enchant anyone who has the ability to appreciate it. It's delicate subltey, realistic characters, excellent cinematography, fantastic fight scenes and simple yet touching story, combine to form a movie that makes most others seem shallow and totally uninspiring in comparison. People who do not like movies which actually make them An absolutely brilliant and beautiful film which will enchant anyone who has the ability to appreciate it. It's delicate subltey, realistic characters, excellent cinematography, fantastic fight scenes and simple yet touching story, combine to form a movie that makes most others seem shallow and totally uninspiring in comparison. People who do not like movies which actually make them think however, should not waste their time, the same goes for people who are unable to understand the concept of magic, as parts such as where the characters "fly" may confuse them. I cartainly pity people who are unable to enjoy this amazing film simply because they are unable to accept that not all ficticious stories need to abide by the laws of physics, or because having to read the subtitles makes their brains hurt. These people should stick to the bad action movies hollywood spew out every year to keep them happy, or even spend their time doing something constructive such as trying to work out why they can't appreciate a brlliant movie while many others can. I could go on forever about these people and how much they piss me off but frankly it's not worth it. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is an amazing movie which anyone with an imagination and an appreciation for the finer things in life will absolutely adore. Expand
  66. ChowYun-Fat
    Dec 13, 2003
    This movie was excellent. No questions asked. It had a good plot, action, romance, and fitting music. The combat is revolutionary. Now the butthead who said they've been doing that combat for years is right. But in this movie they did it WELL, there is a big difference. If you like kung fu fighting and deep characters with romance, this is must see, and if you don't maybe this This movie was excellent. No questions asked. It had a good plot, action, romance, and fitting music. The combat is revolutionary. Now the butthead who said they've been doing that combat for years is right. But in this movie they did it WELL, there is a big difference. If you like kung fu fighting and deep characters with romance, this is must see, and if you don't maybe this movie isn't the best for you. But there is no way this movie deserves a anything below an eight, especially not twos. Anyone who dissed this movie probably is a 30 year old virgin living in their parent's basement and hates all asian movies. That's just what I think though. Expand
  67. MovieLover
    Dec 12, 2003
    Amazing action sequences and martial arts. Story could have been better, though.
  68. PatC.
    Dec 1, 2003
    Sometimes a movie works for no obvious reason, defying analysis. Also, if one is familiar with past products of the Chinese film industry, this film is a warning that, unlike India and other provincial movie cultures, Chinese movies are often thoroughly composed and are now capable of global appeal. Watershed movie such as this usually get rated at least a 10. If it had been made Sometimes a movie works for no obvious reason, defying analysis. Also, if one is familiar with past products of the Chinese film industry, this film is a warning that, unlike India and other provincial movie cultures, Chinese movies are often thoroughly composed and are now capable of global appeal. Watershed movie such as this usually get rated at least a 10. If it had been made elsewhere, it's an 8. If made in Hollywood, no one would have believed it. Look, the oriental mindset is a little different. This movie gives one a chance to understand and enjoy it while relaxing and being entertained. Expand
  69. LordoftheRings
    Nov 2, 2003
    Please guys, 98?????? This is a movie of 50! The characters "fly" in battle and the movie is boring.
  70. MatthieuR.
    Oct 29, 2003
    Every year, it seems, Hollywood latches onto one or two foreign films and hypes them to high heaven. This wasn't a bad film, but as anyone who's watched other martial arts and chinese cinema knows, it is FAR from the best. The "revolutionary" fight scenes? Hong Kong directors have been doing that for years!
  71. YoonC.
    Sep 15, 2003
    Sweeping and grand, at moments even lushly beautiful, it suffers from Zhang Ziyi's skeletal features and performance. Far better are the seasoned veterans Chow and Yeoh who slowly, layer by layer, unwrap and bare the love they feel for eachother. Some action scenes have mythic grandeur while others are of looney tunes variety. Uneven, but far more mature than the average HK fare Sweeping and grand, at moments even lushly beautiful, it suffers from Zhang Ziyi's skeletal features and performance. Far better are the seasoned veterans Chow and Yeoh who slowly, layer by layer, unwrap and bare the love they feel for eachother. Some action scenes have mythic grandeur while others are of looney tunes variety. Uneven, but far more mature than the average HK fare which inspired it. Expand
  72. MikeN.
    Aug 9, 2003
    A very solid martial arts drama. I've seen a few better, I've seen a lot worse. Despite the critical acclamation and Academy awards, this is not a great picture however.
  73. DaveC.
    Jul 26, 2003
    98 points? Give it 100. This film is sweeping, beautiful, touching and wildly entertaining and I'm disappointed by the reviews from the non-critics. Listen. Just because you have to use your brain to understand it, doesn't make it rubbish. Ang Lee is a genius.
  74. MichelleP.
    Jul 15, 2003
    I remember seeing this movie when I was in 3rd grade. Though I didn't understand it too much, I remember that it was still able to hold my attention. A few days ago I watched it and loved it even more. It's a beautiful and moving story with superb acting, good characters, beautiful forest settings, and a compelling, inspiring, and touching story. I absolutely loved it.
  75. MattH.
    Jul 11, 2003
    This movie sucks case closed.
  76. AliM.
    Jul 2, 2003
    This was one of the most boring and overrated films of the past decade. The first time I watched it I fell asleep, so I thought I'd missed something, and watched it again. No wonder I fell asleep. The plot is juvenile, the characters are thin, and the action is appalling. This was lucky to scrape a two from me. I can't beleive great comedies get such bad reviews from critics, This was one of the most boring and overrated films of the past decade. The first time I watched it I fell asleep, so I thought I'd missed something, and watched it again. No wonder I fell asleep. The plot is juvenile, the characters are thin, and the action is appalling. This was lucky to scrape a two from me. I can't beleive great comedies get such bad reviews from critics, when stuff as bad as this is one of the highest scoring films ever. Expand
  77. MinT.
    May 18, 2003
    Being Chinese myself, I was extremely disappointed in the juvenile references in the film. I myself prefer less violent films. However, I do commend the makers of the film on the breath-taking cinematograpy. All in all, this movie warrants a dead center rating. I would also like to request that users condense their reviews, as many of us would rather not read a page-long review. Thank you.
  78. NickV.
    May 4, 2003
    Have fun reading the subtitles or having the voices not match the mpuths. And the story line sucks just like the movie and the one point is for it had cool action sences but story, ending, characters, and exciment is all a 0!
  79. MihaG.
    May 3, 2003
    98? What the h*ll? This is the most stupid film of all times. So what if it is "foreign" and a little "different"? If you want different, grab some films from old Yugoslavia like Ko to tamo pjeva or Maratonci. Or get some Scandinavian films... But don't waste your time with this stupidity just because they threw some money in it ... They still ended up with crap.
  80. GiovannaC.
    May 1, 2003
    Wonderful. this film deserved every award it received.
  81. KwanLiW.
    May 1, 2003
    Crap. i hated it. the "flying" scenes were absolutely not what they were cracked up to be. i must admit, however, the cinematography was awe-inspiring
  82. Peter
    Apr 18, 2003
    If you haven't seen this movie then you should do yourself a favor and rent it. This movie has a beautiful soul.
  83. Banshee
    Apr 16, 2003
    David E., You'd written, this movie would suck and that it's not even in ENGLISH (!?!?!?!?!). And then you lil coalitioners wonder why nearly the whole world hates the west? I hope that God or whoever's sittin up there will deliver you from obstinacy before it's too late. Open your eyes and open your mind!! CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON is a beautyfully David E., You'd written, this movie would suck and that it's not even in ENGLISH (!?!?!?!?!). And then you lil coalitioners wonder why nearly the whole world hates the west? I hope that God or whoever's sittin up there will deliver you from obstinacy before it's too late. Open your eyes and open your mind!! CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON is a beautyfully cinematographed and choreographed asian poem. And why the f..k shoud it be realistic? Expand
  84. MarkW.
    Apr 8, 2003
    One of the best movies ever! A masterpiece!
  85. BrainT.
    Mar 25, 2003
    One of the worst movies I've ever seen. I've come to realize that just because a movie is associated with an Oscar doesn't mean it's any good. This one left me with a bad taste in my mouth after believing all the hype surrounding it. I'm still wondering why this was nominated for anything.
  86. Kong
    Feb 27, 2003
    Although the fight scenes were slightly cool the movie was way overrated. I nearly fell asleep watching it.
  87. TerryW.
    Dec 29, 2002
    Since when do all greats film have to come in "English", they should watch film with closed mind and closed eyes.
  88. CrouchingGilbertHiddenMulroneycakes
    Dec 2, 2002
    No, the emperor has no clothes. This IS a good movie, and no-one is going to be impressed if you insinuate otherwise. In fact, it's almost certainly the best martial-arts film ever made. It's haunting, poetic and artistic, it's got great performances, the special effects are awe-inspiring (and, more importantly, DON'T represent the entire movie, no matter what the No, the emperor has no clothes. This IS a good movie, and no-one is going to be impressed if you insinuate otherwise. In fact, it's almost certainly the best martial-arts film ever made. It's haunting, poetic and artistic, it's got great performances, the special effects are awe-inspiring (and, more importantly, DON'T represent the entire movie, no matter what the Detractors might say). At this point I believe I'll do the complaint that "it wasn't even in ENGLISH" the justice of an acknowledgement. Dignifying such a stupid, stupid statement with a response, however, is out of my jurisdiction. Look, just watch this film, okay? Expand
  89. LuisC.
    Nov 25, 2002
    This IS the best movie of the last 10 years. Period. So all the rest of you just sit down and keep watching your pokemon videos.
  90. AdamE.
    Nov 25, 2002
    Crouching Tiger is a beautiful and well made film. It is moving, action packed, impressive and beautiful. IT rocks!
  91. CraigU.
    Sep 2, 2002
    We had a dubbed version, which is probably much easier to watch than trying to read all the subtitles. Naturally, it's funny at first with the out-of-sync mouth movements of the actors, but the story and scenery so well done, that you forget about the dubbing, and just get caught up in the story. The special effects are very good, and some of the fight scenes have to be watched over We had a dubbed version, which is probably much easier to watch than trying to read all the subtitles. Naturally, it's funny at first with the out-of-sync mouth movements of the actors, but the story and scenery so well done, that you forget about the dubbing, and just get caught up in the story. The special effects are very good, and some of the fight scenes have to be watched over & over again just for the fantastic choreography alone. Not to give away too many hints, but I will say the ending wasn't all that uplifting, and it could've ended on a happier note. Expand
  92. SylvaG.
    Aug 30, 2002
    The film sucks! it is more like cheese with the chinese noodle been cooked overly.
  93. ZachP.
    Aug 28, 2002
    Forget grouping it wth foreign language films, or kung fu flicks, this movie is one of the best films, of any kind, of last year. It's fun, it flies, it kicks ass. After you get over having to read the subtitles, you don't even notice they're there. The action scenes command your attention even more than those in The Matrix.
  94. CaseyT.
    Jul 12, 2002
    Probably the most overrated peice of garbage movie I've ever seen.
  95. DavidC.
    Jul 9, 2002
    It may seem unrealistic at times with the flying fighting scenes, but the film is captured in such a way, that you are lost in it's beauty. We need more Kung-fu pics like this.
  96. IsabelC.
    Jul 8, 2002
    While being unlike most films in the mainstream, it certainly rates as original. However, beneath it all it's really nothing more than special effects that quickly become tiresome. Over-rated and really rather tedious to watch.
  97. RosieT.
    Jun 24, 2002
    This film is a wonderful one. It is beautifully shot and choreographed, however, i give this film a 9 as opposed to a 10 because some parts of the movie were very far from reality.
  98. MikeS.
    Jun 23, 2002
    This movie is absolutely horrible. There isn't a drop of reality in the thing. Don't waste your time.
  99. PaulaW.
    Mar 11, 2002
    A kung-fu flick without the trashy fun, or, a Merchant-Ivory period piece without the emotional depth or historic accuracy: what's the point? I like Ang Lee, but I'm sorry to say that this hybrid has the worst of both worlds. A textbook case of "the emperor's new clothes".
  100. Cody
    Feb 21, 2002
    This movie is very well done. The flying that everyone is talking about is based on old kung-fu techniques, just as realistic as james bond, who falls out of an airplane and survives... Very good movie, Will be impressed.

1. Handsome, passionate and fun. It's everything we go to the movies for.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Brilliance of the action and effects are supplemented by a consistently superior and resourceful score by Tan Dun.
    The picture is more fun than it has a right to be.