6.6

1. Mar 24, 2012
    C.S.A. is an excellent satirical-historical product, cleverly using the Ken Burns' style of documentary making. I am pleased to have found it, and plan to share it with my friends. I fail to understand some other viewers' negative reaction to the film. I offer a compound question to them: Do you not understand satire or are you simply an ignorant, defensive racist? America has more than its share of ignoramuses and bigots. Such creatures will not find C.S.A. appealing. Expand

1. It's a fearless and brilliant racial-historical satire, done in a meticulous re-creation of the Ken Burns mode, that chronicles the last 150 years of America as if the South had won the Civil War.
    Of course, the very existence of someone like Willmott -- a black university professor who can make an angry, ruthless satire about American racism with impunity -- suggests that we're still a long way from living in the CSA.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    More intriguing on paper than when it actually unspools onscreen. Kevin Willmott's small-scaled but ambitious picture is well-researched, sometimes amusing and not unintelligent.