Cube

7.4

1. Oct 27, 2011
    Vincenzo Natali's "The Cube" is daring and packed with dangers and shocks. Tension surrounds the movie the whole time, as well as the director's masterful direction. Can you depend and put your faith in others after watching this movie?
  2. Sep 2, 2014
    "Cube" is a pretty intriguing and intense film. Making the Cube the antagonist of the film was a pretty big risk, but it did that fairly well until the very end, where one of the characters turned in to the villain. This was slightly disappointing, but it didn't completely ruin the film. It has great cinematography and very minimalist, yet beautiful, production design, but the acting is"Cube" is a pretty intriguing and intense film. Making the Cube the antagonist of the film was a pretty big risk, but it did that fairly well until the very end, where one of the characters turned in to the villain. This was slightly disappointing, but it didn't completely ruin the film. It has great cinematography and very minimalist, yet beautiful, production design, but the acting is slightly below average. I do recommend this movie for cult film lovers. Expand
  3. Dec 29, 2012
    I love the ideas behind this film; a mystery combined with some sci-fi and more than a touch of horror is right up my street. Unfortunately the execution just fails to pay off sufficiently for me to call it brilliant. I think the dialogue comes over as a little dated and that does let it down somewhat. Also the twist at the end was a tad predictable. Even so, I can
  4. Dec 18, 2015
    Cube is fairly well written and well directed. The effects in the film are also well done and it really draws you in and entertains the entire time. The problem however is Maurice Dean Witt's acting. He's honestly terrible and unfortunately plays a very central role in the plot. Other than that there are only a few flaws.
  5. Jul 26, 2013
    The movie is filled with dazzling effects and smart plot, with good acting and phenomenal direction. It is filled with tension, claustrophobic atmosphere and shocking events. It is smart, shocking and entertaining, with masterful direction, dazzling effects and good acting, you can't possibly ask for more.
  6. Feb 29, 2012
    You have to give the director credit for at least having the balls to go against the grain and try something different. Sometimes risks are worth it and they work out. Other times they are not so successful. I'm divided on this movie. The story is fresh and original with a lot of potential to be had, but most was wasted on an awful script with corny dialog and I won't even attempt toYou have to give the director credit for at least having the balls to go against the grain and try something different. Sometimes risks are worth it and they work out. Other times they are not so successful. I'm divided on this movie. The story is fresh and original with a lot of potential to be had, but most was wasted on an awful script with corny dialog and I won't even attempt to justify the wooden acting. Thankfully the general premise is strong enough to award this feature some dignity. A decent effort from a first time director. Expand
  7. Jul 13, 2013
    This is how NOT to make a film. Take five or six acting students (the only reason they could be so bad), Write some god-awful dialogue. Name each character after a prison or a college or a fast-food joint, whatever suits your fancy. Add some torture instruments. Shake together in a great big Rubik's Cube. Be sure to add no answers at all and "voila!" a pretentious piece of dreck.
  8. Jul 1, 2012
    A premise alone isn't enough to make a great film, however - tension is slowly built through character development and interaction - but unfortunately, for a film so focused on atmosphere and unwaveringly serious conversation, the acting and dialogue are both totally subpar. I was surprised by how cynically the film portrays the effects of a desperate situation on the human psyche, as theA premise alone isn't enough to make a great film, however - tension is slowly built through character development and interaction - but unfortunately, for a film so focused on atmosphere and unwaveringly serious conversation, the acting and dialogue are both totally subpar. I was surprised by how cynically the film portrays the effects of a desperate situation on the human psyche, as the group goes against all logic and begins to turn on each other. Natali has tried too hard to make complex political and social statements, and continually piles on allegory as each character makes their beliefs known, and it becomes a meaningless and confusing mess. The film makers have made the most of an limited budget; only a single set was used for the entire film, freeing up money to use on special effects, which are nothing special but get the job done. Expand
  9. Jan 19, 2011
    What a movie! Suspence everywhere... you don´t where to pay attention: the traps (a lot different ways), the way out or how to go thru, the steps the character take, what's coming next... each person itself... and their pasts... the trap... a cube, how an idea! This movie, should be named as CLEVER, INTELLIGENT SUSPENSE... great job for an amateur like Natali.
  10. May 30, 2016
    Despite the interesting idea, nice scenery and initially curious, the film has a script that does not develop and lousy performances you will never forget.
  11. Jul 12, 2015
    Não existe nota capaz de expressar o quanto este filme é extremamente incrível.

Diferente de história de assassinos em série, fantasmas, demônios e outros clichês do cinema norte-americano, The Cube é um filme que te faz explorar e se interessar por cada personagem de uma forma inimaginável, é como se você tivesse uma conexão real com cada ser e situação passada ali. Uma obra prima
    Não existe nota capaz de expressar o quanto este filme é extremamente incrível.

Uma obra prima do gênero, faz qualquer crítico ficar sem palavras de como descrever tamanha genialidade
  12. Sep 13, 2010
    LOVE this film! Not the greatest of acting, but the script is done well. One of my top 10 favorite sci-fi thrillers. Interesting story and it will keep you on the edge of your seat. NOT for the squeamish.
  13. Apr 13, 2014
    Honestly, not a big Horror fan, but I love this film, it's so creepy, mysterious & all-round bonkers that it makes it gripping, the only real complaint I have is the lack of answers this film has, I people will think this is what makes it mysterious, but at least one answer would have been nice, but the tense nature of this film is something I can't get enough of
  14. Nov 30, 2013
    Just can't help but think this can happen to me in reality!Clever plot,excellent acting,amazing set,best trilogy after the godfather that I might have ever seen.It is very difficult to revolve your story around a set of individuals in the same environment right from the beginning to the end and they did it amazingly..so kudos to the crew of cube. Daily soaps like Big Boss (In India) areJust can't help but think this can happen to me in reality!Clever plot,excellent acting,amazing set,best trilogy after the godfather that I might have ever seen.It is very difficult to revolve your story around a set of individuals in the same environment right from the beginning to the end and they did it amazingly..so kudos to the crew of cube. Daily soaps like Big Boss (In India) are derivatives of such ideas(they are pathetic in nature though,not even close to cube)..if you enjoyed this you might also enjoy the exam,house of 9 etc.. Expand
  15. Jul 5, 2012
    Acting wasnt bad to begin with, then it just started getting corny and predictable, and the way the ragtag group figures out where booby traps are and where they aren't is just plain STUPID i might add. Ending left something to be desired, but overall a good horror movie made bad by poor acting, a lack of character development, and a story with no real ending
  16. Jesse
    Sep 7, 2007
    not a bad idea for a film, just done very poorly and with horrible acting.
  17. MattK.
    Oct 19, 2005
    Very intense. Lots of surprises, good acting, existentialist in nature (but with a positive message), and a rewarding experience.
  18. CharlieW.
    Oct 30, 2006
    An incredible experience. A character study more than anything else, Cube kept me enthralled the whole way through. It is not about the traps; however, what traps are shown are simple yet diabolical. Each of the character's unique skills come to light over the course of the movie, and it is interesting to see how they interact with one another.
  19. JE.
    Jan 10, 2007
    This movie is a beautiful exercise in minimalism, creating an entertaining hour and a half long movie out of a very simple premise. It does seems confused about what kind of movie it wants to be, though. It begins promising a Resident Evil-like gorefest, but then morphs into a (albeit better) Twilight Zone-like thriller. For fans of Twilight Zone and 2001 and others that explore humanity This movie is a beautiful exercise in minimalism, creating an entertaining hour and a half long movie out of a very simple premise. It does seems confused about what kind of movie it wants to be, though. It begins promising a Resident Evil-like gorefest, but then morphs into a (albeit better) Twilight Zone-like thriller. For fans of Twilight Zone and 2001 and others that explore humanity and existentialism, this movie eventually gets it. For fans of people getting diced up, it doesn't last too long. Expand
  20. robugly
    Dec 28, 2005
    When this movie first came out, my friend saw it and told me that it was horrible and I should never watch it. Four or Five years later I saw it on television, I thought it was a great movie.
  21. Jan 31, 2011
    I saw the movie a couple of days ago in a real horror mood. The concept of the film is really good, but after a while the actors started bothering me. The most common reaction in the film was something like: 'Oh, let's do that door'. 'Yeah, let me check.' 2s later... 'Yes ok, let's do it'. - Someone dies - 'Aww, he's dead... tough luck'. - 'Let's try that door'. The actors are just to...I saw the movie a couple of days ago in a real horror mood. The concept of the film is really good, but after a while the actors started bothering me. The most common reaction in the film was something like: 'Oh, let's do that door'. 'Yeah, let me check.' 2s later... 'Yes ok, let's do it'. - Someone dies - 'Aww, he's dead... tough luck'. - 'Let's try that door'. The actors are just to... boring. After all, I enjoyed watching this film. Actingjob: 6/20
    - As i said,i really didn't like the actors. Concept: 14/20
    - Good concept, really liked this. Although they could've done more with this. By that i mean with the actors, and the plot. Plot: 9/20
    - I'm not giving any spoilers but, i didn't like this AT ALL... I felt kinda empty after this. I was hoping for more till the last second. Then when the credits came up, i must say, i was kinda angry. 90 minutes... for this ?!

Effects: 14/20
    - Pretty standard. Not so much that i can say about this. 4

Character development: 8/20
    - You don't know anything about the character. You only know: the general idea. 43/100 --> 4/10 I expected more of this.

It's an existential, Kafka-esque nightmare with no real resolution, although if you've been biding your time waiting to see some high-strung, ham-handed bickering on-screen, this is your A-ticket.
  2. Reviewed by: Ron Wells
    With basically a single set and a limited cast, the producers get the most of their limited budget, particular with a couple of spectacular death scenes.
  3. Cube falls into the dreaded trap of allegory -- aaaaaargh! -- and the clunky dialogue makes a midnight bull session seem brilliant by comparison.