7.4

1. Sep 12, 2011
    I could've sworn tears were coming out of my eyes when I was watching this. Tears of embarrassment to be precise! While the costumes in the film are pretty, the acting is terrible and the story is very, very lame! But the worst part was the fighting scene between the King's army and Prince's army. At that point the embarrassment has escalated to severe goosebumps. It is utterly humiliatingI could've sworn tears were coming out of my eyes when I was watching this. Tears of embarrassment to be precise! While the costumes in the film are pretty, the acting is terrible and the story is very, very lame! But the worst part was the fighting scene between the King's army and Prince's army. At that point the embarrassment has escalated to severe goosebumps. It is utterly humiliating because this film was shown internationally.. WHY?!! It's an awful piece of work by Zhang Yimou. Expand
  2. Cortnie
    Jan 13, 2007
    This flick was ultimately a disappointment. Despite the stunning visuals, the film had poor character development and failed to tie up loose ends. Zhang Yimou attempted to compensate for the lack of story line with copious amounts of cleavage... but not enough to rescue this tragedy.
  3. PaulT.
    Dec 19, 2006
    Sickly as opposed to visually stunning, Little plot no character dev, and a terrible ending made me feel cheated when the film seemed to accidently end.
  4. LarryH.
    Jan 22, 2007
    Disappointing. Yimou's last two films (Hero and Flying Daggers) were beautiful. Curse was too melodramatic and just plain boring. Not recommended.
  5. HJ
    May 25, 2007
    One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Laughable fighting scenes, some famous but inexperienced "actors" like Jay, and large titties, that's what's the movie all about.
  6. StephanieC.
    Dec 27, 2006
    A beautiful film to look at, but ruined by a horrible storyline.

1. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    This is high, and high-wire, melodrama. It's less soap opera than grand opera, where matters of love and death are played at a perfect fever pitch. And grand this Golden Flower is.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    Zhang Yimou's strangest and most troubled film, abounds in hysterical, mannered Tang Dynasty-era palace intrigue and dehumanized CGI battle sequences.
    Like his "Hero" and "House of Flying Daggers," Zhang Yimou's third global-market gigaproduction makes little sense in narrative terms even after two screenings, but the sets, costumes, and cinematography are so intoxicating that it doesn't much matter.