Focus Features | Release Date: November 1, 2013
8.2
Universal acclaim based on 523 Ratings
WATCH NOW
LowbrowCinemaNov 11, 2013
Despite all the effort and talent on display, DALLAS BUYER'S CLUB is surprisingly ineffectual. It doesn't really tell us anything we don't already know and it's questions never go beyond the obvious. This is basically a good TV movie of theDespite all the effort and talent on display, DALLAS BUYER'S CLUB is surprisingly ineffectual. It doesn't really tell us anything we don't already know and it's questions never go beyond the obvious. This is basically a good TV movie of the week. A serious issue film that used to air on HBO Saturday evenings. Now Lifetime would pick it up. Jared Leto however is quite a revelation, but he even is forced to come and go as the plot points desire. If you've seen the trailer for DALLAS BUYER'S CLUB, you've seen the movie... and in fact... the trailer is better! Much better. Expand
csw12Jan 5, 2014
The film succeeds in the acting department (especially from McConaughey) but after a solid first half, the movie becomes repetitive and a little uninteresting.
adhamhanyJan 28, 2014
If not for the performances, particularly that of Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto, this movie would have been absolutely boring. They give what is perhaps the best performances of their careers. Jennifer Garner was good, but not great.If not for the performances, particularly that of Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto, this movie would have been absolutely boring. They give what is perhaps the best performances of their careers. Jennifer Garner was good, but not great.

The pace is a bit too slow. It couldn't accommodate two hours. They should have made this movie shorter. Bet even though the film felt boring at different scenes, the ending ones were good.

I enjoyed the characters and performances. The plot, on the other hand, left a lot to be desired.
poewilsonFeb 6, 2014
Again we have the always inaccurate biopic, which in movie-dom is usually a chance to see quality acting if nothing else and Dallas Buyers Club is no exception. We receive two excellent portrayals from McConaughey and Leto and to be frankAgain we have the always inaccurate biopic, which in movie-dom is usually a chance to see quality acting if nothing else and Dallas Buyers Club is no exception. We receive two excellent portrayals from McConaughey and Leto and to be frank this why you will be watching the film. The supporting cast does not deliver anything spectacular, but luckily the story does not need them to. Cinematically the film is lacking, but it does have heart and that is why you should be watching this film. If you are homophobic or have issues with a film that lacks action or comedy then do not watch it. Everyone else enjoy.
Entertainment value 7.8
Poe Scale 6.5

Acting: 1.5/2
Cinematography: 1/2
Editing: 1/2
Effects and Design 1/2
Writing: 2/2
chrisjones914Apr 14, 2014
Weird! That's the only word to describe the oscar nominated film Dallas Buyers Club. Now don't get me wrong this is not a bad movie, it has many things going for it! Such as fantastic performances from both McConaughey and Leto ( Leto's beingWeird! That's the only word to describe the oscar nominated film Dallas Buyers Club. Now don't get me wrong this is not a bad movie, it has many things going for it! Such as fantastic performances from both McConaughey and Leto ( Leto's being the stand out in my opinion ) and an interesting story. It's just that the whole aids concept is really weird to me, i didn't know much about it going into the film and I honestly don't have a real opinion on it coming out. In the end I have a new found respect for the victims of aids and a movie like this is sure to raise awareness about those victims as well as their treatment methods. All in all Dallas Buyers Club was an alright movie, but its one that I will probably never watch again! Expand